Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500)

Anyone do Pullups/Dips everyday?

Before the workout police get in here, let me say that my father was poor and only had access to a playground (during his late teens) with monkey bars. He never weight lifted, only did pullups and dips and obtained a very impressive upperbody within a short period of time. He did them everyday. Within 2 years, he went from 125lbs to around 175lbs.. very impressive considering he has never worked out legs.

Only pushups, pullups, and dips. Obviously, his progress shows that you don't necessarily need a day of rest in between and that you can workout the same bodyparts multiple times a week. Atleast 50 pullups, 50 dips, and 50 pushups every single day. Maybe this is because these exercises aren't as "high-intensity" as weight-lifting. Gymnasts do them everyday as well 40 hours a week.

Anyone here perform pullups/dips/pushups everyday?

Ofcourse, I won't go crazy like him since I plan to be in the gym 3 times a week. I am doing maybe 2 sets of 10 pullups and dips everyday since I just got one of those 2 in 1 pullup/dip bars. It really doesn't seem harmful and doesn't affect my strength in the gym.
    Last edited by miscman; 06-23-2008 at 08:55 PM.

miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500) miscman is not very helpful. (-500)
    oh snap, I just found this wonderful article

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/220/

what do my abs look like? ny_chow's Avatar
    ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ny_chow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice article repped
    I rep back (2k+, put in comment)

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't, but some people do and make gains. Its not "physiologically correct" (the bodybuilding.com equivalent of "politically correct", a term I haver hereby coined), but it works. Cats in the armed forces to repetitive calinstetics on a daily basis and some of those guys do get a lot bigger from them. The pc part of it is that it's a limited style of training. Beyond a point, you won't make a lot of size gains. With weights on a decent split, you will have proven continued progress that can be sustained.

anyone else do em?

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would treat it as doing squats/deadlifts/bench press every day.

Probably best to allow your body to rest however it comes down to volume and intensity.

I reckon a 3 day week with one day between 2 at the end would be best for most people.

Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do chins nearly every day, Dips prolly 3 or 4 times a week and pushups about the same. Olympic lifters work the same muscles 5-6 days a week sometimes multiple times a day and a lot of them are very well built especially in the legs, traps, erectors and shoulders. Just depends on your loading you don't wanna constantly be going to failure every day on these exercises as that can burn you out fast. Thing is though if you wanna continually make size and strength gains you need to find a way to add external load to keep making it harder. Overtraining is thrown around too much i believe too many factors to consider with it. A well rounded program i think though will include weights, body weight exercises, and general conditioning work all together.

Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Trapstar4.4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    well you know if you are going to go that route, you can always find ways to add weight for increased resistance. I love weighted doing weighted dips! strap on a 45 pound plate and its on! but yea, for pushups just put books on your back. dont have weights? recruit the little jackass kid around the corner to hold on to your legs while you do chinups. that would make for a sick pic.... I dont know about the rest a yous, but i can see the possibilities... ha
    ***Gender Non-Committed***
    (She/Him/They/His/Theirs/Her/Them)

Falcons - Hawks - Braves
    I make typos.

My max used to be around 15. It's dropped to 10 lately. So throughout the day, I do 5-6 reps and avoid going to failure. Let this be a test, and we'll see what happens. Decided not to do dips everyday... just pullups.

I'm still continuing with my regular split:

1) Legs/Shoulders

2) Chest/Tri

3) Back/Bi

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to do pullups everyday, before I started doing them weighted. It certainly helped building up on the movement. The GtG system is based on this.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    I used to do pullups everyday, before I started doing them weighted. It certainly helped building up on the movement. The GtG system is based on this.
    how many do you do per set and how many sets per day
    are you seeing muscle gains as well?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by miscman View Post
    how many do you do per set and how many sets per day
    are you seeing muscle gains as well?
    I used to do them everyday. 1-2 sets before working out (8-20 repetitions), and weighted sets on back day.

Now, it's just weighted sets on back day of 6+ repetitions.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cakes45cal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im a female I couldnt do 1 pullup a month ago, I took the advice I was given on here with negatives and installed a pullup bar in my house.

I do Pullups and Dips every day at the Gym, I do many sets rather than as many as I can all at once, I can definately tell I am getting better at them and I do not struggle when I began.

Sometimes I will skip them if I am at all sore in those muscles.

I can only do a max of 4 Pullups Correct .......5 if I kick my feet.

(Keep in mind I could only do 1 proper one 2 weeks ago)

I do 2 or 3 alternating between pullups and chinups. All day long.

I Truly believe that is the best way, not reaching muscle failure so you can keep on going.

EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EbonX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Being in the Army I try and make my soldiers do them every day, I used to do them non stop but now that I've put on an extra 20lbs of weight for my weight class I can only do 20.

