Closed Thread
Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2523
    Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joe513 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by freewait View Post
    You are correct in playing talent. Theory is the encapsulation of music guidelines/rules, not a means to an end as far as talent/ability go. You can be a great guitarist and never "study" theory, but every musician uses theory. You ever tune a guitar? that's theory. Ever play in key, in time, alternate tunings, use various rhythms, change keys, etc??? That's theory. Many think its just the deep dark nuts and bolts of music but it is also the obvious things.
    When I was younger I hated the word theory, but as I've grown a bit older I realized I use even the complicated theory for more ideas and for breaking out of the box and definitely not for "showing off to my friends". I now want to know why I'm playing a pattern instead of just learning a new pattern.

if your friend is rubbing theory in your face, that's not good. But if its just general conversation and you can learn something that might help you find new ideas, all the better. Its a balance though.

Cheers.
    He says I'm not a musician, but he is. I've been playing guitar and bass for 5 years. He's been playing bass for 3 years. I said to him "Hendrix didn't know theory" and he says "yeah but was a god". Okay whatever. I taught him how to play some stuff, he came to me advice but now all of the sudden he's better than me? I don't think so, technically he is but like I said I think he's playing is bland sounding if that makes sense. Rock and Roll is supposed to be about having fun, making noise and not giving a ****, once you take that element out of it, then it ain't rock and roll to me. Like I said, I'm a big fan of Neil Young, I sort of have the same attitude and style of him and I've had people compliment (to some people it may be a diss) me saying I sound like Neil Young.. I respect and am influenced from all kinds of music, from Eddie Van Halen, to Jack White to Buddy Holly to indian and african tribal music.

Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    anyone have suggestions or guidelines for pick up height on a strat with 11's on it?

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Joe513 View Post
    He says I'm not a musician, but he is. I've been playing guitar and bass for 5 years. He's been playing bass for 3 years. I said to him "Hendrix didn't know theory" and he says "yeah but was a god". Okay whatever. I taught him how to play some stuff, he came to me advice but now all of the sudden he's better than me? I don't think so, technically he is but like I said I think he's playing is bland sounding if that makes sense. Rock and Roll is supposed to be about having fun, making noise and not giving a ****, once you take that element out of it, then it ain't rock and roll to me. Like I said, I'm a big fan of Neil Young, I sort of have the same attitude and style of him and I've had people compliment (to some people it may be a diss) me saying I sound like Neil Young.. I respect and am influenced from all kinds of music, from Eddie Van Halen, to Jack White to Buddy Holly to indian and african tribal music.
    Jimi Hendrix knew much more "music theory" than you probably realize.

As for sounding like Neil Young... leave that to Neil Young. He is one of the very, very few cases where he has almost no technical ability but is still a great guitar player. But he still knows what he's doing (he knows what scales he's using, he knows what key he's in, he knows what notes are in which chords- that's music theory).

Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Evolutionary1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Evolutionary1 View Post
    anyone have suggestions or guidelines for pick up height on a strat with 11's on it?
    bump

Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Honestly, it's very much personal preference and also dependent on the particular pickups you use.
    Speaking generally though, you'll find that if you set the pickups too close to the strings you'll get problems with annoying overtones and string dampening (effectively decreasing sustain) because of the magnetic interference with the strings.
    Have the pickups too low and you lose a fair bit of output and it tends to sound fairly thin.
    A good rule of thumb is to raise the pickups to the point where they start to interfere with the sound and gradually back them off from there to a point where you feel it sounds the best to you. If you want a bit more output, keep them fairly high (but not too high), or if you want a little more definition and a bit less output, back them off a bit more

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    There are string height guidelines from the factory but you'll have to mod those to fit your preference.
    Neck Radius String Height
    Bass Side Treble Side
    7.25" 5/64" 4/64"
    9.5" to 12" 4/64" 4/64"
    15" to 17" 4/64" 3/64"

Pickup Heights: Here are some settings I always use as a starting point which doesn't necessarily follow factory recommendations:
    Bridge pickup
    • Low-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"
    • High-E string: 2.0 mm/0.0787"

Middle pickup
    • Low-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"
    • High-E string: 2.5 mm/0.0984"

