Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sprints and getting in shape for football

I started running like sprints to get ahead of the game for football, but I was tired as hell after only a couple times. I was hella read too and couldn't breathe that well, I guess I'm really really out of shape. I've been working out for a while, but I didn't expect myself to be this out of shape. Is there anything that might really be the problem?
    1 Corinthians 6:19-20

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    did you put on alot of weight and not run for awhile? Thats what happened to me, I stopped running and started lifting and put on about 20 pounds and started running again, it was alot harder for me

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    youre fat and out of shape basically. your body isnt used to having as much weight to tow around, nor is it used to being under exertion. you just have to stick with it and get back in shape. the first couple weeks will be the hardest, but then after that itll be a breeze.

thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thechadperson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by teriyakisaki View Post
    youre fat and out of shape basically. your body isnt used to having as much weight to tow around, nor is it used to being under exertion. you just have to stick with it and get back in shape. the first couple weeks will be the hardest, but then after that itll be a breeze.
    who you calling fat?

teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thechadperson View Post
    who you calling fat?
    i was using it as a general term, but if you want i can aim it at you fatbody.

rushbuster70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea man it definitely takes some time to get going again...If you haven't been running then your not going to be in shape.Thats simple.But you may also want to run more than sprints also to try and get your stamina up also...Good luck though

908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sounds like you haven't done too much running since the last season ended. As mentioned above, you may wanna do distance for two weeks to get your wind up a little and then mix in a combination of sprints and a day or two of distance to make sure you're ahead of the comp. as far as shape but also improving your speed as a result of the sprints.

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    i'd say start with cardio
    just jog or run some good distances to build up cardio and get you back into shape
    once that happens it'll be easier to do speed training because your body has more stamina, then sprinting will be easier the first few times around, then it'll get better if you continue to do both cardio and sprints
    **Canadian Crew**

earlyriser73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earlyriser73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heres an example of something you can do to get back in shape if you are dedicated enough:

Monday: Speed Training/Total Body Lift
    Tuesday: Tempo Runs/Core
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Speed Training/Total Body Lift
    Friday: Tempo/Runs/Core
    Saturday: GPP Work
    Sunday: Off

For speed training, keep the volume low (Under 250 yards), not including a full dynamic warm up.

So for example:
    Dynamic Warm Up
    6x25yard sprints from Mountain Climber start or push up position or falling start
    2-4 Pro Agility Drills
    Cool down
    - Use full recovery for everything. For speed you can only get faster by running faster, so thats why you use full recoveries and keep the volume low to manage CNS stress.

You can then go do a full body lift. Do something explosive, squat, something for the posterior chain aswell as a upper push and pull movement. Again keep volume low and increase the weights each week before having a deload week when you feel like you need it (maybe every 4 weeks).

For the tempo/core workouts. Depending on your position, big (lineman, linebackers) run 80-100 yards each rep, and small (skill guys etc) run 160-200yards. This is a good way to do it, and remember never run above 75% intensity, focus on your form.
    For example for a lineman:
    80yards - 25 crunches
    80yards - 26 alternating crunches
    80yards - 15 pushups
    80yards - 15 laying leg raises
    (Repeat)
    Take a quick breather when needed. Work your way up to needing very little rest in between.

For the Saturday GPP you can do a bunch of different stuff. Good examples are hill running, car pushing, sled dragging, sled pushing, farmers walk, sledgehammer work etc. One that I like is doing high knees up and down the field. Do high knees for 90 seconds and see if you can work your way up in time.

Good Luck and I hope ive helped show you some ways to get "ahead of the game" this offseason.

Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 908 View Post
    Sounds like you haven't done too much running since the last season ended. As mentioned above, you may wanna do distance for two weeks to get your wind up a little and then mix in a combination of sprints and a day or two of distance to make sure you're ahead of the comp. as far as shape but also improving your speed as a result of the sprints.

This is some good advice.

My 15 year old hasn't been doing sprints because he has been waiting out knee injury problem....just lifting and playing volleyball for his high school.....but over the past week he has been running. He hates to run on a treadmill so he has been running from our house to the high school and back....which a little over a mile I think.

This wont help his sprinting speed....but he has to get up his wind before he can start that.

xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by earlyriser73 View Post
    Heres an example of something you can do to get back in shape if you are dedicated enough:

Monday: Speed Training/Total Body Lift
    Tuesday: Tempo Runs/Core
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: Speed Training/Total Body Lift
    Friday: Tempo/Runs/Core
    Saturday: GPP Work
    Sunday: Off

For speed training, keep the volume low (Under 250 yards), not including a full dynamic warm up.

So for example:
    Dynamic Warm Up
    6x25yard sprints from Mountain Climber start or push up position or falling start
    2-4 Pro Agility Drills
    Cool down
    - Use full recovery for everything. For speed you can only get faster by running faster, so thats why you use full recoveries and keep the volume low to manage CNS stress.

You can then go do a full body lift. Do something explosive, squat, something for the posterior chain aswell as a upper push and pull movement. Again keep volume low and increase the weights each week before having a deload week when you feel like you need it (maybe every 4 weeks).

For the tempo/core workouts. Depending on your position, big (lineman, linebackers) run 80-100 yards each rep, and small (skill guys etc) run 160-200yards. This is a good way to do it, and remember never run above 75% intensity, focus on your form.
    For example for a lineman:
    80yards - 25 crunches
    80yards - 26 alternating crunches
    80yards - 15 pushups
    80yards - 15 laying leg raises
    (Repeat)
    Take a quick breather when needed. Work your way up to needing very little rest in between.

