Closed Thread
    Misery Messiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Increasing Wrist Size

Hey,

I was just curious, with the exclusion of wrist rollers (my gym doesin't have them,) what are some good exercises for increasing wrist size? I'm not that big of a guy, I just got over my inital "do everything wrong" phase, so I want to make some informed choices. That, and lifting 40lbs dumbbells with 12" arms and 5" wrists looks ridiculous.
    "This time, no retreat, no surrender."

LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You cant reall increase wrist size. There are forearm excersizes, but its always gonna be about your bone size when it comes to the actual wrist.

writes scary stories I_love_crows's Avatar
    I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000) I_love_crows is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Misery Messiah View Post
    Hey,

I was just curious, with the exclusion of wrist rollers (my gym doesin't have them,) what are some good exercises for increasing wrist size? I'm not that big of a guy, I just got over my inital "do everything wrong" phase, so I want to make some informed choices. That, and lifting 40lbs dumbbells with 12" arms and 5" wrists looks ridiculous.

Not much you can do to increase the size of your wrist unfortunately... Genetics play a mojor role in determining how large or small your wrists will be.

I have small wrists as well, but that did not stop me from developing the rest of my arms through hard work. Focus on everything else that CAN be changed (i.e. forearms, biceps and triceps) and before you know it, your wrists will be the least of your worries...
    OUTLAW split:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1830521

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MikeyTheCrow

mac1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You have basically the same thought pattern i was/am on. I say was because at one time I wondered if there was a way to increase the size, and "am" because now i know there really isn't. The wrist is basically nothing but bone, with a few ligaments passing over it, the forearm muscles don't actually "start" til a little ways past the wrist. Those muscles are basically like, cables, but by increasing their size (in the upper forearm) it increases what i guess you could call the "apparent angle" between the top of the wrist and top of the forearm (laid flat, palm down). Being there's really no muscle where the wrist flexes there's just no way to increase size, so you're stuck with what your momma gave you, but the muscles start generally just past the "spurs" of your wrist. The knots where wrist meets hand. By increaseing forearm size though, you would probably feel more comfortable with your lower-arms.

My last foreman was fat but the guy obviously did some forearm work because they were just massive, to the point it looked, well you've all seen a fat guy with muscled forearms before i'm sure.

Misery Messiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright, thanks for the info guys ... appreciate it.
    "This time, no retreat, no surrender."

Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mature Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Wrist size will only increase minimal even with a overall weight gain of lets say 20lbs of muscle over a training period of five years. Twenty pounds of muscle gain however will not appear by itself as you will have to squat and deadlift with great effiecientcy.ML

simbryo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Small wrists will make a big bicep:wrist and forearm:wrist ratio. Always look on the bright side of life.

QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QoorbaL has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    deadlifts blew my forearms the **** up

TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheLime is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bone density and bone size can increase from lifting. That's why old folks are supposed to lift weights. When I started lifting I could encircle my wrist with my thumb and and middle finger. Now they come more than an inch from touching.
    PRs:
    Incline db presses (fav lift :D ): 150s x 11, 130s x 18
    Deadlift: 425 (that SUCKS but getting better)
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 315 (still learning it)

Overcoming Stage 4 Lymphoma
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9697585#post9697585

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

USAF BB, One of the few. J_White1's Avatar
    J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_White1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Good god, thats some crazy stuff. I don't think I could manage the 2x sledge over face one.... Cool link.

rocksnhills has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can incresae wrist size

Do push ups such a way that

Make a tight fist and place the first two knuckles into the floor.

one who has wrist joint pains also can do this push ups easily.

Surely it helps.
    Last edited by rocksnhills; 05-15-2008 at 08:51 PM.

MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50) MondoMarcus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why would you want big wrists? Smaller wrists and a sort of ecto bone structure can make muscles look that much more dramatic!

Just my two cents.
    Curls are for girls!!!

