yeayead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

can I get a 6 pack with just bicycle crunches?

I think I have a low enough body fat. I'm 5'5' and weigh 128 pounds.

I recently started doing bicycle crunches about 3 sets of 30 one two one one two two count

I saw results after only a couple of weeks. I now have almost no bulge and my stomach is flat (except my diaphragm muscle)

So I was wondering if I continue this routine of doing as many bicycle crunches as possible every other day could I get a six pack? or do I have to add some kind of weight training to bulk up the abs?

I don't want super abs or anything I just want them to show a good bit.

thanks for reading.

Also I do push ups and I'm looking to build my pecks and shoulder width a bit, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting wieghts soon for that. could I get some advise on what exercises to do? I've heard if you can do more than 10 reps you're not using enough weight to add bulk is this true? Should i get an inclined or flat bench? whats the bext exersize to build shoulder width and shoulders in genral, and pecs?
    Last edited by yeayead; 02-25-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Registered User MuscleBoundMisc's Avatar
    MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yeayead View Post
    I think I have a low enough body fat. I'm 5'5' and weigh 128 pounds.
    Dude no offence , your 128lbs, go on a bulk mate.

For a plan follow this.
    http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch...ainer-overview

jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnyh260490 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If your bodyfat is above around 10% for most people then you wont have defined abs.
    doing bigger compound movements like squats, deadlifts, presses and rows will help you burn fat as they use a lot more energy than working your abs.

there is no such thing as "spot reducing" ie if you do crunches fat isnt magically just going to dissappear off your stomach.

doing those compound movements together will work your whole body, including your abs, whilst helping you bulk up a bit and burn fat.
    winners never quit, quitters never win.

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To answer the question, yes just bicycle crunches can work. But, getting defined abs isn't about what ab exercises you're doing, it's what you're eating.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to have abs to be able to show them off son. Small abs are for girls. Get some big bulky ass abs so they show even when you are not lean.

MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleBoundMisc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    You need to have abs to be able to show them off son. Small abs are for girls. Get some big bulky ass abs so they show even when you are not lean.
    How did you manage to do that mate, they are quite thick in your avi.
    Did you do High weight low reps, how many times a week?
    Ab workout plan?

Cheers
    This will help OP and me

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleBoundMisc View Post
    How did you manage to do that mate, they are quite thick in your avi.
    Did you do High weight low reps, how many times a week?
    Ab workout plan?

Cheers
    This will help OP and me
    I used to do a lot of abs during my running days, like 8 minute abs and similar stuff. A lot of my workouts were from Rosstraining.com at the time. That was when my waist was about 27-28". They were shredded but tiny. I think high rep ab work is pretty important for endurance based activities like running.

Then I did a lot of standing wheel roll-outs, dragonflags, scissor sit-ups, Janda sit-ups, etc during my "functional" training phase. A lot of stuff you can find on DragonDoor.com. Obviously squatting/deadlifting a lot will thicken you up as well.

I don't do much ab work now besides the occasional decline sit-up, just because I really don't see the point. I could still crank out wheel roll-outs and dragonflags if I wanted to, so the strength is still there and that's all that matters to me.
    Last edited by BombDonald; 02-25-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    I used to do a lot of abs during my running days, like 8 minute abs and similar stuff. A lot of my workouts were from Rosstraining.com at the time. That was when my waist was about 27-28". They were shredded but tiny. I think high rep ab work is pretty important for endurance based activities like running.

Then I did a lot of standing wheel roll-outs, dragonflags, jack knife sit-ups, Janda sit-ups, etc during my "functional" training phase. A lot of stuff you can find on DragonDoor.com. Obviously squatting/deadlifting a lot will thicken you up as well.

I don't do much ab work now besides the occasional decline sit-up, just because I really don't see the point. I could still crank out wheel roll-outs and dragonflags if I wanted to, so the strength is still there and that's all that matters to me.

Thanks dude at least now I have some idea !

Wow so you got abs like that just doing body resistance and ab wheels? So they will bulk up an not just get stronger I guess.

cool.

double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50) double gonad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want big abs, you've got to work them with weight. In addition to heavy compound movements I do weighted sit-up's on a slant board (weight behind my head and hanging leg raises with a dumbell between my feet.

I'm no where near 10% bf right now but I still have pretty well defined abs, especially when I flex them.

Heavy weight, low reps = big abs.
    Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. [Bleep] chickens.

http://www.startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showpost.php?p=54805&postcount=16

Originally Posted by yeayead View Post
    Wow so you got abs like that just doing body resistance and ab wheels? So they will bulk up an not just get stronger I guess.

cool.
    Pretty much.

I am fat now though. If I lost about 10 lbs my abs would be much better. It is nice being able to show abs at 10< BF% though.

Considering I want to hit 205-210, my abs won't be back for quite some time.

Originally Posted by double gonad View Post
    If you want big abs, you've got to work them with weight. In addition to heavy compound movements I do weighted sit-up's on a slant board (weight behind my head and hanging leg raises with a dumbell between my feet.

I'm no where near 10% bf right now but I still have pretty well defined abs, especially when I flex them.

Heavy weight, low reps = big abs.
    how many reps should I do? I assume I should go till failure? so how many reps? I just hold a wieght with my arms streched over my head on an inclined bench like I can get from walmart online
    \
    I really don't give a crap about actual strength or endurance, I just want bigger muscles as fast and easy as possible.

usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    to answer your question.

getting abs- low bodyfat % eat clean, do the compound lifts, deads squat bench press etc.
    those are the most important things to me but also cardio/ab specific training will help.

IMO

if your that skinny, you need to get on a strength training program, and eat to gains some weight, once you weigh more worry about your abs.
    "Live and Fly Standards High Delta Chi Till I Die"

"Your not alive unless your living."

"When you want to succeed as bad you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

"The Whole ****ing Nine Yards!"

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

Question

I've been doing what I said and I've seen some results, but I'm lazy and want to look good as fast as possible. It seems weights build muscle (hytrophy) much faster than body resistance ever will.

Problem is I'm a bit strapped for cash, I figure I could get some cheap dumbells for the time being and do dumbell bench presses (without a bench)

and I could hold the weights up and do bicycle crunches also

Does this sound like a plan? at least until l I can afford an actual barbell.

problem is I don't know how much weight to get, and there are few things around my house I could lift to figure that out.

I can do 33 pushups on my first set and around 35 (maybe a bit more but it always burns to much to go to failure) one-two count bicycle crunches.

What do you guys think would be a good weight? Thanks a ton for any replies I get I really appreciate it. You've all been a big help so far.