PDA

View Full Version : School Fishing Team

Lifter X
12-19-2006, 03:46 PM
well my schools starting a fishing team and will mostly be fishing in ponds and lakes i just wanted to know what kind of weights, bait, and anything elese i will need like a bobber or any certain type of lure

Biff at Oxford
12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Never heard of it but I think it's a great idea to get people back out into the woods instead of setting on their ass playing those games.

Not to knock anyone who plays games but I would rather catch one fish than play 6 months on one of those electronic mind tethers.

Once you find out what you need come back and we will coach you to win the entire thing.

Hurry, we need info..If it swims we can catch it.

Lifter X
12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Never heard of it but I think it's a great idea to get people back out into the woods instead of setting on their ass playing those games.

Not to knock anyone who plays games but I would rather catch one fish than play 6 months on one of those electronic mind tethers.

Once you find out what you need come back and we will coach you to win the entire thing.

Hurry, we need info..If it swims we can catch it.

what kind of info do i need so far we know that we will be fishing in ponds and lakes i dont know much about fishing thats why i came here and wanted to se what you guys though

teriyakisaki
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
definately look at powerbait. i've always used it and had success with it, but make sure you have a good selection as what the fish bite on always changes. some common ones are green sparkle, rainbow sparkle, captain america (red, white, blue and pink), and pink sparkle. definately get a good set of jigs aswell. i might be disgracing my family, but velveta cheese chunks with some wd40 (not always the most eco-friendly, but you'll definately catch with it) work wonders.

youre going to stick to the smaller sized weights. its not like deep sea where you have to go down 60+ feet.

for hooks you'll probably be having some sort of eagle claw three-pronged hooks if you aren't using jigs.

Biff at Oxford
12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
what kind of info do i need so far we know that we will be fishing in ponds and lakes i dont know much about fishing thats why i came here and wanted to se what you guys though

My bad, I thought it would be something where you would all go to a place and fish a different type of bait. Okay, I will start looking for basic tips.

First, how much do you know about fishing. Tell me where you are at so we have a start.

I am sorry that I did not take this as serious as I should.

fitnessman
12-19-2006, 06:04 PM
What State are you in?

I am sure we can help.

dangoody27
12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow I wish my school had a fishing team. I know that there are some Air Force bases that have ones.

But back to topic, give us your location for some tips.

Lifter X
12-19-2006, 06:35 PM
i live in massachusetts and pretty much no nothing id love to do some research if you guys could point me toward some websites id love that as well

but from what i know you use a bobber when it goes down you flick your rod up a little hoping that you set the hook in the fishes mouth

some of the things i have no idea on are jigs and if u use bait with them certain hooks certain weights things like that basic stuff

the tryouts for the team are march 26th

any help would be awsome

Nainoa
12-20-2006, 11:11 AM
i live in massachusetts and pretty much no nothing id love to do some research if you guys could point me toward some websites id love that as well

but from what i know you use a bobber when it goes down you flick your rod up a little hoping that you set the hook in the fishes mouth

some of the things i have no idea on are jigs and if u use bait with them certain hooks certain weights things like that basic stuff

the tryouts for the team are march 26th

any help would be awsome

Well looks like I'm going to have to fly to Massachusetts and mascarade as a High School Student.

I wonder if the bald thing will give me away?
:D

One of the big things with fishing is that the more time you put in the better you will become.

Myself personally I grew up in the city with a Dad I only saw on Weekends, odd vacations and the two summers I spent living with him...

So I had to teach myself how to fish... In the course of 6 years I went from being the often skunked novice that everyone used as the butt of a joke, and turned myself into the primo fisherman that every comes to for advice.

My Secret... Well other than the fact that it appears I just have a knack for it... Is that I put my time in... The average "Joe Sunday" fisherman spends around 45-50 hours a year on the water... Currently (According to my journal) I'm at 338 hours for 2006!

The other thing to do, is immerse yourself in mags/TV shows, Website articles like what you'll find at www.walleyecentral.com.

As far as Basics of fishing...

Fishing is like that game Othello, in that it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master.

Basically, for the case of bobber fishing from shore... You find the fish you're targeting... Find the best bait for the species and season... Set the bobber to the right depth... Bait the hook... Cast it out, and wait till the fish takes it..

Sounds simple, but it's one of those things where Practice makes perfect.

And Practice is what you need...

But here's some tips to help increase your percentages.

