PDA

View Full Version : dparm99's KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) journal!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

dparm99
10-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Strong presses... smash that deadlift tommorrow!

I'll try my best mate!

Damn your overheads are strong Grrrrr!

Cheers. I reckon i've got my old job to thank for that - worked in a furniture shop and we had no forklifts, trolleys or anything, we had to lift everything! And because of the limited space we often had to lift lounges, entertainment units etc above our heads. It also helped tons with my deadlifts - the first time i ever deadlifted in the gym i did 123kg x 8 reps.

young and strong
10-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Cheers. I reckon i've got my old job to thank for that - worked in a furniture shop and we had no forklifts, trolleys or anything, we had to lift everything! And because of the limited space we often had to lift lounges, entertainment units etc above our heads. It also helped yons with my deadlifts - the first time i ever deadlifted in the gym i did 123kg x 8 reps.

123kgsx8!!

Well that and obviously some real good genetics. My max on deadlifts was 70kgs when i started :p

dparm99
10-01-2007, 06:18 AM
123kgsx8!!

Well that and obviously some real good genetics. My max on deadlifts was 70kgs when i started :p

Honestly mate my genetics weren't/aren't that great. I started out as a 65kg runt (age 21). My back's been getting worked out for about 7 years now (job/weights) so it's a pretty long time.

ElSpaceBandito
10-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Jesus, I started off struggling with 60kg :eek:

dparm99
10-02-2007, 05:11 AM
BACK & BICEPS - 2nd Oct 08

Deadlifts
250 x 1 (551lbs x 1) *** 2.86x bodyweight ***

Bent over BB rows
100 x 8 (220lbs x 8)
100 x 8

Support Row Machine
100 x 13

Machine pulldowns
200lbs x 6
200lbs x 6

DB shrugs
40 x 20 (holding in front)

EZ bar curls
45 x 11 (99lbs x 11)
45 x 10

Preacher curls
40 x 5 (88lbs x 5)

NOTES: Got it! It was an epic struggle but - got it to my knees easy like i knew i would but then my legs started shaking a bit and the last part of the lift was a bastard but i managed to lock it out (no hitching and the bar never came to a dead stop).
Now the bad part - i got to the gym, did my warmup, then pulled out the video camera only to find out that some idiot had left it on and the battery was dead flat!!! Was not happy at all! Anyway i'll probably max out again before the years end and get a video of it for sure.

olympic
10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Awesome job Dave! You must be pretty stoked right now- probably keep you happy for a week haha.

dparm99
10-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Awesome job Dave! You must be pretty stoked right now- probably keep you happy for a week haha.

Yeah pretty happy mate. Got alot on my mind atm but so not as happy as i'd normally be.

Btw i have less than 3 weeks to get my arse into gear for a local powerlifting meet i've decided to enter. I rang up the local powerlifting gym owner tonight and they're holding a comp on Sunday the 21st October. So i'll have about 2 sessions to work on my benching and parallel squatting!
He also told me about an upcoming deadlift meet in December which has me licking my lips...

olympic
10-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah pretty happy mate. Got alot on my mind atm but so not as happy as i'd normally be.

Btw i have less than 3 weeks to get my arse into gear for a local powerlifting meet i've decided to enter. I rang up the local powerlifting gym owner tonight and they're holding a comp on Sunday the 21st October. So i'll have about 2 sessions to work on my benching and parallel squatting!
He also told me about an upcoming deadlift meet in December which has me licking my lips...

Nice- its good your going to compete- you'll learn a lot and meet a bunch of good lifters as well as having some fun too. Once you see what other people can lift at a comp your motivation goes through the roof as well.

dparm99
10-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice- its good your going to compete- you'll learn a lot and meet a bunch of good lifters as well as having some fun too. Once you see what other people can lift at a comp your motivation goes through the roof as well.

Yeah should be an interesting day.
My goals will be 120kg bench, 150kg squat and 250kg deadlift = 520kg total.

What total did you get in your last meet?

olympic
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah should be an interesting day.
My goals will be 120kg bench, 150kg squat and 250kg deadlift = 520kg total.

What total did you get in your last meet?

Nice- 520 at your weight will be really good.

I got 470 at my last meet. 100 bench, 170 squat and 200 deadlift. That was end of last year though so hoping to improve that big time at the next meet in 8 weeks. Hoping for 120 bench, 200 squat and 230 deadlift which would make it 550.

Also which fed is it?

dparm99
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Nice- 520 at your weight will be really good.

I got 470 at my last meet. 100 bench, 170 squat and 200 deadlift. That was end of last year though so hoping to improve that big time at the next meet in 8 weeks. Hoping for 120 bench, 200 squat and 230 deadlift which would make it 550.

Also which fed is it?

Not sure about the fed mate or if it's even run under a federation, i'm going to see the guy on friday and i'll find out about it then and let you know.

I do flat BB bench for the first time in about 18 months tomorrow, should be interesting. Think i'll do some sets touch and go and some paused.

Ezy10z
10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Nice work on the 250kg deadlift. That's an awesome effort.

Rob.

dparm99
10-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Nice work on the 250kg deadlift. That's an awesome effort.

Rob.

Thanks mate.

I take it by your username you're into cars?

dparm99
10-04-2007, 05:03 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 4th Oct 08

Flat BB bench
100 x 8 (220lbs x 8) [touch & go]
110 x 4 [paused]
120 x 2 [paused]

Incline DB bench
40 x 9 (88lbs x 9)
40 x 7
40 x 6

Pec deck
setting 11 x 12
setting 11 x 10

Seated side laterals (strict)
10 x 12 (22lbs x 12)
10 x 11

Tricep pushdowns (rope attachment)
65 x 11
60 x 11
55 x 11

Seated overhead DB extensions
27.5 x 11
27.5 x 11

NOTES: Benching was pretty easy to be honest. I'm now expecting to get 130kg+ at the comp.

littlechick
10-04-2007, 05:15 AM
nice deadlifting :) big milestone!!!

and great bench !!! thanks for stopping by my place!

olympic
10-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Nice benching!

young and strong
10-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Now that's what DB benching does for you!! Makes you a **** load stronger on BB bench.

Sick deadlifts btw.

dparm99
10-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. The big test will be tomorrow when i do some parallel squats with heavier weight than i've ever used, i'm really not feeling confident. I'm thinking about setting the pins up so they are at parallel (or just below), so that when i squat down and touch the bar on the pins i'll know i've gone low enough. You guys think that's a good idea?

ElSpaceBandito
10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
I end up hitting the pins and being thrown off balance, personally I dont recommend it, but if you can manage it smoothly then by all means go for it ..

Ezy10z
10-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks mate.

I take it by your username you're into cars?

Yeh anything turbocharged and 1/4 miles.

Rob.

Ezy10z
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys. The big test will be tomorrow when i do some parallel squats with heavier weight than i've ever used, i'm really not feeling confident. I'm thinking about setting the pins up so they are at parallel (or just below), so that when i squat down and touch the bar on the pins i'll know i've gone low enough. You guys think that's a good idea?

You might fine that you'll put yourself off balance or possibly put more load on one side. If possible maybe try a low box but just go down controlled until you touch it rather than sitting back on it. If you dont have someone to spot you then use a video camera on the lighter weights to get the feeling of going under parallel. Once you've done that in your warm ups and maybe one of your worksets you'll be fine.

Rob.

dparm99
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeh anything turbocharged and 1/4 miles.

Rob.

I've just bought a supercharged EL Fairmont that's getting shipped up from sydney atm. Has about 200rwkw, but once i change exhaust and injectors should be good for 220+rwkw.

What car have you got?

dparm99
10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
LEGS - 5th Oct 08

Squats (ATG)
150 x 1 (330lbs x 1) Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0U-nj51tHg [pretty bad form]

Leg extensions (machine)
110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10

Leg press
160 (+sled) x 11 (352lbs+sled x 11)
160 (+sled) x 11
160 (+sled) x 11
160 (+sled) x 11

Calf work
Various

NOTES: Pretty poor form on the squat but i got it. I tried squatting to parallel with a wider stance and it just didn't work for me so i stuck to how i normally squat.

olympic
10-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Its too late to change anything in your squat form now before the comp. However afterwards if you decide to continue with the powerlifting comps just squat to parallel and definately control the weight a lot more on the way down- right now your kind of dive bombing and bouncing out of the bottom a lot.

Strong deep squat but!

young and strong
10-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Be careful on the forward lean mate. Like Harley said after the comp learn how to control the descent.

You probarly had another 5kgs in ya as well :)

dparm99
10-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Yeah as i said guys form is pretty bad. But as Harley has said it's too late to change it now.
I went and saw the powerlifting guy today and got all the info about the comp. He reckons there'll only be 5 or 6 guys competing. I also asked him about coaching and he said he'd coach me for free which is pretty cool, so after the comp i'll probably go to him for some deadlifting coaching (and maybe on bench and squat too).
He also gave me a bench shirt to use but i'm not very keen on using it so i'll see how i go.

Ezy10z
10-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Definitely no problem with the depth lol. I'd recommend that you come up with your head first rather than pressing to much with you legs otherwise you might end up in a goodmorning. But at the moment you still had control of it. Dont worry about any major changes with your form at the moment. I wouldnt use a bench shirt without doing a a couple of workouts with it first because it's totally different to benching raw. When you first use a shirt you'll have to get use d off pulling down to you chest and really driving of your chest as well. When using a shirt for the first time some people tend to not press so hard of the chest because of the spring but if you did that you'll be to relaxed and wont be as explosive at the point that would benefit from the shirt.

Rob.

Ezy10z
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I've just bought a supercharged EL Fairmont that's getting shipped up from sydney atm. Has about 200rwkw, but once i change exhaust and injectors should be good for 220+rwkw.

What car have you got?

Just a runaround at the moment and no projects on the go. The last one I had was a 1976 Gemini, that had a 1.8lt, T3/T4, Front mount intercooler, Microtech Injection setup. My dad has a modified MY99 WRX with just on 200kw ATW. Runs consistent mid 12's. I usually drive it if we take it to Calder Park.

Rob.

olympic
10-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Its great that guy will train you for free- sounds like a real good guy offering you a bench shirt and everything. I'd definately take him up on his offer of training with him.

dparm99
10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Its great that guy will train you for free- sounds like a real good guy offering you a bench shirt and everything. I'd definately take him up on his offer of training with him.

