Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sushi For Your Body: 101

(NOTE: I am definable not a nutrition expert; however, as an average joe who have lost over 60 pound and gain about 20 pound of muscle, and who also happens to own and operate Japanese restaurant, I am fairly confident and know what I am talking about. ALSO, I am not native English speaker, so please bare with me on the grammar.)

At this point, I am pretty sure everybody have heard and tried sushi in their lifetime. There are many misconception and errors that people go by and I am here to address some issues and guideline for your sushi eating habit. First thing first, let's go over some true and false statement about sushi.

1) Is sushi a raw fish?
    A) False. Not ALL sushi are raw fish. Raw fish would be call sashimi. Raw fish with rice ball underneath would be call Nigiri. Sushi rolls are call Maki.

2) Is sushi healthy for you?
    A) True AND False. Unfortunately, most of Japanese-American restaurants sushi is packed with unhealthy condiments, such as mayo. If you pick right type of sushi, it is an excellent source of your nutrition and your protein.

3) Is sushi at buffet consider as sushi?
    A) In my opinion, sushi and buffet should never be in the same sentence, unless of course, if sushi restaurant SPECIALIZE in buffet style. If you go to Chinese restaurant buffet and there are sushi, please look over carefully. Most of sushi in Chinese buffet have bene out for long time and it's very low quaility "fish".

If you eat right type of sushi, it's an excellent source for your omega acid, fish oil, protein, vitamins and minerals. Like I stated above, most of Japanese-American sushi are not good for your body. Typically California roll (most basic sushi in America) contains:

- Sushi Rice w/ vinegar
    -Seaweed
    - Imitation crab meats with PACK of mayos.
    - Avacado
    - Cucumber.

Everything is good, except for your imitation crab meats with mayos. Imitation crab meats alone is very very low calories (about 70 calories per 4 sticks of crab meats. Typically, they put 2 sticks in the roll), but with mayo in mix, it is very fattening and high calories that you don't desire.

So what rolls would be good for your body? The most excellent way to go would be sashimi, which is just raw fish. If you can't handle or afraid to try raw fish alone, consider rolls such as : Spicy tuna roll and spicy salmon roll.

Your typical Spicy tuna roll and spicy salmon roll contains:

-Sushi rice w/ vinegar
    - Seaweed paper
    - Spicy salmon/Spicy tuna mix-------Chunk of salmon or tuna with hot rooster sauce and sesame oil (different with restaurants) for tiny bit of "nutty" flavor and mixing agent.
    - Cucumber.

If you're watching your fat content or calories content, ask them to: use imitation crab meat only, instead of mix. Easy on the sesame oil. ASK FOR BROWN RICE OR SOY PAPER.

Above all, I would highly recommand sushi to anyone who is on diet or weightlifters. It's just matter of picking out good sushi.

If you have any questions please don't hesist to ask away. Thanks and good eating!

pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting, I didn't know mayo is often mixed into imitation crab meat. The stuff I've had doesn't seem to have mayo in it.

Sashimi's definitely a great protein source. I wish I could have some every day.

AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK713Spike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know mayo is often mixed into imitation crab meat. The stuff I've had doesn't seem to have mayo in it.

Sashimi's definitely a great protein source. I wish I could have some every day.

Very often. Many sauces on sushi are mixture of mayo or heavy cream as well. Think when you eat your sushi and if there is think sauce on time it's usually mayo mixture. Good example would be spicy mayo sauce that many Japense restaurants put on their sushi. It's like a thick orange sauce.

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What exactly about mayo is unhealthy?....
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50) pageturner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RuckstaR View Post
    Nothing, really, so long as you know you're eating it. It's very calorie dense, though, so you can easily overeat if you don't know it's in your food.

For people who watch calories intake and fat intake, they need to watch out for it. 700 calories per 100 grams is quite a bit.

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nothing, really, so long as you know you're eating it. It's very calorie dense, though, so you can easily overeat if you don't know it's in your food.
    Basically what I was getting at.

To me, someone who preaches that mayo makes something unhealthy, when mayo basicly = eggs + reasonable/healthy fat, is someone to be disregarded.

Knowing what is in your food and aproximating your macros/calories is an entirely different issue.
    negs:
    OWES ME:

Originally Posted by AK713Spike View Post
    For people who watch calories intake and fat intake, they need to watch out for it. 700 calories per 100 grams is quite a bit.
    Who accidentally eats 700 calories worth of mayo???

That's the equivalent of 7 tablespoons of fullfat, undiluted mayo....
    negs:
    OWES ME:

sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everything you need to know: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

Mmm avocado and eel rolls.

Who accidentally eats 700 calories worth of mayo???

That's the equivalent of 7 tablespoons of fullfat, undiluted mayo....
    It was an example how mayo's calories are dense. You be very suprise how much mayos or heavy cream condiments are in sushi.

It was an example how mayo's calories are dense. You be very suprise how much mayos or heavy cream condiments are in sushi.
    Ya and there are 3000 calories in 10 cups of oats; you'd be suprised at how many calories are in oats, they're very dense.....

