Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeniorPouch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Will look into this,

dmercer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.

Hey Tom, would you recommend this workout for a beginner to start out with who is cutting on a 500 calorie deficit?

adeelo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For the drop sets I would recommend keeping your first set in the 8-12 rep range and then the drops can be higher/lower depending on the magnitude and number of drops that you are doing, although there are a few different approaches. Typically I like to keep the reps a little lower on each set and use more frequent drops - every 10 lbs is usually what I go with for dumbbell movements as long as I am keeping a rep or two in the tank on the first set of the drop set.

Here are a few options of ways to configure a drop set for someone who can Hammer Curl 40 lbs dumbbells for 10-12 reps:

Option 1:

40 lbs DB's x 10-12
    20 lbs DB's x 10-12

Option 2:

40 lbs DB's x 8
    30 lbs DB's x 8
    20 lbs DB's x 8
    10 lbs DB's x 8

Option 3:

40 lbs DB's x 5
    30 lbs DB's x 10
    20 lbs DB's x 15
    10 lbs DB's x 20

Option 4:

55 lbs DB's x 3
    45 lbs DB's x 5
    35 lbs DB's x 7
    25 lbs DB's x 9
    15 lbs DB's x 11 (or failure)

As you will see the final two options deviate from the rep scheme, but they should all prove to be challenging and serve as a good 'finisher' for your workout.
    Tom,

Thanks for the response. I was doing about 12 reps overall across the drop set so I am *really* glad I got this confirmation .

I am looking to do a mix of strength and hypertrophy. If it must tilt in a direction, I would prefer it be for strength. I assume that means lower reps are better aligned with my goals? Option 1 sounds like best bet then. Fewer drop sets with bigger reduction in weights. Sounds right?

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shotgunsays View Post
    I'm going to give this program a go once I've recovered fully from my surgery. I tore my meniscus and right glute, so I'm betting that i've lost a majority of my strength. This looks like it could help me get it back quickly. As far as progression goes, Are you adding weight each workout or shooting for more reps? I'm sure this has been answered, but what I was thinking was on the big lifts, shoot for 3-5+ reps on the final set and once you get above 5 its time to add weight.
    I would recommend auto-regulation, when you feel strong your should train heavier but if you feel 'off' then you should simply work to get in a good session but not end up missing lifts or making yourself too frustrated. It would be best to keep a training journal so that you can have record of rep PR's and constantly strive to improve them; although trying to force progression could lead to disappointment so I would let it come naturally through hard work and discipline.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dmercer08 View Post
    Hey Tom, would you recommend this workout for a beginner to start out with who is cutting on a 500 calorie deficit?
    I assume that your goal is weight loss since you are in a calorie deficit, and this program could work quite well when coupled with an effective cardiovascular/metabolic program. Since you are only weight training three days per week it leaves plenty of time for the 4-5 HIIT sessions that I would employ to boost your metabolism / burn fat. The weight training will help you to build muscle which will also increase your metabolism and improve overall body composition as you work to achieve your target weight, and this program covers all major muscle groups which is ideal.

When you add in the cardio sessions I would make sure to have one day per week fully dedicated to rest/recovery. You may also want to look at doing a 're-feed' day to retain more muscle and keep your metabolism going since the deficit will eventually lead you to a plateau.

OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just wanted to say thanks to Tom for the workout. I've been doing this for a month now? and I can already feel a difference in my workout. Thanks for the advice on FB as well.

and with that...I'm off to do the chest day exercises
    Dave

OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sorry Tom, I'm asking a lot of questions about this

"For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range."

On the compound part you first set is 3-5, next is 5-8, do you start with a heavier weight then on that first set and reduce on the second? That's a drop set, correct?
    Dave

Originally Posted by adeelo View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for the response. I was doing about 12 reps overall across the drop set so I am *really* glad I got this confirmation .

I am looking to do a mix of strength and hypertrophy. If it must tilt in a direction, I would prefer it be for strength. I assume that means lower reps are better aligned with my goals? Option 1 sounds like best bet then. Fewer drop sets with bigger reduction in weights. Sounds right?
    All of the options could work for your goals, although I would go with Option 1 since that would bring your closer to failure on the first set and then a more drastic drop to knock out a few more reps and fully exhaust yourself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or things that you would like to brainstorm.

Originally Posted by OutdoorsinCO View Post
    Sorry Tom, I'm asking a lot of questions about this

"For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range."