-I know you've probably got a students budget, so you can't afford all the fancy gear that Fitty and I sport around with. But I'd reccomend pinching a little extra money from somewhere, to scrounge up the $12 for a spool of 6 pound Vanish Transition. It's a flourocarbon line that has the same refractory properties as water... The fish don't see the line and so they are less spooked.
*In my own trials and records that I've kept in my journal, Vanish outfishes conventional mono or braided by a ration of 11.3 to 3.8. Meaning that while using Vanish I caught 11.3 fish in the same time that my fishing buddies caught 3.8 fish, using other lines.

-Slip Bobbers... You know I used to hate these goddam things, because they took so long to set up if you break line... But once you get fast enough at it, or just good/lucky enough to not break your line... Then the slip bobber becomes a very effective way to work various depths, without causing a lot of damage to your line that you see with spring-clip bobbers.

-You'll be fishing in Spring time and that means the 4-S's...
Spring... Shallow... Slow... Small...
In the spring fish are just coming out of a low oxygen time of the year... They're cold blooded and will gravitate towards more oxygen and warmer water. I've seen as little as 1 degree in water temp make a difference.

If you can find a small creek (Especially one on the north side of a lake/pond as the northside of a body of water heats first due to sun angle and other factors.) Then you will raise the percentage chances that you'll find fish.

Slow... Don't go ripping bait back on any cast and retrieve... Take your time... These fish are still trying to get their summer groove on, and are very lethargic at times.

Small... Other than various Minnows, the only thing these fish have to feed on are small invertabrates that live in the water. Mimmic what they're already eating and your percentages go up.

Shallow... Well this time of year Shallow water is warmer water etc...

Now the real kicker piece of advice here...

You need to become a Knot master... I'll bet you my left nut that part of this "Try out" is going to be whatever "Coach" is deciding makes the team, will be watching for skills like tieing a knot.

It's going to make a HUGE difference if you can tie a knot in 12 seconds when your competitors take 2 minutes. And you fish a pond with a bunch of deadfall, so you each get hung up and break like 10 times...
If you only have an hour to compete in, and you have 10 break off at 12 seconds a pop... You only lost 2 mins... Where as your competition, with 10 break off lost 20 mins, which is a third of his time!

Go out to Walmart... Find some cheap ass 6 pound test line... And a small pack of jig heads and every night spend a couple of minutes and just tie a knot... Cut it off... Tie another... Do 10 knots a night between now and march and you'll be up to speed...

There's always more... But that's a good begining.

Regardless of winning or losing, or making the team... Getting into Angling is one of the best things you can do...

It's a great way to relieve stress... Taking fishing trips is always an adventure... And as you get older, some of the convo's you have with friends... Or quality time spent with your own children some day, will go a long way in your own personal development.

One More Time
12-20-2006, 11:30 AM
well my schools starting a fishing team and will mostly be fishing in ponds and lakes i just wanted to know what kind of weights, bait, and anything elese i will need like a bobber or any certain type of lure

WTF? I'm jealous...lol Man, I wish I would have had this in high school. You have any idea what kind of fish? I assume that it may be some catfish & bass fishing.

Nainoa
12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
WTF? I'm jealous...lol Man, I wish I would have had this in high school. You have any idea what kind of fish? I assume that it may be some catfish & bass fishing.

God I hope not!

I have aterrible vision of 17 year olds playing around and getting maimed by a big old flat head!

My guess would be red sunfish, some old crappies, (Which I hear go rather ignored in that area, and probably some other stuff I've never heard of.)

But Lifter X if you show up to the first day and there's a bucket full of chicken guts, and a first aid kit, be prepared for one hell of a day.

Something else I forgot to mention in my previous post...

See if you can get your hands on a leatherman (Or similar knockoff.) A good set of pliers is handy when dealing with rough/aggressive fish... Or just plain nice to be able to stick a pliers in his mouth instead of your fingers if a toothed fish happens to swallow a hook so deep it's almost coming out his ass hole!

One More Time
12-20-2006, 01:03 PM
God I hope not!

I have aterrible vision of 17 year olds playing around and getting maimed by a big old flat head!

Dem dare horns are lethal...lol

Nainoa
12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I hope that this whole concept of a "Fishing Team" takes off by the time my kids are in school...

Strange that it's in MA... But I haven't heard a peep here in MN... In MN where we are #1 per capita in sales of fishing liscensing.

Nainoa
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Dem dare horns are lethal...lol

I had a buddy once... We were out pan fishing, and he kept getting bull heads and small channel cats... While I was pulling up some nice Crappies.

