PDA

View Full Version : bicycle headlight

mopedman
11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I was wanting to get into some night mountain biking and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a headlight that will allow me to see well in front of me when I ride so I can still ride safely. Thanks for any suggestions

Mtguy8787
11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
I like to ride at night sometimes, too.

If you have a light, it will help you to see directly in front, but it will blind you to things around you, or right to the side of the beam.

You will have alot better visibility if you wait till there is a clear sky, and full. near full moon out. That is much better than a light.

ARracer
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
There are a ton of alternatives you could choose from (and your decision would be based primarily on how much night riding you want to do, and your budget).

Look on the Performance Bike and/or Nashbar websites (both sites sell all things bike related) for lighting alternatives.

Some of my friends have Nightrider headlights - good but expensive. I'm an Adventure Racer (so do a lot of night riding) and I'm cheap. Riding at night I have 2 Cats Eye EL500's attached to my handlebars and a Petzl Myo-XP headlamp attached to my helmet. They get me through.

Again - a lot depends on your budget, how much night riding you want to do, and how technical the trails are. If speed is not an issue you can go with something similar to the setup I have for about $150.

The poster above is right though - stuff out there can look pretty funky at night. Go very slow the first few times - you get used to night riding pretty quickly but there are some real safety issues attached to night riding. Depth perception changes. Shadows make everything look weird. Obstacles on the trail can be hard to see and avoid. Wear clear eye-wear to protect yourself from low-lying branches.

Mafia_Prince
11-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Some dirt bikes and most motorcycles come with headlights.......my bad you wanted cheaper options.

QUALITYGUY1
11-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Take your pick here:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm

Just type in "headlight' in the search area and you will get 23 to choose from.
I order from Nashbar regularly, they are dependable.