WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool How much Protein do YOU eat?

I've been eating my body weight in protein. I.e. I weigh 140 and that's how many grams I eat.
    I just got an email from calorieking stating that too much protein is bad for you and that only 10% to 35% of your calories should come from protein. Right now I'm doing 40/40/20. Ps I snickered at the 10% number. Having taken an Anthropology class I know that our ancestors were originally scavengers and ate the meat off caucuses other animals left behind. There's no way our bodies have evolved to survive off such a low level of protein.

Calorie king said too much protein could also cause osteoporosis. On the same note i heard that weight lifting can increase bone density. So here I find an interesting conundrum:

Weight lifters have high protein diets, which theoretically cause osteoporosis. However their activities aid in increasing bone density?

Are there any long time lifters in here that suffer from osteoporosis?

Finally what do you weigh and how much protein do you eat daily? And weigh in on this article please

WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WrkAhoiq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WrkAhoiq View Post
    I've been eating my body weight in protein. I.e. I weigh 140 and that's how many grams I eat.
    I just got an email from calorieking stating that too much protein is bad for you and that only 10% to 35% of your calories should come from protein. Right now I'm doing 40/40/20. Ps I snickered at the 10% number. Having taken an Anthropology class I know that our ancestors were originally scavengers and ate the meat off caucuses other animals left behind. There's no way our bodies have evolved to survive off such a low level of protein.

Calorie king said too much protein could also cause osteoporosis. On the same note i heard that weight lifting can increase bone density. So here I find an interesting conundrum:

Weight lifters have high protein diets, which theoretically cause osteoporosis. However their activities aid in increasing bone density?

Finally what do you weigh and how much protein do you eat daily? And weigh in on this article please
    nm... 1g per lb of bodyweight is spot on thanks amanda 76. Just read your reply in another thread

Registered User White_Chocolate's Avatar
    White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) White_Chocolate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeap! That's what I do. I also make sure I have about 50-60g of fats and the rest of my calorie intake comes from carbs

Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000) Nightbird573 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hope too much isn't THAT bad for you..lol..I weigh 120lbs and sometimes get over 200g of Protein.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Actually, I eat AT LEAST 1g per pound of bodyweight. It's been a really long time since I've had a meal plan that's had me under 170g per day. When bulking, I was eating over 200 (obviously, my intake of every macro increased with increased calories).

There are so many other things that can contribute to bone loss that you'll probably find pretty common in a society that eats ****-tons of processed foods. As examples, overconsumption of caffeine, wine, sugar, and phosphoric acid (in soft drinks, which also contain caffeine and sugar - YAY! LOL). Smoking. Underconsumption of healthy, natural fats and (thus) fat soluable vitamins important to bone maintenance (relying on protein powders and vegetarian sources for protein can contribute to this problem if you don't make a point of getting enough fat along with those often low-fat sources). Underconsumption of a variety of vegetation. And, of course, in women hormonal changes can add to all that. What bad habits has our society adapted to that DOESN'T lead to osteoperosis? Can they say without a doubt that protein is the primary reason for it in cases, or simply that it may be a contributer to people who are already at risk of having bone density issues? Animal protein does contain things that bones need aside from naturally occuring fats like phosphorus and B-12. And there have been studies that show increased calcium absorption if plenty is available and no change in bone density with high protein diets IF you are providing the body with everything else bones need.

Maybe the issue is more in making sure you have a well-rounded diet than those sources advocating extremely low protein diets want you to think.

pt1214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pt1214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pt1214 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm on a clean bulk right now so I'm at about 1.5gprotein/lb bodyweight. I'd have to agree with Amanda76, so many things out there that can be/have been linked to bone loss. I just try to make sure that my bones get everything they need!

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1-1.5 grams per lb. of bodyweight.
    ^_^

Bulking towards fatdom bouncingpuka's Avatar
    bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I am eating 200g a day, making that a little under 1.5 g per lb of bodyweight (I am now weighing in at around 144lbs)

Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The recommended protein intake is .8g/kg body weight, 1g/kg for atheletes, and then some extra for pregnant women (babies are parasites!!). for children- 2g/kg. Notice KG body weight, not pound. So those are the recommended numbers... people have different needs and different protein turnover rates

the reason it is said that excess protein causes osteoporosis is because it CAN. IN EXCESS. What you dont use is broken down into stuff you need and stuff you dont need. The stuff you dont need is nitrogen. the nitrogen is excreted by your kidneys (as urea, which is made in the liver, or ammonia<--high levels of this in your body is BAD BAD) and takes apparently calcium along with it.

so i guess it all depends on your personal protein requirements and your bodies calcium levels. im not a kidney expert by any stretch of the imagination

Weight lifting DOES increase bone density. Muscles..well tendons technically, are pulling on the bone which increases bone remodeling and mineralization. so there ya go.

