PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Knifes

Tromboner45
12-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not 12 years old, so I don't carry a butterfly knife, but I want something a little intimidating and also practical. I have had 2 altercations in the past month that I could have used it (The boxcutter worked ok, though). Thanks in advance, guys.

Random907
12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Speaking of butterfly knives, you may want to get one(preferrably authentic).

Check this website out, their knives are pretty good:
traditionalfilipinoweapons.com

Traditional Butterfly knife right here:
http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/filipino.balisong.knife.htm
http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/balisong.coin.stab.1.jpg

They have smaller, more concealable knives their, sharp as hell.

teriyakisaki
12-19-2006, 02:04 AM
any kind of folder would be good. spyderco makes really good quality stuff. you might also want to check out "tactical knives/folders" on google. its basically a regular folder with a spring in it, so it can draw just as if not faster than a switchblade. i dont have the link to it, but there are also super concealed blades that can be hidden in various places around the body and have about a 2inch blade on them that would definately do damage.

youngNhopefull
12-19-2006, 05:01 PM
right now im carryin a kershaw, not sure on specific name but im sure they have a few you would like. Mine is all black, assisted opening.

teriyakisaki
12-19-2006, 05:12 PM
be advised too that i would much rather use the knife as a fistpack than as an actual blade. if you have to use the blade ****'s really hit the fan. think before you react.

DKPaint
12-19-2006, 06:59 PM
i recommend a spring assist/lock syle knife. very useful, decent size, and can be opened in a split second when needed. altho i agree think before you react.

PaHulkster
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
If you don't know how to use a knife DO NOT bring it into a fight.

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Few bits of advice. Never carry a knife for defense if you have no idea how to defend yourself with it. If you truly decide to carry a knife for self-defense, you better be 100% willing and able to use it and understand the serious repercussions of using it as self-defense. In some situations, it could be considered as serious as a firearm.

That being said, many of the tactical folders today are not designed for self-defense. If you do decide on one, I wouldn't settle for anything less than $100 for a folder and make sure the lock mechanism is strong and can withstand shock and impact from the spine of the blade.

And for that guy who recommended a traditional Filipino balisong, those are not very high quality (at least the US imports). I used to have a connection from the Philippines who used to send me authentic handmade brass balisongs and I can tell you right now that they are not that high quality compared to Benchmades. They are made from scrap spring metal, rust easily and do not hold an edge well. Nor do many have stop pins and blade stops so they basically destroy themselves. Not to mention they only cost me $15 per custom balisong, including international shipping.

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 08:12 PM
be advised too that i would much rather use the knife as a fistpack than as an actual blade. if you have to use the blade ****'s really hit the fan. think before you react.

Using anything to load your fists is a good way to break your hands.

Random907
12-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Few bits of advice. Never carry a knife for defense if you have no idea how to defend yourself with it. If you truly decide to carry a knife for self-defense, you better be 100% willing and able to use it and understand the serious repercussions of using it as self-defense. In some situations, it could be considered as serious as a firearm.

That being said, many of the tactical folders today are not designed for self-defense. If you do decide on one, I wouldn't settle for anything less than $100 for a folder and make sure the lock mechanism is strong and can withstand shock and impact from the spine of the blade.

And for that guy who recommended a traditional Filipino balisong, those are not very high quality (at least the US imports). I used to have a connection from the Philippines who used to send me authentic handmade brass balisongs and I can tell you right now that they are not that high quality compared to Benchmades. They are made from scrap spring metal, rust easily and do not hold an edge well. Nor do many have stop pins and blade stops so they basically destroy themselves. Not to mention they only cost me $15 per custom balisong, including international shipping.
You should actually go to the website before saying anything, lol.

The one on the site are recommended for actual combat use and costs many times over what you paid for yours. And no these ones are not made out of scrap spring metal.

Directly from the site:
"All the blades are 5160 and rock tempered to 58 to 60 hardness scale. That is the hardest you can get any steel. It is the same hardness as the Japanese Katana;"

"Also take note that these blades are NOT made with the handle glued or screwed on! Each blade, from the beginning to the end, is one solid piece! They are all individually hand made by a tribe in the Philippines the same way this tribe has been making them for centuries. Every one of these Filipino historical and cultural weapons are actually combat ready to cut through about anything! You can see by reading this information on each blade, they are not made of re-melted spring steel like many other weapons from the Philippines on the market today!"

