Fedora has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does running build muscle mass?

Let's say you run a lot. Will that build more muscle mass? Or just less body fat? Because, you use your muscles when you run, but like, you don't use them (as in, ripping them so they'll grow).

But it will define your muscles more, right?

xdexterdaix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sprinting builds a bit of muscle mass. long distance running gets u pretty much nothing unlesss u are cutting and want to tone

jabroni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jabroni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Fedora, as far as you question will running gain more muscle mass. I would have to say probably not, one my good friends in a soccer player and all he does is run. He is in reall good cardiovascular shape, his legs are really well developed and defined (calves) due to all the running. But no i dont think you would be able to gain the mass that you want just by running imo.

Fedora has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, thanks. 'Cause once I was talking to my friend after track practice:

Me: You going to weight room later?
    Him: No dude I just ran it works out my legs what's the point?
    Me: Oh

fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fupafighter2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    running doesnt build mass at all. **** in the past 3 mo i wanted 2 actaully make my legs smaller 2 make my calves look bigger and i dropped the 1.5 in, by runnning and hlf ass inconsistent training

KingsRevenge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i've been running for 4 years running may help with mass some i'm not sure but i do know that sprinting is prolly whats got me lookin cut
    http://www.instinctz.net/kingsrevenge

Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Softmuscled is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do alot of track.. i mean ALOT and my legs only got bigger from squats so... running does **** for muscle mass

nateakabear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by KingsRevenge
    i've been running for 4 years running may help with mass some i'm not sure but i do know that sprinting is prolly whats got me lookin cut
    It won't help build mass. It will get you toned up and in good shape for a sport but it won't put on any mass and it may even make you weaker.

aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10) aheineken is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To answer the question all you have to do is look at an Olympic sprinter, like Michael Johnson, and then look at a distance runner.

Johnson's legs are huge and cut up, and he's got a pretty muscular upper body. Distance runners are mostly all under 150lbs, and scrawny as hell. Sprinting will help with muscle development in the legs, not as much as squats. And distance running actually makes you lose muscle. When running distance the body burns up all the readily available carbs and then begins breaking down protein for energy, so the protein cannot be used to build muscle.

Jigen2k12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree with other people here. Running long distance will not build you mass only make your legs look rip but small. Sprinting is a good exercise for speed. I do little run 1-2 miles 1-3 times a week just light run. But the main thing to really build mass is to do strength training.

NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NotAPro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jigen2k12 View Post
    i agree with other people here. Running long distance will not build you mass only make your legs look rip but small. Sprinting is a good exercise for speed. I do little run 1-2 miles 1-3 times a week just light run. But the main thing to really build mass is to do strength training.
    Nice to revive an 11 year old thread mate. This guy has probably had children by now and long quit running or any type of exercise and leads a sedentary life now. I bet on it.

SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000) SchofieldK is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Op don't listen to these people im about to be a college xc runner next year and im running a **** ton. Running gives you lean muscle not mass. If you run enough your legs will be toned af with striations and you.ll have a nice core because running a ton of miles requires a strong core. Running builds lean cut muscle but you will not gain mass

gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gymhbu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    Okay, thanks. 'Cause once I was talking to my friend after track practice:

Me: You going to weight room later?
    Him: No dude I just ran it works out my legs what's the point?
    Me: Oh
    I mean that makes sense. Have you ever tried squatting after heavy sprints? It makes my reps go down dramatically. On a weight I usually get maybe 12 times I will only get like 7 or so. Wears you out.
    Model/Influencer
    DM me for work

vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vdubryan11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    HIIT cardio builds muscle.

sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000) sgttom is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some type of cardio can build muscle, though its a very inefficient way to go about it.

