Rahzael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Low intensity cardio(walking) on an empty stomach?

I've read in several places that this is a great way to lose fat, with one source going as far as to claim that you burn 300% more fat in the morning before you eat anything if you take a brisk walk before eating. While this seems like a pleasant notion, my current understanding of fat loss doesn't seem to add up with the claim.

The claim seems to be that if you don't have any "fuel" in the morning and you were to do cardio, your body would burn more fat than usual. As I understand it, your body is never burning only fat, and it seems like walking on an empty stomach would burn exactly the same amount of fat, but incidentally burn off much more muscle as well since you are running on zero carbohydrates.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things, but am I missing a piece of this equation, or is this all just claptrap?

kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kevzhi90 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lets say u burn 200 cal walking, and 80% of it is fats, so its 160 cal burned of fats = near 20g.
    lets say u burn 600 cal while jogging, and 40% of it is fats, so its 240 cal burned of fats = close to 30g. o.0??

not too sure though, i did fasted cardio morning with carb cycling , works great for me. manage to reduce belly by 1 inch and abs became way more define best of all, i stayed on the same weight. ( 3 weeks period )

Rahzael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can anybody supply some insight on why this is or is not an effective way to burn fat specifically? And if it does, do you wind up burning much more muscle off in the process as well, or is it purely fat burning that is increased?

2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking cardio

Originally Posted by Rahzael View Post
    Can anybody supply some insight on why this is or is not an effective way to burn fat specifically? And if it does, do you wind up burning much more muscle off in the process as well, or is it purely fat burning that is increased?

To answer your question in short, early morning low intensity cardio is an ideal way to burn fat and preserve muscle. To explain further the body has the ability to switch the types of fuel it uses to supply the energy it needs. The higher the intesity like sprinting, or vigorous weight lifting requires blood glucose or sugar in blood. This is a very short supply minutes. The body also has a storage of glycogen in the liver that is released and converted to glucose when needed this lasts for about 30 minutes with moderate intensity cardio. If you continue to go at a moderate intensity past that time the body must use muscle as a source of fuel to supply energy demands. The reason for this is that muscle is broken down and converted to energy much easier and at a faster rate than stored body fat. By doing cardio upon waking your blood glucose is very low so there isn't any sugar to burn. The body will always burn blood sugar before fat. This is a known medical fact. By doing low intensity cardio the body doesn't need to use muscle as a fuel because the demand for fast vigorous muscle contractions is not present.

To simplify the body prefers energy sources in the following order
    glucose (blood sugar)
    glycogen (fuel stored in the liver, and muscles as a reserve)
    protien (more easily converted to fuel during vigorous activity)
    fat (perfered during low intensity states like sleeping, and when blood sugar is low)
    to burn body fat during low intensity exercise don't trigger the other energy systems by doing vigorus cardio)

marathon runners, endurance athletes have very little muscle because they're constantly using it as a fuel source.

hope this helps

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thank you for that clear and concise post, 2n2out.
    --- Nick ---

2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2n2out has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're welcome. It's my pleasure to pass on any knowledge I have that may be helpful in some way.

dhillman88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2n2out View Post
    To answer your question in short, early morning low intensity cardio is an ideal way to burn fat and preserve muscle. To explain further the body has the ability to switch the types of fuel it uses to supply the energy it needs. The higher the intesity like sprinting, or vigorous weight lifting requires blood glucose or sugar in blood. This is a very short supply minutes. The body also has a storage of glycogen in the liver that is released and converted to glucose when needed this lasts for about 30 minutes with moderate intensity cardio. If you continue to go at a moderate intensity past that time the body must use muscle as a source of fuel to supply energy demands. The reason for this is that muscle is broken down and converted to energy much easier and at a faster rate than stored body fat. By doing cardio upon waking your blood glucose is very low so there isn't any sugar to burn. The body will always burn blood sugar before fat. This is a known medical fact. By doing low intensity cardio the body doesn't need to use muscle as a fuel because the demand for fast vigorous muscle contractions is not present.

To simplify the body prefers energy sources in the following order
    glucose (blood sugar)
    glycogen (fuel stored in the liver, and muscles as a reserve)
    protien (more easily converted to fuel during vigorous activity)
    fat (perfered during low intensity states like sleeping, and when blood sugar is low)
    to burn body fat during low intensity exercise don't trigger the other energy systems by doing vigorus cardio)

marathon runners, endurance athletes have very little muscle because they're constantly using it as a fuel source.

hope this helps
    Great. How about having a scoop of whey before the low intensity cardio? I've heard a lot that whey first thing in the morning is good to help preserve muscle because you've fasted for hours in sleep. Is it more ideal to take one before the low intensity cardio or after?

phunkinc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phunkinc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phunkinc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phunkinc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've heard Whey is great in the morning and Casein is great at night. I'd imagine Whey is great in this instance, eh?

t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t3nchi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm no expert but from my research (reading and watching videos from people who walk the talk), there is no significant evidence that "cardio on empty stomach first thing in the morning" is better than cardio any other time of the day, whether your stomach has food or not.

