Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    ---

This is a good question. I'd answer only from my own personal experience. Doing a shrug at the top of a deadlift WILL work with lighter weights (it's all relative), but once you get into the five-rep range or lower, the pre-exhaustion effect will be in place. That makes your traps more vulnerable, IMHO, to a tear, and this happened once with me a few years back. Tore both trap muscles (actually, strained them really badly) and suffered from spasms and headaches for about three months. Therefore, I'd recommend that if you do the combo, do the deadlifts i.e. the set itself first, and finish off by doing shrugs and do them with lighter weights you can shrug with for about ten to twelve reps. Once the deadlift gets into the five or lower range, deadlift and only that. JMO...

Your shoulders should be tight through the whole dead. Your arms do not just 'hang'. (or should not)
    I have gotten 'cocky' and shrugged heavier deads for the heck of it. I would not recommend it though. Some times you get fired up when you can rip up something easier then you thought

High rep deads really target the traps better then anything. The heavier the better. "heavy" is a relative thing, but you can really punish yourself on some 15 rep even 20 rep deads. Brutal and you will be sore in places you did not even know existed.

I with regular deads, I dont really see the need for shrugs. I get all the stim from deads and rows. Arguably my traps might be one of my best developed parts....and I would have to attribute that do the deads....
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Your shoulders should be tight through the whole dead. Your arms do not just 'hang'. (or should not)
    I have gotten 'cocky' and shrugged heavier deads for the heck of it. I would not recommend it though. Some times you get fired up when you can rip up something easier then you thought

High rep deads really target the traps better then anything. The heavier the better. "heavy" is a relative thing, but you can really punish yourself on some 15 rep even 20 rep deads. Brutal and you will be sore in places you did not even know existed.

I with regular deads, I dont really see the need for shrugs. I get all the stim from deads and rows. Arguably my traps might be one of my best developed parts....and I would have to attribute that do the deads....
    ---

Agree with the "stay tight" comment. Relaxing at any time during the dead is a sure recipe for disaster.

Some guys, though, no matter how many deads they do, high or low-rep, will never get that bulging, 'hump' effect to their traps, so they may need a little extra stimulation. Therefore, doing shrugs with lighter (relative to the individual) or upright rows may help a bit more.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    ---

A..matter how many deads they do, high or low-rep, will never get that bulging, 'hump' effect to their traps, so they may need a little extra stimulation..

Yep....like many muscle groups, there are things we can and can not control. How they tie-in will determine a lot of how they develop over time. I have been lucky in this area, so my advice may not be the best. I do know that deads will work them well, but you are right, some guys may need more stimulation.

I think BTO mentioned farmers. That will really work you if you can find a place to do them. I know this from real world (non-training) lifting. Farmers will work the crap out of your traps.
    RAW lifts

BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not something I would try, but if you can nail down proper form, power shrugs could be awesome working the traps.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...ml#post4712284

anonymous
    +1 on lighter, controlled shrugs. I hate doing them with the barbell because of shoulder impingement, and DB shrugs feel weird, but if you have a shrug bar then they are great.

there are a lot of shrug varients most people should be doing to focus on scapular stability, and straight up and down BB shrugs aren't really high on that list

rack deads, or deads off boxes

rows.

powe shrugs destroy the muscles, but they always felt like they could tear something when I did them.. and let's be honest, if you're shrugging more than you can deadlift then you're doing it wrong. There are some awful (or hilarious) youtube vids of smaller lifters doing power seizures with 700+ lbs that make my RC's and lower back hurt just watching them

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    I agree with you, but watch out, the self appointed strongman police, FLEX, will neg you for mentioning stuff like that. Apparently it doesn't matter if there's a bodybuilding benefit or not, guess its blasphemy here or something.
    Lol, Then let the news flow!

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Do you see face pulls as a building movement, or more of an overall conditioning move of the traps, rhomboids, rear shoulder? I don't know that I have explained that question very well, but can't think of a better way to put it. I guess I am just trying to figure out the intensity level you shoot for with face pulls?
    I do face pulls at the end of my workouts and I view them as a working exercise....I will start off in the 10-12 rep range for pne set then add weight and move to a 6-8 rep range for 3-4 sets, whoch i consider my working sets. I am an "older" guy that can sling some pretty good weight around and I credit these 100% for keeping my shoulders healthy.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    [QUOTE=BLaaR;1026126793]Not something I would try, but if you can nail down proper form, power shrugs could be awesome working the traps.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...ml#post4712284[/QUOT

I am in on the power shrugs. In conjunction with slower, controlled shrugs (never light; light shrugs are waste of time, IMO), and deads, you should have no trouble developing nice and strong traps.
    Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You won't see much trap development though until you're shrugging 400+ lbs so get adding weight!

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JonnoAUS View Post
    You won't see much trap development though until you're shrugging 400+ lbs so get adding weight!
    I now believe you are either a troll or just plain stupid.

flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flyineagle96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Power cleans,shrugs!!!
    Keep lifting,the weak drink booze!!!

Originally Posted by flyineagle96 View Post
    Power cleans,shrugs!!!

Power cleans are a good one too!!!

Nice
    RAW lifts

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At my beginner stage I can only DL 315. Past that my lower back isnt strong enought yet but my upper body has plenty strenght. This is why I do shrugs. At some point my body will even out in strenght and I can drop the shrugs.....but for now finishing off with shrugs completes my needs

racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000) racedoc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JimmyJonny View Post
    At my beginner stage I can only DL 315. Past that my lower back isnt strong enought yet but my upper body has plenty strenght. This is why I do shrugs. At some point my body will even out in strenght and I can drop the shrugs.....but for now finishing off with shrugs completes my needs
    Nothing wrong with a 315 deadlift - that's still a lot of weight for many of us! Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jd2967 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I know I don't fit the age for this forum, but this thread showed up on the forum mainpage.

