Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)

Sports guide for strength, speed, and conditioning

I’m making this thread because of the high number of questions I see (and receive) regarding athletic training. Hopefully, it will answer any of the questions you may have. The primary sports covered in this thread are football and rugby, but you can use this information to train for any sport imaginable. Let’s get started.

Strength and Power
    The key to building strength is to pound the compound lifts and progress on them. I would recommend choosing a routine and following it. It is possible to design a good routine but this can be a very challenging task. Here are a couple of my favorite routines.
    Joe Defranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards part 3
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html

Bill Starr’s 5x5
    http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

You can always design your routine. Keep in mind that this can get challenging, so I recommend you follow a pre made routine. When I designed mine, I based the workouts around a lower body lift and an upper body lift, followed by the accessory work. Well placed accessory work can build muscle mass and assist your big lifts if done right. I used an A B style routine done on mon, wed, fri ABA BAB like Starting Strength.
    Workout A
    1.Box squat 3x3
    2.Bench press 3x5
    3.DB shoulder press 3x8
    4.Row 5x6-12
    5.Shrugs 3x8
    6.Posterior chain exercise 3x5-10
    7.Core work 3 sets

Workout B
    1.Deadlift 3x3
    2.Push press 4x3
    3.DB bench press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x5-12
    5.Rear delt work 3x8
    6.Unilateral leg exercise 3x5
    7.Core work 3 sets

You should perform dynamic stretching and mobility work before workouts. This is very important. You should always perform weak link exercises at the end of workouts, if necessary.

Tuesday and Thursday are reserved for plyometrics, agility work, speed, and conditioning.

When choosing exercises, there is no ultimate movement. It all depends on the athlete’s strengths and weaknesses. I use box squats because they allow me to work on exploding from a dead stop, which aids me in training for quickness off the line. I used deadlifts instead of Olympic lifts because I am doing explosive exercises on off days, and also because I enjoy deadlifts. The reason for bench press is simple. It is a horizontal lift which has a carryover to football. Push presses were used because they train overhead pressing combined with leg drive.

Now, let’s switch gears to power. Power is a product of strength and speed/acceleration. To become powerful, you need to build strength and increase your Rate of Force Development (RFD). Strength is described as being able to move a certain amount of weight. Rate of Force Development is the amount of time it takes you to do so. If someone can squat 500lbs but it takes 5sec to do so, they are obviously strong. If someone can put out 300lbs of force in 1/4sec, they have a good RFD. Any explosive exercise will increase your RFD. Plyometrics such as jumps, throws, slams, and sprinting are good choices. You can also use tire flips, Olympic lifts, dynamic effort weight lifting, band punches, clap push ups, etc. Anything that requires a rapid explosion will help you. Olympic lifts are considered the king of exercises by many. I don’t agree with this. While they are very effective, they are very technique savvy and require a lot of form work. You must use good form on these lifts, because not doing so can increase the risk of injury and decrease the effectiveness of the exercise. IMO, stick to jumps, throws, slams, and tire flips if you wish. These are all very easy to master and require very little to zero form work. Not only are they convenient, they are very effective. Power plays a huge role in combat sports, ranging from take downs, tackling, blocking, and even increasing sprint speed/acceleration.

Always perform plyometrics and other explosive exercises at the beginning of your workout, so you will be fresh. They can also be done on non lifting days.

Speed
    You will find that increasing your overall power will aid you tremendously in sprint speed/acceleration. Hip mobility and overall flexibility are very important as well. There is a difference between speed training and conditioning. Speed training requires longer rest periods to ensure you are fully recovered. To build speed and explosiveness, you need to be fresh so you can perform with maximum output.

When training for acceleration, you need to work with short distance sprints. I would go no higher than 20yds. Resisted sprints such as hills, prowlers, and sleds will aid you as well. Do not use these too often because they can mess up your form which will carry over to your normal unresisted sprinting. I would use them no more than 1x a week.

For top speed, you should work with longer distances such as 40yd and 80yd sprints. Focus on the top speed during this style of training. Long rest periods as well. Resistance bands are proven to help increase top speed, so you might want to check them out.

Throughout my training, I have used ball drops as a staple in my training. They are very effective at increasing quickness off the line. I highly recommend them.