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Actually i used to use my writ measurement to see if i was getting bigger or smaller and I still do it now. At my smallest my fingers would wrap around my wrist and pass over about 1/4 in, my biggest they would miss by almost an inch now they barely touch.
    So my advice is to gain mass and your body will even itself out as it sees fit.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by simbryo View Post
    Small wrists will make a big bicep:wrist and forearm:wrist ratio. Always look on the bright side of life.
    2x on that one, was just about to post the same thing. just think of small wrists as a gift to your biceps
    Wow your signature is so deep.

berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) berzerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go back in time and have your mom sleep with a thick boned dude.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Hey,

Look on the bright side, small joints might create the illusion some muscles are bigger than they really are.

In its purest form bodybuilding is all about aesthetics and creating the illusion of size. Some of the best physiques on this site don't belong to big guys. Make the most of what you've got and don't worry about genetic stuff that you can't change.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lightbulb

I was just curious, with the exclusion of wrist rollers (my gym doesin't have them,) what are some good exercises for increasing wrist size?
    Just do heavy wrist work - levering and DB wrist curls - and your wrists will slowly get thicker over time. Remember, you want STRONGER wrists and not necessarily bigger wrists. You could also try benching with a thickbar; I heard it's sheer torture to your wrists!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) snowwolf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The size of the wrist can be increased by increasing the size of your tendons. Try thick/fat bar 2", 2.5" or best 3" bar for all your upper body work like curls, rows etc, and see what happens to your forearms and wrist size. You will have to drop poundages in the beginning until your thumb is strong enough, but it's well worth it.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by snowwolf View Post
    The size of the wrist can be increased by increasing the size of your tendons. Try thick/fat bar 2", 2.5" or best 3" bar for all your upper body work like curls, rows etc, and see what happens to your forearms and wrist size. You will have to drop poundages in the beginning until your thumb is strong enough, but it's well worth it.
    Yes, exactly. Brooks Kubik talks about increasing his wrist size in the book, Dinosaur Training.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

drharis76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

increasing wrist size

You can wrist size, but it reverses on stopping the exercise. If you bear you body weight on your wrists for 5 - 10 minutes a day or on alternate days, which is going to be a very stressfull manoeuvre.
    You can try this, by going upside down on your upper limbs, and taking the support of a wall. I have small wrists, which I increased, but it all reversed when I stopped it for a week.
    This is the same logic that explains why apes have a wrist size as much as their ankles.
    Human beings developed weaker and smaller wrist as they evolved into bipeds.

But remember going upside down even for a minute can make you tired for the rest of the day, initially, untill you get used to it.

Alternative is as the other guys sugest, exercise your forearms and arms which should gradually increase in bulk and strength, and then you wouldn't feel much about wrist size.

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is just silly. If you could increase the size of your bones, it doesn't mean you will increase the odds of getting bigger. All you would be is a guy with bigger bones but smaller muscle making you look worse than before.

brb 8 inch wrists and 16inch arms ...

WTF is this ****?
    Cha Cha Cha

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the bones wont change, but the tendons (& possibly ligaments) may thicken from weight training. a few guys on this board have reported an inch or so increase, one of them is over 50 yrs old
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    weight lifting increases bone density, and drink some milk
    Eat for what you are about to do, not for what you have already done.

if i don't know how to cut ,why would i be bold enough to bulk?

'Failure' isn't a requirement for growth, but progression is.

http://www.********.com/pages/Romans-fitness/193327960714025

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by drpcnow View Post
    weight lifting increases bone density, and drink some milk
    density = weight per unit volume.
    an increase in density alone would not increase wrist size.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

fjenkins3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey,

You can increase wrist size by working the lumbricales muscles in the hand and the pronator quadratus/extensor indicis muscles in your lower forearm (you can copy these muscles into google and take a look at images, and there are lots of videos on youtube with great wrist and forearm exercises). There's only a short space of actual wrist (without any muscle), so increasing muscle size both above and below the wrist, expands the entire structure of the wrist (pushing out the tendons). In other words, you will increase the circumference of your wrists by targeting those muscles (although, you work those muscles every time you lift weights, but like other muscles, to really grow they need to be targeted for heavy loading i.e. punished like a motha f****r, in your routine).
    Last edited by fjenkins3; 08-21-2016 at 06:24 PM.