Keep in mind Olympic sprinters do weight training.
    yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 480 x1
    Back Squat: 450 x1
    Bench: 240 x1

rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rackcurler17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Running alone builds loads of muscle. Duh

look at those ceps

EDIT: just realized this thread is from 2003. what the hell

Man Handles of Peace Bechsgaard's Avatar
    Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bechsgaard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice 11 year old thread bump ppl
    Originally Posted by SchofieldK View Post
    Op don't listen to these people im about to be a college xc runner next year and im running a **** ton. Running gives you lean muscle not mass. If you run enough your legs will be toned af with striations and you.ll have a nice core because running a ton of miles requires a strong core. Running builds lean cut muscle but you will not gain mass
    The bro science in this pains me... Running will not build much muscle beyond whats nessesary to move you it will increase muscular endurance by optimizing blood flow to the muscle fibres. There's no difference between lean cut muscle and mass, ppl with mass just eat more than their body needs to do the required workload so it builds muscle and the fat that comes alone with it. Your an anorexic looking child and the only muscle you have is the muscle required for you to move without ****ing falling over after a km. in ither words kid, on all the threads I've seen you comment, you are using your running as an excuse, that's bs, your not gonna make anything past nub gains cause you don't eat above maintenance.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weren't you also the guy that wanted to bulk on 2000 calories? Running doesn't "give you lean muscle".

Originally Posted by vdubryan11 View Post
    HIIT cardio builds muscle.
    Please elaborate.

Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000) Drewcifer69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wait - so...

Running won't build mass, but it will build lean mass. So in other words if I run I won't get bigger, I'll just get bigger? Fuar broscience

Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Jigen2k12 View Post

Running doesn't add muscle mass then? So how come my neighbour started running a year ago, mixing runs, sprints and hill running and his legs are noticeably bigger as well as being defined. He's in his late 30's and never run before. Don't listen to the masses or else you'll just sit on your ass believing the garbage on the internet.

TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TylerA120 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dare81 View Post
    Running doesn't add muscle mass then? So how come my neighbour started running a year ago, mixing runs, sprints and hill running and his legs are noticeably bigger as well as being defined. He's in his late 30's and never run before. Don't listen to the masses or else you'll just sit on your ass believing the garbage on the internet.
    Got damn it son first an 11 year old thread bump then a 10 month bump. Let this fukin thing die
    You can't look the same as someone else, but you can be the best of yourself.
    Frank Zane

Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100) Dare81 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Bechsgaard View Post
    Nice 11 year old thread bump ppl

The bro science in this pains me... Running will not build much muscle beyond whats nessesary to move you it will increase muscular endurance by optimizing blood flow to the muscle fibres. There's no difference between lean cut muscle and mass, ppl with mass just eat more than their body needs to do the required workload so it builds muscle and the fat that comes alone with it. Your an anorexic looking child and the only muscle you have is the muscle required for you to move without ****ing falling over after a km. in ither words kid, on all the threads I've seen you comment, you are using your running as an excuse, that's bs, your not gonna make anything past nub gains cause you don't eat above maintenance.
    Where's your brain? Stuffed up your ass?

orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) orion792 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aheineken View Post
    To answer the question all you have to do is look at an Olympic sprinter, like Michael Johnson, and then look at a distance runner.

Johnson's legs are huge and cut up, and he's got a pretty muscular upper body. Distance runners are mostly all under 150lbs, and scrawny as hell. Sprinting will help with muscle development in the legs, not as much as squats. And distance running actually makes you lose muscle. When running distance the body burns up all the readily available carbs and then begins breaking down protein for energy, so the protein cannot be used to build muscle.
    good thing this post is from 2003,lol. running won't burn any muscle unless you're running for 15 hours straight after fasting for a week.

iCanWeldThat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't see how it would build muscle mass. You are burning a lot of calories and fat. I'm sure you will notice your calves and legs getting definition.
    Proud WV Welder and Machinist!

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by iCanWeldThat View Post
    I don't see how it would build muscle mass. You are burning a lot of calories and fat. I'm sure you will notice your calves and legs getting definition.

cinoeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Running in addition to lifting does promote muscle growth.

CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CarlaMendez has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It has been proven by research that running in addition to lifting can improve muscle growth, in fact long distance running boosts your GH. I loled when I saw pictures of marathon runners and people saying "look at the pecks". People, come on! You know of course that marathon runners need to lighter thats why they dont do lifting. it's as simple as that. But if you can add that to your training well that will be a different story, no?