Agility is described as being quick on your feet. Think of a cat… It can change direction very quickly, it has good balance when doing so, it can stop abruptly, and it can get back up to speed effortlessly. This means the cat is agile. My favorite agility drills include cone work (L’s and triangles) and ladders. You can search around youtube and find different drills to perform on a ladder.

The best time for speed training is on days that you don't lift weights. Doing them after workouts is bad because you will be pre-drained which keeps you from using full intensity. It can be done before workouts as long as it won't take away from your lifting.

Conditioning
    This is described as preparing yourself for a specific task. You need to be training the proper energy system to get the most out of your conditioning.

Football is an alactic sport which requires repeated bouts of short, intense activity. To condition for football, you need to do alactic work with short rest periods. Alactic means that you are performing at very high intensity for less than 10sec. Lactic acid is not produced and it does not require oxygen. A sample workout would be performing a tire flip followed by a 15yd sprint, with 30sec rest in between sets. Gassers, 300yd shuttles, and most of the usual football conditioning drills have no carryover to real games. That is because these usual drills are training a different energy system.

Rugby is heavily lactic, which means you are performing activity for 10sec-1min. This is still anaerobic and does not require oxygen. Lactic acid is produced. Sample lactic work includes gassers, 300yd shuttles, suicides, running snakes on bleachers, etc.

Basketball can vary depending on the intensity of the game and the level of skill. It can go from alactic, to lactic, to even aerobic, which is the oxygen system. Aerobic exercise requires a steady supply of oxygen, and is performed for an extended period of time. Sample work includes jogging, jump rope, biking, swimming, HIIT, Indian runs, etc.

My best advice is to do some research and determine the primary energy system used in your sport, and go from there.

Conditioning should be done on non lifting days or post workout.

Diet
    To determine the proper diet plan, you need to sort out your goals. Do you want to maintain, gain, or lose weight?

To gain weight, you need to be eating a caloric surplus, around 250-500cals over your maintenance level. This translates to a gain of 0.5-1lb per week. The weight gain phase is called bulking. I don’t usually recommend bulking and cutting stages to athletes, but this is the easiest way to explain.

To lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit, around 500cals under your maintenance level. That will give you a loss of around 1lb per week. Trainees at higher bodyfat percentages can lose weight at a faster rate without having to worry about losing muscle mass. Keep in mind that you have a greater chance of losing strength during a cut, so you need to watch out for that. Try to consume as much protein as possible during a cut to maintain muscle mass.

To maintain weight, you need to be eating around your maintenance level.

The best way to find your maintenance level is to monitor the scale and bodyfat percentage. You can also use these links for diet help:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1703981&page=1
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821

So there you have it.
    Last edited by RollTideNation; 12-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) daxpwn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome article thanks!
    any other specific drills/ examples that would be good for rugby conditioning?

KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KDwyer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome guide man, i play AFL (Australian football)

im just curious does jogging for miles help build stamina or will short sprints still build good stamina
    zyzz status by 2014

heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heykevin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for your information really

jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rugby is primarily alactic-aerobic, like most team sports...short high intensity bursts (short accelerations/decelerations, tackling, jumping etc.) with low intensity recovery periods (jogging, walking etc.)...lactic dominant (sustained moderate intensity) sports are short-mid distance swimming, 200-800m running, rowing etc.

Originally Posted by KDwyer View Post

im just curious does jogging for miles help build stamina or will short sprints still build good stamina
    Avoid jogging for building endurance, it won't have much transfer.

Short sprints are good for speed and will help build speed reserve, which boosts endurance.

Look up extensive tempo runs...

http://fitfooty.com has some good information for australian rules football.
    Lift.LOL.Learn

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fantastic and well written thread/article. Even if I already know this stuff, it's great to read it put out in plain text all one thread.

I only disagree with you on one thing, and that's the Olympic Lifts. Yes, they are hard to do, but I see it as a risk =/= reward type of thing. You can just as easily injure yourself with any exercise other than Oly lifts as you can with Olympic lifts. Heck, doing tire flips wrong could be terrible on your entire body. However, I do see your point. One needs to make sure they study the form meticulously before actually doing the exercise. That in and of itself would prevent 99% of injuries. Glad to see you put dynamic stretching and warmup in there as well!
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KDwyer View Post

Thanks for the kind words, man!f I appreciate it.

Jogging will increase your stamina but it's important to consider the energy system used during your sport. Distance jogging is pure aerobic which requires a steady stream of oxygen. Short sprints are alactic. They are in a completely different ballpark.