He has a real knack for getting a couple of beers in him and thinking that he's the illigitimate proginy of Superman and Popeye. So I'm pulling up Crappies, he's pullin' up bullheads & Cats... I start teasing him...
Because it's just that he's fishing bottom, when the Crappies are suspended...

He gets frustrated as a Bullhead breaks his hook on release, and he says "I swear if I catch another one of those bastards I'm gonna stomp it into paste!"

Not 10 seconds later he reels up, what was either a large bullhead of a dark (it was a brakish lake) channel cat... I didn't have time to give it a good look as he promptly dropped it onto the deck of the pontoon and stomped on it with everything he could muster.

Guts and gore exploded everywhere, a blob of liver and intestines just missed spurting past my face, or the next thing he would have seen would have been the inside of the Park Rapids Hospital!

All of a sudden he's hopping around with this bullhead stuck to the bottom of his boot... The 3.2 retard forgot that they had a spike on the dorsal fin... It went straight up through his boot and into his foot.

He spent weeks battling a foot infection!

Don't even get me started about my Friend Chris who is the worst Pike handler in human history!

fastdraw
12-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Forget the bobber crap. Fish like a pro. I use the dropshot rig for bass, and I regularly pull out 2 and 3 pounders. You can get bigger ones depending on the lake or pond that your fishing, especialy ponds.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28776

riddlingminion
12-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Haha "fishing team tryouts", what do they have you do, dangle your rod in a bucket and judge form? lol

fitnessman
12-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Haha "fishing team tryouts", what do they have you do, dangle your rod in a bucket and judge form? lol

Anyone can fish. Few can fish well.

90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen.

Biff at Oxford
12-21-2006, 05:53 AM

Yeah, I would hope there would be an essay portion of the contest because that's about all I have lately is stories about the one that got away.

Nainoa
12-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Forget the bobber crap. Fish like a pro. I use the dropshot rig for bass, and I regularly pull out 2 and 3 pounders. You can get bigger ones depending on the lake or pond that your fishing, especialy ponds.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28776

Uh... Drop shotting is really hard to do when shore fishing. Which is what it sounds like they've got going on...

Now don't get me wrong... There is probably more that he can do besides just bobber fishing...

Cranking with a spoon can also be an effective way to fish for certain species... As is a jig and a body, on a slow retrieve...

But you've got to learn to crawl before you learn to walk, and Bobber fishing is the best natural begining.

Cranking spoons, and spinners isn't the best way to go for a beginer, in that beginers lose a lot of lures, on snags, bad casts, poor knots, and other Fone Bone Follies. (Let us never speak of the rod I exploded when I caught my $5 Mepps spinner on a rock snag in the river.) :D ;)

But I could see getting a little sented body (Mr. Twister) Putting it on a shanked jig, casting it out, and giving it a little slow retrieve... It's an effective way to work a lot of water to eliminate the unproductive water, and stumble across a hot spot.

Which could be very good for a beginer who's eye isn't trained to spot structure.

Lifter X
12-21-2006, 08:32 AM
well i just wanna say thanks to everybody ive been lucky enough to get out of school this week and i went fishing tuesday and wednesday morning and hopefully back tonight. i was able to catch 4 fish on tuesday and 3 on wed most were small sunfish, i guess from what the book i had said. i jumped around using many diffrent types of weights seeing which 1 was good. i stuck with worms most of the time and a little bit of squid for bait as well i had quite alot that got awawy as well. and stuck in a bunch of trees, brush, lilly pads and everything thing elese in the water. Nainoa you were right with no practice it takes time to tie a knot and i listened to ur advice and bought some line and started tieing knots

i guess they had a small fishing team last year but i just transfered to the school. and pretty much the only requirment i guess to make the team then was to catch a fish in 1 of the 4 tryout days but they said this year thy might up he number a little bit i guess

Nainoa
12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
well i just wanna say thanks to everybody ive been lucky enough to get out of school this week and i went fishing tuesday and wednesday morning and hopefully back tonight. i was able to catch 4 fish on tuesday and 3 on wed most were small sunfish, i guess from what the book i had said. i jumped around using many diffrent types of weights seeing which 1 was good. i stuck with worms most of the time and a little bit of squid for bait as well i had quite alot that got awawy as well. and stuck in a bunch of trees, brush, lilly pads and everything thing elese in the water. Nainoa you were right with no practice it takes time to tie a knot and i listened to ur advice and bought some line and started tieing knots

i guess they had a small fishing team last year but i just transfered to the school. and pretty much the only requirment i guess to make the team then was to catch a fish in 1 of the 4 tryout days but they said this year thy might up he number a little bit i guess

Good for you bro... My first year when I was teaching myself how to fish, I had to suffer a lot of agonizing days and gear problems... But I just told myself... "Well it's the first year, I'm just gonna take it in the shorts, get my ass kicked... Run into all kinds of problems, and learn from them the best I can!"

