ketoholic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much calories to eat on keto

Hi,

I've just started keto two days ago and so far I love it. I never knew mayo and bacons tasted so good. I used to be on 40/40/20 diet and although I did lose quite a bit of weight on that diet, I often felt hungry and deprived and just one cookie led to many binges and the weight all came back. So here I am, giving keto a shot.
    I did quite a bit of research on keto before I started (in the past, I could not convince myself of eating so many "unhealthy" foods such as all that cheese and greasy meats), but still got some questions. Hope someone can answer them?
    I know that on keto, you still have to have a deficit to cause weight loss. I saw this calculation on other keto forum and want to make sure it's quite accurate.
    You get your bmr by multiplying body weight in pounds by 12
    and then from that you either eat bmr minus 5-10%xbmr on workout days and bmr minus 15-20% on non-training days.
    According to that, since my weight is 130 (at 5'2''), I should be roughly eating 1482 and 1351 on off days. This seems like too little especially considering that 1g fat is 9 calories. I don't care much about the numbers on the scale but I really want to fit into my old clothes again. I used to be 115lbs a few months ago, and I heard that with keto you can expect to lose more body fat than body fat + muscle combination like on other diets.
    Also, it seems like a lot of you take in a lot of tuna and whey on keto but that also seems like a lot of protein and does keto still work if your fat ratio goes below 60%?
    And how long should I go without doing carb-up? Personally, I really like the food (I think being a beginner makes everything taste so good and I'd much rather have bacons than brown rice) and I think I can go without carb-up for more than 2 weeks.
    Oh and I lift 4 times a week (split b/w upper and lower body) and do HIIT type cardio twice (on the weekends) a week.
    Thanks so much and happy Valentine's day everyone!

rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ketoholic View Post
    Hi,

I've just started keto two days ago and so far I love it. I never knew mayo and bacons tasted so good. I used to be on 40/40/20 diet and although I did lose quite a bit of weight on that diet, I often felt hungry and deprived and just one cookie led to many binges and the weight all came back. So here I am, giving keto a shot.
    I did quite a bit of research on keto before I started (in the past, I could not convince myself of eating so many "unhealthy" foods such as all that cheese and greasy meats), but still got some questions. Hope someone can answer them?
    I know that on keto, you still have to have a deficit to cause weight loss. I saw this calculation on other keto forum and want to make sure it's quite accurate.
    You get your bmr by multiplying body weight in pounds by 12
    and then from that you either eat bmr minus 5-10%xbmr on workout days and bmr minus 15-20% on non-training days.
    According to that, since my weight is 130 (at 5'2''), I should be roughly eating 1482 and 1351 on off days. This seems like too little especially considering that 1g fat is 9 calories. I don't care much about the numbers on the scale but I really want to fit into my old clothes again. I used to be 115lbs a few months ago, and I heard that with keto you can expect to lose more body fat than body fat + muscle combination like on other diets.
    Also, it seems like a lot of you take in a lot of tuna and whey on keto but that also seems like a lot of protein and does keto still work if your fat ratio goes below 60%?
    And how long should I go without doing carb-up? Personally, I really like the food (I think being a beginner makes everything taste so good and I'd much rather have bacons than brown rice) and I think I can go without carb-up for more than 2 weeks.
    Oh and I lift 4 times a week (split b/w upper and lower body) and do HIIT type cardio twice (on the weekends) a week.
    Thanks so much and happy Valentine's day everyone!
    If you have excel, use the keto calculator thats in a thread at the top. It will tell you exactly what you need calorie wise.

Carb up, most ppl wait 2 weeks, if you can go longer then do it. You'll be able to tell by how you feel in the gym. You'll get to a point if your working out hard enough that in the gym you'll feel like crap and tired. That's when you need a carb up. If you're doing 4 lifts a week and hitt cardio twice then after 2 weeks of that and no carbs you'll be due for a carb up.

rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rcb0424 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rcb0424 View Post
    If you have excel, use the keto calculator thats in a thread at the top. It will tell you exactly what you need calorie wise.

Carb up, most ppl wait 2 weeks, if you can go longer then do it. You'll be able to tell by how you feel in the gym. You'll get to a point if your working out hard enough that in the gym you'll feel like crap and tired. That's when you need a carb up. If you're doing 4 lifts a week and hitt cardio twice then after 2 weeks of that and no carbs you'll be due for a carb up.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=784518

thats the thread with the calculator. First post in the thread has the file attached. Enter the simple numbers and it will give you what you need. read through the thread if you have any questions.