Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pharaphoks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why am I always hungry?

I started my bodybuilding journey some time ago and I have experienced different eating behaviors. I obviously do eat more than I used to but only good foods. I eat in average 5 meal a day:
    - meal 1: 1cup oatmeal (sometimes 2) + 1 scoop whey protein + 1 apple
    - meal 2: 2 or 3 apples and turkey chops
    - meal 3: protein bar + muscle milk
    - meal 4: maybe 1 apple or string non fat mozarella cheese
    - meal 5: 1,5 cup of fat free cottage cheese

I also have a protein bar before each workout with my supplements and a protein shake post workout. I workout everyday for 2 to 3 hours and I drink a lot of water and yet, I'm always starving. I don't understand why, my trainer said because my metabolism is speeding up? I also have trouble sleeping and at times I wake up in the middle of the night and have a bar or a protein shake because I just can't sleep with that feeling of hunger and stomach ache.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Listing meal frequency and the names of the foods you eat doesn't tell us much, but it does appear that your diet is likely acutely deficient in at least dietary fat and micronutrient.

What's your estimated BMR, TDEE, caloric intake and the macronutrient composition of those calories?

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pharaphoks View Post
    I started my bodybuilding journey some time ago and I have experienced different eating behaviors. I obviously do eat more than I used to but only good foods. I eat in average 5 meal a day:

I also have a protein bar before each workout with my supplements and a protein shake post workout. I workout everyday for 2 to 3 hours and I drink a lot of water and yet, I'm always starving. I don't understand why, my trainer said because my metabolism is speeding up? I also have trouble sleeping and at times I wake up in the middle of the night and have a bar or a protein shake because I just can't sleep with that feeling of hunger and stomach ache.
    you body is telling you are hungry because you ARE hungry. You body wants real food and enough to survive on. 2 thinks you are failing to provide.
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not a single vegetable was eaten that day....

Get in more fiber/veggies, protein and fats. You'll find a diet higher in these things to keep your hunger at bay better than what you are doing now.
    "Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy." - Alan Aragon.

DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As I can see, you're having 1 meal (breakfast) and 4 snacks !! That's why you are hungry. Add some veggies, other fruits, some other complex carbs (whole wheat pasta and breads, sweet potatoes, etc) and some proteins (like chicken, steak, fish, tofu, eggs, etc).

With a couple adjustments you'll be less hungry! Start with that and after make some changes according to your goals.

ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThatWei is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You are always hungry because you eat like my 10 year old cousin.

Yet you work out everyday for ~2 hours O_O
    hi (╯°□°)╯┻━┻

NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000) NDeeps27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    because you eat 5 meals a day that are equivelent to my little sisters daily intake
    try bigger meals?
    meal 4 is hardly a meal
    also: less frequent, larger meals = fuller, longer
    can't out train a bad diet

can't out diet bad training

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's hard to say, hunger is a multifaceted sensation. You could be hungry because you're not eating enough calories, you're not feeling satiated because you don't get enough protein, or it could be a neural reason such as a boredom or stress response. Try bumping up your calories 10% and see how you feel after a few days.

Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat4Suby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't see how you are still alive on a diet like this....no fat or complex carbs...I hope this is a troll

Men's Physique Competitor danv027's Avatar
    danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you're hunger because leptin is low & ghrelin is high

Well I'm trying to lose some weight and get lean so I try to keep a calorie deficit of 500 cal. and the meals that I mentioned equal 1500 cal... I know that I don't each much vegetables but I do eat lots lots of protein, and isn't protein supposed to make you feel fuller than carbs and fats?

danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50) danv027 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're body is trying to raise BF levels to a healthy level...that's why the hormones translate themselves to a subjective feeling of hunger.

I would suggest eating some carbs and hitting the gym.

Originally Posted by danv027 View Post
    You're body is trying to raise BF levels to a healthy level...that's why the hormones translate themselves to a subjective feeling of hunger.

I would suggest eating some carbs and hitting the gym.
    I work out everyday! What kind of carbs should I eat?

DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DjOnEChuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Fibers are your friends !! Eat some brocoli ... very low cals and lots of fibre !! )

you're hunger because leptin is low & ghrelin is high
    Can you explain in more detail please?

Can you explain in more detail please?
    I sure can. Leptin is a hormone that makes you feel full, so its low when your body thinks it needs to gain BF levels. On the contrary, Ghrelin is a hormone that makes you feel hungry, so this is high when your body thinks it needs to gain BF levels.

Your body is a survival machine, so it does not want to be starved or bloated, it wants you to be healthy and stay at a moderate BF level for survival. That's why bodybuilding makes no sense from an evolutionary perspective, it doesn't help you survive. Mr. Olympia is probably very close to death if he was left a few days with no food (beside feeding on muscle) SO your body will continue to make you feel hunger even if you eat your ass off, until you get up to the right BF level.

