xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Front Squats form

I've recently added front squats to my routine, and I must say they really hit the legs well. I make sure to go deep on this exercise (whilst although I aim for an ATG back squat, video evidence shows that I actually only go a bit lower than parallel). Anyway, I started with really low weight (44lbs) just to get the feel. This was about a month ago.

I tried 88lbs yesterday, which is still light, and very easy for me in terms of leg strength - BUT, I found it difficult to hold the bar. I use a crossed arm position.

I've read the stickies and I went on exrx:

The front squat is an outstanding variation of the squat, except that it is performed with the barbell resting across the FRONT of the shoulders, in front of the neck. It is a variation which will maximally stress the quadriceps, but can be very difficult to perform from a mechanical perspective.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...rontSquat.html

However, I'd like some video which focuses on the hand/arm position for this exercise. I try to position it on my delts and below my throat and over my upperchest. I woke up with 2 bruises on my shoulder this morning where the bar rested.

I tried watching some videos on youtube but they don't focus on how to correctly position your arms crossed. I'd like some tips about this.

Thank you.
    Last edited by xuerebx; 06-03-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you got bruises on your shoulders, you probably did it right. in time, the bruising may stop though.

i prefer the clean position, but either way, it's important to keep your elbows up throughout the entire movement, and this will ensure that the bar stays on your shoulders. most people feel pressure on their neck from that bar. keeping your torso upright will also keep the bar on the shoulders.
    i'm hungry

phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I essentially rest it over my front delts and the bar will be touching my neck/adam's apple.
    Sheiko? My journey to 1,500+ @ 165

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167881761

Keep On Getting Strong

Best Gym Lifts

475/315/610 @ 165

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it pretty quick.

Here's a nice video of Rippetoe teaching the front squat: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...he_front_squat

And can't go wrong with the Squat RX series:
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    if you got bruises on your shoulders, you probably did it right. in time, the bruising may stop though.

i prefer the clean position, but either way, it's important to keep your elbows up throughout the entire movement, and this will ensure that the bar stays on your shoulders. most people feel pressure on their neck from that bar. keeping your torso upright will also keep the bar on the shoulders.
    Yeah I tried to keep my elbows as high as possible, although I felt this put a bit of strain on my arms.

Originally Posted by phal View Post
    I essentially rest it over my front delts and the bar will be touching my neck/adam's apple.
    Yes, that's what I basically did. It was a bit lower than my adam's apple.

Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    It is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it pretty quick.

Here's a nice video of Rippetoe teaching the front squat: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...he_front_squat

And can't go wrong with the Squat RX series:
    I can handle a light weight pretty easily, but once I put on 44 more pounds it proved to be a bit difficult, even though when it comes to back squats I can squat much more.

Thank you for the link, I'll take a look.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just out of curiosity, OP, how many reps do you do per set? I ask because in my case, the bar tends to slip from the groove quite easily, so I rarely do more than eight reps (usually in the five to eight range). I also use a clean position; I could never get the hang of the crossed-arm way of doing it.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Just out of curiosity, OP, how many reps do you do per set? I ask because in my case, the bar tends to slip from the groove quite easily, so I rarely do more than eight reps (usually in the five to eight range). I also use a clean position; I could never get the hang of the crossed-arm way of doing it.
    I alternate reps weekly. This was my routine the past 3 weeks:

44lbs: 3 sets of 15-20reps
    66lbs: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    88lbs: 5 sets of 4-6 reps

I find higher reps with a lower weight easier than higher weight and lower reps - in the case for legs. For the upperbody I prefer a lower rep range.

EDIT: I never tried the clean position. I tried the crossed arm position the first time and kept with it. Is it safer?
    Last edited by xuerebx; 06-03-2011 at 05:42 AM.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It comes down to which position feels better for you. I tried doing the crossed-arm position but could never stop the bar from slipping out. For me, the clean position is better. It does have the potential to strain the wrists more due to them being bent back, but with proper stretching and wrapping my wrists, I've had no problems. Experiment if you want to, but ultimately, the choice is yours.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    It comes down to which position feels better for you. I tried doing the crossed-arm position but could never stop the bar from slipping out. For me, the clean position is better. It does have the potential to strain the wrists more due to them being bent back, but with proper stretching and wrapping my wrists, I've had no problems. Experiment if you want to, but ultimately, the choice is yours.
    I started out with a cross armed position because of the reason you mentioned - strain on the wrist. Although I guess with some good stretching that could be avoided. I've started doing some stretches for the legs lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIxfZd2eSFY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0uwEPzVsqk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=8...F33D90038D812B
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV5gMMxOwyY

In that order (with another stretch which youtube decided to remove).