Yeah i'm definately keen to get some deadlift training off him in the near future. He seemed like a really nice helpful guy, i mean he just gave me the bench shirt and didn't even get any contact details off me or anything, and he also offered me a squat suit too. Also the gym seems like a really relaxed friendly place with a good atmosphere.
There's some freakish deadlifters up here in the NT, one guy pulled 336kg @ 89.9kg bodyweight! And another guy who trains at the gym i went to pulls 325kg in the 90kg class.
My aim is to get my deadlift up to 280kg - 300kg and then find a drugfree organisation to compete in and try to go for some records.

Ezy10z
10-06-2007, 04:26 AM
Yeah i'm definately keen to get some deadlift training off him in the near future. He seemed like a really nice helpful guy, i mean he just gave me the bench shirt and didn't even get any contact details off me or anything, and he also offered me a squat suit too. Also the gym seems like a really relaxed friendly place with a good atmosphere.
There's some freakish deadlifters up here in the NT, one guy pulled 336kg @ 89.9kg bodyweight! And another guy who trains at the gym i went to pulls 325kg in the 90kg class.
My aim is to get my deadlift up to 280kg - 300kg and then find a drugfree organisation to compete in and try to go for some records.

In the drug free the state and national RAW deadlift record is 275kg and you've already done 250kg so not far to go. The guy that hold's this record was probably considered one of the best deadlifters pound for pound so your right up there.

Rob.

dparm99
10-06-2007, 06:54 PM
In the drug free the state and national RAW deadlift record is 275kg and you've already done 250kg so not far to go. The guy that hold's this record was probably considered one of the best deadlifters pound for pound so your right up there.

Rob.

Yeah i checked out those records yesterday. From memory in the 100kg class (raw) the record was only 270kg. I'm pretty confident i'll be able to beat these records at some time in the future.
But unfortunately it looks like that federation only holds comps in sydney and melbourne from what i read. Do you know any more about it?

I was also surprised to see that the bench record (raw) was only about 160kg, i thought it would be up near 200kg. I think with some decent bench training i could be up near there for sure.

Ezy10z
10-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah i checked out those records yesterday. From memory in the 100kg class (raw) the record was only 270kg. I'm pretty confident i'll be able to beat these records at some time in the future.
But unfortunately it looks like that federation only holds comps in sydney and melbourne from what i read. Do you know any more about it?

I was also surprised to see that the bench record (raw) was only about 160kg, i thought it would be up near 200kg. I think with some decent bench training i could be up near there for sure.

Most of the comps are held in Bendigo. I'm not aware of anyone in this federation that can bench 200kg raw but definitely using a bench shirt. Any lifter who can do 160kg and above would be considered at the top 10% especially in the 90kg calass. That 270kg raw DL was also for the 90kg class.

Rob.

dparm99
10-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Most of the comps are held in Bendigo. I'm not aware of anyone in this federation that can bench 200kg raw but definitely using a bench shirt. Any lifter who can do 160kg and above would be considered at the top 10% especially in the 90kg calass. That 270kg raw DL was also for the 90kg class.

Rob.

Just checked the records again. 90kg class bench (raw) record is 165.5kg. 100kg class deadlift (raw) is 270kg. Definately some achievable records.

Do you compete at all mate? You got a journal?

Ezy10z
10-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Just checked the records again. 90kg class bench (raw) record is 165.5kg. 100kg class deadlift (raw) is 270kg. Definately some achievable records.

Do you compete at all mate? You got a journal?

I have competed twice but that was about 6 years ago and wasnt training for long. Never bothered to compete after that but kept training and getting stronger. My dad did a lot of competitions and trained a lot of lifters for competion. I was training for a comp about two years and go and tore a tendon in my shoulder and that was the end of that. Six weeks ago was the first time I trained in 2 1/2 years and after a such a long break will probably take a while before I can even get back to what I was doing before. My shoulder isnt 100% but I can train light on pressing exercises and able to get under the bar to do squats now. I dont have a journal and dont have much to post about anyway.

Rob.

dparm99
10-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I have competed twice but that was about 6 years ago and wasnt training for long. Never bothered to compete after that but kept training and getting stronger. My dad did a lot of competitions and trained a lot of lifters for competion. I was training for a comp about two years and go and tore a tendon in my shoulder and that was the end of that. Six weeks ago was the first time I trained in 2 1/2 years and after a such a long break will probably take a while before I can even get back to what I was doing before. My shoulder isnt 100% but I can train light on pressing exercises and able to get under the bar to do squats now. I dont have a journal and dont have much to post about anyway.

Rob.

Sucks to hear about the injury mate. I've been pretty lucky so far in that sense. Good luck with getting back into your training.

dparm99
10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
There'll be no training for me tonight or tomorrow cause i've got to go to a stupid drink driver course so i can get my licence back. This week i'll probably do rack pulls on wednesday (for the first time ever), benching on thursday and squats on friday. Then next monday i'll probably do some benching and that will be my last workout before the comp. I'm not going to bother with the bench shirt but.

dparm99
10-10-2007, 05:03 AM
BACK & BICEPS - 10th Oct 08

Rack pulls (about 6" below knees)
240 x 2 (528lbs x 2)
220 x 4 (484lbs x 4)

Bent over BB rows
100 x 11 (220lbs x 11)
100 x 11

Shrugs (straight bar, mixed grip)
100 x 25
140 x 17

Machine pulldowns
200lbs x 10

EZ bar curls
50 x 11 (110lbs x 11)
45 x 13

NOTES: First time ever doing rack pulls and i absolutely sucked at them! They aren't really any stronger than my full deadlifts. In some ways i guess it's not a surprise considering i'm starting them at my sticking point and there's no momentum like there is in full deads. Still i was very disappointed with them.
Good thing was that all other lifts were strong and i set heaps of PRs.
Tomorrow is benching, Monday is now squatting (as i'm going barra fishing all day on friday) and i'll do some more benching on tuesday which will be my last workout before the comp on sunday the 21st.

olympic
10-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Rack pulls at 6 inches below the knees!? Wouldn't that make it your normal deadlift height? I think most people do them either just below the knees or just above.

littlechick
10-10-2007, 05:51 AM
what comp??????

dparm99
10-10-2007, 05:59 AM
what comp??????

I'm going in my first powerlifting comp.

dparm99
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Rack pulls at 6 inches below the knees!? Wouldn't that make it your normal deadlift height? I think most people do them either just below the knees or just above.

6" below knees when standing fully upright next to the bar is what i meant mate. But i do think i needed to set the pins higher.

littlechick
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I'm going in my first powerlifting comp.

awsome..need pics ;)

dparm99
10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
awsome..need pics ;)

I'll do better than that. I intend on getting videos of my best lifts.

olympic
10-10-2007, 06:05 AM
6" below knees when standing fully upright next to the bar is what i meant mate. But i do think i needed to set the pins higher.

Yeah thats what I thought you meant... but still that wouldn't make it all that much higher than normal deadlifts so kind of defeats the purpose in my view. Next time try it just below the knees while standing upright next to the bar if you like.

Looking forward to the vids and the results from the comp!

dparm99
10-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah thats what I thought you meant... but still that wouldn't make it all that much higher than normal deadlifts so kind of defeats the purpose in my view. Next time try it just below the knees while standing upright next to the bar if you like.

Looking forward to the vids and the results from the comp!

Me too mate (even though i shot my confidence a bit tonight).

I'm still undecided on what deadlift numbers to go for. I'm thinking maybe 1st: 230kg, 2nd: 245kg and 3rd (depending on how hard 2nd attempt was) between 250kg - 257.5kg.

You got any suggestions?

olympic
10-10-2007, 06:24 AM

I'm still undecided on what deadlift numbers to go for. I'm thinking maybe 1st: 230kg, 2nd: 245kg and 3rd (depending on how hard 2nd attempt was) between 250kg - 257.5kg.

You got any suggestions?

Rob is a lot more experienced in meet attempts than I am so hopefully he pipes up and offers some advice...

But if I was lifting 250kg in the gym I would do pretty much exactly what you suggested... maybe make the first attempt a little lighter. It should be something you could get on a very bad day just in case something goes wrong. Plus if you go a little lighter on the opener you aren't as stuffed for when you go for the other attempts.

Dominik
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM

You got any suggestions?Dave, I'm no PL guru but from everything I've heard you don't want to go too heavy on your opener. Go for a weight you know will fly up and give you confidence going into the next 2 attempts. Nothing worse than being nervous, struggling with the first one, and starting to doubt your ability. Have a listen to Matt Kroczaleski's comments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MG_cOPZhXE) on it.

Btw, congrats on the 250kg PR. 550 @ 190 is really impressive. Saw your DL video and you're a natural deadlifter, like M.J.H who's also really strong for his weight. Ignore any dumb comments on there. I've lost count of how many videos I've seen where someone is criticizing form on a big lift and then you click on their profile and they've got no videos. Just keep doing what you're doing.

dparm99
10-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Dave, I'm no PL guru but from everything I've heard you don't want to go too heavy on your opener. Go for a weight you know will fly up and give you confidence going into the next 2 attempts. Nothing worse than being nervous, struggling with the first one, and starting to doubt your ability. Have a listen to Matt Kroczaleski's comments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MG_cOPZhXE) on it.

Btw, congrats on the 250kg PR. 550 @ 190 is really impressive. Saw your DL video and you're a natural deadlifter, like M.J.H who's also really strong for his weight. Ignore any dumb comments on there. I've lost count of how many videos I've seen where someone is criticizing form on a big lift and then you click on their profile and they've got no videos. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks mate and welcome back!
Yeah i don't let the comments get me down, form is never going to be good on a max/near max attempt. Anyway i don't think my form was that bad.
In case you didn't know i took 6 months off from lifting/eating properly etc and lost nearly 10kg. I've been back into things for about 4 - 5 months now and got the weight back and measurements/strength are better than ever.
How's your lifting going? (especially curious about your deadlift).

ps. i tried to tell everyone that there is life outside of this forum and you weren't dead but they didn't listen!

dparm99
10-11-2007, 03:12 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 11th Oct 08

Flat BB bench
110 x 4 (242lbs x 4) [paused]
115 x 3 (253lbs x 3) [paused]
100 x 7 (220lbs x 7) [touch & go]

Incline DB bench
40 x 7 (88lbs x 7)
40 x 7
40 x 7

Pec deck
setting 11 x 12
setting 11 x 10

Dips
bw + 40 x 6 (+88lbs x 6)

L laterals
17.5 x 13 (39lbs x 13)

10 x 13 (22lbs x 13)
10 x 11

60 x 15
60 x 11
60 x 10

NOTES: A pretty ordinary workout. Just didn't feel strong and was yawning through the workout. Think i might just rest up from now until the comp (21st Oct).

