PDA

View Full Version : Can I install new electronics in my boat by myself?

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Okay... So I picked up my boat from the dealership on Friday, (I had them winterize it for me.)

Over the winter I'm planning on buying a good GPS depth finder Combo with Lake Master chip etc...

The boat came with a chimpy POS lowrance X-25.

What I want to do is take the X-25, and move it up front, so that whoever is running the trolling motor has a Depth gauge, so I don't have to call out depth from the cockpit all the time.

Then install the GPS/Finder on a Ram arm on my console.

So I asked the guy at the dealership what that would cost me... He said I'd have to drop my boat off with him in February in order to have it back by mid April and it's going to cost me $300 in labor.

These numbers seem unacceptable to me...

So I've been looking into doing it myself.

I found an Eagle Unit that will be in my post-christmas price range.
There's two varriations, one with Internal Antenna for the GPS, one for external antenna. I've been told by two different sources that one is bad and the other is good... Anyone here have a third oppinion?

I talked with a guy at a Sportsman's Warehouse, who told me I could do it myself, and kind of walked me through it.

He told me that I would simply have to take apart the back deck, front deck and Starboard gunnel. (No Problem, that's just backing out screws in the right order...

Then I note how the power and Transducer line from the X-25 old unit runs...

Take the X-25's guts out...

Mount the X-25 to the front deck... Run the transducer line down the shaft of the Trolling motor with Zip Ties, and secure this metal bracket thing to the butt of my trolling motor... Which the X-25 Transducer then attaches to.

Then finally just run the power line back and hitch it into the fuse box under the console.

Then I take the Eagle GPS, and run all of it's wire's exactly in the same path that I noted from when I took the X-25 out, and simply put the new transducer in the old transducer's bracket off the back, using the same gasget.

Now all this sounds feasible and within the confines of me and my buddies skill level.

But this is all just "On Paper."

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some "Real Life Experience" on the issue.
I'm about to get engaged and the next year of my life I have to plan my finances very carefully, so I'm trying to come up with a Master plan way in advance.

Thanks Bros!

fitnessman
11-13-2006, 08:25 AM
No problems man..It's cake really. Running the wire is a pain is all. I would run both transduces off the back though..The zip tie idea works okayish, but in the long run you are better to have the duces off the back.

Go with a Garmin GPS/Finder money well spent.

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 08:58 AM
No problems man..It's cake really. Running the wire is a pain is all. I would run both transduces off the back though..The zip tie idea works okayish, but in the long run you are better to have the duces off the back.

Go with a Garmin GPS/Finder money well spent.

Thanks Bro...

Couple of questions...

#1. I thought Eagle and Garmin were the Same Company, and the product lines were just like Ford and Mercury etc...

#2. Which do you think is better, the Internal GPS antenna, or the External.
I was told that the Internal is better as it's "All in one." But then was also told that the external was better because if the GPS antenna wears out gets damaged etc... That you then only have to send in the antenna, and not the whole unit.

#3. I'd thought about mounting both transducers off the back... But can I run them through the same gasgeted hole? Or do I have to make another hole in the boat. (Something I'm not comfortable with my skill level handling.)

#4. If I do run them both off the back of the boat, will they interfere with each other if they're too close?

Budweiser
11-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Only way to learn is by trial and error.

fitnessman
11-13-2006, 09:04 AM
1. Didn't know that :confused:

2. External ONLY way to go!

3. New holes..You get used to bro. 100% Silicone is your friend..never had a leak (I know it's scary the first time).

4. Maybe...I have heard of this, but never had an issue..Hell my charter capt friend runs like 8 ducers off his boat.

http://www.anythinggps.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=65

Best priced one ^^ and good unit..I LOVE Mine :D

Ya'll READY FOR ICE!!!!!! :D

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 09:22 AM
1. Didn't know that :confused:

2. External ONLY way to go!

3. New holes..You get used to bro. 100% Silicone is your friend..never had a leak (I know it's scary the first time).

4. Maybe...I have heard of this, but never had an issue..Hell my charter capt friend runs like 8 ducers off his boat.

http://www.anythinggps.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=65

Best priced one ^^ and good unit..I LOVE Mine :D

Well I guess they are different companies... I'd been told differently...

I'd been looking at: http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Combo/FishElite642C.htm

Yeah it is a scary proposition to think about drilling a new hole in the boat...

One issue I run into there though, is that I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the current amout of transducer cable that is running from the X-25 to the transducer on the back doesn't have a friendly spool of slack inside the compartments of my boat... Meaning that for me to move it to the front and use the same transducer, it means that I'd have to buy, hook up and run a new transducer cable. (How bad is this, price and skill difficulty wise?)

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 09:30 AM

Oh God I am chomping at the bit to get out on the ice...

Two Saturdays ago I spent 2 hours just hanging out at Sportsman's Warehouse, because I was bored and needed something to do.

This past weekend my buddy came up and we spent 4 hours just shopping for Ice Fishing gear.

I've known him for 25 years... For years now he's been battling a Metabolic disorder that has him eating 3000+ cals a day just to stay at 6'2" 125 pounds. But in the last two years or so this "Bizare wasting disease" has just sort of stopped, and he's been getting "Normal."

So all these things that us healthy able bodied guys can do, he's starting to join us and get into. (I promised his mom and wife that I'd make sure nothing happens to him, as he's still quite frail and sickly.)

He sold his X-box last week for the money to buy Ice Fishing gear.

So we watched this Promo Video that comes with the 2007 In-Fisherman Ice Guide... And he fell in love with these two pimpin' Genz rods, Added spring Bobbers and this "Jig Up" Automated Tip-up thing.

We're going to take him out on December 10th (Assuming the ice is cooperating) and we're going to go hit Mille Lacs.

He tried all year to catch a Walleye and couldn't get on in the boat, so I'm going to try to get him a walleye to put a twinkle in his eye before 2006 comes to a close.

fitnessman
11-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Well I guess they are different companies... I'd been told differently...

I'd been looking at: http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Combo/FishElite642C.htm

Yeah it is a scary proposition to think about drilling a new hole in the boat...

One issue I run into there though, is that I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the current amout of transducer cable that is running from the X-25 to the transducer on the back doesn't have a friendly spool of slack inside the compartments of my boat... Meaning that for me to move it to the front and use the same transducer, it means that I'd have to buy, hook up and run a new transducer cable. (How bad is this, price and skill difficulty wise?)

Ahhh..if you don't have enough cable..Go with the zip tie idea. It works, just not as pretty.

Is that Tip Up the one where the wind moves the jig. I was having Testosterone issues with mine and shoved it down the hole last year..Buddies still get a laugh out of that one :D

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Ahhh..if you don't have enough cable..Go with the zip tie idea. It works, just not as pretty.

Is that Tip Up the one where the wind moves the jig. I was having Testosterone issues with mine and shoved it down the hole last year..Buddies still get a laugh out of that one :D

Nope... Battery Powered...

It's a new product that was introduced at the end of last year's Ice Season...

I want to say it's made by Nature Vision or Clam, but I can't say that's 100% correct.

2 Cold Weather D cells "Supposedly" run it for 12 hours... So $5 for 4 Batteries... If it catches you 1 Eater pike per $12 it's probably worth the battery burn cost... And I'm sure if we go through the full 24 hours and all the batteries without a fish, then I'm sure he'll have "Testosterone Problems."

Funny that you mention it though... My Girl barely knew her Dad, raised in a house full of women, even though she was a tom boy etc...

But she has no real exposure to living with a man... One of our big disagreements is when I have "Testosterone Problems."

She wasn't aware that when you bash your thumb with a hammer, or have an extention cord get snaggled up under the bed, that a guy can do some cussing.

Funny story...

Back in June I was running new wires in the bedroom at her request. (I've given her free reign to redecorate and rearrange most of my house to feel more like her own.