For the Saturday GPP you can do a bunch of different stuff. Good examples are hill running, car pushing, sled dragging, sled pushing, farmers walk, sledgehammer work etc. One that I like is doing high knees up and down the field. Do high knees for 90 seconds and see if you can work your way up in time.

Good Luck and I hope ive helped show you some ways to get "ahead of the game" this offseason.
    Thanks man, thats good stuff. I also appreciate all the feedback, it does make sense that I need to get some wind back in. Hey do supplements like creatine help with cardio and stuff at all? I've never took creatine and done only cardio or something.

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xKKx7 View Post
    I started running like sprints to get ahead of the game for football, but I was tired as hell after only a couple times. I was hella read too and couldn't breathe that well, I guess I'm really really out of shape. I've been working out for a while, but I didn't expect myself to be this out of shape. Is there anything that might really be the problem?
    try to add some sort of cardio or plyos, play some basketball, race your freinds, time yourself in a mile, box jumps, etc. Try to do some sort of exercise like this atleast 3 times a week, more maybe you can do this everyday. Condition yourself

Im pretty out of shape myself, but i usually get in tip top shape from playin basketball alot during the summer, and running alot.
    .:Ace50 Crew:.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

I know how like squats are supposed to help you and stuff, and I've been lifting for a while. Yet, I don't think I'm really sprinting any faster than before, I just want to sprint FASTER and I'm doing plyos and stuff, but I don't know.

one program i'd reccommend is pretty simple, and very easy to do. its geared towards building up stamina/endurance, aswell as building some speed aswell. i would use this in the beginning of your off season training, and before season started up.

basically what you do is simply run a route in your neighborhood. the catch is you start out at a dead sprint. once you reach a light/telephone pole thats about 50 yards or so away, cut it down to a nice gentle jog. once you reach the next pole (they are usually spaced pretty evenly apart, if not, im sure you can find some other sort of marker) bring it back up to a full sprint. next pole, jog. and just continue that. it takes some discipline to keep it at the right intervals, and not jog for 2 poles instead of one, but it will help you build both endurance and speed, and get you into great football shape.

Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That is the workout my kid is doing Teri. To his his school and back

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    one program i'd reccommend is pretty simple, and very easy to do. its geared towards building up stamina/endurance, aswell as building some speed aswell. i would use this in the beginning of your off season training, and before season started up.

basically what you do is simply run a route in your neighborhood. the catch is you start out at a dead sprint. once you reach a light/telephone pole thats about 50 yards or so away, cut it down to a nice gentle jog. once you reach the next pole (they are usually spaced pretty evenly apart, if not, im sure you can find some other sort of marker) bring it back up to a full sprint. next pole, jog. and just continue that. it takes some discipline to keep it at the right intervals, and not jog for 2 poles instead of one, but it will help you build both endurance and speed, and get you into great football shape.
    so pretty much a stop-n-start sprint, they work wonders
    we did that for rugby at my old school, while running laps, there were 4 hallways, 1st was sprint, 2nd jog, 3rd sprint, 4th job
    it will make you into a machine
    **Canadian Crew**

G-Skittles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Read about that doing 20 sec. sprint 20 sec. rest 15-20 minutes and honestly this is the hardest routine of sprinting ive ever done...or it may be because im the most out of shape kid for 200 miles.

Haha I remember those in middle school for flag football.

I know how like squats are supposed to help you and stuff, and I've been lifting for a while. Yet, I don't think I'm really sprinting any faster than before, I just want to sprint FASTER and I'm doing plyos and stuff, but I don't know.
    keep in mind that your body does have a certain threshold determined by simple genetics. yes, form, plyos, and lifting can really help improve, but some people just don't have the genetics to allow them to run a 4.4.

Does that mean I'm hopeless

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    keep running...you'll get there
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.

desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    run a mile every other night for two weeks. Then keep cutting down the distance and do more reps of it. Eventually start sprints with a good amount of rests and 10-20 seconds rest.

Alrite, but about sprints. If you do more sprints over like long distance running, doesn't that mean you have lower endurance?

Registered User bernbabybern820's Avatar
    bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Alrite, but about sprints. If you do more sprints over like long distance running, doesn't that mean you have lower endurance?
    what is your squat max?

Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bearsfb73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stairs stairs stairs and more stairs lol. every year the summer before the season starts i run stairs like crazy and i am always fine with doing and sprinting we do in practice and have atleast have 1/2 a tank left for the 4th quarter and not running on fumes.

never really maxed... I'm currently repping 210

Originally Posted by Bearsfb73 View Post
    stairs stairs stairs and more stairs lol. every year the summer before the season starts i run stairs like crazy and i am always fine with doing and sprinting we do in practice and have atleast have 1/2 a tank left for the 4th quarter and not running on fumes.
    how long do you do stairs for. like 30 min each day?

not necessarily. endurance simply comes from your body working through fatigue. to get into football shape, you dont' want to be running miles and miles, because thats not realistic to game situation. to get in football shape, you run sprints. the more you run, and the closer you run them together, the more endurance you will have. in all reality, you shouldn't even be thinking about loads of endurance right now. youre still a few months away from spring training, let alone actual season. build speed, endurance will come with that, in addition to the fact that its better to really focus your conditioning closer to the season.

that being said, if you have the choice, condition before practice. it'll make practice harder, but it will prepare you to play better in the fourth quarter. anybody can make good reads and keys when they are fresh, if you practice like you play, and are dead tired during practice, it'll improve your second half play dramatically.

Registered User bernbabybern820's Avatar
    bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    never really maxed... I'm currently repping 210
    Basically you need to get stronger. It increases your stride length.

Its about relative body strength(Strength for your size). Thats why you dont see world class sprinters that are weak.

BUt like guys who at my school who don't even squat as much as me run faster.