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bruises on delts=you're doing it correctly.
    Continue to hold it in the exact same place and your body will adapt and will not bruise in a week or two.

But IMO you're going wayyyyyyyyyy too light. Theres no benefit to practicing form with 44lbs or even 88lbs if you can handle alot more weight (which I suspect you can). You need to practice holding the bar/form with a weight that actually requires effort.
    Misc Strength Crew

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i get bruises and stress marks on my back and shoulders everytime i front and back squat

but i hate cross arm position

i hold like i am at the ending postion for a clean

Originally Posted by scarboro View Post
    Bruises on delts=you're doing it correctly.
    Continue to hold it in the exact same place and your body will adapt and will not bruise in a week or two.

But IMO you're going wayyyyyyyyyy too light. Theres no benefit to practicing form with 44lbs or even 88lbs if you can handle alot more weight (which I suspect you can). You need to practice holding the bar/form with a weight that actually requires effort.
    Well the difference between my back squat and front squat is not THAT big. I can back squat 187lbs (85Kg), but I certainly wouldn't able to front squat that amount. The only problem I'm having is having the bar resting on my delts. My arms feel week in this position.

I actually created this thread because this morning I felt a bit of knee discomfort. I'm not feeling it anymore, in fact that discomfort passed away quickly, but I guess since I felt it it must have meant I did something wrong.

I guess I need to give it a few more weeks till the front squat feeling becomes natural.

EDIT: That deadlift of yours! IMPRESSIVE!

Originally Posted by ftwrestler View Post
    i get bruises and stress marks on my back and shoulders everytime i front and back squat

but i hate cross arm position

i hold like i am at the ending postion for a clean

Yeah this position is the same as the Rippetoes video I watched today, linked in this thread:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...he_front_squat

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mate, seriously ditch the cross arm. I tried to do it like that a year ago, hated it and didn't front squat until 3 weeks ago.

The clean position will hurt and be unconfortable for the first few sessions, but after that, it just a bit of disconfort that you won't feel on the large scheeme of things. Will strengthen the wrists big time.

I got up to 220x3 ATG in the first session. I think it takes a while until the form and core get strong enough for you to be able to really feel it in the legs when performing the exersise. I still spend most of my effort keeping vertical and therefore mostly feeling it in my abs during the motion.

Also, a bonus is that my military press has gone up because of the front squat. The bar just doesn't seem heavy on the bottom position and my wrists are able to take the load a lot better. Try the clean position, seriously.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    Mate, seriously ditch the cross arm. I tried to do it like that a year ago, hated it and didn't front squat until 3 weeks ago.

The clean position will hurt and be unconfortable for the first few sessions, but after that, it just a bit of disconfort that you won't feel on the large scheeme of things. Will strengthen the wrists big time.

I got up to 220x3 ATG in the first session. I think it takes a while until the form and core get strong enough for you to be able to really feel it in the legs when performing the exersise. I still spend most of my effort keeping vertical and therefore mostly feeling it in my abs during the motion.

Also, a bonus is that my military press has gone up because of the front squat. The bar just doesn't seem heavy on the bottom position and my wrists are able to take the load a lot better. Try the clean position, seriously.
    Seeing as everyone seemingly does it in the clean position, yourself included, I'll have to try them out now.

I assume the wrists must be kept straight throughout the whole motion, otherwise - ouch.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    I actually created this thread because this morning I felt a bit of knee discomfort. I'm not feeling it anymore, in fact that discomfort passed away quickly, but I guess since I felt it it must have meant I did something wrong.
    well, it may have been beneficial if you had mentioned that originally, lol.

front squats emphasize the quads better than back squats, so they can cause some tightness in the knee. i have found that stretching after my workout, or even between sets is helpful. also massaging around the knee area works great for me. i am sure foam rolling would do wonders, but i have not tried it.
    i'm hungry

I've been doing stretches lately, 2-3 times a week. I'll try and focus more on my quads and knees during stretching.