I don't know what you look like or how much weight you're trying to lose, but it sounds like you might be better off eating a bit more, including more carbs, and trying to gain some muscle...Then maybe try to cut down at a later point.

Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mozitski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I started eating at maintenance I was soo hungry, I couldn't go an hour without feeding myself. I think this was my body adjusting itself as I was starving it. Now, the hunger episodes are gone and I actually feel full again. it's been a long time since I got this satisfaction.

I sure can. Leptin is a hormone that makes you feel full, so its low when your body thinks it needs to gain BF levels. On the contrary, Ghrelin is a hormone that makes you feel hungry, so this is high when your body thinks it needs to gain BF levels.

Your body is a survival machine, so it does not want to be starved or bloated, it wants you to be healthy and stay at a moderate BF level for survival. That's why bodybuilding makes no sense from an evolutionary perspective, it doesn't help you survive. Mr. Olympia is probably very close to death if he was left a few days with no food (beside feeding on muscle) SO your body will continue to make you feel hunger even if you eat your ass off, until you get up to the right BF level.

I don't know what you look like or how much weight you're trying to lose, but it sounds like you might be better off eating a bit more, including more carbs, and trying to gain some muscle...Then maybe try to cut down at a later point.
    Thank you for the explanation. I actually eat everytime I feel that unpleasant hunger, and I have most of the time protein bars which I always carry with me for convenience but each one is 320 cal (32g protein, 2g sugars), is it bad if I always snack on them and exceed my calorie intake limit even with protein?

Originally Posted by Mozitski View Post
    When I started eating at maintenance I was soo hungry, I couldn't go an hour without feeding myself. I think this was my body adjusting itself as I was starving it. Now, the hunger episodes are gone and I actually feel full again. it's been a long time since I got this satisfaction.
    That's what is exactly happening to me! I'm always starving! How long did it last before it went away? Did you actually eat or did you starve yourself?

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have most of the time protein bars which I always carry with me for convenience but each one is 320 cal (32g protein, 2g sugars), is it bad if I always snack on them and exceed my calorie intake limit even with protein?
    The outcome will be the same in terms of body fat and composition if you consume a protein bar, stop for a McDonald's Cheeseburger or eat a candy bar (containing 320 calories).

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    The outcome will be the same in terms of body fat and composition if you consume a protein bar, stop for a McDonald's Cheeseburger or eat a candy bar (containing 320 calories).
    I understand what you mean but isn't a protein bar more nutritional? I thought my body would use it more efficiently and thus it will not increase my bodyfat? How do I know if my body is using all the protein I eat and is not storing it as fat?

I understand what you mean but isn't a protein bar more nutritional? I thought my body would use it more efficiently and thus it will not increase my bodyfat? How do I know if my body is using all the protein I eat and is not storing it as fat?
    You need to start learning the basics about nutrition. Please see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    You need to start learning the basics about nutrition. Please see:
    Ok thank you, I already read the first sticky though. I also read that if I don't eat when I'm hungry, my body will break down my muscles and use its nutrients even if I got all my macros in for the day? So when I used up all my calories and I'm starving, I should not eat??

I also read that if I don't eat when I'm hungry, my body will break down my muscles and use its nutrients even if I got all my macros in for the day?
    You read something that isn't true.

What is the point of eating clean then?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ^^^^This is awful. My 37 pound Cocker Spaniel eats more than you and he's not fat.

Get rid of your 'plan,' and start eating several of these every day:

Read the stickies. If you already read them, read them again.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scoper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You will not gain weight unless your eat at a calorie surplus. You could eat Mcdonalds cheeseburgers all day. As long as you stay in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You would probably be lacking in several micro and macro nutrients. But you would still lose weight. It's calories in, calories out. Once you understand that you can start to build a diet that is a lot more mentally and physically satisfying.

What is the point of eating clean then?
    The point is that certain foods, mostly fruits and vegetables, can be dirty. Thus, if a food might be dirty, you should wash it before you consume it to ensure that it's clean.

OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000) OliFs is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to be hungry all the time too until I started doing intermittent fasting. Rarely hungry ever since.

Btw make sure to differentiate hunger from cravings.
    Natural Bodybuilding - Posing, Training, Advice & more www.youtube.com/olivercherekfitness

JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) JackedPlusRich will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Look at this article.

bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

I find eating 2 big meals (breakfast and after training) with two smaller meals (before training/lunch and before bed) helps with my hunger. Having small, crappy meals just leaves me wanting more afterwards. Smashing a 400g steak, massive serve of veggies, 2 pieces of high fibre bread and a protein shake after training leaves me feeling full and satisfied.

Just off the top of my head, your lack of fibre will leave you starving as well, you should have at least 25g/day for health and feeling full.