So I'm running all these wires and cords under the bed for her and she's standing on the other side of the room... Cord gets caught up... I'm wrestling with it and 3 other interesting rat nests... I feel "A Testosteron Problem" surging up in me, and I say to the cord "You stupid Sonuvabitch, WTF is wrong with you... Goddam Bastard!"

With a good jerk I pull it free... I stand up, and there she is with a quivering lip... And says "Please don't talk like that to me okay?"

The whole time she thought I was talking to her... Never occured to her that I was cussing at the cord.

I swear it took me six weeks before she finally accepted that swearing at inanimate objects was a viable technique for accomplishing difficult tasks!
:D

One More Time
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Nainoa,

I think that you could install it yourself. I know that I have done some installs on my boats (back when I had them) and it wasn't too bad. Plus, you have the satisfaction of knowing THAT IT WAS DONE RIGHT, lol. Get a beer (or 12) and one of your buddies that likes to talk to help (time will fly while he talks...lol). Just don't cut any wires until you get them labeled or know what they are (my boats often had the same color wires)

Budweiser
11-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Funny story...

Back in June I was running new wires in the bedroom at her request. (I've given her free reign to redecorate and rearrange most of my house to feel more like her own.

So I'm running all these wires and cords under the bed for her and she's standing on the other side of the room... Cord gets caught up... I'm wrestling with it and 3 other interesting rat nests... I feel "A Testosteron Problem" surging up in me, and I say to the cord "You stupid Sonuvabitch, WTF is wrong with you... Goddam Bastard!"

With a good jerk I pull it free... I stand up, and there she is with a quivering lip... And says "Please don't talk like that to me okay?"

The whole time she thought I was talking to her... Never occured to her that I was cussing at the cord.

I swear it took me six weeks before she finally accepted that swearing at inanimate objects was a viable technique for accomplishing difficult tasks!
:D
If I would have said that to my Fiance she would give me a swift kick to the balls. Then asked if I was talking to her :)

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Nainoa,

I think that you could install it yourself. I know that I have done some installs on my boats (back when I had them) and it wasn't too bad. Plus, you have the satisfaction of knowing THAT IT WAS DONE RIGHT, lol. Get a beer (or 12) and one of your buddies that likes to talk to help (time will fly while he talks...lol). Just don't cut any wires until you get them labeled or know what they are (my boats often had the same color wires)

Yeah I've got two buddys who have already volunteered to help me do it...

One is my Ice Fishing partner who's a construction mechanic, the other is the guy wasting away from the metabolic disorder who's got like 4" wrists, attached to spindly, 3 foot long arms... Guy was just made for running wires through confined spaces!
LOL!

The best part... I remembered my Future Mother-in-Laws Birthday, all on my own... Which impressed her so much that she is now letting me store my boat in her workshop/shed... Which is easily heated for "Project weekends."

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Okay...

So I made up this little image diagram to make sure I understand the Trolling motor mounting situation correctly...

I've color coded things to make it easier...

So I put this thing that looks essentially like a giant pipe clamp, around the nose of the trolling motor in front of the shaft... The Transducer mounts to the bottom of it... I run the Ducer cord up the clamp and up the shaft.

Once it reaches the nose of my boat, I make sure to leave excess slack for turning the trolling motor, so I don't lose my 360 degree turning radius.

And I just make sure that my trolling motor never bottoms out (Which I'd have bigger problems than just the transducer getting damaged) And live with the fact that as I pick up any weeds on the old Minnkota that it will foul up the Transducer.

(Hmmm... FM, I'm starting to see more and more the value of mounting a second position on the back of the boat!)

fitnessman
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Yah man that exactly how you do it (assuming the fin does not get in the way).

I never cared for this way because I am not gentle with my trolling motor. I keep a good stock of shear pins in the boat :D

BTW: Still haven't put my boat to sleep yet..Should get at least two more Steelhead trips in before Ice Up..In Between Duck/Goose and Deer hunting!

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Yah man that exactly how you do it (assuming the fin does not get in the way).