Something I just read...also interesting..
    " Dietary protein req is influenced by the carbohydrate content of the diet. When intake of carb is low, amino acids are deaminated (broken down) to provide carbon skeletons for the synthesis of glucose that is needed.....If carb intake is less than 130g/day (prob depends on person), substantial amounts of protein are metabolized...Therefore, carb is considered to be 'protein sparing,' because it allows amino acids to be used for repair and maintance of tissue protein."
    -thats from one of my biochem books...still doesnt solve the nitrogen and calcium problem.

phew...busted out like 3 books for that short response...i keep telling myself its kind of like studying..
    "Ohm Shanti Shanti Shanti"

Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theresaann is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, leading nutrition researcher at Cornell University. This is the only accurate clinical research ever conducted on this subject and the largest epidemiological study ever conducted as well. The science demonstrates unequivocably that once our diet goes above 10% ANIMAL protein (NOT plant based protein) degenerative disease of ALL kinds correspondingly rise as well. This book is highly provocative and really makes its case solidly.

Another very good and thoroughly researched read relative to this issue is "Eat to Live," by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He echos the less than 10% animal protein guideline, but doesn't suggest that people must be totally plant based to be healthy.

BTW, when PLANT sources of protein were tested above 10% there was no corresponding rise in disease conditions, and it appears that plant protein is much more assimilatable by human beings. There are some really good plant based protein sources that lend themselves well to supplementation, such as hemp seed, chia seed, brown rice and pea before one even considers soy, which many site as not ideal due to potentially toxic phytates and the possibility of hormonal disruption, but even that is controversial.

Personally, I feel WAY better at much lower levels of animal protein and my bodyfat stays effortlessly lower. Of course I eat only WHOLE plant foods, ie, no processed crap. I do have some fish (1-2X/month) and eggs (2-4X/month) occasionally. I will also up the eggs to a few times a week if I feel like it.

Dr. Fuhrman generally recommends no more than 12 ounces of animal protein per WEEK for best health. Sounds totally crazy on a protein obsessed bodybuilding forum eh? but not when you read the science. The dogma that only animal protein build strong, high performing muscle tissue is not founded in true science. Check out veganbodybuilding.com for more info too. Peace!

Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sarah Gold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There is something called the Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Amcid Scoring system that is used by government agencies (not just our own) to classify proteins. Basically a long fancy term for does it have all the essential amino acids and rates its digestibility.

The highest score possible is 1.0- meaning it contains all essential AA
    Eggs- 1.0
    Milk Protein- 1.0
    Beef/poultry/fish- 0.90

Plant Proteins:
    Soybean- 1.0
    Kidney beans- .68
    Whole wheat bread- .4

This scale was meant to be used as a guide for vegetarians and vegans to make sure they got enough quality protein in their diet...it has to do with certain foods missing certain amino acids..blah blah blah...

anyway, you will need MORE plant proteins if you dont consume animal products because of the spread of essential AAs....why they say to eat rice with beans...

The soy story...there are tons of books out there that go both ways.

a wise professor told us last week:
    "In God We Trust...everybody else: bring data."

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Abena View Post
    There is something called the Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Amcid Scoring system that is used by government agencies (not just our own) to classify proteins. Basically a long fancy term for does it have all the essential amino acids and rates its digestibility.

The highest score possible is 1.0- meaning it contains all essential AA
    Eggs- 1.0
    Milk Protein- 1.0
    Beef/poultry/fish- 0.90

Plant Proteins:
    Soybean- 1.0
    Kidney beans- .68
    Whole wheat bread- .4

This scale was meant to be used as a guide for vegetarians and vegans to make sure they got enough quality protein in their diet...it has to do with certain foods missing certain amino acids..blah blah blah...

anyway, you will need MORE plant proteins if you dont consume animal products because of the spread of essential AAs....why they say to eat rice with beans...

The soy story...there are tons of books out there that go both ways.

a wise professor told us last week:
    "In God We Trust...everybody else: bring data."
    psssttt -->> your text books need up dating.

The answer is 'depends' < and I would be VERY careful giving out 'exact' answers when it comes to this sort of advice....

www.pubmed.com << try this.

And here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119171501
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=113913051

IvankaGrump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Theresaann View Post
    Read "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, leading nutrition researcher at Cornell University. This is the only accurate clinical research ever conducted on this subject and the largest epidemiological study ever conducted as well. The science demonstrates unequivocably that once our diet goes above 10% ANIMAL protein (NOT plant based protein) degenerative disease of ALL kinds correspondingly rise as well. This book is highly provocative and really makes its case solidly.
    Is that 10% rule clearly stated in the book? I didn't read it, but I read "Eat To Live", and in the part about The China Study dr Fuhrman wrote that it was noticed that when animal protein was used more than once a week the percentage of diseases grew accordingly. I wish there was a study comparing the effects of eating 0% animal protein, 10%, 20% and so on.