Seem stupid? That's because it is...just as stupid as using the calories in 7 damn tablespoons of mayo as a way of indicating how calorie dense it is, it is a completely unrealistic quantity especially for sushi....
    negs:
    OWES ME:

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    White rice > brown

mayo > all

Question thou:
    What about extremely fancy rolls with tons of ingredients? A wonderful restaurant in my area serves what they call a Flaming Roll, it has everything in it, tempura, various sauces, several different kinds of fish and roe, white rice etc etc etc etc. I estimate that a typical serving would be around 600 calories with about 25 grams of fat and 20 grams protein. How close am I? Just curious.

Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    White rice > brown

mayo > all

Question thou:
    What about extremely fancy rolls with tons of ingredients? A wonderful restaurant in my area serves what they call a Flaming Roll, it has everything in it, tempura, various sauces, several different kinds of fish and roe, white rice etc etc etc etc. I estimate that a typical serving would be around 600 calories with about 25 grams of fat and 20 grams protein. How close am I? Just curious.
    Depend on your sauce and fish, but I would say you're about right on your calories and protein, maybe higher on fat content.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wouldn't jump the OP regarding his mayo warning. There are many people who wish to lose weight and they go to eat sushi thinking it's good for fat loss after they read it in a magazine with some small cucumber and rice 150 calorie roll photo, and then I LOL at them eating a 600 calorie roll... And they are like: "Yeah! This roll has tuna in it! It's lean! very low calorie. What's so funny?"

Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000) Preparation is just really nice. (+1000)

always wondered how many cals are in these bad boys
    ♦ ɴɣϲ ϲrew ♦

Often post on my iPhone so please excuse dat dere gramatical mistakes.

**The NO FAP Movement (Compilation of Info)**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139933473

ITT: We stop letting our days pass by meaninglessly
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139182063

Wake the F*CK up!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147729493

Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000) Kickerr is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wish I could have sushi every day. If I could, I would eat it every day, every meal. However, it's so expensive for such little food. :/

hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hrg217 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in my limited experience, california rolls dont have mayo in them and the only fats are from avacado. However, spicy tuna rolls do have a mayo mix

almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50) almightyares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Soybean oil (refined) and whatever the f*ck else those off brands put in, because I have seen anything from hydrogenated oils to more preservatives than mayo should need. Homemade mayo's are good.

Why exactly does everyone feel the need to comb through posts like these to find something to start sh!t with?

Other than that mess, I still cant eat raw fish. I started eating sushi about a year ago, and I always ask for the fish cooked. Its a mental thing, I cant bring myself to eat it. Thanks for the suggestion on the spicy roll, Ill have to try it out.

StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) StangBanger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Preparation View Post
    [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2bcrH7uHq1E/TE3T-rrcH1I/AAAAAAAAAJk/PLZWayC8_u0/s1600/Unagi.jpg]

always wondered how many cals are in these bad boys
    myfitnesspal.com will tell you.

high fat... but delicious fat... I love me the eel and eat plenty of it.. even on my cut...

IIFYM!
    -=[IIFYM Crew]=-

-=[I eat PASTE]=-

Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000) Kamapuaa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sashimi tastes best and has the best macros (in general), don't bother getting the rolls.

OP is 22 and owns/operates a sushi restaurant? Crazy.

Eels are good source of proteins - what the calories really depend on is - packaged or fresh?

Typically eel (one piece) is about 50 - 80 calories. Many restaurant put eel sauce on top (it's usually a teriyaki sauce), so add depend on the sauce. One piece also have about 5g to 8g of proteins.

Originally Posted by Kamapuaa View Post
    Sashimi tastes best and has the best macros (in general), don't bother getting the rolls.

OP is 22 and owns/operates a sushi restaurant? Crazy.

I was blessed enough to gain lot of trust and fiance from investors and bank loan officers at early age =]

What did you mean when you said to ask for soy paper? I thought the seaweed wrapper around rolls is pretty nutritious.

Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Woods55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Definitely agree with the OP about the sauces used in americanized sushi.
    I used to work in a sushi restraint and was training to be a sushi chef till I had to leave for college. They use a fair amount of mayo and other fats. You would be suprised at how much cals can go up when eating sushi. Especially to me who is only allowed to go get sushi on the local sushi bars all you can eat night cause without I could probably eat the worth of my car in sushi in a couple of days
    going back to bro science

Goal:
    Get big so when I finally cut I'll look good

Favorite foods
    1. Sushi
    2. oats
    3. broccoli with rooster sauce
    4. CHEESE!

Bigger, Stronger, Faster. kingof_queens's Avatar
    kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000) kingof_queens is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was blessed enough to gain lot of trust and fiance from investors and bank loan officers at early age =]
    Good for you man. I wish you success with your business!

What did you mean when you said to ask for soy paper? I thought the seaweed wrapper around rolls is pretty nutritious.
    Perhaps I should have elaborate little bit futhur on soy paper wrapper.

Most people who eat soypaper is because they just cannot stand seaweed paper wrapper. Also, if you're watching your carb count, chief can roll sushi with soypaper at ease (because its smooth texture) without sushi rice. Soypaper is also consider health option because of calories, but also, some people cannot digest seaweed paper well.

Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Djaye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    don't really touch sushi when i'm cutting but off-season i have regularly as a postworkout meal

iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHAG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i only eat dragon maki, and scorpion maki, omg i want sushi now

Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rosssi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sushi train is a staple on my refeed days
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do"

http://www.maniacfitness.com/interviews/ros-magtoto-interview/

Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000) Burrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    shrimp tempura AHHHH