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 10:54 PM

The one on the site are recommended for actual combat use and costs many times over what you paid for yours. And no these ones are not made out of scrap spring metal.

Directly from the site:
"All the blades are 5160 and rock tempered to 58 to 60 hardness scale. That is the hardest you can get any steel. It is the same hardness as the Japanese Katana;"

"Also take note that these blades are NOT made with the handle glued or screwed on! Each blade, from the beginning to the end, is one solid piece! They are all individually hand made by a tribe in the Philippines the same way this tribe has been making them for centuries. Every one of these Filipino historical and cultural weapons are actually combat ready to cut through about anything! You can see by reading this information on each blade, they are not made of re-melted spring steel like many other weapons from the Philippines on the market today!"

I don't even need to visit the site to know that the quality of the knives are not going to be comparable to well made US knives. First of all 5160 steel isn't that great and 58-60 HRC has little to no meaning towards the quality of the knife. 60HRC is not exactly ideal for a balisong. The higher you go up on the hardness scale, the more brittle the metal is. Combined with the high impact nature of balisongs, this is not idea. I don't care if these knives have been made for hundreds of generations by master craftsman, you cannot beat the technology of some of these US made balisongs. These are made entirely by machines with CNC technology that have insane accuracy and can split hairs into many pieces. The technology that goes into US made balisongs is light years above anything that can be hand crafted by native Filipino crafters.

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Directly from the site:
"All the blades are 5160 and rock tempered to 58 to 60 hardness scale.

I should add that you know 5160 is spring steel right? The only reason why the ones on the site are many times more expensive is because people don't know the true cost behind making these knives. The $15 knives I had custom made are higher quality than the ones at the site. $15 USD is quite a bit in Filipino currency. I had them make a custom double edge kris blade with eagle brass inlays with dark red wood inlays.

Random907
12-19-2006, 11:10 PM
I should add that you know 5160 is spring steel right? The only reason why the ones on the site are many times more expensive is because people don't know the true cost behind making these knives. The $15 knives I had custom made are higher quality than the ones at the site. $15 USD is quite a bit in Filipino currency. I had them make a custom double edge kris blade with eagle brass inlays with dark red wood inlays.
Whether it is spring steel or not was not the point.

You were implying that the metals used were used and re-used to make the knife.

Also, unless you were to post pictures of yours, or better yet if we were to have the two side by side(and compare) then this conversation is not really going to get anywhere fast.

Random907
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't even need to visit the site to know that the quality of the knives are not going to be comparable to well made US knives. First of all 5160 steel isn't that great and 58-60 HRC has little to no meaning towards the quality of the knife. 60HRC is not exactly ideal for a balisong. The higher you go up on the hardness scale, the more brittle the metal is. Combined with the high impact nature of balisongs, this is not idea. I don't care if these knives have been made for hundreds of generations by master craftsman, you cannot beat the technology of some of these US made balisongs. These are made entirely by machines with CNC technology that have insane accuracy and can split hairs into many pieces. The technology that goes into US made balisongs is light years above anything that can be hand crafted by native Filipino crafters.
Oh by the way, send me the link to these U.S. made balisongs you are referring to. I will try them for myself.

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Whether it is spring steel or not was not the point.

You were implying that the metals used were used and re-used to make the knife.

Also, unless you were to post pictures of yours, or better yet if we were to have the two side by side(and compare) then this conversation is not really going to get anywhere fast.

That's because in many cases, the spring steel is melted off of car springs. Please do your research before making your claims.

I don't have the knives at my apartment now, but I can take pictures of my handmade knives this weekend, if you don't believe me. ;)

WIGuy
12-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh by the way, send me the link to these U.S. made balisongs you are referring to. I will try them for myself.

http://www.benchmade.com

Random907
12-19-2006, 11:16 PM
That's because in many cases, the spring steel is melted off of car springs. Please do your research before making your claims.

I don't have the knives at my apartment now, but I can take pictures of my handmade knives this weekend, if you don't believe me. ;)
Yes, thank you for your random fact about where most spring steel come from.

Just because most people do that, does not mean that this is the case this time around.

Please read and comprehend before replying.

Alrighty, take your pictures.

Random907
12-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Wow, great effort and initiative there.

Thanks.

Ah crap, they will not ship to Canada, I cannot test them out for myself.

Random907
12-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Sweet looking butterfly knives over at benchmade.