I never cared for this way because I am not gentle with my trolling motor. I keep a good stock of shear pins in the boat :D

BTW: Still haven't put my boat to sleep yet..Should get at least two more Steelhead trips in before Ice Up..In Between Duck/Goose and Deer hunting!

We already have lakes skimming with ice at night...

I just heard an ice report that my favorite Musky Lake (Not that I caught any Musky out of it) At dawn this morning only half of the main basin was open water... All bays and part of the main basin had a skim of ice... And my Buddy who's family cabin is 3 hours north of me, had 2 inches of ice just out from shore at the little 200 acre crappie lake near by...

And I woke up with an inch of snow on my lawn.

So we're reaching a point now where open water fishing just isn't going to happen...

I wore my carhart jacket and Ice Armor gloves to work today just to break them in and get in the mood.

One More Time
11-13-2006, 03:05 PM
O

Once it reaches the nose of my boat, I make sure to leave excess slack for turning the trolling motor, so I don't lose my 360 degree turning radius.

Also, be sure to install with the trolley motor down in the "fishin' position" too. They take less cord when still on the mount....I am not really sure how I know this one..lol

I had my transducer mounted like that too but the clamp kept scratching the front of my trolley motor mount. I bought a transducer with temperature display and one of these....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1212&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

It stopped the scratching....I think I am too picky..lol :(

One More Time
11-13-2006, 03:09 PM
In Between Duck/Goose and Deer hunting!

Went to Oak Ridge here in TN last weekend. Was sick on Sunday morning with a fever :mad:. My buddy went and saw a 10point walk right out the area that I was hunting on Sat. :mad:.

Nainoa
11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Also, be sure to install with the trolley motor down in the "fishin' position" too. They take less cord when still on the mount....I am not really sure how I know this one..lol

I had my transducer mounted like that too but the clamp kept scratching the front of my trolley motor mount. I bought a transducer with temperature display and one of these....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1212&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

It stopped the scratching....I think I am too picky..lol :(

Yeah I forsee some problem that I'll have with all the excess cable... So that will probably turn interesting...

I'm still holding out for FM's solution of mounting the Transducer on the back as well, but that's contingent on if they left some spare wire in there to do it with.

There's a chance... They used too much fuel line, and I had a kinked line my first time taking it out.

Nainoa
11-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Just figured I'd share with you guys...

It's official... Last night I popped the question and she said Yes...

She was totally surprised!

When she picked out the ring back in August, I knew how important it was that she get the "Surprise" factor. Didn't want to just hand her over a ring when she knew it was coming...

So I've been playing off this whole "I'm broke because of my Student Loans, and well baby I need to buy ice fishing gear."

Last night I took her out to the restaurant we had our first Date at... Had a Lovely meal... For dinner convo, I did the old "Stroll down memory lane" over the 12 years we've known each other. (Well technically we had a crush on each other in 8th grade, when she switched schools) but that doesn't count.

We did the whole reflection and nostalgia thing... Which thankfully the topic held... I mentioned that I've been teaching the pets some simple tricks.

Then we stopped off because she wanted to pick up some DVD's. (She's an avid Movie collector.)

We picked up the DVD... Went home to watch them... While she set up the DVD in the bedroom I went and got her favorite Ferrett. She (Well I guess "We") have two ferretts along with two cats.

I made a quick little yarn necklace for the Ferrett to wear the ring... Spent five minutes coaxing the little bugger into wearing it... Then I had to pin his little arms to his side to keep him from wrestling the ring off.

When she was in position, I came in and said "Hey baby, you wanna see the trick I've been teaching Theo (The Ferrett.)."

She turned around, I dropped down onto one knee, presenting the ferrett, and said "I've been teaching him how to wear a necklace with an engagement ring... I was hoping you would do me the honor of marrying me..."

She said yes... Started crying... Hugging, kissing, snot dribbling all that good jazz. The I added... "Or we could always let him keep the necklace... I think he's getting into Gangsta Rap, and could use some bling."

For more info... I have kind of been keeping a thread in the Relationship Forum about it...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=943393

fitnessman
11-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Awesome man!!