Ezy10z
10-11-2007, 03:41 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 11th Oct 08

Flat BB bench
110 x 4 (242lbs x 4) [paused]
100 x 7 (220lbs x 7) [touch & go]

Incline DB bench
40 x 7 (88lbs x 7)
40 x 7
40 x 7

Pec deck
setting 11 x 12
setting 11 x 10

Dips
bw + 40 x 6 (+88lbs x 6)

L laterals
17.5 x 13 (39lbs x 13)

10 x 13 (22lbs x 13)
10 x 11

60 x 15
60 x 11
60 x 10

NOTES: A pretty ordinary workout. Just didn't feel strong and was yawning through the workout. Think i might just rest up from now until the comp (21st Oct).

In the last 9 days you've done a max DL, max squat, 2 x near max bench workouts and basically maxed out again with the rack pulls. Although you felt tired you still did some really good weights on the bench.

Rob.

dparm99
10-11-2007, 03:46 AM
In the last 9 days you've done a max DL, max squat, 2 x near max bench workouts and basically maxed out again with the rack pulls. Although you felt tired you still did some really good weights on the bench.

Rob.

Yeah you're right mate and i'm really feeling tired and stuffed atm. I don't think i'll achieve anything by doing any more workouts before the comp.

young and strong
10-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Solid lifting mate, your incline DB bench is alos real impressive!

LedJinDairy
10-11-2007, 04:00 AM
When you went from 65 kg to what you weigh now....what was your diet like?

Just the macros...calories, carbs, protein, fats.

I'm about 69 kg now and looking to get to 75-80 kg eventually.

I'm 22 and I want to get to that weight while I'm still young and have a quick metabolism then just maintain around 75-80 kg as I age.

2800 calories/day enough? I make sure to get a lot of carbs and fats and I don't go overboard with the protein...maybe 150 g daily of protein.

dparm99
10-11-2007, 06:08 AM
When you went from 65 kg to what you weigh now....what was your diet like?

Just the macros...calories, carbs, protein, fats.

I'm about 69 kg now and looking to get to 75-80 kg eventually.

I'm 22 and I want to get to that weight while I'm still young and have a quick metabolism then just maintain around 75-80 kg as I age.

2800 calories/day enough? I make sure to get a lot of carbs and fats and I don't go overboard with the protein...maybe 150 g daily of protein.

Hey mate, welcome to my journal.
Everyone's different but i needed to eat around 3,500+ a day to steadily put on weight. I probably would have put on alot more if i didn't go out clubbing every weekend and let my diet slip on the weekends.
I'm not sure of the macro breakdown but it was high in protein and carbs and moderate in fat.
Hope this helps.

littlechick
10-11-2007, 06:12 AM
a high carb diet?????????? we all hate you :mad:

olympic
10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
The comps tommorrow right? Hope you do well and have fun.

dparm99
10-19-2007, 12:11 AM
The comps tommorrow right? Hope you do well and have fun.

Thanks mate, nah it's on sunday (about 1pm). It feels weird having a week off, the nights after work seem sooo long and it just feels like i will have lost strength. At least my body has had a much needed rest.

dparm99
10-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Only one more sleep till the comp! Feels weird having not lifted for the last 9 days.
My opening lifts tomorrw will be:
Squat - 130kg
Bench - 110kg
Deadlift - 220kg

young and strong
10-20-2007, 02:08 AM
**** man, even your opening lifts look strong :eek:

dparm99
10-20-2007, 02:16 AM
**** man, even your opening lifts look strong :eek:

Thanks mate. My big dilemma will be on my second lifts - i don't know whether to go for something i know i can get (or at least should) eg. 5 - 10kg below my maxes or basically go for my maxes. I'll probaly play it safe and go for about 5kg short of my maxes.

ElSpaceBandito
10-20-2007, 02:25 AM
First one should be playing it very safe, second should be approx your previous 1RM and last is PR territory ..

olympic
10-20-2007, 03:02 AM
Smash it tommorrow mate!

Dominik
10-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Smash it tommorrow mate!x2

Good luck tomorrow Dave.

wala
10-20-2007, 03:16 AM
just been browsing through.. nice journal. Your last chest workout was cool, nice benching!

dparm99
10-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Smash it tommorrow mate!

x2

Good luck tomorrow Dave.

Thanks guys, i'll give it my best tomorrow and try to get someone to take vids of my second and third attempts on all lifts.

dparm99
10-20-2007, 03:51 AM
just been browsing through.. nice journal. Your last chest workout was cool, nice benching!

Cheers mate, thanks for stopping by!

wala
10-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Cheers mate, thanks for stopping by!

No probs.. I'll stoping by more often I reckon.. to try and get some tips! :)

dparm99
10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
No probs.. I'll stoping by more often I reckon.. to try and get some tips! :)

Judging by your avatar pic you don't need any tips mate. Looking very big!

dparm99
10-21-2007, 01:32 AM
COMP RESULTS - 21st Oct 08

Competition weight - 85.6kg (188.7lbs)

SQUAT

1st attempt: 125kg - easy as put got a "no lift" because i forgot to wait for the judges instruction to squat.

2nd attempt: 140kg - another pretty easy lift, felt solid and form/depth were good.

3rd attempt: 155kg (342lbs) - was bloody hard and i leant forward as i do when i'm struggling but got a clean lift. New PR! (did hurt my lower back a bit though)

BENCH

1st attempt: 110kg - easy as, very solid lift.

2nd attempt: 125kg (276lbs) - felt fairly heavy but was still a good clean lift.

3rd attempt: 135kg - bit off more than i could chew, felt heavy the whole time. I should have gone for 130kg cause i'm pretty sure i would have got that. Regardless 125kg was still the most i've ever benched.

DEADLIFT

1st attempt: 220kg - could easily do that any day of the week. Everyone commented on how easy it was/looked.

2nd attempt: 240kg - still pretty easy, a good solid lift.

3rd attempt: 252.5kg (557lbs) - felt pretty heavy but not as bad as i expected, successful lift and a new PR! (2.95 x bodyweight!)

4th attempt: 257.5kg - took up the offer of a 4th lift but never expected to get it, still gave it an okay shake.

TOTAL = 532.5kg (1174lbs)

Videos to come when i upload them. Unfortunately on my 252.5kg deadlift my girlfriend only got the lockout (and putdown) of the lift, a bit disappointing, but she got all of all the other lifts.
I came second overall. The guy that beat me won by about 10kg, but he used a squat suit, knee wraps, bench suit etc. so if he was raw i would have got him. Doesn't worry me anyway i just went there to compete, not to win.
I'm definately going in the national deadlift competition on the 8th December. I'm hoping to win the NT division.
My lower back is pretty shot atm, i hurts to walk and even hurts just sitting down. I'm pretty sure there's no real damage done though.
All in all a fun few hours, definately glad i went along!

ElSpaceBandito
10-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Nice work mate! PRs on all lifts!

Look forward to the vids

surfnut
10-21-2007, 01:58 AM
well done!! thats a good result i bet your happy with that:D

dparm99
10-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Nice work mate! PRs on all lifts!

Look forward to the vids

well done!! thats a good result i bet your happy with that:D

Thanks alot guys!
I've just started uploading vids now, they're taking ages but. As soon as i get the third attempt squat, second attempt bench and the second and third (seeing my third attempt vid only shows the lockout) deadlift videos uploaded on youtube i'll post them straight up. Probably another hour from now.
I might post up my missed 135 bench and 257.5 deadlift videos up later if anyone wants to see them.

olympic
10-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Good stuff on the PR's mate - did very well I reckon. Definately post up all videos.

Hope your back heals up soon.

young and strong
10-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Sweet lifts mate, i can't believe how well you did. The first comp i did i was nervous as all hell.

Was this the first time you squatted without a mirror??

dparm99
10-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Sweet lifts mate, i can't believe how well you did. The first comp i did i was nervous as all hell.

Was this the first time you squatted without a mirror??

Thanks mate. Nah i used to work out and home and didn't have a mirror there. I normally squat pretty deep so no worries about getting called on depth.

Internet is being gay atm, i only have one vid uploaded so far.

Ezy10z
10-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Awesome stuff and really strong lifts done in comp conditions. Were there many lifters in the comp? Was the bench a PR as well? You probably would have got your 4th attempt on the DL if your lower back wasnt toasted from the squats. It wont be long before you'll be having a crack at 260kg ++. Looking forward to the vids.

Rob.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 04:01 AM
155kg squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43wb6P7xXIk

125kg bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDCUy0NQzjg

240kg deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utwsCET6Dc

252.5kg deadlift (lockout only shown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMK_VUU6W0E

Will post a couple of others later. I don't know how to embed them though, if someone could do it for me would be appreciated. Cheers.

Ezy10z
10-21-2007, 04:13 AM

252.5kg deadlift (lockout only shown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMK_VUU6W0E

Will post a couple of others later. I don't know how to embed them though, if someone could do it for me would be appreciated. Cheers.

Your 125kg bench was really strong and I think you would have got 130kg. Your 240Kg deadlift looked so easy and that guy behind you was really enjoying it. Seemed like a really good atmosphere.

Rob.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Your 125kg bench was really strong and I think you would have got 130kg. Your 240Kg deadlift looked so easy and that guy behind you was really enjoying it. Seemed like a really good atmosphere.

Rob.

Yeah it felt pretty easy which is why i went to 135kg, which felt surprisingly heavy. There were only 6 competitors and a small crowd but everyone was supportive and the atmosphere was good.
I'm hoping to get my deadlift up to 260 - 265kg for the National Deadlift comp on the 8th December.

olympic
10-21-2007, 05:47 AM

You got the bench and deadlift easy! Very solid stuff mate.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 06:07 AM
You got the bench and deadlift easy! Very solid stuff mate.

