PDA

View Full Version : I'm so ready for the Crappie spawn

Marv
12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Pretty much what the title says. I have nothing really left to say other than I'm going nuts waiting on the spawn season for Crappie when 15 crappie can be caught within 30 minutes with ease between me and whoever I'm fishing with that day.

I need my crappie fry dammit!

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/781/slabor2.jpg

fitnessman
12-11-2006, 05:47 AM
When is the Spawn in your State?

Have to wait till April here.

fitnessman
12-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Gotta Love Crappie's :)

Geno
12-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Early March in AL.

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 08:21 AM

Holy Crap! Up here in Central MN, depending on the lake it's anywhere from Early May to Early June...

fitnessman
12-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Holy Crap! Up here in Central MN, depending on the lake it's anywhere from Early May to Early June...

If that new Avatar is from this Ice season...You are BANNED!!!!

Gonna hit the 50's here this week :mad:

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
If that new Avatar is from this Ice season...You are BANNED!!!!

Gonna hit the 50's here this week :mad:

LOL... That's right Bro...

18.25 incher in the photo, per my other thread...

The Ice Season has begun in full force... 10 inches of ice on the lake yesterday.

Kind of funny, the guy who we're borrowing the Camera from this year, has been transfered for 15 months to Ohio... As he said "There's nothing to do here! I hate you guys!"
So today we e-mailed him the Ice Fishing Photos!

fitnessman
12-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Man plenty to do here! Bow is still in with a bonus gun season coming up. Duck/Goose is still going strong..All small game.

Smelt and Burbot are moving in towards the breakwalls on Erie. Steelhead are on fire in the rivers. Crappies are feeding hard.

Have him mail me. I will get him contact with someone in his area.

You are still SO BANNED :D I just love the ice!

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Man plenty to do here! Bow is still in with a bonus gun season coming up. Duck/Goose is still going strong..All small game.

Smelt and Burbot are moving in towards the breakwalls on Erie. Steelhead are on fire in the rivers. Crappies are feeding hard.

Have him mail me. I will get him contact with someone in his area.

You are still SO BANNED :D I just love the ice!

Actually I prefer to have him sit in his hotel room and suffer with boredom... Guy just married my ex... I don't care in the least, but he seems to think it makes him more of a man than me... And he just coincidentally happened to be friends with one of my top fishing partners...

So now he sits in Ohio, bored, working his ass off while his new wife partys her brains out back here... While we borrow all of his ice fishing gear, wheel house and ATV to have the time of our lives on the ice.

But according to him, and his rampaging case of LMS he has totally Owned me!
LOL!

fitnessman
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
In that case let him rot!

Marv
12-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Usually the spawn doesn't fully happen until end of March, first part of April around here.

However, if there's a few "warmer" days in late Feb. to mid March the crappie sometimes feed in shallower water off the banks.

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Usually the spawn doesn't fully happen until end of March, first part of April around here.

However, if there's a few "warmer" days in late Feb. to mid March the crappie sometimes feed in shallower water off the banks.

So now you have open water all year right?

What's the winter bite like...

One of the phenomenons we run into up here in the great white north, is that during late winter the Perch and Walleye start to stage up adjacent to where they're going to spawn. (As they spawn shortly after Ice Out.)

It's so predictable to the point where they close Walleye Season for a 10 week period because you can catch them like Pan Fish if you know where to go.

Do the Crappies in your area have this same extended Pre-Spawn stage out?

By the time the Crappie spawn is turning up around here it's Walleye season. (Or I'm catching Catfish for the Garden) So I never poke around for Crappies at that time.

Biff at Oxford
12-11-2006, 10:16 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/uopm/gotcrappie.jpg

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Gotta Love Crappie's :)

Well, as long as we're sportin' Crappie Pictures...

This catch was from last Ice Season, me and 2 other guys in the course of 2 days at a little 200 acre forgotten lake lost in the woods of Northern MN.

Marv
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
So now you have open water all year right?

What's the winter bite like...

One of the phenomenons we run into up here in the great white north, is that during late winter the Perch and Walleye start to stage up adjacent to where they're going to spawn. (As they spawn shortly after Ice Out.)

It's so predictable to the point where they close Walleye Season for a 10 week period because you can catch them like Pan Fish if you know where to go.

Do the Crappies in your area have this same extended Pre-Spawn stage out?

