Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Developing lower tricep Mass

I was just looking for some exercises that would really put on mass on my lower tricep area near the elbow. My upper tricep is so much bigger it just looks like theres a bump halfway up my arm till my shoulder but flatness from the elbow to midway point. I would really appreciate any advice to help fill out my whole tricep, thank you very much

disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) disconnect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cosigned. I could use some help with this too..

sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sennas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    weighted dips, skull crushers, standard.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not possible. The triceps does two things: elbow extension (main function) and a degree of arm adduction, through its origin on the scapula. Elbow extensions will work 2 of the 3 parts of the muscle, and there is no way to target different segments of these parts.

zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) zspturbo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK I dont know the science behind it, but there is this old russian guy who goes to my gym, and he does this really weird tricep lift and he has a HUGE bump on his lower outer tricep area... you know how on most people it looks like a spike pointing towards the elbow? well on him it looks like a roll of quarters or something.

Anyways what he does is, he'll put his left foot up on a bench to his left side, and lean forward so his shoulders are parallel with his knee. Then he grabs a dumbbell with his left hand, and puts his arm over his thigh, so that its hanging down at about a 30 degree angle... then instead of just extending his arm, he rotates it and straightens it at the same time.
    I really don't get it at all, he does alot of other weird lifts too. When I asked him what muscle that worked he said "ze treeceps." and that was that.
    Guess what?!?!?!?! Being HYOOGE isn't that great! Most girls think it's gross, and most normal guys think it's overcompensating for something... But you go ahead and keep on bulking at 15% bodyfat, keep rowing untill your lats are so big you can't sit in a regular car seat, keep shrugging untill you don't have a neck anymore, have fun with it if you really enjoy it... But don't criticize and berate me because I lift for different reasons than you.

BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'd go with dips or even bench dips
    Overrating the Underrated
    49ers/Lakers/USC/Dodgers/Kings
    ✰ OFFICIAL MISC RUNNING CREW ✰

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Not possible. The triceps does two things: elbow extension (main function) and a degree of arm adduction, through its origin on the scapula. Elbow extensions will work 2 of the 3 parts of the muscle, and there is no way to target different segments of these parts.

coolness. Now i know the three heads

So basically all ya can do is develop the triceps bigger. Skullcrushers, Dips, kickbacks(that's right...you read correctly )

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You CAN target different parts of the tri, not just the three different muscles but also different parts of them. The best way to build the lower part of the triceps is by doing exercises that use continuous tension throughout the range of movement (cable with rope for example), or require max effort at the start of the ROM instead of at the peak contraction (arm angled such that beginning the ROM is the most vertical lift part of the movement), or by doing partial ROM's.
    Time To Re-Schedule

BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    You CAN target different parts of the tri, not just the three different muscles but also different parts of them. The best way to build the lower part of the triceps is by doing exercises that use continuous tension throughout the range of movement (cable with rope for example), or require max effort at the start of the ROM instead of at the peak contraction (arm angled such that beginning the ROM is the most vertical lift part of the movement), or by doing partial ROM's.
    so maybe something similar to overhead extensions with an ez curl bar, I've been trying those out and I can feel it more in my lower tricep where skull chrushers I seem to hit more of the upper tri, but are their better exercises/form to target and build the lower area?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    great post

I like rope extensions (pushing down + outward)

Feel is especially important when trying to emphasize different parts of a muscle.
    Who was this love of yours?

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess I dont understand the physiological basis of this. How can you target different longitudinal segments of a muscle? Do different segments of the muscle respond differently to load, or contract differently through the ROM?

bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bobmuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    try reverse grip pressdowns with a handle

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigDubDieseI View Post
    I was just looking for some exercises that would really put on mass on my lower tricep area near the elbow. My upper tricep is so much bigger it just looks like theres a bump halfway up my arm till my shoulder but flatness from the elbow to midway point. I would really appreciate any advice to help fill out my whole tricep, thank you very much
    You may just have short triceps. If there is NO muscle there, there is nothing you can do.

But to train lower triceps:

Dips (using full range of motion)
    Bench Dips
    1 arm tricep extensions
    2 arm tricep extensions (above head)
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Not true. Because of compartmentalization, and myosin/actin overlap positioning.

Yes, the triceps does what is described, but the chart doesn't say "the entire triceps is involved in all movement equally"

Muscle fibers do not run the entire length of a muscle.

http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/38/4/729.pdf
    neuro-muscular architecture

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/99/3/1149
    triceps surae

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=5334372
    biceps

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
    partitioning

http://www.t-nation.com/portal_inclu...-training.html
    excellent article by Christian Thibaudeau

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...ebuilding2.htm evidence for shape training

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/anatomy/allornone.htm
    compartmentalization

http://www.gravitycheck.com/TrainPro...detoorder.html

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/sculpting.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...icepsblitz.htm

From "Science and Practice of Strength Training" Zatsiorsky pg 78

The recruitment order of MUs is relatively fixed for a muscle involved in a specific motion, even i the movement velocity or rate of force development alters. However, the recruitment order can be changed if the multifunction muscle operates in different motions. Different sets of MUs within one muscle might have a low threshold for one motion and a high threshold for another.

