PDA

View Full Version : Would you have taken the shot?

Biff at Oxford
11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
I read the story and I am kinda happy for the kid, not really sure I believe it, but I think it breaks the first rule I learned about hunting,"Always know what's behind your target". I would hate to think that I might wound the other animal and it would suffer for days because I was stupid.

Yeah, I know I should cut the kid some slack but I am trying to teach a lesson here.

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061125/SPJ0101/611250443/1983

Geno
11-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Not with a .243. I've done the same to feral dogs with a 7mm magnum and barnes bullets and to a six point and a doe with a .50 muzzle loader with a plains bullet at about twelve yards when I was a kid.

A .308 and military ball is a whole different story - it will double penetrate out to a couple hundred yards pretty easily - never got the opportunity though.

Budweiser
11-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah i would have taken it. there was no danger to anybody else. If there is a group of deer running you can't wait until they get separated to take a shot. The shots were clean and safe.

Good job to the kid.

Achilles_
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah i would have taken it. there was no danger to anybody else. If there is a group of deer running you can't wait until they get separated to take a shot. The shots were clean and safe.

Good job to the kid.

If they were running and I didnt have another chance I would. Otherwise I would wait.

smokeater
11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I read the story and I am kinda happy for the kid, not really sure I believe it, but I think it breaks the first rule I learned about hunting,"Always know what's behind your target". I would hate to think that I might wound the other animal and it would suffer for days because I was stupid.

Yeah, I know I should cut the kid some slack but I am trying to teach a lesson here.

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061125/SPJ0101/611250443/1983
Well if you take a shot and are surprised because you hit a second animal that you didn't even know was there, you certainly broke a very important law of firearms. It's dangerous, irresponsible and stupid. This 1 shot, 2 kill thing only happened by fluke and because the kid wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. What happens if it's not a deer behind the target next time? The last thing we need to be doing is to arm the anti-gun people with another argument of why guns should be taken away.

However if he did look deep, and saw beyond his target, and took the shot knowing what was there... rock on for the kid!

lossttt
11-29-2006, 02:14 PM
he was in a tree... ie an elevated position which gives him a perspective on the area behind the target as well... so given that, he had a blind spot about lets say no more than 5 feet behind the animal depending on his height and location.

so personally i think its hard for all of us to judge bc we werent there, we dont know his height above the ground or exactly what he could see, but the kid was supervised and it was a clean shot...

Tallho
11-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Haven't read the story, but did something that I usually would not try.

I hunt with a 22-250 I know to small for most,not to toot my horn,but when your good anything will work-TOOT.

I was in the treestand and three does came out( 2 grown,1yearling)and they were at the corn pile.And one of the big does circled around and came up behind the other doe,and I thought what the hell never tried it so I aimed for the chest of the one in the front and thought the bullet would travel through her and into the head of the otherone behind her.So I took the shot and they all took off,but to my surprise one doe and the yearling came back after 10min. so I took aim at the other doe,Meat in the freezer.

Might have happened with 270 or larger,but needless to say won't try it again.

4 deer in the freezerneed a couple more to hold me over till next year.

Good hunting to all. Tallyho

Geno
11-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I'll say it again - I have no problem with intentional one shot two kill scenarios but the .243 winchester is NOT enough gun to consistantly double penetrate therefor it is an unethical shot. Had he been using a .270 or larger it would have been fine.

The whole I was surprised to see that I shot two is an issue with me also but I think he's probably lying about that.

RockyIV
11-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I think the problems was that he was sleeping and grabbed his rifle to shoot not properly assessing the situation, IMHO. The fact is that in this instance nobody was hurt, no harm no foul.

That does seem like alot of punch with a 243.

Biff at Oxford
11-30-2006, 08:59 AM
I'll say it again - I have no problem with intentional one shot two kill scenarios but the .243 winchester is NOT enough gun to consistantly double penetrate therefor it is an unethical shot. Had he been using a .270 or larger it would have been fine.

The whole I was surprised to see that I shot two is an issue with me also but I think he's probably lying about that.

The problem about the lying is what bothers me and that's why I put it in my original post, like you I think he might be fudging the facts. reps for much logical thought,

Tallho
11-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Theres been many of times that i'll just sit there and observe the deer and learn by there action,i.e. Birds fling in raccoons,turkies,to learn what they do in those cercumstances.

It's a whole different objective to learn by those who's house you are in.Just sit there a time or two and let the deer walk,and you'll be a better hunter and individual.

Tallyho

lordofchaos
11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Uh guys, the story clearly says he saw the second doe there, as did his grandfather and father who were with him. He aimed at the larger of the 2, and I assume, didn't think the bullet would over penetrate and take the second doe out. Niether did his father or grandfather who were with him and told him to take the shot so he could get his first deer.

Honestly, I am suprised he took the first deer through the heart and came out with enough force for a killing shot on the second deer and the elevation to hit it in the neck being as he shot from a tree stand. Unless I miss read that and he hit the smaller deer first, but it said he was aiming at the larger deer, and since he took it in the heart, I have a hard time assuming that he missed his aim enough to hit the other deer, but still was one enough to hit his intended target in the heart though.

Honestly, I think this was just one of those 1 in a million wierd shots where you just assumed it would overpenetrate to the ground but it came out differently than you thought and you bagged a second deer with the shot...

mattfootball834
12-02-2006, 08:39 PM
my question is how does this work if they were "back to back"