Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CorytheKiD is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

More Reps, Less Weight= Bigger Muscles?

So, I've been researching this all over the internet, and I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. Some people say that heavier lifting gives you bigger muscles and some say less weight, and more reps will give you more mass. Does this all come down to your genetic makeup (and diet)?

maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Progressively heavier weight with the rep range and intensity of your choosing gives you muscle.

CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CDeniz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First get strong then you can worry about all the other ****. About 5 reps with heavy weights.
    -Without the sour you wouldn't appreciate the sweet
    -When you are going through hell, keep going
    -Chan Family Crew

SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000) SWAGNEBULA is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by CorytheKiD View Post
    So, I've been researching this all over the internet, and I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. Some people say that heavier lifting gives you bigger muscles and some say less weight, and more reps will give you more mass. Does this all come down to your genetic makeup (and diet)?
    depends on how less and how heavy youre talking about

you doing 100 reps on a 5lb dumbell curl is different from doing 14 reps of like a 30 lb curl

and 5 rep of a 230 bench vs a 12 reps of a 200 bench

it just varies man

thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, that is the worst way to put on mass. Heavy weight with low reps is what most people bulk on. Doing low weight with high reps will only build muscle endurance, not muscle mass. Eat big, lift big, get big.

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thealechefley View Post
    No, that is the worst way to put on mass. Heavy weight with low reps is what most people bulk on. Doing low weight with high reps will only build muscle endurance, not muscle mass. Eat big, lift big, get big.
    Lol... No.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

xeddie249 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xeddie249 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xeddie249 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xeddie249 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The commonly accepted weight ranges are:
    2-6 - Movements should be explosive, good for developing strength
    8-12 - Slow and controlled with a focus on the negative, good for muscular hypertrophy
    12+ - steady tempo, good for developing endurance

Now just because this is what results general come in a range doesn't mean that incorporating and manipulating different rep ranges with different speeds of movement wont yield different results. Genetics play a factor in everything to, as you train over the years you'll find out what works and what doesn't work for you.

In terms of adding mass and getting big, It all comes down to the time under tension your muscles endure during your working sets, How you eat, and how you sleep. No other ways around it

thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thealechefley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WannaBeATank View Post
    Lol... No.
    Please aware me where I am wrong.

hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Go low reps high weight at first to build a strenght base, then progresively train sets with different rep ranges, 6-8-10 etc etc.
    word.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but i do"

maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) maryjane997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Please aware me where I am wrong.
    Mass = diet and overload. You can do that with any rep range.

hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hugohdz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wtf? strong broscience in this thread..
    word.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight, but i do"

Originally Posted by hugohdz88 View Post
    You are broscience.

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by maryjane997 View Post
    Progressively heavier weight with the rep range and intensity of your choosing gives you muscle.
    This man is correct.

WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...ionalmyth.html

Yeah, you are wrong. Thanks for the broscience.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

You are broscience.

o rly?
    word.

So you're telling me that if you eat 4000 calories a day, then go to the gym and do 20 reps of low weight, you will gain good muscle mass? No. You would gain nothing but fat from you're diet.

o rly?
    So you're telling me that if you eat 4000 calories a day, then go to the gym and do 20 reps of low weight, you will gain good muscle mass? No. You would gain nothing but fat from you're diet.
    How about you two read my scientific backed article I just posted? K thanks.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...ionalmyth.html

Yeah, you are wrong. Thanks for the broscience.
    Didn't read now, will read later tho.

Exactly why am i wrong? The purpose of different weight ranges ( such as pyramid sets) is to stimulate ALL types or muscle fibers, whether they're slow, or fast twitching, since most muscles are a mixture of both (even if you have a dominant one ) both fibers will be stimulated :/
    word.

WOW GUYS. No one in this thread has any reading comprehension. Overload. OVERLOAD. If you can go to the gym and bench 45lbs for 50 reps, and add weight every workout until you are benching 900lbs for 50 reps, guess what, YOU ARE A SWOLE MOTHERFUCKER. Realistically, that doesn't happen, so we utilize the lower rep ranges.

How about you two read my scientific backed article I just posted? K thanks.
    Lawl@you.

Didn't read now, will read later tho.

Exactly why am i wrong? The purpose of different weight ranges ( such as pyramid sets) is to stimulate ALL types or muscle fibers, whether they're slow, or fast twitching, since most muscles are a mixture of both (even if you have a dominant one ) both fibers will be stimulated :/
    You can not target slow twitch fibers, since no matter what rep range you do, slow twitch will be produced.

Lawl@you.
    Cool, because I am right.

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    WOW GUYS. No one in this thread has any reading comprehension. Overload. OVERLOAD. If you can go to the gym and bench 45lbs for 50 reps, and add weight every workout until you are benching 900lbs for 50 reps, guess what, YOU ARE A SWOLE MOTHERFUCKER. Realistically, that doesn't happen, so we utilize the lower rep ranges.
    Technically it's progressive resistance. Muscle gain isn't soley limited to linear progression.

Nonetheless, for old time's sake - tell Bitter if anyone negs you for this.

CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Layne Norton:

"The notion that high rep ranges stimulate slow twitch fibers & low reps stimulate fast twitch fibers. The fact of the matter is that while high reps do stimulate slow twitch fibers, SO DO LOW REPS with heavy weights. You see your fiber types are recruited in order of need: slow twitch first, then intermediate, then fast. So as you can see, if you are lifting heavy loads for low reps you have already maximally stimulated your slow twitch fibers"

Originally Posted by BitterBlossom View Post
    Technically it's progressive resistance.
    progressive overload = progressive resistance? Nevertheless, you can't have overload without progressing.

Cool, because I am right.
    Since your such a tank, I wanna see your tank ass go to the gym and do nothing but low weight with 20 reps for each set for 6 months. Do this, and you aint gonna achieve tankhood son.

Since your such a tank, I wanna see your tank ass go to the gym and do nothing but low weight with 20 reps for each set for 6 months. Do this, and you aint gonna achieve tankhood son.
    The reason why this method is unpopular was explained.

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    People spend to much time worrying about things such as rep ranges when they should be focusing on more important things like progressive overload and a caloric surplus.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sorry but wrong,
    1-5 reps : strong
    6-8 reps : strong and some mass
    8-12 reps : mass mainly
    12-15 reps : mass + endurance
    15+ : endurance mainly

Originally Posted by Akos1712 View Post
    sorry but wrong,
    1-5 reps : strong
    6-8 reps : strong and some mass
    8-12 reps : mass mainly
    12-15 reps : mass + endurance
    15+ : endurance mainly
    Ohplsgo. No matter what rep range you do, you will gain mass if you eat in a surplus/use progressive overload. No matter what.