Yeah I forgot to mention it in my first post!

Bumping this thread with results....

Clean grip is definitely better! I managed to perfect the grip so I only felt pressure on my shoulder instead on my wrist. Took me 2 sets to get there. Light weight still though, 66lbs since I went up to 15 reps. I'll try upping it to 110lbs during the next 2 weeks.

My new 1RM for back squats is 205lbs...so there's a bit of a difference. Hopefully I can get it within respectable difference between front and back squats in the coming months.

Cheers for the advice guys, it paid off!

I'll ask this here instead of creating a new thread.

My wrist still hurts when I front squat using a clean grip. Also, my arms are not perpendicular to the floor when front squatting. I try to keep my elbows up (hence getting closer to perpendicular) but it's nearly impossible for me (it gets very painful and I start leaning back).

Isn't the wrist pain bad for the wrists due to the position? I'm just a bit wary. And should the arms be perpendicular to the floor, or just high enough as much as your body allows whilst maintaining good form throughout the motion?

Thank you.

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)

My wrist still hurts when I front squat using a clean grip. Also, my arms are not perpendicular to the floor when front squatting. I try to keep my elbows up (hence getting closer to perpendicular) but it's nearly impossible for me (it gets very painful and I start leaning back).

Isn't the wrist pain bad for the wrists due to the position? I'm just a bit wary. And should the arms be perpendicular to the floor, or just high enough as much as your body allows whilst maintaining good form throughout the motion?

Thank you.
    clean grip is a bitch to get used to but its still better than cross arm anyday. for me i just try to remember elbows up, chest out and maintain that position throughout the whole lift.

to get used to clean grip try and work your way into the grip one hand at a time a few times everytime you work out. this will get you used to the position and help develop wrist flexlibility quicker.

oh, and honestly, i only have 3 fingers on the bar for my clean grip. thats really all you need to keep it in position.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thank you.
    How could they be? Are you saying that your humorous (upper arm) is not parallel to the floor?

If your wrists hurt it is probably because you are pushing up with your arms and applying force on your wrists

Originally Posted by de_barathrum View Post
    clean grip is a bitch to get used to but its still better than cross arm anyday. for me i just try to remember elbows up, chest out and maintain that position throughout the whole lift.

to get used to clean grip try and work your way into the grip one hand at a time a few times everytime you work out. this will get you used to the position and help develop wrist flexlibility quicker.

oh, and honestly, i only have 3 fingers on the bar for my clean grip. thats really all you need to keep it in position.
    I guess I do need to improve my wrist flexibility. My flexibility in general is atrocious!

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    How could they be? Are you saying that your humorous (upper arm) is not parallel to the floor?

If your wrists hurt it is probably because you are pushing up with your arms and applying force on your wrists
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought they should be straight?

Kinda like this:

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I guess I do need to improve my wrist flexibility. My flexibility in general is atrocious!

Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought they should be straight?

Kinda like this:

[img]http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/exerciseImages/sequences/688/Male/l/688_4.jpg[img]
    I suppose, but his hands look pretty far out to the side to me.

Mine stay pretty close to parallel with the ground.

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thank you.
    The clean grip takes a little bit of getting used to BUT, once you get used to it, it's not that bad.
    Also the guy in the picture (above in the thread) looks like he is holding the bar with all 5 fingers. I find that holding the bar that way burns my wrists up. However if I hold the bar with only my index and middle finger while it rests on my front delts it is alot more comfortable on my wrists. And it is alot easier to keep the bar up (triceps parallel to the floor). Nothing wrong with keeping the weight low until you get the form down. Once you get the form down and you're not worrying about it form or discomfort, it's easier to increase weight.

Like in the top half of this picture (below):

I'll try the two finger method (hah) then, thank you. Thank you all for the replies.

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Try Zercher squats and use the thin pad.