efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Posterior Deltoid Exercises?

Hey guys!

So I have been building seriously for a while now (~5mo)- starting to see some results.
    I realize that I have always neglected the rear deltoid, it feels like it's one of those muscle groups that you need to actually target in order to be able to build them instead of relying on compound movements.
    I've only realized this today when I looked at my medial deltoid in the mirror today. The anterior portion (which I train military presses) is significantly more muscular and protrudes greater than the posterior deltoid (which has no protrusion at all). I also do lateral raises for the medial portion.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem of anterior/posterior deltoid disproportionality during bodybuilding. I suppose I should start doing the reverse pec fly machine ASAP!

My question is, what other exercises are good to build the posterior deltoid?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Sho...#anchor1934542

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=802064
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2123351
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121917231
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131811963

I wish we had some kind of epic thread merge ability.

I think that machine looks great for isolating it. ExRx lists a variety but I guess discussing it is pointless without knowing what equipment is available. Dumbbell/barbell variations are pretty universal.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by efference View Post
    Hey guys!

So I have been building seriously for a while now (~5mo)- starting to see some results.
    I realize that I have always neglected the rear deltoid, it feels like it's one of those muscle groups that you need to actually target in order to be able to build them instead of relying on compound movements.
    I've only realized this today when I looked at my medial deltoid in the mirror today. The anterior portion (which I train military presses) is significantly more muscular and protrudes greater than the posterior deltoid (which has no protrusion at all). I also do lateral raises for the medial portion.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem of anterior/posterior deltoid disproportionality during bodybuilding. I suppose I should start doing the reverse pec fly machine ASAP!

THANK YOU for bringing this up. It's been itching my brain lately when I realized that most routines include 2-3 exercises for anterior delts, yet only 1, often 0 exercises for posterior delts. These two muscles ought to be the exact same size, yet most people's posteriors are half the size of their anterior. Coincidentally (not), many people develop forward-rounded shoulders and the associated shoulder injuries.

My preferred method of slamming the posterior delts is this move:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eralRaise.html

For this, you really have to swallow your pride a bit and grab some light weights (I only use 15s right now). Sure, I could grab some 25s and swing them up through 70% of the ROM and not stop at the top of the movement whatsoever, but what good would that do? To actually make this exercise work, you need to keep your spine in as good an alignment as you possibly can in that bent over position, and lift in a controlled manner starting from a dead hang. MOST important part of the movement is at the top because that last 20% of the ROM is by far the hardest. Contract until your elbows are actually slightly behind your scapulae, and HOLD that contraction before slowly lowering the weights. Do them that way and your posture will thank you. Your shoulders will live longer, and you will be capable of benching, pressing, and rowing much more weight in the long run.

P.S. when doing this exercise, don't bend over so much that your lower back rounds. I've seen people do this exercise where their entire spine is rounded and hunched. This is terrible for the lower back and neck, and it puts your scapulae in a position where they can't properly support the bio-mechanics of this move. Be willing to sacrifice dumbbell weight and depth of your bend in order to keep the spine in a healthy position.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

For now, stop worrying about such small muscles. Train to put on 30-40 pounds of mass overall, and your rear delts will take care of themselves.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10) efference is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    For now, stop worrying about such small muscles. Train to put on 30-40 pounds of mass overall, and your rear delts will take care of themselves.
    I wasn't so much as worried about them - it just seems wrong to neglect ANY part of your body for looks and for strength. Also - if a certain muscle is undertrained, it's prone to injury since the growth/strength is disproportionate.
    Just asking for anecdotal examples of what people find effet.
    I started the rear row and the reverse fly today - I have to say they are wonderful exercises..
    although the rear row was a bit awkward for me - I don't think I was doing it properly, felt almost like an upright row.

greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) greenleaf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post

My preferred method of slamming the posterior delts is this move:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eralRaise.html
    I read a book with a slight variation to this exercise. The dumbbell is vertical to the floor at the top instead of parallel. In other words, the thumb not the palm will face the floor. I can feel more of my rear delts this way.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I wasn't so much as worried about them - it just seems wrong to neglect ANY part of your body for looks and for strength. Also - if a certain muscle is undertrained, it's prone to injury since the growth/strength is disproportionate.
    Just asking for anecdotal examples of what people find effet.
    I started the rear row and the reverse fly today - I have to say they are wonderful exercises..
    although the rear row was a bit awkward for me - I don't think I was doing it properly, felt almost like an upright row.
    You don't seem to get it; is it your intention to remain at 138 pounds? Rather than waste your gym time doing "reverse flyes," put all your effort into the basics--Squats, Deadlifts, Benches, Presses, and Rows. After you've actually built some muscle, then concern yourself with trying to refine it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quit worrying about symmetry. Like Ironwill said, focus on heavy compounds. They will hit everything proportionately. You can do 3-4 sets of rear delt raises if you still feel your rear delts are lagging big time. The face pull is another good RD exercise.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    +1 for face pulls.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
    I read a book with a slight variation to this exercise. The dumbbell is vertical to the floor at the top instead of parallel. In other words, the thumb not the palm will face the floor. I can feel more of my rear delts this way.
    Good idea, I can feel that more even just sitting in my chair imagining I have dumbbells in my hands.

degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) degz32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Don't neglect the important minor muscles

I agree with the fact that you should keep it simple and bulk up. However, those minor shoulder muscles are just as important if not more important then any chest or bicept muscle ect. Make sure you work the posterior delts and serradus muscle because it could lead to serious shoulder injury. After shoulder surgery and physical therapy my back is in way better shape. Do pulls ups, serradus push ups, rows. Don't worry about how much weight, it's just a number..especially with minor muscles in your back and shoulder.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by degz32 View Post
    Don't worry about how much weight, it's just a number..especially with minor muscles in your back and shoulder.
    I don't follow here: if we want these small muscles to get stronger we should be increasing the amount of weight we can move with them, no?

Registered User JimminyJelicker's Avatar
    JimminyJelicker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by degz32 View Post
    I agree with the fact that you should keep it simple and bulk up. However, those minor shoulder muscles are just as important if not more important then any chest or bicept muscle ect. Make sure you work the posterior delts and serradus muscle because it could lead to serious shoulder injury. After shoulder surgery and physical therapy my back is in way better shape. Do pulls ups, serradus push ups, rows. Don't worry about how much weight, it's just a number..especially with minor muscles in your back and shoulder.
    *Serratus

Crazyfm25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with ironwill in looking at the compound movements to base your whole routine upon and not so much about the other things first

However i would not completely neglect them as sometimes this could cause shoulder impingement or 'roll forward' of the shoulders (dont know a proper term) not saying this just from nowhere but its what happened to me, i did too much benching and military press instead of ALSO adding in a few sets of posterior delt (basically neglecting it) that i got a shoulder injury (shoulder imbalance/impingement) which i now have to work around because my anterior was a lot stronger (disproportioned) to my posterior

3 months later and im slowly starting flat bench and anterior and medial work, so yes i would stick to compounds but i would add in a few sets of either facepulls or rear delt flyes

Get hugeeee but be clever about it, dont need 100 isolation excercises, just need a balance

Hope that helps

P.s: if i do shoulder or chest work rotator cuff excercises before are great to warm up/loosen up/build stronger rotator cuff something which people also neglect
    Its not about how much you lift, its about whether your lifting with the targeted muscle thats important

navatony29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ironwill im sorry bro but its not just about worrying about just putting weight just cant forget the other muscles that you have then when your already getting some gain and then you realize that your lacking in other parts there's really need to not just not work them out