rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rmartinez13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Warming up for squats?

How do you warm up when you are going to do squats. Tell me the stretches you use to warm up or how many warm up sets you do and at what weight.

Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Transformer01 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wouldnt you just do a warm up set of squats with just the bar and no weight on it?

Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joel-Boyd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by rmartinez13 View Post
    How do you warm up when you are going to do squats. Tell me the stretches you use to warm up or how many warm up sets you do and at what weight.
    Depends on how much you can lift. For someone like myself, I warmup with 135lb's for 10 because I end on 315 for 8. So it pretty much depends on how much you can squat, and whatever really works for you.
    Come run with the big dogs
    JB

NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NJMscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I warm up with 135 for 8 or how many I feel reps

Will become a Natural Pro UCFBuilder's Avatar
    UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i normally stretch for about 10 mins before i even leave for the gym..the when i get there i stretch for another few mins

since i squat in a 4X5 style..my first two are 135 and 225 so those basically my warm-up sets..then my next two are the heavy sets going all out

Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000) Bon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do 3-4 sets of warm up squats.

Originally Posted by UCFBuilder View Post
    i normally stretch for about 10 mins before i even leave for the gym..the when i get there i stretch for another few mins

since i squat in a 4X5 style..my first two are 135 and 225 so those basically my warm-up sets..then my next two are the heavy sets going all out
    You count your warm up sets toward your total working sets..?

And why do you stretch that much prior to squats?
    "Success rests not only on ability, but upon commitment, loyalty, and pride."
    - Vince Lombardi

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    - Socrates

omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50) omfgapolarbear will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It depends. I usually do a few sets of very very light (basically pointless weight) extensions and curls to get some blood into my knees, and then start warming up with squats. 135, 185, 225, then into working sets of triples and singles. If anything is tight, and often if its not, I foam roll both before and after training. If my hips are tight I'll do some band abductions to loosen then up.
    You can wait for tomorrow, I gotta make it happen.

Chew Crew

LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LankedOut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You could do some hip flexibility stuff before hand if you really want but usually just starting off with a light weight and increasing it is all good.

Registered User aempowerlifting's Avatar
    aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This may be different because I'm still competing in powerlifting, but my warm-up goes like:
    General Warm-Up
    5 minutes stationary bike
    agility & mobility drills (Joe Defranco's Agile 8)
    extra hip flexor and groin stretching if I feel tight

Squats
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    225 x 5
    315 x 1
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    425 x 1
    ...so on so forth

Registered User LIVEStrong4Life's Avatar
    LIVEStrong4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I generally do a variety of different stretches for about 10 minutes. Then...

Ex) From my last squats for 3*5*255

1*5*45
    1*5*135
    1*5*185
    1*3*205
    1*2*225
    Then go to my working sets. BTW my set of 1*5*45 is before I start stretching.

IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i first jog for 5 mins, then stretch my hammys and hip flexors. Then i do 2 warm up sets with the bar, then 135 pounds atg. Really really helps with all that, def helps lift more and get lower

The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Terrorist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Jogging = bad

Stretching = weaker

Hamstrings does not = squat

IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IceyVeins is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by The_Terrorist View Post
    Jogging = bad

Stretching = weaker

were you talking to me lol, i jog to get the blood pumping, i stretch because im so damn unflexible, unless i stretch i cant even get parallel or atg

Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fearghas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    And why do you stretch that much prior to squats?
    I would assume that is over all stretching.

-=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=Zeus=-! has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bar x 10

40% max x 5

50% max x 5

60% max x 3

Working sets

stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stanzione1017 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Im currently in a 2 year class getting my AAI personal training cert, we learned NOT to stretch pre workout, only post workout.

However, before squats you want alot of blood in your legs because as you can imagine they will have alot of pressure on them, between moving some seriouse weight and getting blood in the muscle at the same time that could be messy..

Eigther do some realy realy light squats just to get a pump going, or i prefer to hop on the leg extension machine a couple sets not to failure, and then some hamstring curls.

Hope this helped!
    Teen until October 17, 2011.
    Offseason weight: 245
    Stage weight: 205
    Height: 5'11

Tell me i cant do it, and il prove you wrong.

Registered User aempowerlifting's Avatar
    aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by The_Terrorist View Post
    Jogging = bad

Stretching = weaker

Technically stretching does make you weaker, however stretching also decreased your risk of injury which allows you to have a greater time-span of lifting without injury, leading to increased strength.

If your not using your hamstrings in a squat then you are doing it completely wrong. The main movers of your squat should be the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back. If your using your quads to flex the weight up your doing it wrong. You should be driving your butt through the squat, thrusting your hips.