By the time the Crappie spawn is turning up around here it's Walleye season. (Or I'm catching Catfish for the Garden) So I never poke around for Crappies at that time.

They can be active in the winter time around here. Usually it depends from lake to lake. There's places where you could hit every part of the lake, tip the jig, do everything, and the crappie won't bite. Others, it seems like you can't keep them off your line.

Most of the time they're found 15-25' of water, depending on the depth of the lake.

I do find a small influx of saugeye being caught in mid-April at times.

Pre-spawn usually is short here (imo). Usually hits somewhere around mid Feb. until mid March, so I usually give it a realistic 4-5 weeks tops. The Oklahoma weather is so unpredictable during this time, it really causes a swift change in conditions for the crappie.

Post-spawn there's a lot of action, sometimes more so than spawning itself. The crappie really like to bunch up together around the first drop off from shallow water to deeper water for about a 2 week period. And they're really active in biting! Sometimes some sand bass will be along in the area too, with an occasional channel cat and smaller largemouth bass. Usually I find these days to be some of the most fun fishing days of the year. I'm not sure how water conditions are up there, but I would encourage you to take advantage of the post spawn crappies for sure.

Nainoa
12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
They can be active in the winter time around here. Usually it depends from lake to lake. There's places where you could hit every part of the lake, tip the jig, do everything, and the crappie won't bite. Others, it seems like you can't keep them off your line.

Most of the time they're found 15-25' of water, depending on the depth of the lake.

I do find a small influx of saugeye being caught in mid-April at times.

Pre-spawn usually is short here (imo). Usually hits somewhere around mid Feb. until mid March, so I usually give it a realistic 4-5 weeks tops. The Oklahoma weather is so unpredictable during this time, it really causes a swift change in conditions for the crappie.

Post-spawn there's a lot of action, sometimes more so than spawning itself. The crappie really like to bunch up together around the first drop off from shallow water to deeper water for about a 2 week period. And they're really active in biting! Sometimes some sand bass will be along in the area too, with an occasional channel cat and smaller largemouth bass. Usually I find these days to be some of the most fun fishing days of the year. I'm not sure how water conditions are up there, but I would encourage you to take advantage of the post spawn crappies for sure.

See for me the most active time I catch Crappies. (Not counting Ice Season) is around the full moon of July.

In July it gets too warm here to do anything but fish for Members of the Esox family. (Musky in my case.)

So things switch up to night fishing to avoid the heat of the day and to catch the Walleye night bite when the come up from the depths to feed the weedline.

On my favorite lake, a 2200+ acre gem that's justa 51 minute drive from my back door... There's a point on the south east side, where there's one bay with a gravel and boulder bottom... That meets another bay with a Cabbage bottom and weed shoreline... They meet at this place called Anderson point... Then just off of Anderson point is a perfect drop off...

Night falls, and everything starts it's night pattern... The Full moon rises and we troll with the electric motor all along the Shade line created by the moon light... We pick up Walleye trolling the Gravel bay, and we pick up Crappie when we troll into the weed bay...

We just keep going back and forth on the moon line filling my live well.

In 2007 I've already taken a 3 day weekend on the weekend of July's full moon just to catch this bite...

Figure I'll sleep till 3:00 pm... Get up fish Musky from 5:00-ish till 8:30... Then as Dusk approaches, switch it up to Musky and Crappie trolling.

3 Days straight baby!

Marv
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Night fishing is a lot of fun. However, I've tried it a few times on my own with little success though, it's probably the beer that makes it fun :D. I'm probably doing something wrong I imagine with the fishing part.

Either way though, that sounds like you have a fun time planned ahead. I've always wanted to fish for musky, but never have gotten the chance to.

What type of set up / bait are you using when trolling for walleye and crappie?

Nainoa
12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Night fishing is a lot of fun. However, I've tried it a few times on my own with little success though, it's probably the beer that makes it fun :D. I'm probably doing something wrong I imagine with the fishing part.

Either way though, that sounds like you have a fun time planned ahead. I've always wanted to fish for musky, but never have gotten the chance to.

The key to night fishing Crappies, is to understand the lighting.

Crappies do have above average night vision, but not as good as Walleye.

To my experience, other than a few odd ball times that I've enticed a pike or Snagged a snoozin' sunny, that once the sun goes down you're only going to catch Walleye, Crappies, the odd perch and the Sonuvabitch members of the Catfish/Bullhead family.