I'm tring to get back into doing them all the time.

Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pssst has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great article man.

I'm gonna try doing that and hope my pullups get to 3 sets of 12, haha.

rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Overtraining would be your biggest concern. Make sure your body is getting proper recovery time.

BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10) BloodFart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At boot camp I was on my face daily, on average we did at least 200 pushups a day. This never caused overtraining. Body weight exercises like that can be done daily with a regular diet.

misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50) misha2dope will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol i do them everyday as my warmup

italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50) italianbull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if your doing them everyday then your probably not working them hard enough when you do them
    What man fears
    Man destroys,
    Therefore man who fears fear,
    Destroys fear

Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trabes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do pushups, pull ups and dips everyday. but only about 5 sets at 50% of my max set unweighted. and once aweek ill do pull ups and dips with weights and go all out. helps me maintain my 20+pullups for pft's without leaving me physically drained.
    trabes; the pet alligator god flushed down the toilet.
    USMCR

vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vibhash_iit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do 100 pushups and 40 (pullups+chinups+hammer) everyday before starting any muscle group. i don't do dips as my gym doesn't have // bar but i would love to do that.
    I would not say it has given me any mass gain as such but it has definitely improved my grip, forearm strength and lats shape.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

I do pullups & pushups almost every day - but the goal is endurance and increasing reps, not "getting big".

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Used to, worked very well. Never went above 5 reps, started going weighted but not to failure.

Both strength and endurance went up a lot.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like pullups everyday, I don't know why but for some reason I would prefer to do dips less often than pullups but maybe I'm weird like that, doing them more often definetly gets you better at them, pavel tsatsouline of dragondoor knows his stuff.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Nothing productive to say FitzChivalry's Avatar
    FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FitzChivalry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Heavy_Beats View Post
    I would treat it as doing squats/deadlifts/bench press every day.

Probably best to allow your body to rest however it comes down to volume and intensity.

I reckon a 3 day week with one day between 2 at the end would be best for most people.
    Originally Posted by rockchalk420 View Post
    Overtraining would be your biggest concern. Make sure your body is getting proper recovery time.
    Originally Posted by italianbull View Post
    if your doing them everyday then your probably not working them hard enough when you do them
    I take it you guys aren't impressed by gymnasts and their severe overtraining.

Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gymnasts aren't doing weighted pullups everyday, and working to increase the amount weighted. Bodyweight exercises are easily one of the worst myths propagated in conventional fitness. Bodyweight is just a number - it says nothing about how challenging or easy the exercise is going to be for any given individual. Would you tell the guy who can't pull his own BW to just keep doing whatever his max is on the assisted machine? No, for the same reason you wouldn't tell the guy who can't bench two plates to keep benching his max every day and expect results.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Nasbin View Post
    Gymnasts aren't doing weighted pullups everyday, and working to increase the amount weighted. Bodyweight exercises are easily one of the worst myths propagated in conventional fitness. Bodyweight is just a number - it says nothing about how challenging or easy the exercise is going to be for any given individual. Would you tell the guy who can't pull his own BW to just keep doing whatever his max is on the assisted machine? No, for the same reason you wouldn't tell the guy who can't bench two plates to keep benching his max every day and expect results.
    no but that guy with a 225 1RM could bench 175 for 2-3 sets 4-5x a week and expect results, frequent exericse should not be done all out or it will fail; people don't really know what overtraining is and it surely IS NOT doing the same lift/bodypart multiple times a week medium-heavy.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nasbin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, but we have no idea what percentage of whatever person's 1RM bodyweight X is going to be. This is why bodyweight is a stupid, stupid term. Prescribing 50 BW pull-ups a day could be all too challenging for some or all too easy for others.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rockchalk420 View Post
    Originally Posted by italianbull View Post
    If you're doing them (correctly) every day, your goal is endurance - not mass and strength. When working endurance, "overtraining" is a minimal concern.

statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) statisticool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by miscman View Post
    Before the workout police get in here, let me say that my father was poor and only had access to a playground (during his late teens) with monkey bars. He never weight lifted, only did pullups and dips and obtained a very impressive upperbody within a short period of time. He did them everyday. Within 2 years, he went from 125lbs to around 175lbs.. very impressive considering he has never worked out legs.
    Very intersting

Out of 87 workouts, I have done

chinups: in 34 workouts, for 329 reps total.
    dips: in 26 workouts, for 337 reps total.

Obviously, his progress shows that you don't necessarily need a day of rest in between and that you can workout the same bodyparts multiple times a week.
    I think that is reasonable, especially if the workout order is changed such that the body part isn't getting exercised in the same way each workout, that will minimize repeated use injury.
    http://www.statisticool.com/weightedexercise.htm