On the compound part you first set is 3-5, next is 5-8, do you start with a heavier weight then on that first set and reduce on the second? That's a drop set, correct?
    Actually the rep ranges are for the exercises, so your workout might look like this:

- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets) / 80's x 5, 85's x 5, 90's x 4
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets) / 175 lbs x 8, 185 lbs x 6
    - Dips (2 sets) / BW x 10, 10
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets) / 55's x 12, 10
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets) / 80 lb DB x 10 x 2 sets
    - Side Laterals (2 sets) / 25's x 12 x 2 sets
    - Pushdowns (2 sets) / 120 lbs x 15 x 2 sets
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set) / 70 lbs per hand x 15 (drop set) 40 lbs per hand x 15

Actually the rep ranges are for the exercises, so your workout might look like this:

- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets) / 80's x 5, 85's x 5, 90's x 4
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets) / 175 lbs x 8, 185 lbs x 6
    - Dips (2 sets) / BW x 10, 10
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets) / 55's x 12, 10
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets) / 80 lb DB x 10 x 2 sets
    - Side Laterals (2 sets) / 25's x 12 x 2 sets
    - Pushdowns (2 sets) / 120 lbs x 15 x 2 sets
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set) / 70 lbs per hand x 15 (drop set) 40 lbs per hand x 15
    Thank you Sir!
    Dave

Here is a version of the program that I added some information to and tweaked a bit for a friend, this may be a bit easier to follow since the reps and sets are mapped out more clearly:

Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split:

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps)
    - Chins or Wide Grip Pulldowns (3-4 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)
    - Hammer Curls (2 sets of 10 reps)

- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets of 8-10 reps)
    - Dips (2 sets of max reps)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets of 8-12 reps)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets of 15-25 reps)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 drop set of 20-30 total reps)

- Squats (3 sets of 5-8 reps)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (3 sets of 6-10 reps)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets of 10 reps/leg)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets of 10-25 reps/set)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

Here is a version of the program that I added some information to and tweaked a bit for a friend, this may be a bit easier to follow since the reps and sets are mapped out more clearly:

awesome! thank you!
    Dave

Lucho86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Tom,

I see that you left out deadlift on monday for your friend, any specific reason? Love your programme, tweaked it a bit for my needs by adding more volume on chest day (4 sets for db bench press and 3 sets for bb bench set). Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by Lucho86 View Post
    Hi Tom,

I see that you left out deadlift on monday for your friend, any specific reason? Love your programme, tweaked it a bit for my needs by adding more volume on chest day (4 sets for db bench press and 3 sets for bb bench set). Keep up the good work!
    Glad to hear that the program is working well for you, and that is some good attention to detail noticing that the deadlifts were omitted when I expanded on the program for my friend. My reason for dropping them from the weekly routine is that they in my opinion do not provide a huge return on investment for a lot of trainees and can cause recovery issues.

If you are already training your Back from all angles and training all of the muscles in your lower body (including SLDL for hamstrings/low back) then the deadlifts could take away from the Upper Body Pulling workout. This is not to say that you should not deadlift at all, they could be done in place of Squats on the Lower Body day and you could swap the SLDL for Front Squats in that workout if you are looking for some variation. The best gains on my deadlift were made when pulling heavy only 1-2 times per month and there were periods where I would not deadlift for a few months and would still gain strength in the movement from performing lifts that train the same muscle groups and allowing for adequate recovery.

For someone who is looking to compete in Powerlifting or Strongman they would likely want to modify things a bit; this program is meant to be generic and work well for a broad range of trainees.

Olabola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

This is extremely helpful Tom, thank you! I am new to alot of these exercises here, since upuntil now I have been doing 2-split with mostly compound movements. I have a few questions.

- I might go for the first version since I love my deadlifts. I felt like switching the order up and do the chins before the deads? Or is there any specific thought behind that order?
    - I don't really like the straight leg deadlifts, my flexibility is crap. Is there a similar excercise or will flexibility get better over time? I'm really just not feeling it right now.
    - What is the reason for going dumbbell instead of barbell on bench press and military press? (is seated dumbbell press better than standing barbell military press?).
    - I am new to superset, read up a little on it, and it means I should go directly from leg curl (where I do 10-25 reps) to leg press (where I also do 10-25)?

Hope my questions are formulated well, thanks again.

easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tom, workout looks good. I like the mix of rep ranges, something I've enjoyed previously on 4-5 day splits. I've been on/off with the gym for a few months, so this will be perfect for me to get back in there, plus I'm working out with a friend who's a total gym newbie. Quick question, why one arm dumbbell row over barbell rows, or even T-bar rows? Also interested in the answers to the above questions. Thanks.
    Last edited by easye7; 01-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ampedlift has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Is this good for a beginner? I'm 18, been lifting for a month but following a bad program given to me by a friend whose been working out a lot, just gave me his 6 day split. Looked into SS but it doesn't interest me really, this looks like a nice program though. My general goal is aesthetics, with a background in strength.

