ISellHomes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Neck Pain with Shoulder Shrugs

Last night I was trying to do dumbbell shoulder shrugs. 8 sets of 12 reps with 40lbs in each hand. I have done this exercise weekly for the past month. Last night, however, my neck/spine grew a sharp pain. I was performing the exercise in front of a mirror, and the movements were controlled and slow. I had a slight roll to my shoulders (bringing my shoulder blades toward each other on the downward portion).

This morning the pain had lessened, but it still feels like I have a "crick" in my neck when I turn so far in any direction

It feels like I strained and managed to slightly compress my vertebrae with my neck muscles during the lift. Has anyone else run into this? Any thing I should avoid? Could the roll have contributed to the pain?

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Did you keep your head in a neutral position?

Shrugs

Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    Did you keep your head in a neutral position?
    I tried, but I mah have ducked my head down to meet my shoulders now that I think about it. But it's difficult to tell when your shoulders are coming up if your head is coming down.

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    gotta keep your head straight forward.. if you even peek to the side you're F'd...

might want to "hang" between your sets..... (takes weight off spine and allows everything to even out after being compressed)..

40 lbs' in each hand may not compress the spine alot.. but by "hanging" between sets, it may alleviate your pain(s)...
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

Neck Pain

Originally Posted by vegasdsm View Post
    gotta keep your head straight forward.. if you even peek to the side you're F'd...

might want to "hang" between your sets..... (takes weight off spine and allows everything to even out after being compressed)..

40 lbs' in each hand may not compress the spine alot.. but by "hanging" between sets, it may alleviate your pain(s)...
    Well, the compression is in my neck (the "c" vertebrae I think) not my back, so hanging really wouldn't help. It feels like I unconciously flexed my neck muscles hard enough to compress my vertebrae. While it's not feasible, it feels like hanging by my head would relieve the stress. Does anyone know any stretches or techniques that could achieve that kind of relief?

Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sean Patterson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

why does everyone give bad advice

first of all about sholder shrugs
    do not roll your shoulders
    the fucntion of your traps to simple shrug up and down is plenty
    there is no need at all what so ever to roll the shoulders
    shrug the weigh tup contracting your traps
    and release it slowly and keep in good fasion up and down
    stop rolling your shoulders thinking its better for your traps
    im sure this will help a lot
    godbless
    sean
    SeanPatterson

すごい~* pepe your angus IamAnAlien's Avatar
    IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sry for bringing back an old thread. but this happened to me today AND a few days ago.
    last time (last friday) it happened when i did side-lifts with very inproper form.
    this time it happened when i did shrugs. i gotta admit my head was lurking when i did the barbell shrugs.
    i did them like this:

i think i gonna try it in 4 days one last time and focus on my neck beeing straight.
    if anybody knows some tips, just let it out.
    - Das Ass thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142109391&p=828290691#post828290691

- BJJ/Greco Roman - Focus - One Life - Balance -

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's likely while you were sleeping (especially if you sleep on your side, stomach or roll) that one of your vertebrae got stuck out of place either in a rotated or side-bent position.

It happens especially when you tire out the muscles from working out.

Heat+ massage should help normalize it if it's not bad.

Otherwise you may need to see a chiro or physical therapist to pop it back in place.

IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IamAnAlien is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how do i know if i have to let it pop back by an shiro?
    look at this pic:

normally i have one of those "cervical" sticking out a bit. but since yesterday its flat.
    maybe its INplace now?
    - Das Ass thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142109391&p=828290691#post828290691

derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) derstratege has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Avoid doing Shrugs at all. I found it to be a completely non-sense and non-functional isolation exercise, training a muscle that works as synergist or at least provides stabilization during almost any shoulder and many back exercises.

You can develop really great upper traps by simply having a versatile delts and back workout including a wide variaty of other exercises, without doing a single Shrug, and without compressing your vertebrea.

Take care...
    "Rest is the sweet sauce of labor." Plutarch

like i said... i gonna try it one last time with proper form (straight neck) and a little slower (even i did them slow last time). i really like shrugs and they do alot for my traps.
    its strange that the same thing happened when i did side raises a week ago.
    only different was, last friday the pain went from the spine to my right shoulder and this time to my left shoulder.
    if it happens again while i do shrugs, i gonna leave them out.

maybe it has something to do with the front barbell shrugs... they make you pull your shoulders to the front.
    i did shrugs before with dumbbels, never had problems. i even used to rotate my shoulders back then. but my dumbbels arent heavy enough anymore.

thx for the replys so far. and i'll let you know how it went next time.

so, i worked out again today. or at least i tried. pullovers where impossible, since i felt pain.
    barbell and dumbbell rows , bench and flys were all no problems. then in my second set of gorilla press it came back. not as bad as the last time, but i stopped immediately.
    i still wont go to a doc. i will start doing wrestler/neck bridges tomorrow night again, if possible. and hope the pain goes all away from alone. like it did last time.

can't see my feet (bulk) c-diddy's Avatar
    c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sean Patterson View Post
    first of all about sholder shrugs
    do not roll your shoulders
    ^^^ Rolling shoulders is bad for your rotator cuffs. Read these threads.

i know that by now... i didnt roll them since a few month.

SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SONOFABULK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bump, i might have fuked up my neck doing shrugs yesterday. If i turn my head left or right, the pain is really bad and i can hear some tiny cracks. Also, i didn't roll my shoulder, all i did was go up and down with 45 pound plates and i held them for about 10 reps. I pushed myself pretty hard and my stats are bs, i am really like 140.
    [] Misc Cologne Crew []

Smells Good Man

Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You probably used poor form. And really, shrugs are a waste of time. Most people's upper traps are overdeveloped compared to their low traps and delts. Big upper traps with small back and shoulders just looks like frog-tech. Deads, olympic lifts, rackpulls and face pulls are more than enough to hit the upper traps plenty.

If you insist on shrugging, do it with the weight over your head like you're at the top of a shoulder press. This works the lower and middle traps, as well as the upper traps. It also helps your press, because you're endurance is being trained.
    -Voted Gary Johnson in 2012 and Doing it Again 2016-

-Philadelphia Eagles fan-

-52 Books a Year Crew-

-Team Mystic-

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SONOFABULK View Post
    bump, i might have fuked up my neck doing shrugs yesterday. If i turn my head left or right, the pain is really bad and i can hear some tiny cracks. Also, i didn't roll my shoulder, all i did was go up and down with 45 pound plates and i held them for about 10 reps. I pushed myself pretty hard and my stats are bs, i am really like 140.
    If you let your neck go far forward with heavy shrugs (or heavy DB shoulder presses for that matter), you can get some wicked neck pain. Try to keep your neck back or neutral, but not far forward.