Originally Posted by heykevin View Post
    thanks for your information really
    No problem. Happy to help!

Originally Posted by jgb99 View Post
    Rugby is primarily alactic-aerobic, like most team sports...short high intensity bursts (short accelerations/decelerations, tackling, jumping etc.) with low intensity recovery periods (jogging, walking etc.)...lactic dominant (sustained moderate intensity) sports are short-mid distance swimming, 200-800m running, rowing etc.

Avoid jogging for building endurance, it won't have much transfer.

Short sprints are good for speed and will help build speed reserve, which boosts endurance.

Look up extensive tempo runs...

http://fitfooty.com has some good information for australian rules football.
    Refer to this. Good post!

Originally Posted by OneLastChance View Post
    Fantastic and well written thread/article. Even if I already know this stuff, it's great to read it put out in plain text all one thread.

I only disagree with you on one thing, and that's the Olympic Lifts. Yes, they are hard to do, but I see it as a risk =/= reward type of thing. You can just as easily injure yourself with any exercise other than Oly lifts as you can with Olympic lifts. Heck, doing tire flips wrong could be terrible on your entire body. However, I do see your point. One needs to make sure they study the form meticulously before actually doing the exercise. That in and of itself would prevent 99% of injuries. Glad to see you put dynamic stretching and warmup in there as well!
    Thanks for the kind words! I see what you're saying. I've never had the time to properly learn the form so I've found other ways to work on explosiveness. Oly lifts are great if you can get the form down, but I just see a big risk to reward ratio and it's not very good IMO. The reward is much greater and the risk is much lower when you practice proper from though.

Originally Posted by daxpwn View Post
    awesome article thanks!
    any other specific drills/ examples that would be good for rugby conditioning?
    Thanks for the kind words! I only know of one rugby player and he was a total beast. His conditioning consisted of circuits (tire flip into KB swing into farmers carry), high rep tire flips into sprints, gassers (sometimes while pulling a sled), and HIIT. I recommend that!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Another koala thread by RBN!
    Can cleans be added to it?
    SOHP : 265

Originally Posted by bogui94 View Post
    Another koala thread by RBN!
    Can cleans be added to it?
    Lol thanks. RollBreadNation delivers! Maybe our bigger friends will approve nomsayin

Yup. I have to get off right now. I'll be back later and work power cleans in there.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Ok, so you want to include squats, deads, and cleans right?

I think the best way to go about that is to do 3x3 or 5x3 ramped cleans before squats on workout A, and take out the core work and posterior chain. Instead, do back extensions, RDLs, or a full core exercise like roll outs, planks, or twists. Keep the B workout the same.

Workout A
    1. cleans 3x3 or 5x3 ramped
    2. squats
    3. bench
    4. DB shoulder
    5. row
    6. shrugs
    7. back ext or core (planks or roll outs, twists are acceptable)
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbus43 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the articles OP!
    bigbus43

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Damn! Good work!

I know plenty of exercise science students who can not even produce something like that!

Keep at it man
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    Damn! Good work!

I know plenty of exercise science students who can not even produce something like that!

Keep at it man
    Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words.

@bigbus, no problem. Happy to help guys out!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Big thanks to whoever stickied this!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    All you need to do for a sticky is:
    Post long ass paragrahs with a bunch of links..

bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bogui94 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 1ntensityrules View Post

Grats for the sticky, RBN!
    SOHP : 265

Not sure if srs

Thanks brogui!
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 1ntensityrules is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    Not sure if srs

Thanks brogui!
    Not srs, i was joking

Not srs, i was joking
    My jimmies would've been severely rustled if you were srs
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

My jimmies would've been severely rustled if you were srs
    But sometimes it is true lol

But sometimes it is true lol
    True...

