nthrax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Swimming for weight gain

I am a 20 year old male with
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 106lb

So you see the problem right there. I pretty damn skinny, not even slim, skinny. I've tried on and off getting into a GYM routine, but it just doesn't workout for me. Right now where I reside there is an indoor pool in the building. The GYM however is a good long walk away.

So I was wondering if I could use swimming as an exercise to gain weight. I will also be using a supplemental weight gainer called "CytoGainer". Swimming is something I enjoy and I think i can stick with.

I tried browsing this forum for some time and there is alot of advice for weight gaining through the gym and weight loss through swimming, but nobody has covered weight gain through swimming. Or maybe i couldn't find it.

Any help/tips/advise would be appreciated.

(no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (no radnes) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i lol'd

supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Youll get skinnier
    Some People are nothing more than a skid-mark on the toilet bowl of life, never let them bring you down the drain with them
    Currently ranked 6th Total @Powerliftingwatch.com Masters rankings @220 Raw
    # 36 Mens 1565 RAW TOTAL
    UPA NAtionals Winner 4-17-2011

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid

physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10) physioman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by supy View Post
    Youll get skinnier
    I really don't think you will gain too much weight by swimming, but you can check bodies of swimmers, they look pretty ok, symmetrical, muscled, but definately not that strong of a weight lifter or body builder

I don't want to grow big and huge but just normal. Not skinny. If swimming is really bad idea for gaining weight, how about home exercises?

Should I buy a few dumbbells and start squatting, push-ups, and other small exercises? is that a better option?

nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nathwoz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [not sure if serious.jpg]

Gain weight? Eat loads.

Hit some weights.

Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    swimming will increase your appetite though.

SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000) SideFX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Asking if you're gonna gain weight swimming is almost like asking if you're gonna gain weight running marathons... You're best bet is to do short distance swim sprints, but honestly, I don't think it will work well at all. Swimming is fairly analogous to cardio.

Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nthrax View Post

So you see the problem right there. I pretty damn skinny, not even slim, skinny. I've tried on and off getting into a GYM routine, but it just doesn't workout for me. Right now where I reside there is an indoor pool in the building. The GYM however is a good long walk away.

So I was wondering if I could use swimming as an exercise to gain weight. I will also be using a supplemental weight gainer called "CytoGainer". Swimming is something I enjoy and I think i can stick with.

I tried browsing this forum for some time and there is alot of advice for weight gaining through the gym and weight loss through swimming, but nobody has covered weight gain through swimming. Or maybe i couldn't find it.

Swimming = Cardio = Weight Loss

Your best bet would be to save the time swimming and walk the long distance to the gym -or even better, get on a bicycle to get there and back and you've added a bit of low intensity cardio to you pre and post workout. Seriously though if you want to gain some muscle you need 3 things -

1. The right diet, healthy and lots and lots of it, high in protien, complex carbs etc. You can add some whey powder and creatine into your diet for under $50 if you cant get the right intake on food alone.

2. Gym - try SS, its a good one. there plenty of other programs though that might suit you better. Just make sure it includes bench, squats and press.

3. Rest - decent nights sleep as often as possible.

Try this for 5-6 weeks then tell us how you get one, my money is you will see massive changes in your body which will lead onto other things i.e higher self esteem, more confidence etc....

Just dont try and swim to gain mucle. It wont work.

good luck

joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000) joen270 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    not sure if serious. wait, hope not serious
    Some call it obsession, I call it dedication

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Gaining weight = EAT EAT EAT EAT!!!! Dude, your the smallest person I have met on this site yet. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND EAT!

It doesn't work for you? No, it will work, you just have to stick to it.... oh, and I forgot to mention... EAT!!!!

Whats a good long walk away? If its under 30 min, you need to stop whining and go.

Oh, one last important detail...

EAT!
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chickenwings will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DavisForman View Post
    Gaining weight = EAT EAT EAT EAT!!!! Dude, your the smallest person I have met on this site yet. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND EAT!

It doesn't work for you? No, it will work, you just have to stick to it.... oh, and I forgot to mention... EAT!!!!

Whats a good long walk away? If its under 30 min, you need to stop whining and go.

Oh, one last important detail...

EAT!
    LOL, thats very true.

EAT BOY, EAT UNTIL YOU PASS OUT AND THEN EAT SOME F***ING MORE.

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    2 of the 3 days i go to the gym to workout (i do 3days of cardio at home) i have to walk. GET OVER IT

Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Musclezs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    : O : O : O

omg dude you need to lift some weights or you're gonna die.
    01-2009: 139 lbs
    01-2010: 181 lbs
    2010 goal : 200 lbs - 10% bf

Originally Posted by Chickenwings View Post
    Swimming = Cardio = Weight Loss

Your best bet would be to save the time swimming and walk the long distance to the gym -or even better, get on a bicycle to get there and back and you've added a bit of low intensity cardio to you pre and post workout. Seriously though if you want to gain some muscle you need 3 things -

1. The right diet, healthy and lots and lots of it, high in protien, complex carbs etc. You can add some whey powder and creatine into your diet for under $50 if you cant get the right intake on food alone.

2. Gym - try SS, its a good one. there plenty of other programs though that might suit you better. Just make sure it includes bench, squats and press.

3. Rest - decent nights sleep as often as possible.

Try this for 5-6 weeks then tell us how you get one, my money is you will see massive changes in your body which will lead onto other things i.e higher self esteem, more confidence etc....

Just dont try and swim to gain mucle. It wont work.

good luck
    Okay, i'll try going to the gym, though I am horribly inconsistent at things like these. GYM for me is boring as f**k. I've tried 2-3 times before in the past two years, before giving in after afew weeks without any visible results.

Could you elaborate on what exactly is "SS"? Starting strength by rippetoe?

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Okay, i'll try going to the gym, though I am horribly inconsistent at things like these. GYM for me is boring as f**k. I've tried 2-3 times before in the past two years, before giving in after afew weeks without any visible results.

Could you elaborate on what exactly is "SS"? Starting strength by rippetoe?
    starting strength is a workout routine, look in the sticky FAQ in this sub-forum.

anyhoo no sure if serious, so i'll keep this short:

1) lift some weights, pick anyone structured routine on this site and stick with it, or get a trainer at the Gym to make you one
    2) EAT EAT EAT.. if you're that skinny EAT, take your cyto gainer too...
    3) eat more
    4) Still not gaining weight? Step 3
    5) if you starting gaining to much fat, eat a little bit less until you dont.
    6)stick with it for more that 2-3 weeks...

- you'll have to stick with it longer than a few week mate, try a few months before you give in
    - alot of the time you wont even notice the results, especially if you're paranoid about your weight and looking at yourself each day to see the gain (which you are) try and ask someone who hasnt seen you for a while
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    before giving in after afew weeks without any visible results.
    Because you're not EATING!!!!!!!

This isn't rocket science man.

Think about it like this. Your body is like a building currently under construction. The bricks and other supports are the muscle. The construction and maintenance workers are like your energy/calories. The new bricks and supplies coming in every day are your protein. Once they are put onto the building, they are now part of the building (become muscle).

If you continue to eat like a bird, there is not going to be any bricks coming to finish the building, or workers to labour making the building.

Weight lifting is 20% of the results. You can lift all you want, but how do you expect to get bigger if you don't eat? How? Your just going to get muscle from somewhere?

EAT! EAT! EAT!

... and start SS
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene