PDA

View Full Version : WEEK ONE HUNDRED-THREE :: How Can You Relieve The Stress From The Holidays?

the_fake_webmaster
11-22-2006, 06:02 PM
------------------------------------------------------------
* Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of each TOTW article) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!

TOPIC: How Can You Relieve The Stress From The Holidays?

For the week of: November 22nd - November 28th
Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Stress is not good for anyone and the holidays can be extremely stressful. Decorating, buying gifts, preparing home cooked meals for a family gathering, etc. are just some of the perks you get with the holidays. Unfortunately these stressful things could bring on the winter blues for some people.

How Can You Relieve The Stress From The Holidays?

What is your favorite part about the holidays?

What do you hate the most about the holidays?

Bonus: If the Holidays were not so commercialized do you think it would be less stressful? Please Explain.

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
Will
Webmaster
Bodybuilding.com

tjthetank
11-23-2006, 02:40 AM
i think having short holidays prevents stress, having a long holiday can cause you to stress when you have to get back to your normal routine (WORK..urghhh) but a bonus is you can start training again (YAY).

The best part of holidaying is seeing the different types of foods that you can try, nothing like finding a new way to eat protein.

Worst part is eating something new and having ur toilet as ur best friend for the next 4 days.

I think the more commercialized holidays are the more it strains one anothers relationships. The expectations it has and the amount of things that you need to do in a suitable amount of time may not fit everyones schedule and more importantly their budget. I think planning and organising your own holiday to fit your needs and more importantly to get what you want away from what you already have.

chicagoamfm
11-23-2006, 05:36 PM
* Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of each TOTW article) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!

TOPIC: How Can You Relieve The Stress From The Holidays?

For the week of: November 22nd - November 28th
Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

Stress is not good for anyone and the holidays can be extremely stressful. Decorating, buying gifts, preparing home cooked meals for a family gathering, etc. are just some of the perks you get with the holidays. Unfortunately these stressful things could bring on the winter blues for some people.

Bonus: If the Holidays were not so commercialized do you think it would be less stressful? Please Explain.

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
Will
Webmaster
Bodybuilding.com
The best way to relieve stress from the holidays is to think positive, not anything negative. Calm down, relax. Have some fun, thats what the holidays are all about. Stay away from the negatives. Try out some yoga, hang out with some friends and have a good time. Or help out around the house with the cooking. If you celebrate Thanksgiving, go to the store early in advance and buy a turkey for dinner so you don't have to later on. Do something you enjoy, go to a family restuarant or watch a movie after dinner. That's my favorite part of the holidays is enjoying them and spending time with the ones I love. What i also like to do is spend some quality time with my family. Do some work around the house and just help out the community and do some good deeds. All of these help relieve stress, especially around the holidays. I love to workout, it's also very important that you do this regularly during the holidays, as all that food will turn into just extra carrying storage around your body. Especially because working out regularly during the holidays doesn't slow you down when you are ready to start again. It will help you understand more about yourself in a different way not just physically. Or at least try to get some exercise in if you can since it's rather busy around that time of the year. Also because that's the time when humans start eating a lot. I do this because I start to gain weght and for most people it is hard to take off those extra slabs of fat rolls. This is why it is important, especially in people with high blood pressure. Working out can definitely help reduce stress levels even though the body is being put under a state of stress. Since I gain a lot of weight during the holidays i make sure I am eating right and working out on a daily routine. Well how can anyone be able to fit all that in their schedule during the busy holidays?

Well I have the answer to that. Try to minimize things down a bit. Do you really need that new desk if you just bought one last month. I mean come on, it's the commercials and the advertising that also makes you stressed out as well. I strongly believe in that the holidays are so commercialized, and that is what puts more stress on you telling your body come on and release the stress hormone. It's just fueling the fire that doesn't need to be fueled. Well, I hope you have learned something today and I hope this will help you realize that these things will help you alot in reducing stress levels on your body. This will benifet you a lot and help relieve stress on your body.

amt87
11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I work in retail accepted as the 7th level of Holiday hell so these are kind of personal tips for relief of Holiday stress.

1. Pause for 10 seconds and admire your hard work in the complete and total perfection of a merchandised unit. Turn away, completely push it out of your mind and don't even look back. We all know what will have happened in 5 mins. you may even cry a little

2. 10 minutes after closing time on Christmas Eve is the only time you can get away with telling a customer to get the f*ck out and if they really cared about the person that sweater is for they would have thought about it before now and not keeping 60 store employees from their Christmas.

3 Even if you feel depressed, act intolerably cheerful it'll drive others insane and be the constant source of entertainment you need to pick you up. "Oh my god I just love Christmas, stressed what ever do you mean, whats there to be stressed about" works wonders.