I do remember having a few benchmade knives, they are pretty sweet all together.

mjfan12
12-20-2006, 12:06 AM
i wouldnt want to use a knife either, but i would carry one as a last resort type of thing.

fish153
12-20-2006, 12:11 AM

Can't say enough about benchmade's quality -- they are amazing.

Nick29
12-20-2006, 04:47 PM
In Kentucky, you'd be better off getting a Kel Tec and a CCW license than carrying a knife. I've heard it stated by a few guys in the know that the first rule of a knife fight is you WILL get cut. It's only a matter of how bad. The same is not necessarily true when using a gun for self defense.

Hizzie
12-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife. Should be able to pick up the small version for ~$30. Get some training. If you're in KY TDI Ohio is a short drive and the training is 1st class. Getting a firearm and the proper training is a good idea too if your finances permit. As always check for compliance with all local/state laws.

Stay safe.

jason_bh
12-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm not 12 years old, so I don't carry a butterfly knife, but I want something a little intimidating and also practical. I have had 2 altercations in the past month that I could have used it (The boxcutter worked ok, though). Thanks in advance, guys.

I guess my concern is the comment about you getting into 2 altercations within a month's time. Are you prone to this kind of thing? I am not trying to come off here as being smart. But I am licensed to carry a gun. My big thing is that when I carry which is 98% of the time I am looking to avoid confrontations. I don't want to have to use my gun. But I will if my life or someone else's is threatened.

I realize that I was talking about a gun and you a knife, but the idea is the same here. You can kill someone with a knife as well as a gun. Whenever you pull out either one in confrontation you had better be prepared to use it in a manner that will stop the attack whatever that may be. All I am getting at here is that you need to ask yourself if you are fully prepared to use a knife in such a manner that could kill someone. The reason that I say this is that you are looking for something that is 'intimidating'. You shouldn't be looking at a weapon just because it looks intimidating. You need to be prepared to use it as well. If not, then I suggest you look into something like pepper spray.

Tromboner45
12-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I guess my concern is the comment about you getting into 2 altercations within a month's time. Are you prone to this kind of thing? I am not trying to come off here as being smart. But I am licensed to carry a gun. My big thing is that when I carry which is 98% of the time I am looking to avoid confrontations. I don't want to have to use my gun. But I will if my life or someone else's is threatened.

I realize that I was talking about a gun and you a knife, but the idea is the same here. You can kill someone with a knife as well as a gun. Whenever you pull out either one in confrontation you had better be prepared to use it in a manner that will stop the attack whatever that may be. All I am getting at here is that you need to ask yourself if you are fully prepared to use a knife in such a manner that could kill someone. The reason that I say this is that you are looking for something that is 'intimidating'. You shouldn't be looking at a weapon just because it looks intimidating. You need to be prepared to use it as well. If not, then I suggest you look into something like pepper spray.

haha, yeah, I get what you're saying, but I'm prepared to use it. Getting into two different situations like that was almost my fault. I don't want to get into specifics, but both times were trying to help someone out and they thought they were going to take advantage of someone. Its not that I want to scare someone off with it, i think i might have written that part poorly, but my point is that I wasn't looking for anything; both just happened.

dempo25
12-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Benchmade 4x series are the best out there in production. I have a 42, let me tell you it is the best. Dont get a cheap balisong, its not worth it. If you want one, go on ebay and those bastards will ship anywhere, thats how I got mine. Alternatives could include: switchblades, simple folders, throwing knives, tri folders.

TheBlueDevil
12-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Personally i carry a Microtech H.A.L.O.II I saw Nuggz mention something about these cool little hideawayknives. Seem to be something interesting. I might look into getting myself one since i have too much money to spend

lanzo
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
First of all 5160 steel isn't that great and 58-60 HRC has little to no meaning towards the quality of the knife. 60HRC is not exactly ideal for a balisong. The higher you go up on the hardness scale, the more brittle the metal is. Combined with the high impact nature of balisongs, this is not idea.

absolutely right! ^^^
and not to mention 5160 at 60 HrC would be a bitch to sharpen!!!!
Go with spyderco something in the $100-150 range and you will be happy.

KIDRR
12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
I have a lot of knives including: Spyderco, cold steel, Gerber, Buck, kershaw, crt, etc.. I am curious to see what the big hoopla is about Benchmade so I got one of these a few days ago. Think I should have got the combo edge? I normally do.

I got one of these recently:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5171/benchmade425on5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)