Cheers mate. I was really surprised at how heavy the 135kg bench felt. I honestly think i would have gotten 130kg if i'd tried for it.
The 240kg deadlift was pretty easy and even the 252.5kg was easier than i thought and alot easier than my 250kg lift the other week.

Failed 257.5kg deadlift (back was fried by this point): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzf4ZO_ftw

Dominik
10-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Cheers mate. I was really surprised at how heavy the 135kg bench felt. I honestly think i would have gotten 130kg if i'd tried for it.
The 240kg deadlift was pretty easy and even the 252.5kg was easier than i thought and alot easier than my 250kg lift the other week.

Failed 257.5kg deadlift (back was fried by this point): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzf4ZO_ftwAwesome job. 8 lifts out of 9 attempts and a bunch of PRs. Can't ask for much more than that on your first meet. Really impressive.

You're a natural deadlifter Dave however with the style you use I think the sticking point will consistently be at lockout, which is not such a bad thing since you can improve it with a lot of glute/ham assistance work. Like you said the deads fly off the floor with a lot of speed and the missed 257.5kg was no exception--a lot of guys your size wouldn't even make it budge. I could definitely see bands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKn1hUjpdk) being an effective DL training tool for you in the future so you can specifically overload the top part of the lift. RDLs, GMs, along with some rack work would also help.

olympic
10-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Definately need to spend some time cleaning up your squat technique as well- the end results will be worth it because your squat should shoot right up pretty quickly once you start doing it right.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Awesome job. 8 lifts out of 9 attempts and a bunch of PRs. Can't ask for much more than that on your first meet. Really impressive.

You're a natural deadlifter Dave however with the style you use I think the sticking point will consistently be at lockout, which is not such a bad thing since you can improve it with a lot of glute/ham assistance work. Like you said the deads fly off the floor with a lot of speed and the missed 257.5kg was no exception--a lot of guys your size wouldn't even make it budge. I could definitely see bands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHKn1hUjpdk) being an effective DL training tool for you in the future so you can specifically overload the top part of the lift. RDLs, GMs, along with some rack work would also help.

Thanks mate. I agree that i definately need to start doing some assistance work. But again the fact i've never done any i think is an advantage for me in the fact that i've got alot of room for improvement. I've only got about 7 weeks till the national deadlift comp (probably only 5 workouts) so i won't be expecting much improvement but i'll start doing assistance work asap and see how i go.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Definately need to spend some time cleaning up your squat technique as well- the end results will be worth it because your squat should shoot right up pretty quickly once you start doing it right.

Totally agree on that one mate. My 140kg squat was good form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf6ZOrMBXh8 but my 155kg was crap form. I will be working hard on my squat from now on.

bluffcolts
10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice journal
Keep up the good work!! :)

olympic
10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks mate. I agree that i definately need to start doing some assistance work. But again the fact i've never done any i think is an advantage for me in the fact that i've got alot of room for improvement. I've only got about 7 weeks till the national deadlift comp (probably only 5 workouts) so i won't be expecting much improvement but i'll start doing assistance work asap and see how i go.

Looking at your training you pretty much maxed on deadlifts 2 times leading up to the comp... I think fresh you'd probably have 260kg in you especially if you work on your lockout from now until then. That would be a huge weight for you bodyweight.

Totally agree on that one mate. My 140kg squat was good form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf6ZOrMBXh8 but my 155kg was crap form. I will be working hard on my squat from ow on.

Yeah the 140 was better but still needs a lot of work lol. That bloke is going to coach you right? Get him to help you out with your squat a bit.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Nice journal
Keep up the good work!! :)

Thanks for stopping by, appreciate it!

Yeah the 140 was better but still needs a lot of work lol. That bloke is going to coach you right? Get him to help you out with your squat a bit.

Any pointers/suggestions for me mate?
One thing i can think of (which you can't tell from the video) is i think i need to place the bar further back on my shoulders. I've always placed it high up and i think this contributes to me leaning forward during heavy squats.

Also i think if i peak properly for the deadlift comp, plus the fact it's deadlift only so i'll be totally fresh for it that i can definately pull 260kg+. Anything less and i'll be disappointed.
Are you going in the National Deadlift comp?

olympic
10-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Any pointers/suggestions for me mate?
One thing i can think of (which you can't tell from the video) is i think i need to place the bar further back on my shoulders. I've always placed it high up and i think this contributes to me leaning forward during heavy squats.

Also i think if i peak properly for the deadlift comp, plus the fact it's deadlift only so i'll be totally fresh for it that i can definately pull 260kg+. Anything less and i'll be disappointed.
Are you going in the National Deadlift comp?

Watched the 140 squat clip a couple of times and just at first glance I can see a few things...

1. Control the weight on the way down- right now your almost free falling so the first time you start to actually control the weight is on the way up so that means your only just starting to stabilise the weight right when the squat gets hard. If you have it stabilised before that time its much easier to squat it up.
2. Only squat to just below parallel in training. You'll squat bigger numbers that way in the comps. Go just a little bit lower than parallel so that when you max out there'll be no question of depth.
3. Push your knees out on the way up- right now they are going all over the place and mainly I think thats because of issue no.1 but also because most people do this as well. You transfer the weight onto your knees if they come in on the way up and does them no favours in the long run.

Also on the 155 if the big glaring issue is the forward lean. To fix this you'll just need to concentrate on it each and every time you squat especially when it starts getting tough.

With bar placement- pretty much just put it where its comfortable- for me thats right on top of the meaty part of my traps. And yeah you dont want it up near your neck.

One good thing you are doing is actually sitting back into the squat rather than just dropping at the knees.

As for your 260 deadlift... I reckon you've got that much in you right now if you peak right like you said. Rob was saying to me with the proper kind of training you could pretty easily get to 300 in no time.

Deadlift comp- what date is it?

dparm99
10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
The National Deadlift comp is on Saturday 8th December. I just worked out that it only gives me 5 more deadlift workouts until then :-( I might even be able to make the 82.5kg class, just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

Don't you have a comp on around that date?

ps. Thanks for the squat tips!

dparm99
10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
My back is better today but still prety wrecked, it's bad enough to make me take the day off work. Hopefully it will be well enough by next tuesday so i can resume deadlifting.

olympic
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
The National Deadlift comp is on Saturday 8th December. I just worked out that it only gives me 5 more deadlift workouts until then :-( I might even be able to make the 82.5kg class, just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

Don't you have a comp on around that date?

ps. Thanks for the squat tips!

Yeah I have the 3 lift comp on the 1st. Depending on how my back is feeling I'll probably end up doing that deadlift comp because it would be a lot of fun. Meets come alive when the deadlifting starts :D

My back is better today but still prety wrecked, it's bad enough to make me take the day off work. Hopefully it will be well enough by next tuesday so i can resume deadlifting.

Is it actually injured or just muscle soreness? If its injured best to go see a chiropractor today if you've got the time off work.

dparm99
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah I have the 3 lift comp on the 1st. Depending on how my back is feeling I'll probably end up doing that deadlift comp because it would be a lot of fun. Meets come alive when the deadlifting starts :D

Is it actually injured or just muscle soreness? If its injured best to go see a chiropractor today if you've got the time off work.

Yeah you should go in it mate! From what i understand it's run simultaneously in every state/territory around the country which is pretty cool.

It's definately more than soreness. I reckon it's just a strain, so it should be sweet after a few days rest.

dparm99
10-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Ordered myself an Inzer 13mm Forever single prong belt tonight, as well as some deadlift slippers (and a couple of Inzer t-shirts).

I worked out a bit of a program for the next 5 weeks (only 5 weeks of workouts till the National deadlift comp).
I'm going to start doing rack pulls, hyperextensions & power shrugs (back day) and good mornings & stiff legged deads (leg day).
I'll only be deadlifting off the floor once before the comp! Also there will be a week in the middle (week 3) where i don't do any pulling.
I'll also be working hard on my squats during this time and starting from scratch on form.

The goal - 265kg deadlift @ 84 - 85kg bodyweight at the comp.

My back is still quite sore, but fingers crossed it'll be good enough to resume training next Tuesday.

Endeavourer
10-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Just checked out your links, your deadlifts are awesome... well done mate

Really makes my lift today look nothing! haha!

Good luck man!

olympic
10-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Ordered myself an Inzer 13mm Forever single prong belt tonight, as well as some deadlift slippers (and a couple of Inzer t-shirts).

I worked out a bit of a program for the next 5 weeks (only 5 weeks of workouts till the National deadlift comp).
I'm going to start doing rack pulls, hyperextensions & power shrugs (back day) and good mornings & stiff legged deads (leg day).
I'll only be deadlifting off the floor once before the comp! Also there will be a week in the middle (week 3) where i don't do any pulling.
I'll also be working hard on my squats during this time and starting from scratch on form.

My back is still quite sore, but fingers crossed it'll be good enough to resume training next Tuesday.

Sounds like a good plan. Good mornings and stiff leg deads all on the same day could be a bit of overkill though, considering your also training your back on another day during that week. Perhaps drop the stiff leg deads out?

Dominik
10-23-2007, 06:30 AM

My back is still quite sore, but fingers crossed it'll be good enough to resume training next Tuesday.Solid plan. If you haven't used one before you'll be surprised at how thick and stiff those belts are, but once you break them in they feel perfect.

Don't be in a rush to get back to heavy pulling, especially if the back still feels sore. Most powerlifters go back to training light after a meet before ramping up again, with a lot taking a couple of weeks off to recover.

Olympic raises a good point about the lower back volume with assistance work and that's something you'll have to figure out on your own. When the gains are coming quickly it's easy to get through more volume. Eventually you reach a point where it starts to hurt your progress rather than help it. Experiment and don't be afraid to rotate your assistance work, like 2 weeks of stiff-legs, 2 weeks of rack work, 2 weeks of GMs, and so on.

dparm99
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Good mornings and stiff leg deads all on the same day could be a bit of overkill though, considering your also training your back on another day during that week. Perhaps drop the stiff leg deads out?

Good point mate. I guess i'll try it and see how the back holds up. I'll probably only do 3 sets of GMs and 2 - 3 sets of SLDL so hopefully it won't be too much.

dparm99
10-24-2007, 10:57 PM
CARDIO - 25th Oct 08

Treadmill: 35 minutes

Also have a new avatar now :)

olympic
10-24-2007, 11:51 PM
CARDIO - 25th Oct 08

Treadmill: 35 minutes

Also have a new avatar now :)

Bleh at cardio.

olympic
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Hows the back?

dparm99
10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Hows the back?