Neck pickup
    • Low-E string: 3.5 mm/0.1378"
    • High-E string: 3.0 mm/0.1181"
    The distance is from the bottom of the string (pressed against the last fret) to the top of the pickup magnet.
    Your perfect pickup height depends on the pickups themselves, your strings, and, of course, your playing style, your amp(s) and outboard gear, and personal taste. Some players like the tone of the pickups close to the strings, while others don’t.
    Last edited by freewait; 03-28-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: String Height vs Pickup Height denotation

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    New setup, been busy at work and only played the Laney for about 15 minutes. definitely a metal amp, works as described and shown in the laney youtube videos. Will post up a comparison of these two and them in stereo too.
    My cost for the two heads and the cab was about $2k

Cliff's on Laney:
    - built like a tank, very solid with built in grab handles on top/edges
    - pre boost IS just like a tube screamer in front, too much gain on gain channels and they get muddy, but mid gain saturates, pre-boost too high jacks clean volume a LOT, moderate makes it like a blues lead
    - these EQ controls are very sensitve at the end 1/4 of each range, IE middle half makes a difference, but past 3 or before 9 and there is a huge difference
    - the 'dynmics' and 'tone' controls are very powerful shaping tools, meant to be tweaked according to volume level
    - the watts control just kicks ass, similar to the weber attenuator, does not suck tone
    - gain, lots for days, I was able to tweak and get VERY similar tones to the Mesa lead channels (the Laney has 6L6's)

Last edited by ctgblue; 03-27-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pretty good vid on how to itonate a flattop.

NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NMH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    didnt know this thread existed, sup brahs.

just got into playing guitar (had an acoustic that i bought and never played for 6 years lol)

just picked these up a few weeks ago (sry if pics too big)

pics too big
    Last edited by ctgblue; 04-03-2012 at 04:50 AM.
    MFC

RIP YGST

**KNEE DRAGGERS CREW**

O's/Ravens/Caps

TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I might be late to the party with this, but this company make some pretty cool chit, good prices too.
    Last edited by ctgblue; 04-03-2012 at 04:50 AM.

LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeonLondon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm onto my 3rd guitar, not sure exactly what but on the inside it says 'Lorenzo Flame Series'
    Last edited by LeonLondon; 04-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read through a bit of the thread. Just picked up an acoustic as a hobby I could learn on the cheap. Anyone know of some really solid beginners guides. Like really basic, from step one. I don't even know what size pick to use (picked up a handful of different sizes). I've done some googlings and there are a few sites, but alot of them are disorganized. I have little knowledge of music and will likely "Play by ear". I was going to pick up a book at the store but I kind of figured, grabbing a book, or the wrong book, could be as bad as following a bad guide on the net. Will rep people who help ITT or through PM. Thanks a ton! I've been doing a bit of chord practice from the guides at About.com and JustinSandercoeSongs on youtube.
    ** Electrical & Electrical Engineer Brah **
    ** MWC Brah **
    ** DJ Brah **
    ** This Too Shall Pass Brah**
    "Montre - I like this fukker and I don’t care what any one says, hes a rustler of the golden era, and I like that chit. Speaks his mind, and that’s important." - Weightsb4Dates 09/04/15

Originally Posted by Montre View Post
    Read through a bit of the thread. Just picked up an acoustic as a hobby I could learn on the cheap. Anyone know of some really solid beginners guides. Like really basic, from step one. I don't even know what size pick to use (picked up a handful of different sizes). I've done some googlings and there are a few sites, but alot of them are disorganized. I have little knowledge of music and will likely "Play by ear". I was going to pick up a book at the store but I kind of figured, grabbing a book, or the wrong book, could be as bad as following a bad guide on the net. Will rep people who help ITT or through PM. Thanks a ton! I've been doing a bit of chord practice from the guides at About.com and JustinSandercoeSongs on youtube.
    I'd go take a few lessons from a proven instructor (not a buddy or just someone good on guitar) even if you just take 6-7 lessons and go back to learning on your own. Now is when you'll pick up bad habits or good habits, so do it right. Plus I think you'd progress faster than non personal training from the internet. However, there are some good sites but I don't know of many that are actually organized very well and many go from "beginner" right into more complicated stuff that is not needed for a while. If you can find someone on youtube that has a complete set of beginner lessons at least you can see what you are learning.
    Best of luck and stick with it.
    Cheers.

Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Montre is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd go take a few lessons from a proven instructor (not a buddy or just someone good on guitar) even if you just take 6-7 lessons and go back to learning on your own. Now is when you'll pick up bad habits or good habits, so do it right. Plus I think you'd progress faster than non personal training from the internet. However, there are some good sites but I don't know of many that are actually organized very well and many go from "beginner" right into more complicated stuff that is not needed for a while. If you can find someone on youtube that has a complete set of beginner lessons at least you can see what you are learning.
    Best of luck and stick with it.
    Cheers.
    Thanks man, I'll look for local lessons. Only issue is cash right now. My uncle bought a new acoustic and gave me this one. I literally have no money to blow on hobbies atm. I can't even afford fukin fish oil and multis atm hahaha
    ** Electrical & Electrical Engineer Brah **
    ** MWC Brah **
    ** DJ Brah **
    ** This Too Shall Pass Brah**
    "Montre - I like this fukker and I don’t care what any one says, hes a rustler of the golden era, and I like that chit. Speaks his mind, and that’s important." - Weightsb4Dates 09/04/15

Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Talentedjew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At the moment I use a Fender Squire and a tiny Fender amp my brother bought a long time ago. He quit guitar but I teach myself at the moment. I need better equipment. I would love to buy a nice Gibson (Which I probably wont be able to) or a nice epiphone.

Originally Posted by Montre View Post
    Thanks man, I'll look for local lessons. Only issue is cash right now. My uncle bought a new acoustic and gave me this one. I literally have no money to blow on hobbies atm. I can't even afford fukin fish oil and multis atm hahaha
    Understand. Then next best thing is picking up a good beginner book maybe even from a local library for free and then also looking for beginner lessons on youtube for free. Make sure it starts from the ground up with not only how to play the guitar but the parts of the guitar, how to hold the guitar, hold the pick, tune it, etc.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Recorded a quick comparison of the Laney IronHeart and the Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel amps.
    Everyone was in the house so the tone is very choked down, but pretty representative.
    I will repost when I can open them up, it's hard for me to play very well when I can almost hear the pick attack over the sound of the amp.

Re-recorded video, post 1297
    Last edited by ctgblue; 04-16-2012 at 05:28 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Recorded a quick comparison of the Laney IronHeart and the Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel amps.
    Everyone was in the house so the tone is very choked down, but pretty representative.
    I will repost when I can open them up, it's hard for me to play very well when I can almost hear the pick attack over the sound of the amp.

Yea, I agree with your review. I like the Boogie personally. Never played a Laney but it sounded like really clear definition of notes and I'm sure sounds killer live.

Yea, I agree with your review. I like the Boogie personally. Never played a Laney but it sounded like really clear definition of notes and I'm sure sounds killer live.
    When you figure that the Mesa is $2k new and the Laney is $800, it becomes a REALLY GOOD OPTION.

They both sound full on "metal", but the presence control on the Mesa red channel is so strong, it really "defines the Mesa sound" IMO. with the volumes set so low on this, I didn't realize how much presence was on the orange channel until I listened to the video, the pin sized mic magnifies this effect too.
    The pre-boost on the Laney is really cool, especially when used with the clean channel, it becomes a solo channel.
    But too much boost and the gain channels become muddy, especially when I have the gain set so high on them. However, the more you back off the gain, the more the pre-boost has an effect, and the better the tone change.

The Laney will get a very similar "tone" to the mesa, but it won't nail the Mesa "sound" by any means. But IMO it sounds much better than a Marshall.
    If Blackstar had met delivery, it would have been an HT100 vs Dual Rec video, but with the watts control on the Laney, and the fact that the lead and rhythym channel have separate EQ's, I believe I will be happier with the Laney in the long run.
    It will be the head i grab and 'take somewhere to jam', as it is relatively light and has the massive grab handles on the top edges.
    Last edited by ctgblue; 04-10-2012 at 06:28 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Now I am looking to fill that last spot with a micro amp.
    It has to be able to run on AC OR Battery power.
    Narrowing it to the :
    Marshall MG2FX
    Vox Mini 3
    Line 6 Micro Spider
    Roland Micro Cube

Days past it would have been the Roland, hands down, but the others have caught the technology and, when I get the chance to try them, may have surpassed the sound.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey All,

I'm a relatively new guitar player and I'm looking to buy either a preamp, or amp. I live in an apartment, so I would prefer to be able to plug my guitar directly into the computer and play it through that. I understand that I need either a preamp or amp in order to do this. I don't have any plans to go play anywhere else besides my house.

Does anyone have any good recommendations of something that I could get? I heard the Line Pro equipment would be good?