Now right off the bat when you say

i had quite alot that got awawy as well.

Am I correct in assuming that you had several occasions where the bobber dobbed down once or twice really quick, and you couldn't set the hook to take the slack out of your line before the fish appeared to be gone?
And that better than 50% of the time you were completely missing, or had lost a part of, your bait?

One of the biggest mistakes that rookie fisherman make is with understanding their bobber and relating hook set to it.

A couple of things to keep in mind...

-Fish, especially small fish tend to "Sample" and pick at bait. They pick away at it in much the same way that we chew... They break it up into smaller pieces so it's easier to take it in. It's just like if you go and get a sweedish meatball... Technically it's a size that you could swallow whole... But have you ever tried swallowing a meat ball whole. (Well I have on a drunken college dare!) It sucks! It hurts to force a giant wad of meat down your throat hole {No Homo} :D

Instead you chew it up and swallow it in manageable bites.

Small fish who find your bait offering appealing, pick at it to do the same thing...

So when you see your bobber "Dobbing" in little dits... It's usually just them pulling, or attempting to pull pieces off of it... Because in their perspective, it's just a dead hunk of whatever worm and there's no rush.

If you give just a small tug of movement to the bobber/lure presentation, it sends the message of "This meal might be moving on."

*Note not a hookset style of tug... Just a little 2-3 inch movement to let the fish rethink his perception of it being an easy meal.

Another thing that fish do is "Sample" the bait.
Now I don't think there's any Walleye in your state, but it's still an applicable example.

Often times Walleye in a neutral feeding mood, when presented with live bait, will put it in their mouth to inspect it... If something seems a miss they will spit it out faster than you can blink your eye. But if they don't detect that something is a miss they will sample it in their mouth... They decide it's clearly "Good Eats" and they suck it down.

This is where you set the hook!

Now in your bobber game here... A fish might sample your bait, which will look like a little dobb in the bobber, and the bobber will sit still... Even though it's in his mouth! If you set the hook better than 50% of the time you'll just pull it out of his mouth, with no fish attached.

You have to let the bobber go down for a second or two, which means he's choosen to take the bait.

Something else to watch for... If your bobber suddenly goes flat/comes to the surface, SET THE HOOK... Because if it isn't some bizaro underwater flotsam that shallowed out your lure... It means that an aggressive fish swam up from the bottom and took your bait.

One last thing to note... If you're fishing with a Flu-Flu (Small Jighead with a colored hair tail.) And you find that small fish are nibbling up, or sampling away your bait...

Take where the knot ties to the side mounted eye, and turn the eye of the jig head so that instead of meeting the knot at a straight up and down 90 degrees, it instead makes a 45 degree turn... This makes it harder for fish to pick away at the bottom of your presentation, without having to commit to the hook end.

Lifter X
12-22-2006, 09:55 PM
maybe then i didnt have some get away i guess. I undersntad what you mean by sampling the bait and those tips helped greatly thanks alot. i went back out last night and caught a few more slowly im getting the hang of this stuff

me and my freinds are planning to make a night trip out to marthas vineyard an island off the coast of mass after christmas break and toss a few off into the ocean and we plan on renting a boat and goin deep out and trying are luck with that ill keep you guys posted and hopefully a few pictures of some fish

user321655
12-23-2006, 01:51 AM
sorry is this USA, or England, Because for bait id say maggots in england but maggies here are like 1.50 quarter of a pint and in the us there like $15 for quarter of a pint or something.

Also america has weird fish i dont know about.

BNR
12-24-2006, 11:13 AM
having a fishing team sounds awesome, sure wished my school did that. For trout I always use around 4lb test since they are line shy. I prefer lures to bait, but salmon eggs, and powerbait work great. If I'm bass fishing I usually use 8lb test line. If you're fishing ponds I'm sure they don't get that much pressure. I'd probably does get a split shot weight and put that about 12 to 18 in above your hook and throw nightcrawlers or plastic worms. Spinnerbaits and crankbaits keep you busy and are more entertaining than baitfishing. For catfish I usually just use 8lb test also. My favorite bait for them would be mackerel, bloodworms, and nightcrawlers. Just use trial and error and I'm sure you'll be catching fish in no time.