So so mate, it's a bit sore today. Going to do some cardio soon and might do some light weights just to see where i'm at.
Thanks for asking.

dparm99
10-25-2007, 10:00 PM
26th Oct 08

Shrugs
140 x 10 (308lbs x 10)
140 x 10

Cardio
Treadmill: 30 minutes

NOTES: Shrugs felt heavy and were weak. Back felt fine during shrugs and cardio but, which is good.

olympic
10-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Its good your back is feeling up for it.

Did you do those shrugs strapless? Strong grip if you did.

dparm99
10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Its good your back is feeling up for it.

Did you do those shrugs strapless? Strong grip if you did.

I do the shrugs strapless but with a mixed grip.

young and strong
10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I never got a chance to see the deadlift videos (No time atm).

But assuming that is the 240kgs deadlift in your avatar, then you've got a damn strong lower back. That was a complete SL deadlift!!

dparm99
10-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I never got a chance to see the deadlift videos (No time atm).

But assuming that is the 240kgs deadlift in your avatar, then you've got a damn strong lower back. That was a complete SL deadlift!!

Haha yeah that's the 240kg pull in my avatar, which i did pretty comfortably.
My style is fairly stiff legged, but that's what works best for me, because my back is my strongest link.
I tell you what impressed me was watching a video of a guy up here (NT) in the 90kg class (tall and lanky) pull 325kg with even more a stiff legged style than me! I'll see if i can get hold of the video and post it up.

LSU1
10-26-2007, 11:45 PM
wow man your strength has blown the hell up since the last time i saw you around here

keep up the awesome work and gl with the meet in december

dparm99
10-26-2007, 11:58 PM
wow man your strength has blown the hell up since the last time i saw you around here

keep up the awesome work and gl with the meet in december

Cheers mate and thanks for stopping by. You're looking big and lean in your avatar!

dparm99
10-27-2007, 04:51 AM
I've now decided to do 3 sets of flat BB bench on Mondays at the start of my shoulder workout. That will leave my chest/tri day (Thursday) free to focus more on bodybuilding (incline bb, flat db).
I've also decided not to do a cut as such but just tighten up my diet and do a bit of cardio whenever i can be bothered.
My new diet will be:

Meal 1
* 2 hard boiled eggs
* 2 pieces multigrain toast
* Protein shake (sanitarium 'up & go' drink, skim milk, protein powder)

Meal 2
* Pasta
* Lean mince
* Low fat cheese
* Skim milk

Meal 3
* Chicken
* Vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, onion, carrot, sun dried tomatoes)
* Skim milk

Meal 4
* Turkey
* 2 pieces multigrain bread
* Low fat cheese
* Skim milk

Meal 4 (pre workout)
* Chicken
* Rice
* Protein shake (skim milk, protein powder)

After workout
* Protein powder, creatine, gatorade - in water

Meal 6 (post workout)
* Chicken
* Vegetables
* Skim milk

Food bill = over $200 a week :(

dparm99
10-29-2007, 05:44 AM
The stuff I ordered from Inzer turned up toady. Only about 4 days after i ordered it. Awesome service! Just wished i hadn't have listened to others and had bought my belt through them too.

dparm99
10-29-2007, 05:54 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS - 29th Oct 08

Seated DB press
32.5 x 10 (72lbs x 10)
32.5 x 7
32.5 x 7

Flat BB bench
100 x 5 (220lbs x 5)
100 x 4

Machine shoulder press
stack x 13

L lateral raises
17.5 x 11 (39lbs x 11)
17.5 x 10
17.5 x 10

Tricep pressdowns (rope attachment)
65 x 17
65 x 12
60 x 11

NOTES: An okay workout. Struggled a bit cardiovascular wise because i haven't done a proper workout in about two and a half weeks.
Tomorrow is the big test for my back when i do rack pulls, should be sweet.

olympic
10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Good to see you back into it mate. Let us know what difference the inzer stuff makes.

dparm99
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Good to see you back into it mate. Let us know what difference the inzer stuff makes.

All i got from Inzer was a soft suit, a couple of t-shirts and a couple of stickers. The t-shirts are pretty nice.
I ordered an Inzer belt from Irongladiators.com on Dom's recommendation and they haven't even shipped it yet and they money has been put back on my credit card and there's been no word from them. I won't be buying anything from them again!

Dominik
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
All i got from Inzer was a soft suit, a couple of t-shirts and a couple of stickers. The t-shirts are pretty nice.
I ordered an Inzer belt from Irongladiators.com on Dom's recommendation and they haven't even shipped it yet and they money has been put back on my credit card and there's been no word from them. I won't be buying anything from them again!The heaviest item they're going to send you is a belt so that's where delivery time and shipping costs come into it. Stuff like shirts, wraps, etc. can be flat packed and shipped out quickly since it doesn't weigh much.

Brent is a powerlifter (held the WR in the squat for a while) and runs a no-bull**** business. I'm surprised you'd take to trashing him publicly before giving it a few more days and then trying to resolve it personally. My stuff took about a week and a half to arrive on both occasions so consider yourself lucky to have gotten something from the US in 4 days. I've ordered from Ironmind, EliteFTS, and a couple of other places, and nothing arrived any earlier than that. I also ordered a book from a company a while back which I won't name and it never arrived. E-mailed them, the guy was friendly and said they'd ship it out again, and nothing. Did I go online talking **** about them? I left it at that and never bought from them again.

Inzer has a ****ty reputation with customer service (do a search on any PL forum, a lot of people have had problems) and that's why I didn't buy from them and went instead with someone who stocks most of their gear before they even put it on their website and has a solid reputation.

dparm99
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
The heaviest item they're going to send you is a belt so that's where delivery time and shipping costs come into it. Stuff like shirts, wraps, etc. can be flat packed and shipped out quickly since it doesn't weigh much.

Brent is a powerlifter (held the WR in the squat for a while) and runs a no-bull**** business. I'm surprised you'd take to trashing him publicly before giving it a few more days and then trying to resolve it personally. My stuff took about a week and a half to arrive on both occasions so consider yourself lucky to have gotten something from the US in 4 days. I've ordered from Ironmind, EliteFTS, and a couple of other places, and nothing arrived any earlier than that. I also ordered a book from a company a while back which I won't name and it never arrived. E-mailed them, the guy was friendly and said they'd ship it out again, and nothing. Did I go online talking **** about them? I left it at that and never bought from them again.

Inzer has a ****ty reputation with customer service (do a search on any PL forum, a lot of people have had problems) and that's why I didn't buy from them and went instead with someone who stocks most of their gear before they even put it on their website and has a solid reputation.

Maybe i jumped the gun a bit mate but i'm just annoyed that the "bad" Inzer company stuff arrived in 4 days and the other "good" mobs stuff was ordered over a week ago and hasn't even been sent yet. I hope you can understand that.

Dominik
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Maybe i jumped the gun a bit mate but i'm just annoyed that the "bad" Inzer company stuff arrived in 4 days and the other "good" mobs stuff was ordered over a week ago and hasn't even been sent yet. I hope you can understand that.Keep in mind the "good mob" is a guy working out of home who sure isn't getting rich selling powerlifting gear. He's also not the manufacturer and obviously can't afford to stock every piece of gear in every size/color/whatever at any given time. I checked my e-mails from the last order and the time between the order confirmation and "order has shipped" notice was 5 days and the stuff arrived about 4-5 days later. You were fortunate that Inzer was able to ship what you ordered straight away but it's not always going to be that way.

And btw, didn't you say (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=90618593&postcount=5) Inzer billed you $77US for postage? If you're paying that kind of dough for shipping surely you'd expect it to arrive in 2-3 business days.

You know Andy Bolton runs a similar service with Inzer gear for the UK, right? I'd be interested to see how people here would react in the same situation. Do you start trashing the world's best powerlifter because he had his hands full for a few days before shipping your ****? I know I wouldn't.

olympic
10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Keep in mind the "good mob" is a guy working out of home who sure isn't getting rich selling powerlifting gear. He's also not the manufacturer and obviously can't afford to stock every piece of gear in every size/color/whatever at any given time. I checked my e-mails from the last order and the time between the order confirmation and "order has shipped" notice was 5 days and the stuff arrived about 4-5 days later. You were fortunate that Inzer was able to ship what you ordered straight away but it's not always going to be that way.

And btw, didn't you say (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=90618593&postcount=5) Inzer billed you $77US for postage? If you're paying that kind of dough for shipping surely you'd expect it to arrive in 2-3 business days.

You know Andy Bolton runs a similar service with Inzer gear for the UK, right? I'd be interested to see how people here would react in the same situation. Do you start trashing the world's best powerlifter because he had his hands full for a few days before shipping your ****? I know I wouldn't.

I've always thought of you as a fairly level headed bloke Dominik.. but aren't you taking this a little out of proportion? All Dave said was that he wouldn't be buying anything from iron gladiators again- he didn't go around bashing the bloke behind the business or anything like that. Dave just seems a little ignorant to the way things are done on the internet is all.

Anyway Dave just FYI for future purchases.. most business you buy stuff from on the internet will typically only ship once a fortnight or maybe 1 a week. So if you get your order in just before the shipping day you'll get it real quick otherwise not. I've ordered stuff from ironmind in the past and one time it came a couple of days later, the other time it took a couple of weeks. The andy bolton dvd took 3 weeks. Its really just down to the shipping date.

gobbles
10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
you are better

jigsaw made me do it

dparm99
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Keep in mind the "good mob" is a guy working out of home who sure isn't getting rich selling powerlifting gear. He's also not the manufacturer and obviously can't afford to stock every piece of gear in every size/color/whatever at any given time. I checked my e-mails from the last order and the time between the order confirmation and "order has shipped" notice was 5 days and the stuff arrived about 4-5 days later. You were fortunate that Inzer was able to ship what you ordered straight away but it's not always going to be that way.

Looking at my credit card it seems Irongladiators charged me about the same for shipping mate. It's also weird how the money (amount of their order) has suddenly appeared back on my credit card with no contact from them.
I emailed them today and will await their reply.

dparm99
10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
You seem to be taking this personally Dom, almost like you are connected to the business. Is this the case?

