TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheUbermensch is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Sugar and Carb Count Limits

I'm a believer in IIFYM, but I still try to eat fairly clean to ensure proper nutrition. However, how much does sugar matter in terms of total carb count? Out of the 240g of carbs I'm allowed daily, I sometimes get around 25% (60g) of sugar. Most of these sugars are from milk, fruit, protein powder, post-workout recovery drinks, and cereal. Is that too much sugar? What's a good limit?

KSchweitzer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, too. My daily carb limit is 256 and I have managed to stay within that, but the majority of the carbs that I do get are from the same sources as you, particularly fruit. The scientific side of me wants to say that as long as you are hitting your macros and calorie goals (and obviously getting adequate protein) that it doesn't matter what makes up those calories. I'd just like some reassurance there.

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't know if there's ever been a limit identified regarding glucose intake (assuming calories/macros/micros are moderated - obviously there is a limit for people who have awful diets and are sedentary). If you're active, not prone to diabetes, and you're moderating calories/macros/micros, then I think it'd be tough to eat too much glucose.

I know there can be some metabolic complications with excessive fructose intake, unfortunately most studies have participants consume excessively high levels of fructose in order to attain these results ("excessively high" relative to what people on these forums will consume - not "excessively high" for the people sucking down a two liter of Coke per day). We're talking 200-250g of sheer fructose, which is probably 3-5x what you're consuming now. From every study I have seen, anything under 80g is safe. Once you get to 100g or more, there tends to be some mixed results from one study to the next. So if you're drinking a lot of soda and/or a ton of fruit, there may be some general health complications.

If anyone has more definitive research on the consumption of 100g+ fructose per day, please post! Would like to know for sure.
    All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat. BDeblo's Avatar
    BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheUbermensch View Post
    I'm a believer in IIFYM, but I still try to eat fairly clean to ensure proper nutrition.
    made me giggle.

If you are consuming adeqaute amounts of micronutrients and staying within your calorie limit you're good. nothing wrong with 60g of sugar especially since all carbs get broken down into a sugar. assuming you are getting plenty of fiber and micronutrients with the remainder of your carbs I'd say you have no reason to worry.
    Ditch your meal plan and develop a diet that combines sound nutrition with the foods you enjoy by eating when you see fit in the portions that allow you to achieve your macronutrient and caloric needs while providing sufficient micronutrients, energy and satiety. One can never forget that nutrition is a tool, not a restraint; the enjoyment of life should always come first. Psychological, sociological and emotional health should never be threatened by the attempt to increase physiological health.