Originally Posted by MuscleXtreme View Post
    Hey All,

I'm a relatively new guitar player and I'm looking to buy either a preamp, or amp. I live in an apartment, so I would prefer to be able to plug my guitar directly into the computer and play it through that. I understand that I need either a preamp or amp in order to do this. I don't have any plans to go play anywhere else besides my house.

Does anyone have any good recommendations of something that I could get? I heard the Line Pro equipment would be good?
    You do not need an amp or preamp to go directly into your computer unless you are genuinely trying to get a specific true tube amp sound. But you will need to install amplifier modeling software. Playing directly to a computer without an amplifier means you must use amplifier modeling software to add the "amp sound" to your sound/recording. A couple I've used in the past was Guitar Rig and Amplitube. It gives multiple amplifier options as well as built-in effects modeling. I'm sure there are tons of other ones out there.

If you plan to record, you'll also need recording software and there are many out there as well. An ok free one is Audacity but you'll need to download a lot of the free add-ons to make it really work.

Probably the best advice I have is to Install a FireWire interface. The benefit of using a FireWire interface is zero latency.
    A 24 bit audio card is also recommended.

good luck.

War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey All,

I live in an apartment myself.

I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Stu...4236752&sr=8-1

My guitar plugs into it, it into my laptop. Bunch of amps, preamps, effects, ect already on it and you can get more (just bought Metal Shop, more amps!!!)

You can plug earphones in and rock away with no one none the wiser!!! \m/ \m/
    * anatolian shepherd crew *

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You do not need an amp or preamp to go directly into your computer unless you are genuinely trying to get a specific true tube amp sound. But you will need to install amplifier modeling software. Playing directly to a computer without an amplifier means you must use amplifier modeling software to add the "amp sound" to your sound/recording. A couple I've used in the past was Guitar Rig and Amplitube. It gives multiple amplifier options as well as built-in effects modeling. I'm sure there are tons of other ones out there.

If you plan to record, you'll also need recording software and there are many out there as well. An ok free one is Audacity but you'll need to download a lot of the free add-ons to make it really work.

Probably the best advice I have is to Install a FireWire interface. The benefit of using a FireWire interface is zero latency.
    A 24 bit audio card is also recommended.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I tried plugging my guitar into my laptop, but I don't have a line-in input on the laptop, just the microphone input. When I tried plugging it into that, no sound could be heard.

I also have Audacity, and I thought that would work as software amplification and also allow me to record. Unfortunately, even with Audacity running and my guitar plugged into the microphone jack no sound could be heard.

Originally Posted by War Machine View Post

I use:

My guitar plugs into it, it into my laptop. Bunch of amps, preamps, effects, ect already on it and you can get more (just bought Metal Shop, more amps!!!)

Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I use:

I actually forgot about that little guy. Nice setup for playing with computer or other devices and actually sounds pretty good. Does it use USB to the computer? Also I think you have to line out - to line in if you wanted to use the computer speakers right/wrong?? Not seen one used in a while.

Thanks for the advice! I tried plugging my guitar into my laptop, but I don't have a line-in input on the laptop, just the microphone input. When I tried plugging it into that, no sound could be heard.
    Yep, if you don't have a line-in its not going to work without something on the outside boosting the signal. Sorry.

A mic input accepts signals from microphones or other devices that output at "mic level", which is very, very low.

I like the POD solution the other poster recommended.

War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I actually forgot about that little guy. Nice setup for playing with computer or other devices and actually sounds pretty good. Does it use USB to the computer? Also I think you have to line out - to line in if you wanted to use the computer speakers right/wrong?? Not seen one used in a while.
    Yes, it USB connects my laptop.

If I want to use my computer speakers I just take out the headphones and plug in the speakers.

The UX1,when connected, replaces the computers sound card.

Yes, it USB connects my laptop.

If I want to use my computer speakers I just take out the headphones and plug in the speakers.

The UX1,when connected, replaces the computers sound card.

Awesome, thanks guys. My guitar is getting set up right now, had a nasty buzz on the 6th string. Can't wait to get an amp for this guy.

If you don't need the xlr mic input, you can go basic with
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-with-pod-farm
    it gives amp models, effects, cabs, etc.. and also has mic preamps to use if you want to mic an amp later, using an xlr - 1/4 cable

$99

this is the same input device I have with my 'gearbox gold' bundle

it is all you need to just plug in and play through the computer
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

How often do you guys practice?