elporthole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elporthole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elporthole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

stretching for olympic lifting

i have been around powerlifting however olympic lifting seems to require much more flexibility. anyone have any tips on what to stretch and how to do it specifically for clean and press/snatch/overhead squat/front squat?
    i would really appreciate this.
    thanks

Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't stretch beforehand. Warm-up with an empty oly bar with full cleans, snatches, drop-snatches, overhead squats, power snatches, jerks, good mornings, and overhead press.

One of my favourite warm-up moves is BTN snatch press, increasing the depth at which I catch the bar until I'm drop snatching.

Stretch after you're done lifting. O-lifting requires a lot more flexibility in your hips, posterior chain, and ankles.

One stretch to avoid at all costs is this one:

99% of the time people do it, they're pulling on their foot, and if you have large calves and/or hamstrings, they'll act as a fulcrum -- the end effect is stretching the **** out of your ACL, which is very bad. Don't do this one.
    gympunk - "Thank God my wife hasn't ever been bothered by cum shooting around."

Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sergis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    oly warmups themselves are all stretches you need. i remember when i started out, i couldn't do an overhead squat at all but eventually i could squat deeper and deeper and now i can even use a slightly narrower grip when i warmup

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    there's nothing wrong with static stretching beforehand IMO (depends on the stretch), the oly lifts themselves never made me very flexible (except for snatches and cleans with shoulders/wrists respectively), the small flexibility I do have came from mostly static and some dynamic stretching pre and post workout; I'll do straddles, leg kicks, sometimes very deep bulgarian lunges, butterflies, and other hamstring stretches; I've been concentrating alot on adductor/hip flexor stretches with a deep lunges as well as cosak stretch (think 1-leg strattle), for the oly lifts to help your flexibility (in your legs) you already have a requisite level of flexibility IMO

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    there's nothing wrong with static stretching beforehand IMO (depends on the stretch), the oly lifts themselves never made me very flexible (except for snatches and cleans with shoulders/wrists respectively), the small flexibility I do have came from mostly static and some dynamic stretching pre and post workout; I'll do straddles, leg kicks, sometimes very deep bulgarian lunges, butterflies, and other hamstring stretches; I've been concentrating alot on adductor/hip flexor stretches with a deep lunges as well as cosak stretch (think 1-leg strattle), for the oly lifts to help your flexibility (in your legs) you already have a requisite level of flexibility IMO
    I agree with this. I stretched my hamstrings and adductors before squats to help with depth. Now I stretch my rectus femoris before and during squats to reduce the stress on my patella tendon.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do a fair bit of wrist and ankle stretching as part of my warmup.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do some static wrist stretching, and dynamic shoulder stretching for warmup.