PDA

View Full Version : Arrows

Achilles_
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
What do you guys think, carbon or aluminum? While we are at it whats a good broadhead?

guest89
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Carbon Arrows, Spitfire broadheads (For Deer at least, bigger game might want something else for a broadhead). The Spitfires put a fist sized exit wound :D.

Geno
11-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Carbon arrows - the best you can afford and G5 broadheads. I won't use an expandable because I've seen them fail too many times and they're useless on anything really tough like big hogs or bear. With a really high quality fixed three blade you can hunt anything, anytime, anywhere and they will last forever (the flimsey fixed blades won't and the mechs won't last but one shot). After you blow them through a big old bear you just resharpen them (very simple and easy) and you're ready to go again.

Achilles_
11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Carbon arrows - the best you can afford and G5 broadheads. I won't use an expandable because I've seen them fail too many times and they're useless on anything really tough like big hogs or bear. With a really high quality fixed three blade you can hunt anything, anytime, anywhere and they will last forever (the flimsey fixed blades won't and the mechs won't last but one shot). After you blow them through a big old bear you just resharpen them (very simple and easy) and you're ready to go again.

Whats the preferred G5 broadhead? Ive been looking at them already and like em. Ill go with the carbon arrows as well.

Geno
11-22-2006, 02:18 PM
G5 Montec is probably the best screw in broadhead ever made. The weight is dependant upont your needs. I use the 100grain because I want the maximum speed from my rig but guys who hunt big boned game often go for a heavier setup (heavier arrow and broadhead) with the 125 or 140 grain heads. Weight is just personal preference to me - I don't see a significant difference in performance between any of the different weights. Much more important is a strong broadhead that won't bend or break when buried in bone and then carried a hundred yards at a full run by a pissed off hog or bear. I've had the big guys break a carbon shaft occasionally but I have never lost a woodsman or a g5 montech to breakage or had one fail. I use wensel woodsman broadheads too (a nostalgia thing) but they are kind of a pain in the ass. You have to keep them properly aligned on the glue in screw adapter, they will rust on you in a heartbeat and once they rust up pretty bad it's almost impossible to match the weight on a set of them.

My setup is pricey but I like them - Gold Tip camo pro hunters (I buy the shafts full length and have my archery shop cut and fletch them - they can get the weight consistant within a few grains) with a left hand spiral fletched sheild feather (black cock and white/black barred hen) and 100 grain g5 montec. You could save some money if needed by going with a less expensive shaft and fletching but the broadhead is the most important aspect of the projectile.