This variation in recruitment order is partially responsible for the specificity of training effect in heavy resistance exercise. If the objective in training is the full development of a muscle, one must exercise this muscle in all possible ranges of motion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation
    lats

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459686
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/sculpting.htm Shape training

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=449729 lats

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...elbowpart2.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=abstract

Jaci VanHeest, World reknown Exercise Physiologist, US Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs Colorado:

"Muscles contract when tiny levers on myosin, a muscle protein, fit into grooves on actin, another protein, and push it forward exactly like a ratchet wrench. But myosin can latch onto actin in any of several positions, not all of them ideal. Only when the myosin heads are in the right register can the muscle have the optimal tension. But optimizing every actin-myosin pairing is less an achievable goal than a Platonic idea.

Essentially, that means almost every exercise optimizes a different configuration of actin-myosin pairings. While there's some overlap, you have to exercise a muscle in a number of positions to optimize as many of the actin-myosin pairings as possible
    Last edited by Defiant1; 04-13-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000) Decapolis is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Dips and CGBP. Get that muscle-mind thing going and concentrate on squeezing that area of the tri. Works wonders.
    "Never let weakness convince you that you lack strength" -

boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) boosteddatsun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lying tricep extensions with a curl bar, your head hanging off the end.

Once I started doing these my triceps seemed to grow insanely--my tricep workout is currently

3 sets lying tricep extensions (last 2 sets I immediately move to a close grip while still lying down and do close grip "benches" to burn them out, the pump I get is amazing)
    2 sets cable rope pushdowns (flare them out at the end seems to hit a different part)
    2 sets straight bar cable pushdowns (i can use more weight on this than the ropes)

This seems to really blast them. No matter what my routine for triceps is, it always involves lying tricep extensions. I can get way more weight going and it's been cutting a really good deep "V" into my arm.

Good post, Defiant1

Good post, Defiant1
    I figured you'd like it.

It comes up so much, that I keep it around.

If you really want to read about, check out "Antonio 2000-regional hypertrophy in bodybuilders". That is about the most specific of the studies.

It is avail. for purchase online.

Something though to consider-this is one of those things that even if EVERY scientist said it was impossible, I would know it was true from experience.

A few years ago contiguous innervation in humans was the basic belief. Which would jibe with what you initially stated.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Elbow's-out movements have with out a doubt nailed the head of the tri that stretches down to the elbow for me.

Tate presses
    Elbows-out extension on an incline to chest.

I incorporate pauses at the chest.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    You may just have short triceps. If there is NO muscle there, there is nothing you can do.

But to train lower triceps:

Dips (using full range of motion)
    Bench Dips
    1 arm tricep extensions
    2 arm tricep extensions (above head)
    this might be a stupid question but you got me paranoid, how can I evalutate if I have a short tricep or I am just underworking a head in my routine?

Originally Posted by BigDubDieseI View Post
    this might be a stupid question but you got me paranoid, how can I evalutate if I have a short tricep or I am just underworking a head in my routine?
    If you flex and there is NO muscle there, you probably just have a short tricep, like some people have short biceps (gap).
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

If you flex and there is NO muscle there, you probably just have a short tricep, like some people have short biceps (gap).
    Thanks, I flexed, there is muscle there so either there is just not as much or I gotta switch up the routine and try to hit that area harder to bring it out. It just seems my upper arm is so much larger than my lower arm by the joint

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't care what anyone says, for the lower triceps near the elbow do cable pushdowns without moving your elbows and keep them in. I did only this movement mainly when I first took up training. And now I still to this day just have slabs that actually look like they are just big chunks of meat, no one else in the gym has triceps that look as good as mine in the lower tricep area.

Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Voltron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

asdf

Originally Posted by bobmuscle View Post
    try reverse grip pressdowns with a handle
    2x

Also, even though this is a huge no-no, locking out the arm will put added tension on that head of the tricep. Only do this with a weight you know you can handle no matter what and flexing hard when locked out. Just be careful.

bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bicepguy3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    incline skullcrushers with a big stretch really brought out the lower part of my long head.

swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) swaptrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    close grip bench works well for me. my triceps respond well to high rep(12-15)

mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mike8190 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ****, now Im worried as hell that I have a short head. My arms seem to be developing find, except inside by the elbow, where my ****ing bone shows. Damn it.

so I guess I just need to develop mass in my medial head, any advice on good exercises for this? I heard rope push downs and overhead extensions with an ezcurl bar are pretty good

john2find has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mike8190 View Post
    ****, now Im worried as hell that I have a short head. My arms seem to be developing find, except inside by the elbow, where my ****ing bone shows. Damn it.
    Relax. Its all rubbish who says one cannot develop a particular muscle as it is all about genetics, when indeed Bodybuilding is all done to develop muscles.

Unless and until one is handicapped, that is he do not have lower tricep muscles at all (which is a chances in millions), most of the guys here should have that muscles as all of them must be normal.

Muscle simulation/ metabolism is indeed is different for each of us. Same exercise may give considerable strain to me and not you and vice versa.

People who want to develop, lower tricep and normal exercises do not put strain in lower triceps , they in need to change their hand angles, bench inclines and exercise style which strain your lower triceps the most rather than focus on any other part.

I use skull crusher with my arms almost in parallel with my ribs. That give strain over on my lower tricep an dtheir may be chances this may not work for you.

Growth was slower at beginning as that muscles is such grouped inside in many of us that it do not receive the necessary strain, indeed our upper tricpes take all the loads and as a result they buldge out.

Try variation and develop your own exercise which gives maximum strain on that particular muscle.

wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wezer1871 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you look at the bottom back half of my right arm you will see that it dips in so i looked for the same answer you are. Turns out doing close grip bench press, dips and i think they are called pushdowns or pulldowns. Will work all 3 heads the medial head, the long head and the lateral head