Dominik
10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I've always thought of you as a fairly level headed bloke Dominik.. but aren't you taking this a little out of proportion? All Dave said was that he wouldn't be buying anything from iron gladiators again- he didn't go around bashing the bloke behind the business or anything like that. Dave just seems a little ignorant to the way things are done on the internet is all.Firstly, there are two posts on this page where he refers to me, and one directly. Surely I've got the right to explain why I recommended a particular business? You say Dave is a little ignorant about the whole online ordering process, well I've done business with that company twice and didn't have any problems so where's the problem with me sharing my perspective on it?

Nothing is being blown out of proportion. I just I thought it was poor form to be critical after 4 days, and it surprised me. If he chooses to never buy from IG again because he didn't get a prompt email reply, that's perfectly fine, and if he was genuinely ripped off, then naturally I'd be right behind him.

Looking at my credit card it seems Irongladiators charged me about the same for shipping mate. It's also weird how the money (amount of their order) has suddenly appeared back on my credit card with no contact from them.
I emailed them today and will await their reply.Hopefully it gets resolved. All that matters at this point is that you get what you paid for in a reasonable timeframe (within 2 weeks).

You seem to be taking this personally Dom, almost like you are connected to the business. Is this the case?My only connection to it is 2 separate orders over the past year. You mentioned my name when complaining about it which is why I'm discussing it.

olympic
10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Firstly, there are two posts on this page where he refers to me, and one directly. Surely I've got the right to explain why I recommended a particular business? You say Dave is a little ignorant about the whole online ordering process, well I've done business with that company twice and didn't have any problems so where's the problem with me sharing my perspective on it?

Nothing is being blown out of proportion. I just I thought it was poor form to be critical after 4 days, and it surprised me. If he chooses to never buy from IG again because he didn't get a prompt email reply, that's perfectly fine, and if he was genuinely ripped off, then naturally I'd be right behind him.

Hopefully it gets resolved. All that matters at this point is that you get what you paid for in a reasonable timeframe (within 2 weeks).

My only connection to it is 2 separate orders over the past year. You mentioned my name when complaining about it which is why I'm discussing it.

Theres no problem with you sharing your perspective.. you just seemed to be taking it personally. I don't think Dave was trying to come across as blaming you for anything.

Anyway this is such a small thing to be arguing over.. can we all be friends again now?

http://www.petmeister.com/Labrador_Puppy.jpg

dparm99
10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry if i offended you Dom and I probably shouldn't have mentioned your name.
Honestly i'd have no problem with the belt taking 2 - 3 weeks to arrive. I think it's just because the Inzer stuff arrived so quickly (when it's suppose to take ages) that i said what i said and expected more than i should have.
As long as i get the belt within the next 2 weeks i'll be happy.

Dominik
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Theres no problem with you sharing your perspective.. you just seemed to be taking it personally. I don't think Dave was trying to come across as blaming you for anything.

Anyway this is such a small thing to be arguing over.. can we all be friends again now?I wasn't arguing. More like responding. Nobody wants to recommend something and see a friend inconvenienced or ripped off because of it.

What's the first thing most people do if you complain about something they recommended? They'll initially defend it. Which is what I did. I placed two orders (that's right, no conspiracy, see below), one late last year, and another a few months ago, and both arrived on time. Hopefully his stuff arrives safely as well.

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/7127/igordersjt4.jpg

young and strong
10-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Nice overhead DB pressing there mate, real strong.

I'm going to stay out of this disscussion.

dparm99
10-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Nice overhead DB pressing there mate, real strong.

I'm going to stay out of this disscussion.

Cheers mate, I think that's the most reps i've done with the 32.5kg dbs.

dparm99
10-30-2007, 06:09 AM
BACK & BICEPS - 30th Oct 08

Rack pulls (at knees)
220 x 8 (484lbs x 8)
230 x 7 (506lbs x 7)
240 x 5 (528lbs x 5)

160 x 11 (352lbs x 11)
160 x 11

Bent over BB rows
100 x 11 (220lbs x 11)
100 x 10

Hyperextensions
bw +20 x 11 (+44lbs x 11)
bw +20 x 11

EZ bar curls
50 x 10 (110lbs x 10)
Dropset
40 x 11
30 x 10
20 x 11

NOTES: Absolutely loved the rack pulls! I didn't use much weight on them but really liked the way they felt. I also had good stamina on them which i don't normally have on deads. I think these will be the key to improving my deadlift.
Also happy to report that my back is back to 100%!

olympic
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Psycho rack pulls mate!

Its really good your back has healed up too.

dparm99
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Psycho rack pulls mate!

Its really good your back has healed up too.

Cheers mate.

Found out more info about the belt i ordered too. Apparently it's taking 17 days for the company to get it in stock (valid reason from what the guy was saying) so i probably won't get it for another 3 weeks at least.
At least i know what's happening now. It would have been nice if they'd told me when i'd ordered instead of me having to chase it up but i'm okay about the whole situation now (although it's a bit weird how they put the money back on my credit card, i presume they'll just take it off again once they ship the order).

young and strong
10-31-2007, 02:25 AM
Yeah very strong rack pulls, doesn't surprise me that much though considering your maxing 250kgs on deadlifts with all back. :D

dparm99
10-31-2007, 04:45 AM
Yeah very strong rack pulls, doesn't surprise me that much though considering your maxing 250kgs on deadlifts with all back. :D

Hey i get a little bit of leg drive in there :p SLDL ftw!

young and strong
10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey i get a little bit of leg drive in there :p SLDL ftw!

pfffft!!! Yeah a Little.

Your right SL deadlifts for ftw!

olympic
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
So are you training with that bloke from CAPO now?

dparm99
10-31-2007, 09:36 PM
So are you training with that bloke from CAPO now?

Nah mate, just going to do my own thing up until the comp. My gym membership runs out in December and when it does i'll probably switch gyms to the powerlifting one.

dparm99
11-01-2007, 01:26 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 1st Nov 08

Incline BB bench (slow controlled negative, 2 second pause at chest)
70 x 9 (154lbs x 9)
70 x 8
70 x 7

Flat DB bench
50 x 3 (110lbs x 3)
42.5 x 6

Pec deck
setting 11 x 11
setting 11 x 8

Weighted dips (narrow grip)
bw + 30 x 8 (+66lbs x 8)
bw + 30 x 7

10 x 13 (22lbs x 13)
10 x 11
10 x 10

NOTES: Crap workout! Incline BB bench took more out of me than i expected.

littlechick
11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
nice workout :)

and when is the comp?

dparm99
11-01-2007, 05:45 PM
nice workout :)

and when is the comp?

Which comp are you talking about? My first PL comp has been and gone (vids and results are a few pages back).
On the 8th December i'm going in the National Deadlift Comp, hoping to win my state division.

Dominik
11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
On the 8th December i'm going in the National Deadlift Comp, hoping to win my state division.Dave, what #'s are you aiming for? The IPF (drug tested) state record here for the 90kg/198 class is 290kg. Pretty ancient record too. I think 280-290 is definitely within your reach over the next 12 months, especially if you bring your squat up and stay injury free.

dparm99
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Dave, what #'s are you aiming for? The IPF (drug tested) state record here for the 90kg/198 class is 290kg. Pretty ancient record too. I think 280-290 is definitely within your reach over the next 12 months, especially if you bring your squat up and stay injury free.

My aim is 265kg mate. At this stage i'm thinking along the lines of:
1st attempt: 240kg
2nd attempt: 260kg
3rd attempt: 265 - 270kg (depending on how hard the 2nd attempt was).

Considering i got 252.5kg (with a few kgs to spare) at the comp a few weeks ago after 3 squats, 3 benches and 2 deads, i don't think it's an unrealistic goal. I'll be alot fresher this time and will be peak better for the meet unlike last time.

You should go in the comp mate, you could very well win the QLD section i reckon.

olympic
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
My aim is 265kg mate. At this stage i'm thinking along the lines of:
1st attempt: 240kg
2nd attempt: 260kg
3rd attempt: 265 - 270kg (depending on how hard the 2nd attempt was).

Considering i got 252.5kg (with a few kgs to spare) at the comp a few weeks ago after 3 squats, 3 benches and 2 deads, i don't think it's an unrealistic goal. I'll be alot fresher this time and will be peak better for the meet unlike last time.

You should go in the comp mate, you could very well win the QLD section i reckon.

You've easily got a good shot at 260+ based on all those reasons you mentioned.

If you get 270 that would be the magical 3x bodyweight deadlift... *drools*.

dparm99
11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
You've easily got a good shot at 260+ based on all those reasons you mentioned.

If you get 270 that would be the magical 3x bodyweight deadlift... *drools*.

Yeah i'll be very unhappy if i don't get 260kg+ mate. Although even if i only get 260kg it will still be a 3x bodyweight deadlift.
You still going in the comp?

olympic
11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah i'll be very unhappy if i don't get 260kg+ mate. Although even if i only get 260kg it will still be a 3x bodyweight deadlift.
You still going in the comp?

Won't be doing the deadlift comp - I decided against it for 2 reasons- I'll have just done a 3 lift meet the week before so I dont want to max out on deadlifts 2 weeks in a row and also the next 3 lift meet will be mid february next year so I'll need to start my next cycle almost straight away after this upcoming meet if I want to do it properly.

dparm99
11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Won't be doing the deadlift comp - I decided against it for 2 reasons- I'll have just done a 3 lift meet the week before so I dont want to max out on deadlifts 2 weeks in a row and also the next 3 lift meet will be mid february next year so I'll need to start my next cycle almost straight away after this upcoming meet if I want to do it properly.

Fair enough mate, probably a wise decision. You should go watch it and scope out the competition for me ;)

dparm99
11-02-2007, 05:08 AM
LEGS - 2nd Nov 08

Squats
110 x 6 (242lbs x 6)
100 x 8
100 x 6

Good mornings
60 x 13
70 x 13 (154lbs x 13)

Leg press
160 (+sled) x 8 (352lbs+sled x 8)
160 (+sled) x 8

Stiff leg deadlifts
120 x 12 (264lbs x 12)
120 x 12

Leg extensions (machine)
90 x 11
90 x 11

Ski jump calf raises
40 x 111 (88lbs x 111)

NOTES: Tried to fix my squat form but it was still crap. I tend to lean forward and kind of bend my body over too much. I tried putting the bar further back on my traps but it didn't help much. I'm pissed off about this and definately need help!