4. Go to the gym, In January it'll be packed and most of them will be idiots enjoy your space and time while you can. It'll give you license to use the line "What worry champagne and mince pies I just ran 10ks this morning actually think I might lose weight this year."

5. Flying somewhere? Just go ahead and expect to get delayed that way if you actually arrive on time it'll be a pleasant surprise.

6.Screw everyone else this year buy yourself a present and by the way it does not count as a present unless you wrap it and open it with great enthusiasm.

7. Use mistletoe as an excuse to skip right to the third date with that girl/guy you've been wanting to. If you waste this opportunity you'll only have to wait another year. They pull away, "Hey John get a load of that uptight b*tch I mean all in the fun of the holidays, bet she'll never get laid"

8.If it all gets too much and you can't face reality just call it a duvet day and don't leave the house. Don't even lie to people about why you never showed up to work, uni, social functions that's a sure fire way to feel guilty.

9. Buy a cheap bottle of champagne and do what you've always wanted to shake it at a Christmas party. Or buy an expense one and swap the labels

10. Get someone the ugliest sweater possible, Extra points if if feels like it's made of Asbestos present it to them like it's made of diamonds. Tell them you shopped for hours to find the perfect gift get them to put it on all the time telling them how great they look. Pull out a camera take a picture and burst out laughing and saying you can't believe they actually put it on.

My favorite part of the holidays. The fact that at 6 o'clock December 24th, I worked every Christmas eve last 4 years. We stop, the Christmas muzac comes off the intercom and the building that has been wall to wall shoving and pushing and yelling and not a second to think is like a grave yard. We just stare around at total devastation pull out alcohol and sweets and slump down on the floor and think damn another year. I wanted to strangled my self at least a hundred times but it's all over. We get really drunk on leftover stuff and end up having a mince pie fight or racing down an aisle on stock carts.

People whining about them pure and simple.

Yes and everyone says it, but what are we going to do about it. Do you really think the world will stop turning, we'll go back 70 years sit round a fire roasting chestnuts and give each other presents made out of pine cones. What's the point in whining about something that's not ever going to change. Take the non-commercialized happy moments you have found. Yes they still exist you just have to pause for a second slow down and look around.

Happy Holidays!

no_strain_no_ga
11-25-2006, 10:14 PM
We Wish You a Merry Christmas and a Panic Attack Aswell
Oh, how fun the holidays are! You get to spend time around the table eating your bundle of ham, yam, and rolls while chugging down the eggnog, but not forgetting about the apple pie that is warming itself up in the oven. Next morning you get to open all the presents that evryone got you, from the new PS3 to the sweater that grandma always gives you. But that is just after the weeks of figuring what to get your wife or your children or what to send Uncle Peter up in Alaska. Then all the driving from the malls and heading over to the nearest Best Buy to get the 5 remaining 46" Flat Screen TV. Then the night of wrapping everyone single present you got and writing "From:Santa" on them. It gets pretty stressful after all of this. But does it have to be this stressful? NO! And you know why? Because I have some tips on how to make this or next season alittle bit better on yourself.

So, you want to make the Holidays alittle bit relaxing for you? Well, you came to the right.........THREAD! Because I have some tips that will not make you break a sweat.

1.Be Prepared-Know what to get everyone. Don't wait at the last minute to ask all the relatives what they want. If you ask at the last minute then it will probably take another 2 to 3 days for them to come up with a answer. I say ask them before a month or 2 before December and write this all down. If they tell you to wait and they don't tell you what they want, ask them again. Don't be stressed out at the last second because little Jimmy didn't tell you that he wanted the new Batman doll at the last second and now there are none out there. Scout Motto=Be Prepared.

2. Buy in Advance-Know what everyone wants and buy waaaay before. Don't wait for or after Black Friday to get EVERYTHING. If you are waiting until Black Friday it better be a reason like you are buying something very expensive and waiting for the price to go down. But everything thing else should be bought before this. The longer you wait and buy everything you need, the less likely that particular thing you are looking for is still around. And Buying in advance gives you more of a spread-out time to buy everything and don't need to get everything in 2-3 weeks.

3.Spread things Out-Don't cram everything in a short peroid of time. Don't one thing at a time and wait to do the rest. Giving you extra time to do one thing and leaving the rest to do at a later time will give you more relief. Write out what you need to do and make a list when you are going to do each thing. I say do this about 3 moths out. So then you can change anything that might need to be changed and you know what to do.

