abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thirst and overnight peeing = need to carb-load?

Hey All,

Enjoying (as much as reasonable) the last few weeks doing a PSMF. I just had a quick question and wanted to get some anecdotes from more experienced ketoers. Last carb-load I noticed that I started waking up really thirsty and peeing a lot overnight. I assumed electrolyte imbalance and consumed more salt the next day (-1 from carb load) but it didn't help. The night before the carb-load (i.e., like 20 hrs before) I woke up probably three or four times to pee, and I was thirsty each time... like dry-mouth dehydrated kind of thirsty.

Well... I'm about to start my third carb-load tomorrow night. Last night/this morning I woke up once in the night to pee, and I was more thirsty than normal when I woke up. I'm also more thirsty just sitting here right now, and I'm guessing that I'm going to be waking up to pee tonight. I'm not having any other problems sleeping (i've heard of melatonin issues), I fall/stay asleep just fine other than peeing. I also pretty much never get up to pee during the beginning of the keto cycle or for any more "balanced" diet.

Anyone else have experience with this and/or know what's causing it? My best guess is that I'm depleting muscle glycogen prematurely and my body has less stores for water, but I just find it kind of strange. I tried to search, but just got a bunch of threads about dry carb-ups and potassium loading for contests.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beatletown is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've noticed this too. I normally have to get up at least twice to pee and wake up sporting a massive flagpole. I just assumed it was because I suck on a water bottle all day 3- 4 lts usually.

nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Beatletown View Post
    I've noticed this too. I normally have to get up at least twice to pee and wake up sporting a massive flagpole. I just assumed it was because I suck on a water bottle all day 3- 4 lts usually.
    First off lol on your description... And I as well have to wake up and pee at least once a night but I have to say its because I drink more than a gal of water a day. I pee clear most of the time and during the day almost every 20-30 minutes so I'm amazed I can make it as long as I do at night. And my mouth is always dry and nasty at night just thought this was a side effect of keto
    No Grain...No Pain... Gluten free since 2007

mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3 to 4 times? Try 6 to 7 for me one night lol. Im guessing its because i drink 2 to 3 gals of water a day

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mh22 View Post
    3 to 4 times? Try 6 to 7 for me one night lol. Im guessing its because i drink 2 to 3 gals of water a day
    Last time it was like 3x the first night and 6x the second night... but for me it's only happened right near the scheduled carb-loads. I specifically stop drinking as much water before bed to avoid peeing for that reason. This is different than just drinking too much beforehand.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JTA762 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's normal, accept it. Keep a nalgene bottle of water and take it with you to drink while you pee. Sometimes if I didn't, I'd get headaches when I woke up in the morning (from dehydration).
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general - Mark Rippetoe

GOAL:

For my job working with the USFS in Montana I must: be able to carry felled trees, lift boulders, ruck 70# puncheon planks, haul tools over 10 miles along with personal gear, and beat down the camp-invading brown bear. Kidding!

But I do want to be able to run full speed while chasing a bear with a can of pepper spray, screaming obscenities with a hand-rolled cigarette in my mouth.