The GMs felt sketchy too. The bar kept rolling forward a bit and rubbed skin off my traps. The first set i did with straight legs and felt it mostly in my hamstrings and the second set i bent my knees a bit and rounded my back and felt it more in my lower back.

The SLDLs felt great and really worked my lower back (feeling wise) better than any exercise i've ever done.

olympic
11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Perhaps go see that bloke from CAPO and ask for some squat help.

dparm99
11-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Perhaps go see that bloke from CAPO and ask for some squat help.

Yeah i think i need to mate.
With the GMs did you find the bar rolled forward when going down?

olympic
11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Yeah i think i need to mate.
With the GMs did you find the bar rolled forward when going down?

Yes it used to ages ago but it doesn't do that anymore... not sure why.

Ezy10z
11-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Try pulling your shoulder blades together more before you start the good morning and hold them there. This seems to keep your arms pulled in tight and also try to keep your head looking forward and up throughout the movement. I found when I did that the bar didnt roll forward at all.

Rob.

dparm99
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Do you guys think i should try box squats to help my form?
I was thinking about putting a bench (or something solid) behind me at a height where i just hit parallel, that way i can't go down too low and hopefully it'll help me sit back in the squat more.
Good idea or not?

dparm99
11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Try pulling your shoulder blades together more before you start the good morning and hold them there. This seems to keep your arms pulled in tight and also try to keep your head looking forward and up throughout the movement. I found when I did that the bar didnt roll forward at all.

Rob.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Dominik
11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I was thinking about putting a bench (or something solid) behind me at a height where i just hit parallel, that way i can't go down too low and hopefully it'll help me sit back in the squat more.
Good idea or not?Definitely a good idea. They should also help your DL, and even more so if you use a similar stance.

If you haven't read it already, this is a good place to start. Introducing the Box Squat (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_120squat)

dparm99
11-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Definitely a good idea. They should also help your DL, and even more so if you use a similar stance.

If you haven't read it already, this is a good place to start. Introducing the Box Squat (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_120squat)

Cheers mate.
So are you going to go in the deadlift comp? :) (yes pushy)

Bodysteele
11-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Im subbed....

Im working on learning GMings also.....and we are somewhat the same strength in the lower body so itll be fun to watch.

dparm99
11-05-2007, 03:55 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS - 5th Nov 08

Flat BB bench
100 x 9 (220lbs x 9) [touch & go]
110 x 4 [paused]
110 x 4 [paused]

Seated DB press
32.5 x 7 (72lbs x 7)
32.5 x 5
32.5 x 5

Machine shoulder press
stack x 8
stack x 8

L lateral raises
17.5 x 13 (39lbs x 13)
17.5 x 12
17.5 x 11

Overhead dumbell extensions
30 x 15 (66lbs x 15)

60 x 17

Ski jump calf raises
60 x 77

NOTES: Solid workout. Not much else to say...

olympic
11-05-2007, 04:04 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS - 5th Nov 08

Flat BB bench
100 x 9 (220lbs x 9) [touch & go]
110 x 4 [paused]
110 x 4 [paused]

Lol you got me on those. Good job.

dparm99
11-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Lol you got me on those. Good job.

Truth be told mate i did 8 then thought to myself "Olympic got 9 so i have to" :) and the last rep went up...

young and strong
11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice benching man, it seems you are making some solid progress on it.

I'd like to be able to DB press those weights overhead too :)

dparm99
11-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Nice benching man, it seems you are making some solid progress on it.

I'd like to be able to DB press those weights overhead too :)

Progress on flat BB bench has always been pretty slow for me mate. I hate doing the exercise too which doesn't help much. But thanks anyway.

dparm99
11-06-2007, 04:07 AM
BACK & BICEPS - 6th Nov 08

Rack pulls (at knees)
230 x 9 (506lbs x 9)
245 x 4
245 x 5 (540lbs x 5)

150 x 13 (330lbs x 13)
150 x 13

Bent over BB rows
110 x 8 (242lbs x 8)
110 x 7

Machine pulldowns
stack (200lbs) x 8 [palms away]
stack (200lbs) x 6 [palms facing]

EZ bar curls
45 x 11 (99lbs x 11)
45 x 10

Hammer curls
17.5 x 10 (39lbs x 10)
17.5 x 8

NOTES: Good workout. Rackpulls were strong and felt good (except for ripping my callous' off). Forgot to do hyperextensions but no dramas as my back was fried anyway. Will up the weight again next week on rack pulls.

young and strong
11-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Strong rack pulls there man, your able to keep your back straight right when doing them. I'd hate to see you do 230kgsx9 with a rounded back :p

littlechick
11-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Good idea or not?

I found box squats not only helped my form, but helped me push more weight on my regular squat...

they are hard :eek:

have a good one :)

dparm99
11-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Strong rack pulls there man, your able to keep your back straight right when doing them. I'd hate to see you do 230kgsx9 with a rounded back :p

Thanks mate. I think my form is actually okay on the rack pulls. Anyway i've never had any issues from rounding my back and my back still feels great so i'm not too worried if i am rounding it.

I found box squats not only helped my form, but helped me push more weight on my regular squat...

they are hard :eek:

have a good one :)

Thanks for the head up. I know i'm ging to have to drop weight when doing them but if i stick with them they should help my squat alot i think.

dparm99
11-08-2007, 01:33 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 8th Nov 08

Flat DB bench
50 x 7 (110lbs x 7)
50 x 6
50 x 5

Pec deck
setting 12 x 10
setting 12 x 9

Incline BB bench (slow controlled negative, 2 second pause at chest)
62.5 x 10 (138lbs x 9)
62.5 x 7
62.5 x 6

bw + 40 x 6 (+88lbs x 6)
bw + 40 x 5

10 x 14 (22lbs x 14)
10 x 10
10 x 8

Overhead DB extensions
30 x 15 (66lbs x 15)
30 x 11

Tricep pulldowns (rope attachment)
60 x 11 (132lbs x 11)
55 x 11

NOTES: Pretty good workout. Chest is feeling nice and sore now.

dparm99
11-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Decided to take some new pics today. My posing sucks balls and makes me look lobsided more than i am but anyway. I've made improvemnets from the front (though i've got along way to go and hate the way i look front on) and i noticed some slight improvements in my back (especially traps). Legs still suck but are definately getting better.
Anyway here's the pics...

dparm99
11-08-2007, 02:02 AM
And a side tricep pic i just took.

young and strong
11-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Nice dude, back and legs are defiantly your strong point. You could show a drive in movie on your back lol.

Gotta work on chest and arms a little more and them you'll be looking real big.

ElSpaceBandito
11-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Nice dude, back and legs are defiantly your strong point.
Hmm, I thought his legs were lagging!

But your back is definitely your best part ..

dparm99
11-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Nice dude, back and legs are defiantly your strong point. You could show a drive in movie on your back lol.

Gotta work on chest and arms a little more and them you'll be looking real big.

Legs my strong point mate - are you drunk!? haha

Here's an arm pic.

Ezy10z
11-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Your back is totally tanked no wonder your strong on the deadlifts and huge for your bodyweight. I'd say you look about 10kg heavier than you actually are.

Rob.

dparm99
11-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Your back is totally tanked no wonder your strong on the deadlifts and huge for your bodyweight. I'd say you look about 10kg heavier than you actually are.

Rob.

Thanks mate. I have a very small bone structure.

olympic
11-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Back is looking huge mate. Others have already mentioned what needs work.

You have a really skinny waist/hips too - good for the bodybuilding but not so flash for squatting.

littlechick
11-08-2007, 05:12 AM
nice back!

Endeavourer
11-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Triceps and back are coming out nicely, well done man!

dparm99
11-09-2007, 12:34 AM
LEGS - 9th Nov 08

Box squats
100 x 8 (220lbs x 8)
100 x 8
100 x 8

Good mornings
70 x 15
80 x 13 (176lbs x 13)

Leg extensions (machine)
100 x 13
110 x 9
110 x 8

Leg press
160 (+sled) x 10
160 (+sled) x 10

Stiff leg deadlifts
130 x 12 (286lbs x 12)
135 x 11

NOTES: Box squats felt good and were pretty easy. They definately helped me sit back more in the squat and i felt it more in my hams and glutes than i normally do. I think these will be the key to improving my squat.
My grips starts to give out at the end of sets with SLDL which sucks, might have to switch to a mixed grip when the weight gets a bit higher.
Overall happy with the workout, i'm totally stuffed now.

Dominik
11-09-2007, 01:34 AM
My grips starts to give out at the end of sets with SLDL which sucks, might have to switch to a mixed grip when the weight gets a bit higher.Dave, just get a pair of straps for them. As the weights get heavier on rack pulls and shrugs you'll probably want to start using them on your heavy DL assistance lifts and save the mixed grip for pulling from the floor.

I know the grip fanatics talk about straps like they're the devil but the reality is the world's best powerlifter uses them, as do all the strongmen, so they've got a purpose.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5316/boltonshrugs340kg8repsjv1.jpg

young and strong
11-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Damn that dudes doing 765 pounds ^^^^^

Nice box squats mate, i might give them a try when my backs better. Because i have the same sort of form you do on squats.

dparm99
11-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Dave, just get a pair of straps for them. As the weights get heavier on rack pulls and shrugs you'll probably want to start using them on your heavy DL assistance lifts and save the mixed grip for pulling from the floor.

I know the grip fanatics talk about straps like they're the devil but the reality is the world's best powerlifter uses them, as do all the strongmen, so they've got a purpose.

I've actually got a pair of straps mate. I tried them out on BB rows once but hated the way they felt so haven't used them since. Might have to give them another go...

Endeavourer
11-09-2007, 04:12 AM
haha.. i think i rely on those straps too much and found bruises on my hands! (well, lifting too much deadlifts)

dparm99
11-12-2007, 03:57 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS/CALVES - 12th Nov 08

Flat BB bench (touch and go)
110 x 6 (242lbs x 6)
110 x 5
110 x 5

Seated DB press (slow and controlled)
30 x 8 (66lbs x 8)
30 x 8
30 x 7

Machine shoulder press
stack x 11
stack x 10

L lateral raises
17.5 x 17 (39lbs x 17)
17.5 x 15
17.5 x 13

Lying tricep extensions
40 x 11 (88lbs x 11)
40 x 9

Ski jump calf raises
60 x 50
60 x 66 (132lbs x 66)

NOTES: Bench was fairly easy, will go up to 115kg next week. Put lying tricep extensions back in the mix - didn't hurt my elbows too much but i'll have to be careful with them. Love the ski jump calf raises!
Rack pulls tomorrow - planning on doing sets at 240, 250 & 260kgs.

olympic
11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Solid work on the bench- you've improved quickly on that since adding it back in regularly.

young and strong
11-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Sweet man, i reakon your bench is getting stronger for sure.

