dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Casein after cardio & non-weight days?

Hi

As I understand it, the main differences between casein and whey protein are:

Casein:
    a) Is slowly realised and absorbed by your body over up to 7 hours.
    b) Has an anticatabolic affect, which prevents your body from eating into your muscles for energy

Whey:
    a) Very quickly absorbed (within 30 - 60min)
    b) Encourages protein growth

If any of these points are incorrect, feel free to point it out!!

Assuming this to be right, I've decided it would be best ONLY to take Whey directly after training (When your body needs a sharp protein boost) and possibly the following morning.

I think on cardio days casein could be better for directly after training because (due to point b) it might stop your body from taking energy from the muscles you're trying to develop on the weight days. ??? ?

This is all prompted by me reading about how doing cardio makes gaining muscle that much harder. Also when I say cardio what I really do is Tabata workouts not standard cardio.

user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) user94984100999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dohste View Post
    Hi

As I understand it, the main differences between casein and whey protein are:

Casein:
    a) Is slowly realised and absorbed by your body over up to 7 hours.
    b) Has an anticatabolic affect, which prevents your body from eating into your muscles for energy

Whey:
    a) Very quickly absorbed (within 30 - 60min)
    b) Encourages protein growth

If any of these points are incorrect, feel free to point it out!!

Assuming this to be right, I've decided it would be best ONLY to take Whey directly after training (When your body needs a sharp protein boost) and possibly the following morning.

I think on cardio days casein could be better for directly after training because (due to point b) it might stop your body from taking energy from the muscles you're trying to develop on the weight days. ??? ?

This is all prompted by me reading about how doing cardio makes gaining muscle that much harder. Also when I say cardio what I really do is Tabata workouts not standard cardio.
    I take Casein at bedtime,and early in the morning with my first meal,but prior to workout,i take whey,then whey post
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever
    "Forged in Iron...Built to Destroy"

"To survive war......you've gotta become war"....John Rambo

Visit my journal......http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121852841

dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi thanks for the feedback!

So whats you're thinking on taking casein in the morning with your first meal?

It sounds a bit similar to what I was thinking - i.e. casein in evenings and mornings and then only use whey directly after weight training.

But after reading around it seems most people seem to consider casein only good directly before bed. Anyone got a reason as to why to use whey in the morning instead of casein?

D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi thanks for the feedback!

So whats you're thinking on taking casein in the morning with your first meal?

It sounds a bit similar to what I was thinking - i.e. casein in evenings and mornings and then only use whey directly after weight training.

But after reading around it seems most people seem to consider casein only good directly before bed. Anyone got a reason as to why to use whey in the morning instead of casein?
    Casein can certainly be helpful in the morning. Personally, I would run out of my cottage cheese WAY too quickly if I ate it morning and night, but if you can swing it it's a great way to avoid catabolism before lunch.
    That being said, I don't think it's going to provide the effect you're seeking after cardio. Although point B is correct in your statements, it's somewhat incomplete. The casein protein isn't going to take effect anywhere near the point at which your body will be recovering from the cardio. Your body will be feeding off aminos within your muscles at around 45 minutes post, which is why whey is the best choice.
    Essentially, you only need casein when you will be going a while without food. As long as your conscious, you should be eating. This is why casein is conveyed as the "bedtime protein".

Hi D4rkhorse thanks for the info!

Yeah the way you put that makes sense alright!

So then I'm back to Casein before bed and mornings (cause I norm struggle to get any decent amount of protein in before lunch at 1) and then Whey after any workout - weights or cardio.

Whats with the whey pre and post workout?

I mean I sort of get the idea - pump your body full of protein beforehand so it can make immediate use of the protein even during training and then again afterward for recovery.

But can your body absorb and make use of so much protein inside of such a sort time?

I mean the stuff is pricey enough to buy so def don't want to be wasting it!!

D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi D4rkhorse thanks for the info!

Yeah the way you put that makes sense alright!

So then I'm back to Casein before bed and mornings (cause I norm struggle to get any decent amount of protein in before lunch at 1) and then Whey after any workout - weights or cardio.

Whats with the whey pre and post workout?

I mean I sort of get the idea - pump your body full of protein beforehand so it can make immediate use of the protein even during training and then again afterward for recovery.

But can your body absorb and make use of so much protein inside of such a sort time?

I mean the stuff is pricey enough to buy so def don't want to be wasting it!!
    That's a great question, and it's a concept you may want to experiment with. Yes, you need "fuel" pre and post-workout, but how much you need depends on your weight, how hard you work out, etc. My advice is to experiment with it a bit. Usually, the advised serving is 1 scoop (~20g) pre-workout and 2 scoops (~40g) post-workout. During workout isn't as necessary and in that situation I would actually recommend using something like a BCAA supplement intra-workout since it's more completely utilized at a time like that.
    Keep your diet clean so you can monitor how the protein is affecting you. Some signs that you're consuming too much are an increase in bodyfat (whey can be stored in this way if your body has an excess amount) and even if you're farting a lot. Excessive gas is a sign that your body isn't completely digesting all the protein you're putting in and is a way of saying "I don't need all of this". At 200 pounds, I've found that 3/4 of a scoop pre-workout and 1 1/2 scoops post-workout is working quite well for me, but everyone is different.
    Hope that helps!

Hi thanks for the info. Sounds like good advice!

And also for the "too much farting and protein" connection. I've noticed a few times (not every week or anything) that I'd be a bit more windy than norm. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it's happening on weight days, i.e. when I'd be taking most protein.