4.Get some Extra Help-Don't try to do everything by yourself. Get your wife or children or even friends to help buy and wrap everything up. Offer them to help do theirs if they do yours. This will give you less stuff to worry about and more time to relax.

5.Take a Break-You don't need to be doing everything everyday. Take a weekend and just chill. Go to the park or beach and just enjoy the fresh air. Stay at home and read a book. Get out at night and dring a beer or two. Don't get caught up in all this Holday Madness. Stop, Breath, and Relax. This will amke you feel much better.

For me, the best part of the holidays is just spending time with the family. I will admit, I do like getting all the presents that I recieve, but spending time with the family is the best present of all. Mostly my grandparents come down from Minnesota and spend the holidays with us (not this year :( ) and we do everything when them, since I live in Florida and it doesn't snow :) . But spending and enjoying the holidays together is the best time. We have a fun and great time sitting together and just talking and passing a few laughs across the table. But as I said, I enjoy recieving the presnts. This year, I'm getting the PS#, hell yeah, and can't wait. I mostly get one big thing and then a couple medium and small things, but I'm getting a extra load of big things this year. Aswell as getting the PS3, I'm also getting a ticket to go to Australia this summer and I can't wait. Pretty much the best Christmas yet.

I will have to say that buying all the presents is the less favorite thing about the holidays. Although one of my rules says to ask everyone what they want before, I have never done that. I always wait and wait and then I ask and then I have to go out and try to get everything that everyone want. For my sisters, it is even worse. Because unlike your parents, you can get them perfume or a new watch or something like that, but for siblings, even harder when they are the oppposite sex, it is a pain in the butt. Because you have no idea what they want or what they like and if you get something and when they open it they go "Oh, I don't like this" it is a so tragic on yourself. Because you have to go back and get a refund and if you didn't keep your receipt, your screwed. Not so long ago, 3 or 4 years ago, I could had said that the ridiculous Christmas picture with Santa was the less favorite part of the holidays, but luckily that phase of life is over :)

I do believe that if the Holidays weren't so commercialized, it would be less stressful on me and everyone else. Because before it was just remembering the Birth of Jesus and then it developed to giving presents to one another. Then you had to decorate your house and put a christmas tree up and every year the presents get bigger and more expensive. Now the whole meaning of Christmas has changed and it is because how it is shown to society. If it wasn't so commercialized that you had to buy presents and have lights that can been seen from space around your house, yes the Holidays would be less stressful. Also, the less commercialized it was that you had to spend so much money on stuffs that you probably wouldn't need or last in another 3 years, then you could simply give the money to the needy and poor. Instead of buying canned food or clothing for a hungry family on the streets, we are buying our children Barbies or GI Joes that most likely well get destroyed by the head falling off or missing a arm. Most of these stuff can buy 2-3 cans of food. Something that wouldn't gp to waste. Although it wouldn't be a good Christmas that some people would say, it will probably make a family really happy and THANKFUL that someone cared for them in a very commercialized time of year.

Am I done? I think so. So I guess I am finally down typing and taliking about the Holidays and be one step closer to Christmas and another leap to the New Year. 2007, here I come!

-Mike Kramer

PS. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! HO HO HO

GetShredded
11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
The holidays are here Ė and for many, stress will be an unwelcome guest. University of Maryland psychology lecturer Dr. Thomas Capo says that holiday stress can be conquered by following some common sense tips that aim to help body, mind and pocketbook.

"Your quality of life need not be diminished because of holiday stress," says Capo.

Here are his 10 tips to reducing stress this holiday season:

1) The holiday season is a time when you are (or should be) able to kick back, relax, and enjoy the company of your loved ones and friends. So, the first tip is to simply relax and enjoy yourself and your family and friends. In order to enhance your enjoyment, here are some slightly more specific suggestions, categorized according to the area(s) of your life most likely to be affected.

Your Health
2) Stress happens. Over the short term, we can do a pretty good job of dealing with it. It's our body's normal response to the stressors in our environment. We can usually handle our stress over the short term. Trouble comes when the stress response is ongoing for an extended period of time. Then, our sleep can be disrupted, and we might put on some unwelcome weight. Most importantly, our immune system can become compromised when we're subjected to an extended period of stress. One thing we can do is set aside a little time each day to engage in some kind of stress-reducing activity. Anything that "calms us down" will do, whether it consists of reading, listening to music, yoga, meditation, or a hobby, etc.

3) Many of us have been guilty of overeating or drinking too much alcohol during the holidays. Try to eat right and avoid overdoing it with the booze. Either one can bring about sleep problems. It has been well-documented that not getting enough sleep causes your body to produce an excessive supply of stress hormone. A vicious cycle now begins, because the stress hormone can cause weight gain even if your caloric intake is not higher than normal. So you can put on weight, even though you were "trying to be good" about not overeating over the holidays.

