lhoang09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhoang09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhoang09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhoang09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhoang09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vegetable shakes

I just blended myself a vegetable shake which consisted of...

1/3 cup of milk
    1/4 cup of vegetable juice
    2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach

what i'm wondering is whether or not BLENDING THE VEGETABLES will make it lose its nutritional value. this is a question for the experts with real knowledge on this stuff. so will it? i'm planning to drink these more often when i go to costco and buy the HUGE bag of spinach so i can get my daily nutritional value in.

Thanks

Registered User BeerMakesMuscle's Avatar
    BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeerMakesMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no blending will not hinder nutritional values, i do the same from time to time

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First, o_O @ milk in vegetable juice.

But second, unless you heat it first, you will not lose any nutritional value by just blending it. Unless your blender generates a large amount of heat, the heat from the blades is not enough to cook out anything good. The fact that you would be using cold milk also helps deter this.

Some blended veggie drinks involve cooking certain parts of the food for a smoother texture, but that gets rid of some of the goodness that whole veggies give you.

Also, you might want to add in some extra parsley, it is an excellent diuretic.

Also, if you have irregularity problems, you can always add high fiber veggies into it also, or maybe fiber powder.

Personally, the only non-whole food I buy is canned tomato for the sake of time.
    Last edited by BookMonkey; 08-10-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lowry32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing nutrients from blending?

The blades will not do damage on the molecular level and will therefore not change the nutritional make-up of whatever you are blending.

Heating reduces nutritional value because the heat will degrade (destroy) the nutrients to the point that they are no longer useful for the body. But you don't have to worry about that happening from a blender.

Enjoy that crazy/healthy shake.

JracerX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lhoang09 View Post
    I just blended myself a vegetable shake which consisted of...

1/3 cup of milk
    1/4 cup of vegetable juice
    2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach

what i'm wondering is whether or not BLENDING THE VEGETABLES will make it lose its nutritional value. this is a question for the experts with real knowledge on this stuff. so will it? i'm planning to drink these more often when i go to costco and buy the HUGE bag of spinach so i can get my daily nutritional value in.

Thanks
    Why the veggy juice?