Walleye are the sharpest...

But Crappies tend towards the light... Part of this is vision, but more importantly it's the lake dynamics... The forage cycle changes after dark, and Microbial life moves towards the light sources.

IIRC it's Phytoplankton that moves up in the water column towards the light source... (I could have that wrong, I always mix up my planktons!) LOL!

But then small invertabrates come to feed on the Phyto's... The Crappies come to Strain feed on the phyto's, and snack on the invertabrates. As such they hang on the edge of the light waiting to ambush, yet still get the good phyto strain.

So if you know your lake, check for Structure along moonlines, and especially check around lighted docks, and super especially around lighted docks adjacent to or in deep water.

If you really want to be devious... And check the laws in your state... It's illegal in MN, but I've taken advantage of people who have done it...

Get a bunch of Christmas trees, say just offer to take your friends Christmas trees and dispose of them for free.

Tie them to a brick and sink them at the edge of a drop off... In about a month or so (Depending on lake and temps) it should be a crappie haven.

I laugh every time I see some guy in January during the ice season trying to jam his Christmas tree down an 8 inch hole!

Now as for Lure and Presentation!

I have two that I use as my "Go-To." Lures...

Know I'm more of a fan of Anchor fishing for Crappies, if that's just what I'm targeting as it reduces spook factor... But for me, outside of Ice Season, and a little first ice action, I only really combo crappies, and rarely just single species target them.

So when I'm doing a little stealth trolling tour, I go with the Mepps spin Flex... It's a live bait lure, that's kind of if a jig head and a #2 Mepps Spinner had an illegitimate child.

It fouls rather easily in weeds, but when working effectively it has the strength of both live bait presentation and the flash and bang of a spinner.

If I'm just trolling for a predator like a pike or a walleye...

I've run a lot of numbers and kept a journal... And to date the Husky Jerk, Rattling glass shad rap in the styling attached has for two years straight now outfished all other lures by greater than 2 to 1...

And in fact last year out of a 45 pike survey that my buddy and I kept, it pulled in 27 of 45 pike, (The Top 7 biggest hit it over other lures.) Also adding 3 accidental Walleye, 2 Crappies, 4 Large Mouth and a back snagged smallie to boot. And a MASSIVE Musky, that decided to hand me my ass and finally took the lure away from me.

As I understand it it's technically a trout fry lure... I bought it after reading about how one of the main forage for Large Pike are small pike, and I thought it looked a lot like a flashy Pike Fingerling.

Thordic
12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Love crappie fishing. When I lived down south me and my dad would catch one ecerytime the jig hit the water.

ryno1977
12-13-2006, 07:28 PM

what part of oklahoma are you from.

Marv
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
what part of oklahoma are you from.

I range from OKC to Stillwater

Pronto
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
this thread inspired me to check out a local dallas honey hole for crappie. it's called White Rock Creek. This was my first time to visit the creek and to fish for crappie. I was thinking it wouldn't be very crowded on a Wednesday at 10am, but there were at least 50 people out there taking advantage of the warmer weather. I got skunked, but there were a lot of people catching fish.

Can anyone give me some tips or rigs that you like to use? More specifically how you rig your jig or minnow. I only had jigs on me today, but I am going to go back with some minnows. I want to try using two hooks on one line so i can work a jig and a minnow at the some time. Any help on how to set this up?

Marv
12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
this thread inspired me to check out a local dallas honey hole for crappie. it's called White Rock Creek. This was my first time to visit the creek and to fish for crappie. I was thinking it wouldn't be very crowded on a Wednesday at 10am, but there were at least 50 people out there taking advantage of the warmer weather. I got skunked, but there were a lot of people catching fish.

Can anyone give me some tips or rigs that you like to use? More specifically how you rig your jig or minnow. I only had jigs on me today, but I am going to go back with some minnows. I want to try using two hooks on one line so i can work a jig and a minnow at the some time. Any help on how to set this up?

It really depends on water conditions truthfully, at least for me to give a proper answer as to what type of jigs, set up, etc. Does the area have clear or murky water?