And, well...

<---

Heavy (relative, more than 5 reps =/= heavy) barbell shrugs. Straight up and down. No squeeze.
    8 to 10 sets of 1 to 5 reps twice a week.

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deads
    Farmer Carries
    Power Cleans
    Tire Flip
    One arm snatch
    Dumbell Burpees
    Speed Sumo Deads
    Sumo High Pull
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonnoAUS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    I now believe you are either a troll or just plain stupid.

Er.....neither. The traps need to be punished. And can handle a HELL of a lot of weight. Bill Starr often said a goal is at least 5 or 6 plates a side. And more.

I used to power shrug with moderate weights - I'm not strong - with around 320-330 for 5 reps. And I always figured 5 reps ala Starr style never builds much muscle anyway.

But from starting out shrugging with half of what i mentioned to using the total above.....zero trap development.

And I knew I was hitting it correctly because I had a deep soreness for days. So kinda figured 400+ lbs would be needed to get some growth.

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JimmyJonny View Post
    A 3 plate DL as a begginer is actually impressive.
    It's not your beliefs that make you a better person, it's your behavior.

"If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a b1tch ain't 1" JayZ

pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jd2967 View Post
    I know I don't fit the age for this forum, but this thread showed up on the forum mainpage.

And, well...

<---

Heavy (relative, more than 5 reps =/= heavy) barbell shrugs. Straight up and down. No squeeze.
    8 to 10 sets of 1 to 5 reps twice a week.
    We have a winner!

Originally Posted by JonnoAUS View Post
    Er.....neither. The traps need to be punished. And can handle a HELL of a lot of weight. Bill Starr often said a goal is at least 5 or 6 plates a side. And more.

I used to power shrug with moderate weights - I'm not strong - with around 320-330 for 5 reps. And I always figured 5 reps ala Starr style never builds much muscle anyway.

But from starting out shrugging with half of what i mentioned to using the total above.....zero trap development.

And I knew I was hitting it correctly because I had a deep soreness for days. So kinda figured 400+ lbs would be needed to get some growth.
    No, no muscle needs to be punished, that is a stupid mentality. Pushed, yes. Punished, no.

5x5 doesn't build much muscle? Holy shiat! Then you quote Bill Starr, the king of mass and strength....who invented the 5x5 programs... 5x5 programs build huge mass and huge strength...That is why so many programs have copied Starr.

The problem with your posts is your blindly making statements like "3000 calories will make you fat" or "400# for big traps" or even better, "5x5 doesn't build much muscle". You have much to learn, I would sit back, read and hit the journals before you start making these types of statements.

yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hated dead for years and didn't do them. just in the last couple weeks I started doing them again with my kids. we use a Hex bar. your hands stay down to your side more like a dumbbell shrug. I can rep 350 8 times and then after a couple sets of them I did a one rep max of 395. I thought that wasn't bad for only two weeks doing them again. I can see improvement in my traps already. since my shoulder surgery I can't reach back for conventional squats so I gave them up and have been looking for a good alternative. the Hex bar is the way to go in my case.
    Yetti

globalmaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I loved to try deads but with my bad knees( to many tears , and needing surgery in the right ) is there a way to try deads and not put a ton of pressure on the knees.

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have bad knees also, I do rack pulls... just set the pins to knee height and pull it from there.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    <----- Count this guy in that deads do nothing for my traps.

I have to hit them more directly with shrugs and farmers and upright rows.

Deads just don't stimulate my traps enough to make them grow.
    On the list for Bannukah

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Brosynthesis View Post
    Going to be 100% with you.
    Fapping.
    I am serious.
    I don't work out traps, but I do fap a lot, so my conclusion is that fapping made them grow.

Edit: this isnt the misc, is it? Bb.com mobile doesnt show categories. Sorry guys if this isnt misc.
    Ahahahahahaha...if this were true I'd look like Jim Wendler when he was fat.

(semisrs)
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DB shrugs and DB upright rows seem to hit my traps better than any other movements.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Aside from deads,

Farmers and shrugs

I do a combo.....

get a comfortable weight

Farmer walk it, when you stop, rep out the shrugs

without putting the weight down do this 3 times.

Farmers and Shrugs for the win! I do farmers all the time and am the only person that does them, or at least I never see anyone else ever doing them. Have even had people ask me wtf i'm doing and when I explain they thank me and claim they will try them but never do. Our db's only go to #145 but that's ok since I can't make a complete lap of the gym without my grip giving out while using those anyways. The #120's are plenty for now but then when I started out 3 yrs ago I could barely use the 70's.

And I honestly credit shrugs as well as behind the back shrugs with my trap development so far. Start out with 135 and work up to 405, what's weird though is I can only do 5 reps with the bar in front before my grip gives out whereas with the bar behind me I can do 10 reps with 405.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As for any muscle I will always believe in direct work for maximum benefit. Since upright rows, deadlifts, face pulls etc... should already be in the "plan" of training sessions already..... I'm going to have to say shruggs are going to help build them even that much more.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) y0lked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    heavy squats, FRONT SQUATS, deads and POWER CLEANS. anything else is just run of the mill bull chit
    Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)

**Dallas Cowboys**
    **Sacramento Kings**
    **San Jose Sharks**

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by y0lked View Post
    heavy squats, FRONT SQUATS, deads and POWER CLEANS. anything else is just run of the mill bull chit
    Did you even read the question by the OP
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) geer_matt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Big traps aren't all they are cracked up to be..... I have to carry my bags in my hands now cause the strap just keeps sliding off.
    Get your ass in the gym period!