Responses are below in bold, hopefully this information is helpful.

Originally Posted by Olabola View Post
    This is extremely helpful Tom, thank you! I am new to alot of these exercises here, since upuntil now I have been doing 2-split with mostly compound movements. I have a few questions.

- I might go for the first version since I love my deadlifts. I felt like switching the order up and do the chins before the deads? Or is there any specific thought behind that order?

I always like to put the more challenging or primary compound movements at the beginning of the workout so that you can attack them when you are fresh. In this cases deadlifts also take a longer time to warm-up for while the other movements do not, so it would create a better pace for your training if you did not perform one exercise and then have to go through 5-10 minutes of warm-up for the next movement.

With that said, if you prefer to devote more energy toward the chins and start off with that movement you could still make the same overall gains so it is definitely something that you can do.

- I don't really like the straight leg deadlifts, my flexibility is crap. Is there a similar excercise or will flexibility get better over time? I'm really just not feeling it right now.

Instead of SLDL you could do standing leg curls (if your gym has the machine), or even a different variation such as seated or laying leg curls. Another alternative would be to do leg press with your feet high on the platform and close together, with feet pointed straight (not angled).

If you have poor flexibility I would still work on that to at least get to the point where you can touch your toes. Having tight hamstrings can lead to other problems down the road if not addressed.

- What is the reason for going dumbbell instead of barbell on bench press and military press? (is seated dumbbell press better than standing barbell military press?).

Yes - dumbbell bench press is much easier on your shoulders and I have found it to be more effective for bodybuilding and general strength training as you can alter your ROM easily and are forced to stabilize two separate implements rather than just one. When I was doing a lot of bench pressing (dumbbell and some barbell thrown in) I noticed that my Barbell Bench would always stay about 40 lbs over my combined dumbbell bench even with minimal BB bench work - for example if I could DB Bench 110's for 8 then my BB Bench would be 260 x 8 when I tested it.

If you are looking to build your shoulder size/strength then I would definitely take Seated DB press over standing military press. The fact that you are doing incline press with a barbell will work similar muscles to the standing military press but will allow you to overload the movement since incline also engages your chest. For someone who is looking for a movement to assist with overhead press strength for a specific sport (strongman, etc.) then it would make sense to include the standing military press, but for general size/strength the seated DB press is a better movement in my opinion.

- I am new to superset, read up a little on it, and it means I should go directly from leg curl (where I do 10-25 reps) to leg press (where I also do 10-25)?

A super-set is where you perform two exercises without resting between them. These exercises typically work the same muscle groups and generally you will start off with a compound movement then move to an isolation movement. In most cases the first set will be near failure and the second set of the super-set (second exercise) will be performed with a weight that is challenging based on circumstances but typically lighter than what you might use if you were performing the exercise as a stand-alone.

Drop sets would be where you perform the same exercise and lower the weight to continue the set without resting.

Both of these techniques can be used to increase the intensity and efficiency of your training.

Hope my questions are formulated well, thanks again.

Originally Posted by easye7 View Post
    Tom, workout looks good. I like the mix of rep ranges, something I've enjoyed previously on 4-5 day splits. I've been on/off with the gym for a few months, so this will be perfect for me to get back in there, plus I'm working out with a friend who's a total gym newbie. Quick question, why one arm dumbbell row over barbell rows, or even T-bar rows? Also interested in the answers to the above questions. Thanks.
    One-arm dumbbell rows are easier for most people to perform with good technique, and you still have options in terms of how much momentum you want to use on them depending on your goals (strength vs size). Another advantage to one-arm rows is that since you are training each side of your back/biceps independently you can focus more energy on the set which may allow for you to train heavier or higher repetitions than you could if using your entire back/biceps at the same time. Lastly, the one-arm rows typically have a greater ROM and allow more control over the angle at which you are positioned since you can use a rack or bench to stabilize yourself rather than simply being in a bent-over position like you would be with barbell or t-bar rows.

If you have a strong preference for barbell / t-bar then there is no reason not to include those exercises in the program and switch them out with something comparable, which could be a cable row or the dumbbell rows. Part of the key to a successful program is doing something that you enjoy so that you are excited to hit the gym for each session.

jgutta23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any Ab workout to incorporate with this workout?