But I am not sure that all kinds of animal protein are the culprits. For example, whey is actually beneficial for humans as far as we know, while casein might be carcinogenic. Increased mortality is associated with the consumption of red meat, and consumption of fish and poultry seems to decrease mortality. So what kind of animal protein people eat should also be taken into account.

agree with Emma-Leigh...the answer is always "it depends."

never a clear answer since everybody is different. some societies live exclusively on plant products and some only on blood and milk. nutrition is not an exact science.

and part of that came out of my med biochem book- new edition 2008. used for all medical liscensure exams.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    agree with Emma-Leigh...the answer is always "it depends."

never a clear answer since everybody is different. some societies live exclusively on plant products and some only on blood and milk. nutrition is not an exact science.

and part of that came out of my med biochem book- new edition 2008. used for all medical liscensure exams.
    2008 is still pretty old in terms of 'up to date' information.

There is a lot of research out from people such as Tipton and Phillips in regards to the protein requirements of athletes and it is markedly different from the traditional 50% carb/ 20% protein, 30% fat diet fluff that most people still follow.... Additionally - the is growing research out about the impact of high protein diets on health and composition - with the benefits seen in diabetes, obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc etc....

It is changing daily.

Don't follow the text - do your own research on the information out and use your knowledge to work out what results are valid.

karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll eat between 1-1.5 g for each lb I weigh...I basically just listen to what my body is saying in terms of need.
    ...karoline...

In all honesty I think If your consuming enough water and a balanced diet I dont personally think bone loss is a problem. I get 700+mg of calcium outside of my multi a day so I'm not too concerned.

Regarding the animal protien debate I would like to point out one thing. Early humans (pre pre historic) were scavangers we sat up in trees and waited till the lions and tigers hand finished knawing on the gazelles then we jumped down and gobled up what was left. We learned/adpated to be plant eaters when food was scarce and our populations grew. The advant of farming has also been linked with cavities. Since I've increased my animal protien and stopped eating processed carbohydrates (raw veggies and whole grains only for me) my dental hygenist raves about how much cleaner my teeth are looking and that I'm doing a much better job cleaning them. The thing is I'm not doing anything different besides eating healthier.

Finally consuming enought animal meat in your diet prevents pernicious anemia.

Other deficencies that can occur from not eating enough meat:
    Zinc and Iron deficiency
    -Iron is needed for healing, getting oxygen to the cells, to help produce the connective tissues in our body, some of the neurotransmitters in our brain, to maintain the immune system and DNA synthesis amoung other things
    - Vitamin D, A & Omega -3

I like the body I have from lifting weights and the things I do. I need protein and lots of it to do it. The best source is animal protein. If I only live to 70 instead of 90 but in my time I managed to maintain a body that strong and able to live an active life style then so be it. PS I'm from the south and all the meat eating women in my family that died of natural causes (i.e. not a car crash) Has lived to 90 or older.

FINALLY the average American eats meat. The average American life span passed 78 in 2008. So that tells me we're all eating meat and living 80% of a century. That also tells me we're living long enough to see our children, grand children and sometimes great grand children live longer than 20 years. I'm okay with that. For me it's about the quality of my life and not the longevity. I'd rather live 50 full happy ones than 90 carefully planned ones. I love meat. I'm gonna eat it with relish.
    Last edited by WrkAhoiq; 10-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.

FINALLY the average American eats meat. The average American life span passed 78 in 2008. So that tells me we're all eating meat and living 80% of a century. That also tells me we're living long enough to see our children, grand children and sometimes great grand children live longer than 20 years. I'm okay with that. For me it's about the quality of my life and not the longevity. I'd rather live 50 full happy ones than 90 carefully planned ones. I love meat. I'm gonna eat it with relish.
    I love meat too. But the life span has increased due to medical advancements. I would say most people, at least down here in the south, over the age of 50 are on some kind of medication for some kind of chronic problem (hypertension, diabetes, COPD..etc). We arent any healthier, just have better ways to deal with the problems. We have shifted from death from infectious diseases (better medicine and public health) to death from chronic diseases--living longer and eating crappier (#1 cause of death- coronary heart disease). Read the Healthy People 2010 reports...not all of it...that would take forever. Americans have one of the longest life spans but are consistently ranked among the WORST for the health indicators--physical activity, obesity, tobacco use....--. Intersting: The 2010 report shows that we arent getting any better, especially in the physical activity department. the country has remained static or has declined in this specific area for all age groups, classes, race, demographics, etc... the only group that has increased physical activity since Healthy People 2000 are the American Indians and only because of huge health education projects.

www.healthypeople.gov

Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Glamorous has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I average my bodyweight in protein....sometimes not even intentionally. I just make sure to eat protein at every single meal I have (6) a day and it works out.
    Hard work = Hard body.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ...and some only on blood and milk.
    Wonder how that would be with ice in a blender...

Bulking towards fatdom bouncingpuka's Avatar
    bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    Wonder how that would be with ice in a blender...

oh dear God.....hahahaha