PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from Mule Deer hunt in NM

Snoopis
11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I never even saw a buck. :(

Really though, I had a GREAT time, can't wait for next year. We set-up camp at about 9300ft in the mountains and stayed there for a couple days. Saw a doe and a couple elk, but no bucks. We moved to another area on the third night, in a huge valley at 9100ft. Heard a deer once but never saw it, and saw a beautiful coyote. If I had a license for it, that coyote would have been a dead. He ran up within about 60yds of me before he turned off into the woods.

The last afternoon we packed up, then drove to yet another spot and hunted until sunset. We were creeping up a hill and spooked a few deer, but only saw the doe as she bounded into the woods.

We had a full moon the whole time, so I know that hurt our chances.

We actually had 5 days to hunt, but only hunted 3. Why? Because hiking around in the mountains with a 10lb rifle and a 15-20lb backpack(guessing) for 3 days wore my ass out!

Hopefully I can post a few pictures soon. I didn't take very many though, I already had a ton of gear with me and didn't want to drag a 35mm along with me.

max lift
11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
sounds like an awesome time ,

We where out looking for white tail two weeks ago and came across a crap load of mule deer with some of the largest racks I have seen but my tag was for white tail ,

I finally got one after 3 days of looking its at the butchers as I type.

House72
11-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Better luck next time, Get a lighter gun. Dam 10 lbs, what are using a RPG..

Snoopis
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Better luck next time, Get a lighter gun. Dam 10 lbs, what are using a RPG..

LOL, close enough. It's a Remington 700VSF with a Leupold Mark4 LRT (4.5-14x50, with 30mm tube). I haven't weighed it, that's just my guess. I bought it for the range mostly, but then I got invited to go hunting and didn't want to buy a new rifle for the trip since it was my first time. But now that I enjoyed it and know I will be going more, I'm definitely getting something lighter.

Darren01
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Thats my mule deer I shot this season. Hes a 30" wide 3x3, had a really thick body. And its my first deer :)

Snoopis
11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Thats my mule deer I shot this season. Hes a 30" wide 3x3, had a really thick body. And its my first deer :)

Awesome! Glad to see at least someone got one.

max lift
11-15-2006, 03:18 PM

Nice deer

I see it as a 4 x 4 rack or at lest that is how we count them up here in Canada