View Poll Results: Which is harder: quitting smoking, or losing 20lbs?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smoking

35 85.37%
  • Dropping 20lbs

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Which is harder: quitting smoking or dropping 20lbs?

Since we've seen some rather, erm, interesting threads in misc lately, I started thinking about my own experiences. As a life long skinny guy who quit smoking then gained 50lbs with an over-optimistic bulk, I had to learn how to diet at the ripe old age of 35. Other than crash diets for wrestling in high school, I'd never done a serious diet. Reflecting on which was harder for me, I'd still say quitting smoking was harder. The withdrawal, personality changes, living with a smoker, smoking friends, etc. made it tough for me. Dieting, since I have to eat, and everyone eats, was kinda hard, but not really. It sucked for sure, but nothing like quitting smoking.

I realize, obesity is a self-perpetuating condition. As the stomach expands, it produces more ghrelin (the hunger hormone), more hunger, more stomach expansion. Additionally, the more body fat you carry, the more estrogen and other weight gaining hormones you produce, and slimming hormones reduce. All of this consequently makes dieting harder. And, being as I wasn't all that fat (only had to lose 30lbs to get to 10%), I'm sure I was in a far better place metabolically than many others who've had to diet.

Anyway, neither is better than the other, not judging any current or former smokers / over-weight folks, just curious what y'all found harder.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smoking, to me, is easily the hardest. Twenty pounds is nothing to lose. I have difficulty gaining weight and can pretty much eat anything I want too. Smoking though is/was a very tough addiction.
    I used to be a fat 180 years ago but now am a lean 168.5.

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    From experience quitting smoking was harder.

The first 20-30 lbs. of mine were the easiest to lose. The last 20-30, well that quite possibly rivaled quitting smoking.

On second thought they were both equally freaking difficult.

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Twenty pounds is not really comparable. For me I would say it was a good year before I was over smoking and it took me about a year to drop 65lbs so those two would be comparable to me

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by frozensparky View Post
    Twenty pounds is not really comparable. For me I would say it was a good year before I was over smoking and it took me about a year to drop 65lbs so those two would be comparable to me
    How did you quit? It's so easy to fall off the wagon.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Anyway, neither is better than the other, not judging any current or former smokers / over-weight folks, just curious what y'all found harder.
    Smoking, hmm how to make infinity sign on keyboard? I dont move away from smokers when they light up, I get close and enjoy the reminiscing of a time when my lungs could handle them. My bucket list would have a pack of no filter Camels. Would not take a drink, or pig out on a pizza, just a Camel and a cup of coffee.

Been 6 years since I quit, probably could not get a drag down without crushing it out. I like having my wind back too much.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Set a goal & achieve it! mscriven's Avatar
    mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50) mscriven will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Quitting smoking was much harder for me than losing weight. I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit over 22+ years of smoking. I quit January 2010, and haven't smoked since. I gained a lot of weight, and in 2012 dropped from 265 to 180. I wont say losing weight is "easy" but it's definitely not as rough as quitting smoking.

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    How did you quit? It's so easy to fall off the wagon.
    I quit in 98 I was at about a pack a day. Went cold turkey for about 3 months then I got loser drunk and pretty much smoked a full pack. Got so sick I never wanted to touch them again. Even at that though I think I was just finally ready to quit.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Quitting smoking was more simple, for me. Had been smoking for more than a decade, very heavily. Stopped instantly, cold turkey, and haven't looked back.

As for easier... hard to say, really. Hm. I think it might even be easier for most people to give up smoking than to lose 20lbs or however much.

Anecdotally, I've also seen and heard of a lot of folks stopping smoking, in the last decade-ish, whereas the number of people going through body recomp, or even just fat loss and sticking with it? Er... :/

Societally, too, and in particular media-wise and in "entertainment", smoking is almost universally seen as a sh!tty thing to do nowadays, whereas meanwhile, big is beautiful, etc.

Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting question- for me they're about equal, although either one can be more difficult than the other without proper planning. It took me about 3 months to quit smoking, but I developed a plan for doing so, which looking back on it wasn't dissimilar to developing a plan for eating, working out, etc. I gradually decreased my smoking from a full pack a day, all the way down to a single smoke, then to none at all. This, for me anyway, was easier than going cold turkey, because I was determined to not go through that process again.

BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suppose context is what is really important. Smoking what? I imagine if you were addicted to meth it would be easier to drop 20lbs than to quit smoking.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I never tried to lose weight but I did smoke 2 packs a day for 10 years and quitting was very difficult, haven't smoked a cigarette in 20+ years.
    On the list for Bannukah

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Quitting a tobacco habit seems as close to impossible to me as it can get. I had 2 years free from nicotine about 4 years back but could never shake the thoughts of it from my head that whole time. Not a single day ever went by not wanting to dip but somehow I made it those 2 years from shear will I guess but that one weak moment and bam, back at it full speed again.

I can drop or gain 20-30 pounds of weight with very little effort over the course of a few months.

Quitting tobacco is far harder than losing weight IMO with the main reason being I can still partake in food when losing weight. Tobacco on the other hand, you either use it or you don't.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Since my dad had no problem keeping a healthy weight, yet died from lung cancer, after trying several times to quit...I'd have to go with smoking being the harder of the two. Having said all that, I have never smoked, but the two bring unique challenges. Both require determination, and discipline ...to lose weight or give up smoking. The thing about smoking that I've heard from those trying to quit, or who have succeeded...is that there is a physical dependence almost that one develops over time. With food, it's more of a psychological thing, if you are struggling to lose weight. All things considered, not bringing genetics, etc into the mix. Just saying, just broad brushing it...that would 'seem' like the difference to me, between the two 'battles.' Losing weight, vs quitting smoking. I think there's a two part tier however, with giving up addictions or bad habits, etc. The first part, is giving it up, but I think maintaining the new lifestyle, whatever that may be, for the long haul, is what trips some people up. (see the various threads on here about 'resolutioners' as an example)
    Last edited by whatevergirl; 01-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Built2Serve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive dropped 106 lbs but when I drop the cigs I pick them back up!
    Its been one hell of a time trying to quit smoking. I am down to a pack every 2 or 3 days. But I still want one all the time but I keep them out of reach.
    When traveling I put them in the back seat or trunk so I wont be tempted to grab one. When in the hotel I get non smoking rooms so I have to go out to smoke.
    GAAAAAA I want one NOW!

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just adding to the above...I think that with anything we want to change about our lives that's been unhealthy for us...there has to be an accepting that there will be some mental and physical suffering to a degree. We really run from suffering in our society. There is this notion that in order to be happy, one must avoid suffering at all costs. We escape suffering a lot through pill popping, smoking, drinking, eating, sex, etc...thus addictions are spawned.

No one 'likes' to suffer, but when sacrificing unhealthy habits, it will bring with it some suffering. Suffering can be a good thing, if looked at with the right perspective. In order for steel to be formed, for example, it goes through a smelting process. The metal has to shed the bad to become stronger. It isn't unlike us. But, with humans, we will feel that struggle. In that suffering, is when it's the easiest to cave and go back to the very thing you need to give up. But, if you look at suffering as a means to growing stronger in the end, you will stay on course with kicking your bad habits. I speak from experience...I hate suffering! But, it's necessary at times to get you to change and grow.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can quite easily drop 20Lbs in 3-4 weeks by dropping my calories a little, I can still eat the same food I do now just in smaller quantities.

Smoking on the other hand - I have quit at least 20 times in the last 10 years. My last cigarette was a couple of years ago but like an alcoholic I still consider myself a smoker but just a smoker who has chosen to abstain.

I vote for quitting smoking being the harder of the two.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) m314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Has anyone tried switching to e cigarettes instead of smoking? My girlfriend is going to try it soon. This should be a healthier alternative, but I don't know how easy it will be to make the change.