It's cals in vs cals out, NET at the end of say, a week's time. 3500 cal deficit, 1 pound lost.
    "You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back."

AESTHETIC BEASTMODE Keyboardsmasher's Avatar
    Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's an article by Layne Norton on this site talking about it, if I could find it I would have posted it. fasted cardio for long durations burns muscle, doing it multiple times a week hinders your progress. HIIT is a far better tool for fat loss. fasted cardio is one of those "myths" that continues to stay around..
    Get shredded or die tryin.. face down ass up.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here is a good article by Lyle McDonald on the topic is excellent. Basically if you are lean, it might help. If you are not lean it won't make a difference.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...t-loss-qa.html

Projarrod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wait, I usually do 20mins of cardio after I eat breakfast should I do 20 mins before I eat breakfast?

vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vic0928 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Keyboardsmasher View Post
    There's an article by Layne Norton on this site talking about it, if I could find it I would have posted it. fasted cardio for long durations burns muscle, doing it multiple times a week hinders your progress. HIIT is a far better tool for fat loss. fasted cardio is one of those "myths" that continues to stay around..
    what is considered long durations? 1 hour?

tp03151993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very nice response. on point and detailed. Much appreciated.

samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) samson_419 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is method of cardio

Fasted fast paced 2.5 mile walk after drinking a half cup of black coffee & 12.5mg Ephedra

So far I lost 10 pounds in less than two weeks. Arm size has stayed the same, dropped a inch off my waist

Seems to be working
    Height 5'10"

Weight 212 Lbs.
    Bi's 18.5"
    Waist 33"
    Bench 285x3
    Squat 405x3
    Deadlift 435x1

As of 01/29/2015

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by samson_419 View Post
    This is method of cardio

Fasted fast paced 2.5 mile walk after drinking a half cup of black coffee & 12.5mg Ephedra

So far I lost 10 pounds in less than two weeks. Arm size has stayed the same, dropped a inch off my waist

Seems to be working
    its not from fasted cardio, but calorie deficit that is causing the fat loss
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've read in several places that this is a great way to lose fat, with one source going as far as to claim that you burn 300% more fat in the morning before you eat anything if you take a brisk walk before eating. While this seems like a pleasant notion, my current understanding of fat loss doesn't seem to add up with the claim.

The claim seems to be that if you don't have any "fuel" in the morning and you were to do cardio, your body would burn more fat than usual. As I understand it, your body is never burning only fat, and it seems like walking on an empty stomach would burn exactly the same amount of fat, but incidentally burn off much more muscle as well since you are running on zero carbohydrates.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on these things, but am I missing a piece of this equation, or is this all just claptrap?
    You burn more fat fasted, body wants to preserve blood glucose.
    Exercise Physiologist
    M.S. - Exercise and Sport Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland

*Note: I am in no way, shape, or form suggested for anyone to do anything. Anything I post is purely based off of my own personal experience and opinions. If you decide to follow or do anything I say, that is of your own free will and not my suggestion.*

BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBoyDre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A walk in the morning on an empty stomach is a good way to burn fat and keep your muscles. Wake up, drink a glass of water and go outside for a walk for about 30 min to 1 hour, just walk, listen to music or audiobooks. When you get home, don't eat, drink another glass of water and wait for 30 min before eating, that way you will get the benefits of the after burn process. It really helps. You should do this 5-7 days a week. Workout 3 or 4 days a week with weight lifting. Make sure you include squats and deadlifts in your training. For a stronger core I suggest front squats, it will hit your abs pretty hard. Start your leg day with back squats followed by front squats. Hope this helps.

omzyea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do 2.5 mile walk everyday on empty stomach. only drink BCA'S AMINO acids and L carnitine mixed with water just before i go out to walk. lost 4kg in my first week. i am now in week two. Also do heavy weight lifting in the afternoon.

Start 92kg

Now 87.5kg

End 80kg hoping to achieve this in a month time

stubborn fat is very hard to get rid off.

Started cycling clenbuterol first day.
    Plan:
    40mg 2 days on and off
    40mg 2 days on and off
    then
    80mg 2 days on and off
    80mg 2 days on and off
    then
    120mg 2 days on and off
    120mg 2 days on and off
    then
    80mg 2 days on and off
    80mg 2 days on and off
    then
    40mg 2 days on and off
    40mg 2 days on and off

Diet
    NO BREADS
    NO SWEETS
    NO MEATS WITH BAD FATS
    STRICT PORTIONS OF RICE.

(LOW CARB, GOOD FATS, HIGH PROTEIN DIET)

EAT 3 TIMES A DAY
    TAKE PROTEIN OR COFFEE IF I GET HUNGRY IN BETWEEN MEALS
    Last edited by omzyea; 12-20-2015 at 03:21 PM.

birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) birdlegs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To me, a calorie burned is a calorie burned no matter when and how you are doing it.
    Currently cutting

prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100) prateekdw is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thankyou for the information !