Are Ferrets good Musky bait? :D

Nainoa
11-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Awesome man!!

Are Ferrets good Musky bait? :D

LOL... Nah...

Sure the little buggers do drive me crazy some days as they love trashing the living room, but it's just par for the course of sharing a lifestyle with someone.

It's great though watching the endless mind games that my two mondo sized cats play with the ferretts...

Cats are territorial... Ferretts are social... So giant 12+ pound Cat comes into the room... Ferrett runs up to play... Cat bats it in the head 50 times fast... Ferrett backs off... Cat lays down to claim the room... Ferrett runs up and bites the cat in the ass, and a hillarious chase ensues.

Then later in the night the Ferretts go in their cage... Cat walks into the room, and make a point of sprawling out on the floor right infront of the ferrett cage as a reminder that she is free and they are not!

Though in a year, assuming I get this damn promotion, I'm going to buy a suitable house for starting a family (Rather than my crappy bachelor shack) And I'm going to get the German Shepherd I've been wanting, and all four of the fuzzy creatures living in my house can discover the true king!

One More Time
11-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Congrats on your upcoming funer....er marriage...lol. j/k. Nothing like a woman who lets (yes, I said let...lol) her man indulge in outdoor hobbies. I wouldn't take anything for mine.

Nainoa
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Congrats on your upcoming funer....er marriage...lol. j/k. Nothing like a woman who lets (yes, I said let...lol) her man indulge in outdoor hobbies. I wouldn't take anything for mine.

LOL... Yeah not to mention, if you checked out that other thread, about two weeks ago she said to me... "Why don't you finish your Rack Pulls, and I'll make you a chicken sandwhich!"

I mean c'mon... What more can I ask for...

Sure I'm going to at some point go through a 5 year stint, when we first start a family, where I'm not really going to be able to get away on fishing trips.

But that's a small price to pay really...

I mean I think of the times my Dad and I had... Sitting high in the rocky mountains, watching the sunset...

And then to think say 5-8 years from now, my boy (Or Girl) sitting on my lap on the front deck of my boat, a calm summer night, watching the sun set into all of it's amber hues.

Then 5 years later, we'll spend a summer building our own custom wheel house for ice fishing...

Somewhere in their I plan to build a family cabin, that even though houses might be sold, it can stay in the family for generations...

Pictures of my parents, her parents, and the generations to come hanging from the walls.

I guess you could say that as an only child from a long line of blue collar people, that I've got a real desire to set up a family with roots...

My family has been in this country for 4 Generations... 4 Generations born into poverty... Working their fingers to the bone, so that the next generation could live a little better.
I just need to increase my yearly income by 5K and my child will be the first member of my family to be born "Economically" middle class.

Each generation barely knew their fathers... My Dad and I got it half right... I intend to get it right for once...

Budweiser
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Congrats! do you know when the wedding is?

Nainoa
11-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Congrats! do you know when the wedding is?

Right now we're targeting some time in early September 2007.

Her mother is known about this for 2 weeks now, and surprisingly hasn't muttered a peep... They were getting together today for lunch, so I'd imagine when I get home there will be a pile of paper and ideas already waiting for me to look over!

LOL!

E

Budweiser
11-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Right now we're targeting some time in early September 2007.

Her mother is known about this for 2 weeks now, and surprisingly hasn't muttered a peep... They were getting together today for lunch, so I'd imagine when I get home there will be a pile of paper and ideas already waiting for me to look over!

LOL!

E
Good luck man, I know ALOT of the final things will need to be done at the last minute with decorating, flowers and all the stuff. Luckily my fiance is the first daughter to get married so my future mother in law is very excited to plan and very willing to pay for it. All's I know about the wedding is that I need to be at the church at 12:30 on the 16th.