Pronto
12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
It really depends on water conditions truthfully, at least for me to give a proper answer as to what type of jigs, set up, etc. Does the area have clear or murky water?

the water is more towards the murky side and it is really slow moving. at some of the pools the water is completely still. there is a lot of structure throughout the creek that i tried to work. i was told to use chartruese (sp?) colored jigs. i did that, but to be honest i really didn't feel confident when i was using them. i couldn't get a good feel of how i was supposed to fishi it. i tried a slow retrieve then a fast retrieve and i also threw a bobber on and let it sit there. i think a minnow might work better, until i can figure out how to fish with a jig.

i should probably talk to one of the locals out there next time i go.

Marv
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
the water is more towards the murky side and it is really slow moving. at some of the pools the water is completely still. there is a lot of structure throughout the creek that i tried to work. i was told to use chartruese (sp?) colored jigs. i did that, but to be honest i really didn't feel confident when i was using them. i couldn't get a good feel of how i was supposed to fishi it. i tried a slow retrieve then a fast retrieve and i also threw a bobber on and let it sit there. i think a minnow might work better, until i can figure out how to fish with a jig.

i should probably talk to one of the locals out there next time i go.

Chartreuse can work in about any condition to my knowledge. If the water is murky, go with darker colored combo jigs. I usually elect to go with anything with a black combo in murky water.

I'm assuming you're doing vertical casting? If not, I'd encourage trying this, as usually in the cooler water temps the crappie action is slower. Laying the bait right in front of them is usually sufficient enough to get a bite. Try tipping the jig with a minnow, instead of keeping them separate of each other.

Don't worry about reeling the bait in, etc.; I'd just drop it in the water (I usually work bottom up in winter time) and just tip your pole to cause the jig/minnow to move slightly up.

Not too in depth, but this is the basics I'd follow when fishing. Others probably have more in depth opinions here that'd be really helpful.

Good luck.

Pronto
12-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Chartreuse can work in about any condition to my knowledge. If the water is murky, go with darker colored combo jigs. I usually elect to go with anything with a black combo in murky water.

I'm assuming you're doing vertical casting? If not, I'd encourage trying this, as usually in the cooler water temps the crappie action is slower. Laying the bait right in front of them is usually sufficient enough to get a bite. Try tipping the jig with a minnow, instead of keeping them separate of each other.

Don't worry about reeling the bait in, etc.; I'd just drop it in the water (I usually work bottom up in winter time) and just tip your pole to cause the jig/minnow to move slightly up.

Not too in depth, but this is the basics I'd follow when fishing. Others probably have more in depth opinions here that'd be really helpful.

Good luck.

kind of off topic, but i noticed that you live in oklahoma. have you ever been to the lmfr in broken bow? i went there last summer for the first time and the trout fishing was amazing.

Nainoa
12-14-2006, 07:00 AM

Now I know that Minnow fishing is the method everyone ascribes to when it comes to fishing for Crappies...

But personally... I don't think it's the most effective.

For one... I HAVE NEVER CLEANED A CRAPPIE THAT HAD A MINNOW IN IT'S GUTS. NEVER... (Well other than if he happed to gut down my own.)

Crappies feed on microscopic invertabrates that feed on plankton.

What Crappies do though is select for size. If they have a choice of two different forages, they pick the larger forage.

A minnow is little more than Scavange for them, that they have to suck down. And the only time a Crappie will scavange such a large meal is if he's either a HOSS, or if he hasn't fed in a long time, and sees it as a big meal.

I mean if you turned a 10 inch crappie into a Human Being... A minnow would be the equivalent of eating a Prime Rib dinner with a heaping pile of Mashed Potatoes, gravy, Steamed Asparagus, Corn bread bisquits, with Apple Pie for desert, washed down with a peanut butter milk shake.

Now if you've been eating cookies and popcorn all day and your gut is half full of all of this "Grazing" how excited are you going to be to eat the massive dinner?
But if Aunt Mable puts another Fresh baked cookie down in front of you, you're probably going to eat it.

Crappie fishing with minnows is indeed a good way to catch aggressive and/or large Crappies. But if weather, or other factors have turned them into a neutral or negative feeding mood. You're significantly lowering your percentages.

My Buddy and I were playing with this thinking this past summer... I was the guy with the Minnow suspended under a bobber right where we had just marked a Pod of Crappies in this isolated bay. The Bay was deep with brush structure everywhere and ringed by lilly's and Submergent Cabbage... It was only connected to the rest of the lake by a 3 foot deep channel that was little more than a muddy creek, maintained by the local beaver family.