4) Try your best to avoid being in a big rush to get wherever you're going (on any particular day) during this time of year. Again, you want to do the best you can to avoid a major increase in stress hormone levels.

Your Time
5) Plan ahead. Holidays happen at predictable times each year. The "plan ahead" advice also pertains to avoiding trouble at work. Avoid a huge pile-up of incomplete (but important) tasks at work by using good time-management techniques.

6) Stay connected, but not over-committed. The holidays are a great time to stay connected with family and friends. Getting together with loved ones and friends provides us with a great opportunity to relieve ourselves of some of our stress. Many of us, however, add to our stress levels by over-committing ourselves (and our loved ones) to social events this time of year. Do your best to avoid accepting every single invitation that comes your way.

Your Money
Here are a few tips to avoid both needing to rush to buy gifts and overspending both cash and credit:

7) Many of us have experienced getting swept up in a last-minute gift-buying frenzy, which takes a toll on our time and our pocketbook. The solution is to plan ahead. Gifts for many of the people on your list can be found during other times of the year (e.g., during the summer). You might see something that reminds you of a loved one or friend, and you might think, "What a perfect holiday gift for _____." If you get that gift now (even during the summer), you'll automatically reduce the number of folks you will need gifts for between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you take care of some gifts before the holidays draw very near, you'll be cutting down on the amount of time you spend looking for that perfect gift and standing in long lines at the post office (or UPS), driving around in search of an empty parking space, etc.

8) Assuming you've obtained many (or at least a few) of your gifts early, try to get them sent to their intended recipients early as well. Again, you'll be cutting down on the amount of time you spend standing in long lines at the post office or UPS.

9) Consider sending some of your gift recipients magazine subscriptions, instead of something more traditional. Sometimes, you can take care of several recipients all at once with this idea. And, you can do so with sufficient time for a card to arrive that tells each recipient that you're the one who bought the subscription.
10) If you've succeeded in taking care of your gift-giving obligations ahead of time, then you'll probably not be strapped for cash in those days right before the holidays. Of course, cash is always a welcome gift for the students on your list. In addition, you have not reached the limit on all your credit card(s). So, you have some wiggle room to handle what (in some parts of the country) are the inevitable emergency car repairs (e.g., replacing a dead battery, or a leaking radiator, or a failed water pump).

Mtguy8787
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's mine

bigcalves
11-28-2006, 11:41 PM

The holidays are a time for family. Itís that magical time of the year where you can relax and enjoy the company of your family. Thanksgiving kicks off the holidays and until the start of January everyone is involved in some way or another. Decorating the Christmas tree or packing the gifts or stuffing the turkey. All of these factors come with the holidays, and depending on where you live, you will get snow or cloudy weather that will add magic to your holiday mood. The holidays are a time to take time off to be thankful. To look around in your life and what you have achieved so far through the year and to analyze everything around you. Itís time to be thankful for your loved ones and friends.

Even thought the holidays bring us this cheer and excitements, most people find themselves overwhelmed and stressed out. Some people might be overwhelmed with the idea of buying all those gifts, or making sure that their house is properly decorated or it can be as simple as worrying how your going to make your diet work with all the cheat possibilities that grandma cooks. Everyone is different, but stress is common during the holidays. It can be brought to you from the stand point of financial reasons, or personal reasons. I personally am stressed out because I have to plan all these new events and things that will happen, especially in December, while all together keeping my busy workout schedule. This year specifically Iíll be cutting all through December which means that lifting and cardio will have to fit in together with all the holidays and all the family events. Thatís only one example of how people can be stressed out during this time of year.

RECOGNIZEÖ

As we already made it clear, stress will come with the holidays. Itís normal and nothing to be ashamed or worry about and make it worse. The first step to treating a problem is recognizing that there is one. So we made it clear that stress will come. You task is to think back to last year or the year before. Heck, you can think about five years ago. So, what made you stressful? Most people when they do this will find out that itís the same exact thing every single year that messes with you. It could be paying the bills while buying all these gifts for your family or it could being to stick to your diet because thereís fatty food at home. What ever that thing is, the first step is to mentally visualize it and be prepared for it.