I am also pumped about the honeymoon. Going to the Lutsen area for some skiing (cross-country and downhill) ice skating, dog sledding, hot tubing, and sexing! I just gotta be careful with my ole banged up left knee (dont need a trip to the ER)

But if she every nags you about not helping with the wedding just tell her "Honey, this is the only wedding that you will ever have. I don't want to take anything away from you, i know how important this is to you for it to go perfect." Then you can sit down and watch the game.

If you are a bowhunter don't get married on the weekend of opener!

Nainoa
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Good luck man, I know ALOT of the final things will need to be done at the last minute with decorating, flowers and all the stuff. Luckily my fiance is the first daughter to get married so my future mother in law is very excited to plan and very willing to pay for it. All's I know about the wedding is that I need to be at the church at 12:30 on the 16th.

I am also pumped about the honeymoon. Going to the Lutsen area for some skiing (cross-country and downhill) ice skating, dog sledding, hot tubing, and sexing! I just gotta be careful with my ole banged up left knee (dont need a trip to the ER)

But if she every nags you about not helping with the wedding just tell her "Honey, this is the only wedding that you will ever have. I don't want to take anything away from you, i know how important this is to you for it to go perfect." Then you can sit down and watch the game.

If you are a bowhunter don't get married on the weekend of opener!

LOL...

Yeah for me at an elk like 6'4" with 5 knee injuries under my belt. (2 Dislocations and 3 buckles) Skiing is something that's on my No-No list for life.

She's not super tight with this whole planning thing, so I know I'm going to have to step in and pitch in... I'm fine with that... (As long as it doesn't cut into my fishing time!) LOL! I actually prefer to have a more involved role, so I don't get stuck doing a bunch of crap I'm uncomfortable with when the time comes!
;)

I sort of Herded the timing for Early to Mid September, because other than some turn over fishing, I don't do much in September... I'm going to start Deer hunting next year (Time provided) but other than that Early fall is a down time for me.

I also picked it because my birthday is in late August, so I can combo up my bachelor party into a Musky fishing extravaganza, if I stay local... Or I can take advantage of the transition bite if I decide to go with a Canadian Fly-In Walleye trip.

Just think, while you're getting Married I'll be sitting in a Clam 1060 portable on Mille Lacs, over the Indian Point gravel bars, pulling up Walleye on the early ice bite, drinking beer.

Budweiser
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Just think, while you're getting Married I'll be sitting in a Clam 1060 portable on Mille Lacs, over the Indian Point gravel bars, pulling up Walleye on the early ice bite, drinking beer.
Don't remind me. I'll maker up to Reno at least once this winter, gonna try twice.

Nainoa
11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Don't remind me. I'll maker up to Reno at least once this winter, gonna try twice.

Reno is nice and all (Never Ice Fished it) But if you're going to have a "Must Do" list for ice fishing, then Mille Lacs has to be on the list. Driving distance shouldn't be all that different for where you're coming from.

I'm hitting Mille Lacs 3-5 times this winter... I'm still working out the details of spending a 3 day on the ice for new years.

Budweiser
11-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Reno is nice and all (Never Ice Fished it) But if you're going to have a "Must Do" list for ice fishing, then Mille Lacs has to be on the list. Driving distance shouldn't be all that different for where you're coming from.

I'm hitting Mille Lacs 3-5 times this winter... I'm still working out the details of spending a 3 day on the ice for new years.
Yeah Mille Lacs is nice. I went up there about 4 years ago. About 6 of us stayed in a sleeper on the ice for 3 days. Didn't really catch a whole lot, maybe 2 walleye per day per person?

We left our lines in the water overnight and we caught one one night, scares the **** out of you when you are sleeping/passed out and the bell starts ringing because there is a "fish on!" So much fun but could've been better if we had brought a portable so we could've moved around some during the day.

I would like to make it up to do some lake trout ice fishing some time. I actually don't even know if the lake trout season is open during the winter. Maybe I'll sneak out during the honeymoon and hit up some of the BWCA!

Nainoa
11-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah Mille Lacs is nice. I went up there about 4 years ago. About 6 of us stayed in a sleeper on the ice for 3 days. Didn't really catch a whole lot, maybe 2 walleye per day per person?