So as we moved around the hotspots of the bay I sat there with the minnow under a bobber... I caught 3 Hogs in the course of 4 hours. (Lost 2-3 other bites)

My buddy went back and forth between casting a Small twister tail and bobber fishing with a simple Wax worm on a Nymph style flu-flu...

He handed me my ass with something like 16 crappies that were Table Fair size, and 2 additional Hosses. He kept this style of Crappie fishing up for the rest of the fishing trip...

I don't remember the exact numbers, (Don't have my fishing Journal with me) But I do remember commenting that when it came to Crappies on that trip, by the end of the week, he personally outfished the other 5 of us COMBINED!

Pronto
12-14-2006, 07:10 AM
haha your prime rib analogy made me hungry. i need to try those wax worms. i think i saw someone using those, but i had no idea what they were. i googled wax worms and that's what they looked like. thanks.

where can i get wax worms? a pet store maybe........?

thanks for your help guys.

Nainoa
12-14-2006, 07:19 AM
haha your prime rib analogy made me hungry. i need to try those wax worms. i think i saw someone using those, but i had no idea what they were. i googled wax worms and that's what they looked like. thanks.

where can i get wax worms? a pet store maybe........?

thanks for your help guys.

Well around my area they sell them in any old bait store... There's probably some kind of small refridgerator unit near the Minnow tanks... I know you can order them online through certain bait suppliers.

Pet Stores will have "Mule" worms... Which are different... Don't know how they'd work as bait?

fitnessman
12-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Here in Ohio in cold water I will take a Minnow any day. Warmer water a Berkley 1" power tube will out fish a minnow.

Most our lakes are over run with runt gills and using wax worms or maggots will leave you frustrated.

It to the point with runt gills I will use medium minnows as the smaller "Crappie" minnows will have their stomachs pecked out by the gills.

Nainoa
12-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Here in Ohio in cold water I will take a Minnow any day. Warmer water a Berkley 1" power tube will out fish a minnow.

Most our lakes are over run with runt gills and using wax worms or maggots will leave you frustrated.

It to the point with runt gills I will use medium minnows as the smaller "Crappie" minnows will have their stomachs pecked out by the gills.

We run into that from Lake to Lake around here... For those of you who have run into this problem... The technical term for it is "Stunting."

Cycle ends up that you get a lot of Anglers keeping Large Pike, and kicking back the small pike... Then Keeping the Bronco Pannys and kicking back the small Panfish...

Tips the forage base to the point where you get these clouds of Runts, who out compete each other to the point where they're all at the edge of starvation... The prolonged malnutrition keeps them from growing to full adult size.

The only way to fix it is for the regulars and locals of a lake to all ascribe to the proper selective harvest of fish... Keeping only fish that make bare minumum size for table fare and putting back all the large fish...

Eventually the big predators eat the small predators, and the small prey... Which breaks the forage competition, and the lake cycle resets.

I took part in a 5 year project on a lake 2.5 hours north of me where one of my best friends had a cabin on a stunted lake. With everyone making a concerted effort, they turned the lake around.

The DNR officer for that area before the selective harvest program went into effect had one blue gill that he sampled. With bone development and scale testing method it was in it's 5th summer... The Fish was 5.625 inches long! (Should have been more like 8-9")

This last summer I caught a 10.25 inch gill out of the lake...

In MN where we have some 11,000+ lakes you get to know the stunted ones in a hurry and stay away from them.

But I am helping out with a selective harvest program on another lake near me, trying to turn it around because it's only like 35 minutes away from my house, and if we can get it turned around it would make a nice Homelake for me...

My Current Home lake is a 51 minute drive from my back door. It's an awesome 2000 acre gem... But it would be nice to be able to get on some good fish closer to home if I want to launch on say any given tuesday after work.

fitnessman
12-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Very few Pike in lakes around my home. Walleye Camp is about 1.5 hours aways and that has a good pike population, so very good size gills in that lake.

My Crappie hole close to home is flat out one of the best fall/winter Crappie spots I have ever fished....Just loaded with runt gills. Not enough predators to keep them at bay.

A good place to take my youngens though...They don't care what size the fish are..Just as long as the bobber goes down :)

Nainoa
12-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Very few Pike in lakes around my home. Walleye Camp is about 1.5 hours aways and that has a good pike population, so very good size gills in that lake.