SCHEDULE/PLAN AHEAD

After you have found out what worries you or makes you stressed out itís time to plan and see how you are going to handle it without stressing. This means you have to schedule your plan for the given amount of time. If you are like me, itís those 4 weeks in December that you have to worry about. What I do is the followingÖ I create a plan with all the goals that I need to finish before the holidays come. That includes buying gifts, buying the Christmas tree and buying all the groceries for the Christmas and thanksgiving dinner. After all, since I know that I have to do, all I have to do is follow a list step by step. Next, I plan all my workouts and cardio sessions. I take days off accordingly to the holidays. I just schedule my days around the holidays and not on them. After all, leg day wouldnít be a good idea on Christmas morning after a few cups of Eggnog.

TAKE YOUR TIME/ DONíT PANIC

Stress comes from rushing. So if you are always hurried and donít think you will be stressed out accordingly. After you plan ahead, your job is to take it day by day. Feel free to make adjustments to your schedule and that way you will be successful with your goals. If you have leg day on thanksgiving but you know you have to drive 3 hours to see your family, donít panic. Itís clear that you wonít be going to the gym on that day (unless you really hate your family lol). So instead of getting upset, go out for a 20 min jog in the morning and have a nice thanksgiving. Workout legs the next day, and take advantage of the carb load from the big dinner. After all holidays come along only once per year and itís pretty sad to miss them just because you poorly scheduled your month.

MAYBE SLOW DOWN?

Maybe you havenít taken a break from lifting in a while. It is actually beneficial to stop for a while and rest your body. If thatís you and you feel physically tired all the time, then the holidays will only make it worse. Sure it will get stressful, but if your already stressed from the month before you will be in trouble and might just blow. If thatís the case, just follow all the advise from above, except plan at least 2 weeks off. That means no lifting. If you are like me, those weeks are cruel and unusual punishment, and you easily get depressed. The way I would deal with it is staying busy with something. Maybe buy a new game for the dusty Xbox. That way you will be occupied without being depressed for the lack of the gym. You can also take advantage of all this free time and focus on gifts and all the holiday chores that are stressful. That way you will take one responsibility out and get another one in, which in return will allow you to stay balances without tipping the scale toward the Ďstressed out!í side.

SOME TIPS

-- Take the time to rest

-- Donít worry about rushing, by planning ahead and making a schedule

-- Take well deserved breaks from the gym

-- Stay motivated on your diet and donít loose shape of your routine

-- After all itís the holidays, so donít be too strict

-- Find a right balance that fits your lifestyle

-- Save extra $$$ before hand so you have funds to spoil yourself with

The holidays are full with excitement. Each holiday has a specific theme or lesson if you will. That gives you a chance to focus on your family or loved ones. Take thanksgiving and Christmas for example. Both holidays make you thankful about who you are surrounded with. After all, humans are social creatures, and the holiday season is all about recognizing that and being thankful and respectful towards one another. Each holidays comes in with a special food theme. You get the chance to eat good foods that are especially made for that holiday. Turkey on thanksgiving and ham on Christmas are some of the traditions that my and many other families share. Itís something about the holidays that makes the food extra special and the theme magical. Turkey tastes like turkey, but on thanksgiving it has an extra special taste. It might be because you know millions of people are eating it and thatís what you are supposed to be doing or it might be the magic of the holidays.

Personally, I take the holidays season in stride. I donít freak out and stress that much. I take the time to realize everything around my life. Just stop and smell the flowers I guess. I look around the people around me and I realize how lucky I am. Also I tend to take measurements of my body and compare it to last years and see how well I improved and what I need to push extra in the gym. Itís a great time to say ĎSTOPí to everything around you, analyze it, correct the mistakes and do better for next year.

The holiday season for me is pretty chill. I usually enjoy every aspect of it. The only things that are bad that I think of is the financial aspect of it. Everybody expects you to give them something. Now this can be a good thing because you will get things, but itís not easy to say hey I canít give you anything because Iím low on cash this month. And when you have at least 20 people you have to Ďcoverí for you are financially rocked during the holidays. I hate the expectation about gifts and how you are supposed to give something in order to be Ďokayí or be normal in the holiday season. I guess not everybody has this problem but college students can agree that the holiday season is stressful just because of this major factor that a lot of people face.

I think that the only reason why the holidays are so stressful is because they are commercialized. Itís the feeling of Ďyou have toí that gets most people. It could be buying gifts and spending a lot of money because that what Ďyou have to doí, or it could be buying certain things that you donít even care about anymore such as Christmas style plates or thanksgiving design napkins just because the TV says that Ďyou have toí. I think that people are so stressed because they feel like they have to reach a certain standard for the holidays that the media portrays. But hey thatís how money are made. Our job is the realize that and plan ahead. After all, commercialized or not, the holidays are a great time filled with excitement, good mood, joy, and that magical feeling. It's time for family and tradition.

Have a great holiday season!

bigcalves
11-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Good luck to all this week! :)