Originally Posted by jgutta23 View Post
    Any Ab workout to incorporate with this workout?
    You can add in abdominal and low back (core) training 1-3 times per week depending on the volume and intensity. It can be coupled with the training days or performed on 'rest' days, although I would not do any abdominal/low back training the day before your Lower Body training day to prevent overuse/strains.

matt6233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just started first day of this (first version). I think it's going to be pretty good for getting back into the mix of working out, I was pretty exhausted by the end of it. Only thing in comparison to some other programs I've done is there were more bicep/ curl type lifts. Just looking at you're bodyspace I think I can take your word for it, I just want to be sure I'm working my arms enough because I feel that's my weakest point in comparison to other parts of my body. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by matt6233 View Post
    Just started first day of this (first version). I think it's going to be pretty good for getting back into the mix of working out, I was pretty exhausted by the end of it. Only thing in comparison to some other programs I've done is there were more bicep/ curl type lifts. Just looking at you're bodyspace I think I can take your word for it, I just want to be sure I'm working my arms enough because I feel that's my weakest point in comparison to other parts of my body. Thanks for posting!
    If you prefer to add in a bit more volume for direct arms training it is fine as long as you don't go overboard; an extra 2-3 sets of biceps and triceps would not have any negative impact and could help to accelerate your results.

I could write a program a bit more focused on direct arm training specific to bodybuilding - the general routine is for a mix of total body size/strength.

jgutta23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok and one more question. I'm using the revised workout plan you made for a friend. I was wondering for Legs day what can I substitute in place of squats? I had knee surgery a few years back and I don't quite trust squatting.

Originally Posted by jgutta23 View Post
    Ok and one more question. I'm using the revised workout plan you made for a friend. I was wondering for Legs day what can I substitute in place of squats? I had knee surgery a few years back and I don't quite trust squatting.
    Have you tried squat variations (box squats, front squats, etc.)? If you are not comfortable with free weight movements then you could swap out the squats for Leg Press and replace Leg Press with Leg Extensions in the super-set at the end of the workout.

vbarvmuuj1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How can I switch the overhead dumblle extension? I fell a lot of pain In my neck during this exercise.

Originally Posted by vbarvmuuj1 View Post
    How can I switch the overhead dumblle extension? I fell a lot of pain In my neck during this exercise.
    Are you able to do overhead extensions with a low pulley cable attachment or barbell? If not then you could replace them with barbell or DB extensions 'skull crushers' performed laying on a bench (flat, decline, or inline) to stabilize your neck during the movement.

matt6233 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you prefer to add in a bit more volume for direct arms training it is fine as long as you don't go overboard; an extra 2-3 sets of biceps and triceps would not have any negative impact and could help to accelerate your results.

I could write a program a bit more focused on direct arm training specific to bodybuilding - the general routine is for a mix of total body size/strength.
    Yeah man that sounds like a good idea, if you could do that I'd appreciate it.

easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    One-arm dumbbell rows are easier for most people to perform with good technique, and you still have options in terms of how much momentum you want to use on them depending on your goals (strength vs size). Another advantage to one-arm rows is that since you are training each side of your back/biceps independently you can focus more energy on the set which may allow for you to train heavier or higher repetitions than you could if using your entire back/biceps at the same time. Lastly, the one-arm rows typically have a greater ROM and allow more control over the angle at which you are positioned since you can use a rack or bench to stabilize yourself rather than simply being in a bent-over position like you would be with barbell or t-bar rows.

If you have a strong preference for barbell / t-bar then there is no reason not to include those exercises in the program and switch them out with something comparable, which could be a cable row or the dumbbell rows. Part of the key to a successful program is doing something that you enjoy so that you are excited to hit the gym for each session.
    Thanks Tom, I'll give the one arm rows a go for a few weeks, they aren't something I've included in my workouts since high school, so who knows, maybe they'll be a nice change of pace. Just to clarify, this isn't a powerlifting workout, just a mix of strength/hypertrophy (assuming diets on point) training?

Originally Posted by easye7 View Post
    Thanks Tom, I'll give the one arm rows a go for a few weeks, they aren't something I've included in my workouts since high school, so who knows, maybe they'll be a nice change of pace. Just to clarify, this isn't a powerlifting workout, just a mix of strength/hypertrophy (assuming diets on point) training?
    Sometimes changing up your exercise selection can lead to new gains.

This 3-day split program from the beginning of this thread should provide you with a good balance of strength, size, and conditioning assuming that your diet and lifestyle are in order (eating enough and consuming high quality foods, getting sufficient rest, no excess drinking, etc.).

There are other programs in this thread that could help someone to specialize if their primary focus is to compete in Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, or Strongman.