I'm glad I never got into tobacco myself. I'm losing weight on a low calorie diet now, and it sucks. Quitting tobacco seems harder just from what I've seen my friends go through.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it depends on what your trying to do now lol

for me quitting smoking was really difficult.
    until I got serious then quitting was a breeze

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    Smoking on the other hand - I have quit at least 20 times in the last 10 years. My last cigarette was a couple of years ago but like an alcoholic I still consider myself a smoker but just a smoker who has chosen to abstain.

I vote for quitting smoking being the harder of the two.
    No, no, you failed to quit 20 times, you've only quit once.
    Anyway, I've never smoked so wouldn't know if it was hard to stop but dropping 20lb was really easy for me 2 years ago.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have never smoked and have never been fat, but as most here have already posted, I would assume confidently that quitting smoking would be way more difficult than losing 20lbs.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by m314 View Post
    Has anyone tried switching to e cigarettes instead of smoking? My girlfriend is going to try it soon. This should be a healthier alternative, but I don't know how easy it will be to make the change.

I'm glad I never got into tobacco myself. I'm losing weight on a low calorie diet now, and it sucks. Quitting tobacco seems harder just from what I've seen my friends go through.
    I have 2 friends that went ecig, one is quit now, one still puffing the vapor. They both had problems finding a smoking unit they liked. They both bought 2-3 before they found one they liked. Gotta be better than stogies IMO. They were both much happier, less odor, less social stigma.

Obv. Quitting is better. But it was a method to get there for one of them. Not advocating for it just FYI.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Quit smoking New Years day 2005. I was a "resolutioner" and literally wanted to go on a rampage the first week of quitting.

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    Losing weight. I've quit smoking before (twice, actually - first time was when I left uni and I gave up for about six years. Started smoking again when I got a job in the games industry in the 90s and everyone else seemed to smoke. Quit again just before I turned 30, this time for good). I've never managed to lose more than 20lbs in one go, although I'm currently attempting to.

Of course, if you're 250lbs then dropping 20lbs won't be as hard as if you're 150lbs. Women will also have a much harder time than men. It's just our damned hormones. It took me six months to drop 10lbs last year, whereas, when I quit smoking, I just stopped. I used patches, true, and there were plenty of times I felt I wanted to smoke, but one minute I was a smoker, the next, I was a non-smoker. Food is a constant battle. You can't just quit eating as you would any other addiction - you just have to cut out certain foods. And even if you reach your target weight, you can't just relax or it'll come back on again.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's not that hard to stop but damn hard to stay that way. After the battle is won it's not hard to forget how difficult it was to get there. I had to learn that there was no such thing as having one now and again, only when I drank, whatever.

I love to smoke. I mean, I love it. I miss it.

I never felt strongly about food one way or the other. I tend(ed) to overeat out of boredom and don't seem equipped with the normal feedback paths that tell people when they are full. But, the act of losing weight is pretty easy comparatively speaking.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I quit smoking almost 3 years ago and it was pretty hard to do from a mental aspect of it. It was also the first step I took in changing my life. I've dropped way more than 20 lbs so far (I'm down just over 90) and while it's taken longer the process from a mental aspect is definitely easier for me since I enjoy the process. Quitting smoking was not enjoyable but I find my quality of life greatly improved now because of it which lead to me being able to change the rest of my life as well.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've done both. By far quitting smoking cold turkey was more difficult. I have a lot of discipline so dieting with a decent working metabolism isn't rough for me. I've over dieted mine into a state of not working so well but I'd rather never see my abs and live than die a horrible slow death.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Forgot to mention, although I have not touched a cigarette in over 20+ years I still get the urge from time to time to smoke. It is never a strong urge but an urge nonetheless.
    On the list for Bannukah

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've done both as well. Quitting smoking was a real bitch, I've heard from some friends that it's like trying to kick a heroine habit.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by m314 View Post

They work. They're not quite the same in terms of where you feel the "hit", but they're still good. Even some of the flavors taste decent. I'm strongly considering using an e-cig in my next cut. Nicotine > ephedrine > caffeine - at least to me for suppressing appetite and ramping up metabolism. From the studies I've seen, it isn't nicotine that causes the cancers etc, it's the other crap. My only issue however, is having to quit again....
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555