My Crappie hole close to home is flat out one of the best fall/winter Crappie spots I have ever fished....Just loaded with runt gills. Not enough predators to keep them at bay.

A good place to take my youngens though...They don't care what size the fish are..Just as long as the bobber goes down :)

I always find it interesting to see the differences in Fish populations from Region to Region...

I mean MN is just crawling with Pike and other Esox... Sure some lakes have nothing but snakes, pickles and hammer handles... But in the 100-or so lakes or so that I've been to in the course of my life, I've never found a one that didn't have a pike population.

One of the big problems in MN though is that Walleye, is like the State fish, bird, flower, and food... With so many Walleye anglers and all the improved technology, we have some lakes that have been fished so low and then pushed out by Pike abundance that you can find lakes completely devoid of Walleye, or so sparce that there's only a dozen caught in the stretch of an entire year...

Then you have other lakes that in the right conditions you're catching them like Sunnies...

It's kind of forced people to become lake biologists as a side hobby!

LOL... Sometimes "For Fun" I sit down and read the stocking reports and compare them to the forage base of lake surveys!

I think I may need an angling addiction treatment center...

Kind of like Betty Ford is for Drunks... I think they need to open an Al Lindner center!
:D

fitnessman
12-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Kind of like Betty Ford is for Drunks... I think they need to open an Al Lindner center!
:D

I would have to attend! :D

Bonus Gun season this weekend here in Ohio. I don't gun hunt, but taking a couple friends up to camp.

I am going to run a Trotline at dusk (monster flatheads) and then head out for a little night time Walleye jiggin.

Of course I would prefer some DAMN ICE!!!!

Nainoa
12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I would have to attend! :D

Bonus Gun season this weekend here in Ohio. I don't gun hunt, but taking a couple friends up to camp.

I am going to run a Trotline at dusk (monster flatheads) and then head out for a little night time Walleye jiggin.

Of course I would prefer some DAMN ICE!!!!

My weekend consists of taking the fiance out and about for Friday night, then clean the house on Saturday.... to earn up my brownie points for Sunday... On the ice at Dawn, fish till an hour past dark.

I'm coming into "The hard Core stretch."

Coming up...

Ice fishing on Sunday 12/17
Day trip on 12/22
Another Day Trip on 12/23

Then I leave either the night of the 27th or the morning of the 28th for a sleeper trip either on Mille Lacs or a nearby Walleye lake... Returning the night of the 30th.

Then I stay at home for a weekend (Maybe) then I head up again on January 11th for a 3 day Crappie Ice fishing trip.

So I'm going to be a busy boy!

fitnessman
12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Send a big ass cold front my way! I have toys that need to be played with!!

The Trotline will have to do for tonight. Ever try getting a 60lb Flathead into a boat at 2am :eek:

Catch and release for the babies only for me! I will keep the channels. Funny thing is people tell me you can't catch cats this time of year :rolleyes:

The Walleye will a tad more tricky tonight. We have a good blow going.

Nainoa
12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Send a big ass cold front my way! I have toys that need to be played with!!

The Trotline will have to do for tonight. Ever try getting a 60lb Flathead into a boat at 2am :eek:

Catch and release for the babies only for me! I will keep the channels. Funny thing is people tell me you can't catch cats this time of year :rolleyes:

The Walleye will a tad more tricky tonight. We have a good blow going.

Any consistent Flat Head population in MN stops at the Damn south of my home town... Only Channel cats from me North... So I'd have to make a special trip through an industrial area, and go another hour or so south just for a special trip... Not worth it for me to become a Flathead guy, when I'm forced by location to choose between a special trip just for them... Or a regular trip with Musky, Pike, Walleye, Crappies and Bronco Blue Gills closer.

Though i do pick up Channel cats in the spring on a lake chain that sponsors promiscous fishing of Channel cats, due to over population... 2 per tomato plant in the spring makes for AWESOME fertilizer...

Just have to watch out for all the spiked skulls when I till the garden!
LOL

trams_219
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Crappie fishing is great

foggydays
12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
i spent 5 weeks in jan/feb this year at lake okeechobee fla. in a motorhome at indian prairie canal. i fished everyday and loaded the freezer with tasty slabs.

night fishing under lights
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/foggydays/okeechobee056.jpg

probably my biggest
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k149/foggydays/okeechobee101-1.jpg