My weight gain sticky has a lot of links lol
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bmdc88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Roll tide roll, good work man I've been doing westside for about a year now. It's working great. I add cleans to that on the DE lower day.

speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10) speedyscotty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Power clean is the best lift for over all strength and explosiveness

Originally Posted by Bmdc88 View Post
    Roll tide roll, good work man I've been doing westside for about a year now. It's working great. I add cleans to that on the DE lower day.
    Thanks for the kind words man. I appreciate it

Originally Posted by speedyscotty View Post
    Power clean is the best lift for over all strength and explosiveness
    They can be very effective but I feel the risk-reward ratio is unbalanced. Cleans are very technique savvy and require a hefty amount of form work which I don't have time for. I stick to jumps and med ball throws/slams for the bulk of my explosive work. I respect your views though.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    They can be very effective but I feel the risk-reward ratio is unbalanced. Cleans are very technique savvy and require a hefty amount of form work which I don't have time for. I stick to jumps and med ball throws/slams for the bulk of my explosive work. I respect your views though.
    While this is certainly true for the "full" lifts (the clean&jerk or the snatch) and also somewhat true for the power snatch and muscle snatch, it's simply not the case for the power clean or the hang clean. Neither of those lifts are any more difficult to teach or to learn than the squat, deadlift, bench or press and they have a trememndous application beyond that of "jumps and slams" because of their loading potential. Once an athlete reaches a certain level of strength, it is not going to matter how many 20 pounds ball slams you have him do - he is going to need more weight to continue to develop explosiveness. The tire flip is a great exercise to do this as well, IF you have heavy enough tires... but any gym better than planet fitness has the equipment to load a 140kg power clean.

Strength Over Physique natedabomb09's Avatar
    natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10) natedabomb09 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is there an ideal rep range to hit on exercises to gain strength and build mass? I've been told 8-12, but just doublechecking my info. Thanks in advance
    Where were you at 6AM?

Current/Goal for August 2013

Bench: 205/245 (Dec 2012)

Squat: 400/450 (Dec 2012)

DL: 405/435 (Jan 2013)

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by natedabomb09 View Post
    Is there an ideal rep range to hit on exercises to gain strength and build mass? I've been told 8-12, but just doublechecking my info. Thanks in advance
    Don't worry about that, as long as the muscle is stressed it will grow. If you are using heavy weight it just stands to reason that the amount of reps you will probably be able to do will fall between 4-12 just by using common sense. If it falls outside of this rep range the weight is either to heavy or to light. Don't limit yourself to numbers though, if you feel like you can do more then do it. It's how you get mentally stronger.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

Originally Posted by jmmainvi View Post
    While this is certainly true for the "full" lifts (the clean&jerk or the snatch) and also somewhat true for the power snatch and muscle snatch, it's simply not the case for the power clean or the hang clean. Neither of those lifts are any more difficult to teach or to learn than the squat, deadlift, bench or press and they have a trememndous application beyond that of "jumps and slams" because of their loading potential. Once an athlete reaches a certain level of strength, it is not going to matter how many 20 pounds ball slams you have him do - he is going to need more weight to continue to develop explosiveness. The tire flip is a great exercise to do this as well, IF you have heavy enough tires... but any gym better than planet fitness has the equipment to load a 140kg power clean.
    I apologize for my late response. I just saw this...

You present a good point about progression. Plyometrics are not like weight lifting where you need progression on a consistent basis, but it is very important to progress in some way. You focus more on reaching maximum output/speed instead of the weight being used. Box jumps, you go higher or add weight, etc. You can get a heavier med ball, do more reps, or do different types of throws. Med ball slams and jumps are only two examples. There are many other exercises. I am a big believer in DE weight lifting and sandbags. If someone can grasp the form of oly lifts, they will work wonders. Power/hang cleans are still dangerous, primarily in the catch phase. There have been many athletes who received injuries from doing them, but this is where high pulls start to shine.

Originally Posted by natedabomb09 View Post
    See below.

Originally Posted by OneLastChance View Post
    Don't worry about that, as long as the muscle is stressed it will grow. If you are using heavy weight it just stands to reason that the amount of reps you will probably be able to do will fall between 4-12 just by using common sense. If it falls outside of this rep range the weight is either to heavy or to light. Don't limit yourself to numbers though, if you feel like you can do more then do it. It's how you get mentally stronger.
    This. I usually recommend 3x5 or 5x5 for the main compounds and 3x8-12 for assistance work.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Bricks219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a wrestrler; I want an opinion on my diet
    1750 cal
    High in EFA's
    Main staple is fish(salmon,tuna, on occasion white fish i.e. bass, catfish, etc...)
    100g protein a day
    low in carbs
    this is a bit vague but i hope still reveiwable
    Thank you for your time.

loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loveabc90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thinks it roll tide roll, good work man I've been doing westside for about a year now.