We left our lines in the water overnight and we caught one one night, scares the **** out of you when you are sleeping/passed out and the bell starts ringing because there is a "fish on!" So much fun but could've been better if we had brought a portable so we could've moved around some during the day.

I would like to make it up to do some lake trout ice fishing some time. I actually don't even know if the lake trout season is open during the winter. Maybe I'll sneak out during the honeymoon and hit up some of the BWCA!

Well I don't know much about the trout season... But considering I read an artical about some great trout fishing out of some obscure bay in Lake Superior the other night, I would have to say that yes it's legal.

This year our master plan for Mille Lacs... We have a sleeper, that my Buddy's friend lets us use. (He stuck in Ohio for the next 15 months.)

So we stay in the sleeper/ice camper... But then we're keeping the portable on us... I'm going to monitor the Mille Lacs reports... So we take the portable where the hot bite is, and then use the sleeper as base camp.

Still Renting a sleeper, you kind of get what you pay for, both in quality of sleeper and how dedicated they are to put you on the fish...

From what I've heard the perfect marriage of the two is out of Lybacks resort, as they often put you on the south end gravel bars.

SEGB's can be a little tricky though as it's a part of the lake prone to Ice Heaves that shoot out of all those south end bays.

AlbinoGerbil
11-16-2006, 02:36 PM

Congrats man.

Nainoa
11-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Damn is this thread just all over the place topic wise...

Boat Electronics, Marriage and Ice fishing, all in one click!

LOL!

But really it all makes sense..

I mean with a properly wired GPS in my boat, next fall I'll be able to mark waypoints on the weedlines of all my favorite lakes, which I can then use to get on the hot bite during ice fishing, which will help me de-stress from the rigors of my career, making me more amiable at home, and thus improve the quality of my marriage!

Now where's Elton John and that circle of life song from the lion king when I need it!

LOL!

AlbinoGerbil
11-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Damn is this thread just all over the place topic wise...

Boat Electronics, Marriage and Ice fishing, all in one click!

LOL!

But really it all makes sense..

I mean with a properly wired GPS in my boat, next fall I'll be able to mark waypoints on the weedlines of all my favorite lakes, which I can then use to get on the hot bite during ice fishing, which will help me de-stress from the rigors of my career, making me more amiable at home, and thus improve the quality of my marriage!

Now where's Elton John and that circle of life song from the lion king when I need it!

LOL!

Good way to put it all together.
You have to make time for the things you like. Took me some time to convince my wife of that....fact is I'm still working on it. :D

Nainoa
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Good way to put it all together.
You have to make time for the things you like. Took me some time to convince my wife of that....fact is I'm still working on it. :D

I had two LT relationships before my current one, where right off the bat, I was all about the girl, and put my stuff on the side... Then that honeymoon period ends and you want to go back to being who you are, and she feels like you're losing interest... Which causes all kinds of drama.

My "Fiance" and I have known each other for 12+ years, so she already knew me before we got into things... But I made sure she understood that I had passions outside of her, right from day one...

And then I demonstrate constantly that she is still the #1 entity in my life, and go out of my way to balance her with my 3 F's... Fishing, Football and Fitness.

I think a lot of guys take on this attitude of "It just takes the right woman to make me happy." And I think I finally learned "That it takes the proper kind of maturity out of a man to keep the ball rolling."

One thing I told her, was that a Guy needs "Guy Time."

For thousands of years we were hunters and warriors... And while the sexual revolution has put everything on an even keel, and men are bigger contributors to the family dynamic... It still doesn't mean that we've just become women with dicks...

Taking a man... (A Good Man) and making him sit at home watch TV and do his chores day in and day out, without being able to get in touch with that old warrior male that lies deep within... Is like hanging the Mona Lisa in the men's room at a truck stop... or using a thorough bred horse for the pony rides at the county fair... It's nothing short of defiling a thing of beauty.

I think a good man finds a way to balance all of those things... And a good woman understands that a part of him will never be a "House Plant."