Endeavourer
11-12-2007, 04:00 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS/CALVES - 12th Nov 08

Nice bench mate... time really flies!!!

dparm99
11-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Solid work on the bench- you've improved quickly on that since adding it back in regularly.

Sweet man, i reakon your bench is getting stronger for sure.

Nice bench mate... time really flies!!!

Thanks guys. Flat BB bench has always been one of the hardest exercises to add weight to for me, but it's slowly getting there.

I've aborted my cut and have been eating up big lately - the other night after a big meal out and and a few beers i jumped on the scales and nearly hit 90kg! Will have to watch my weight a bit coming up to the comp.

dparm99
11-13-2007, 04:28 AM
BACK & BICEPS - 13th Nov 07

Rack pulls (at knees)
240 x 6 [warm up/testing hand soreness]

250 x 8 (550lbs x 8)
260 x 5 (572lbs x 5)

170 x 13 (374lbs x 13)
170 x 12

Bent over BB rows
110 x 10 (242lbs x 10)
120 x 8 (264lbs x 8)

Hyperextensions
bw + 20 x 11
bw + 20 x 15 (+ 44lbs x 15)

Machine pulldowns
stack (200lbs) x 8 [palms away]

EZ bar curls
45 x 11 (99lbs x 11)
45 x 9

Hammer curls
17.5 x 10 (39lbs x 10)

NOTES: Awesome workout! Rack pulls just keep going up and by a fair way too (220 x 8 two weeks ago, 230 x 9 last week and 250 x 8 tonight). I really hope these carry over to my deadlift! Only problem with the rack pulls is ripping the callous' off my hands but i can live with that.
I also went heavier on shrugs and rows than i ever have before.
Considering I had 2 hours of really bad stomach pains before my workout i'm really happy and surprised with how things went.

Endeavourer
11-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Year 2008 already? I must be glad that daylight savings really save a year... haha.. just kiddin'...

That's huge on bent over row man! Good on ya! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

dparm99
11-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Year 2008 already? I must be glad that daylight savings really save a year... haha.. just kiddin'...

Oops thanks for picking that up mate.

That's huge on bent over row man! Good on ya!

Cheers, i'm making good progress at the moment.

Dominik
11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
NOTES: Awesome workout! Rack pulls just keep going up and by a fair way too (220 x 8 two weeks ago, 230 x 9 last week and 250 x 8 tonight). I really hope these carry over to my deadlift! Only problem with the rack pulls is ripping the callous' off my hands but i can live with that.
I also went heavier on shrugs and rows than i ever have before.
Considering I had 2 hours of really bad stomach pains before my workout i'm really happy and surprised with how things went.Great workout Dave, solid on everything. It'll be interesting to see how the rack pulls impact on your deads.

It's strange how you can feel like crap but have a great workout and at other times feel 100% but go in there and suck. You never really know how it'll go until you get in there and start lifting, which is what you did instead of making excuses and calling it off.

dparm99
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Great workout Dave, solid on everything. It'll be interesting to see how the rack pulls impact on your deads.

It's strange how you can feel like crap but have a great workout and at other times feel 100% but go in there and suck. You never really know how it'll go until you get in there and start lifting, which is what you did instead of making excuses and calling it off.

Cheers mate. Do you think i should do deads from the floor next week or the week after? (final week of training). Or not at all?

young and strong
11-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Huge rack pulls, why the such high reps on them anyway?

dparm99
11-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Huge rack pulls, why the such high reps on them anyway?

It wasn't planned mate, i wasn't expecting to be able to do so many reps.

Dominik
11-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Cheers mate. Do you think i should do deads from the floor next week or the week after? (final week of training). Or not at all?I think a few sets of singles around 85-90% couldn't hurt, just to make sure your technique is solid, and then have a week off.

dparm99
11-14-2007, 12:41 AM
I think i'll stick with rack pulls for next week seeing i'm going so well on them and don't want to break the momentum. I'll aim for sets at 260, 270 & 280kg.
Then the following week (last workout before comp) i'll pull from the floor, but only a heavy triple (at 240kg IF i can get it) and that will be all. After that back workout it will be 11 days until the comp.

In other good news my belt got shipped today (apparently red was the hardest colour to get), so hopefully it will arrive in time for me to get used to it before the comp.

Dominik
11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
In other good news my belt got shipped today (apparently red was the hardest colour to get), so hopefully it will arrive in time for me to get used to it before the comp.Glad to hear it. Red, you show-off Dave :)

young and strong
11-14-2007, 01:40 AM
I think i'll stick with rack pulls for next week seeing i'm going so well on them and don't want to break the momentum. I'll aim for sets at 260, 270 & 280kg.
Then the following week (last workout before comp) i'll pull from the floor, but only a heavy triple (at 240kg IF i can get it) and that will be all. After that back workout it will be 11 days until the comp.

In other good news my belt got shipped today (apparently red was the hardest colour to get), so hopefully it will arrive in time for me to get used to it before the comp.

Sounds good, but how about make it a lighter triple. Like 200kgsx3. My powerlifting coach said never to do anything heavy a week before the comp.

Just some thoughts

dparm99
11-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Sounds good, but how about make it a lighter triple. Like 200kgsx3. My powerlifting coach said never to do anything heavy a week before the comp.

Just some thoughts

Well it'll be 11 days before the comp mate so a fair bit longer than a week. The main reason i want to do it is to test where i'm at for the comp (ie what numbers to go for in the comp). 200kg x 3 isn't going to do anything for me imo. Thanks for the suggestion anyway mate.

dparm99
11-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Glad to hear it. Red, you show-off Dave :)

Haha yeah well it'll go well with my blue soft suit mate, i'll have kind of a superman theme going on :)

young and strong
11-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Well it'll be 11 days before the comp mate so a fair bit longer than a week. The main reason i want to do it is to test where i'm at for the comp (ie what numbers to go for in the comp). 200kg x 3 isn't going to do anything for me imo. Thanks for the suggestion anyway mate.

Oh okay, 11 days is plenty of time to recover.

Go For It!!

dparm99
11-15-2007, 04:13 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 15th Nov 07

Flat DB bench [heavy]
50 x 9 (110lbs x 9)

Flat DB bench [slow controlled reps, pause and squeeze at top]
40 x 9
35 x 9

Incline BB bench [slow controlled negative, 2 second pause at chest]
60 x 9 (132lbs x 9)
60 x 8
60 x 8

Pec deck
setting 13 x 10
setting 13 x 9

bw + 40 x 6 (+88lbs x 6)
bw + 40 x 5

10 x 13 (22lbs x 13)
Dropset
10 x 11
7.5 x 11
5 x 11
2.5 x 11

60 x 11 (132lbs x 11)
55 x 13

Overhead DB extensions
25 x 10

NOTES: Fell one rep short of hitting my end of year goal of 50kg DB's on flat bench for 10 reps. But happy as it was a 2 rep PR. Should get 10 reps next week. I've decided from now on (DB bench) to do one heavy set at the start then lower the weight and slow things down and really focus on form, it worked well tonight and felt good.

Endeavourer
11-15-2007, 05:14 AM
Hey Dave, is there a reason that you can do better in dips than bench press?

By the way, your dips are awesome!

dparm99
11-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Hey Dave, is there a reason that you can do better in dips than bench press?

By the way, your dips are awesome!

Just wondering - what makes you say they're better than my bench mate?

I used to go heavier on them (about 65kg for 5 reps) but that was with a wider grip. At the gym i go to i can only do narrow grip ones. I also do them as my forth exercise now where before i sometimes used to start the workout with them.
Cheers.

Endeavourer
11-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Maybe just a personal thing, because i've been doing 85kg bench press, wide grip and i can only do about 20kg dips, so i was wondering... but i do agree that narrow grip is harder though.

dparm99
11-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Just hoped on the scales (after a big feed + milk) and for the first time ever i've hit the 90kg mark! I know it doesn't sound like much but it's been a goal of mine for ages so really happy to get there. When i started i was 65kg, so i've put on 25kg since i've been lifting (and i'm at about the same bodyfat as when i started).

dparm99
11-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Maybe just a personal thing, because i've been doing 85kg bench press, wide grip and i can only do about 20kg dips, so i was wondering... but i do agree that narrow grip is harder though.

Fair enough mate, but remember on flat BB bench i do 100kg x 9 or 110kg x 6.
So i think my dips are about the same in relation.

Endeavourer
11-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Just hoped on the scales (after a big feed + milk) and for the first time ever i've hit the 90kg mark! I know it doesn't sound like much but it's been a goal of mine for ages so really happy to get there. When i started i was 65kg, so i've put on 25kg since i've been lifting (and i'm at about the same bodyfat as when i started).

well done man!

Im about the same too... started 68kg and im around 82.5kg these days.

So whats the plan? keep gaining or cut it down?

dparm99
11-15-2007, 05:56 AM
well done man!

Im about the same too... started 68kg and im around 82.5kg these days.

So whats the plan? keep gaining or cut it down?

I'm torn between cutting and bulking atm mate. Powerlifting wise it'd be better for me to cut, but bodybuilding wise better to keep bulking. I think bodybuilding will win out. As long as i can weigh in under 90kg for my powerlifting comps i'm happy.

Good job on your gains btw.

olympic
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Nice job on the DB's.

You've got no fat to cut so don't worry about that. If you've only just hit 90 then you should be fine to keep bulking all the way to the comp and if its becoming an issue just drop some of the calories out in the last week.

dparm99
11-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice job on the DB's.

You've got no fat to cut so don't worry about that. If you've only just hit 90 then you should be fine to keep bulking all the way to the comp and if its becoming an issue just drop some of the calories out in the last week.

Yeah i get to weigh in the day before the comp (have that day off work which is good) so i'm hoping to weigh in at about 87kg or so.

dparm99
11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
LEGS - 16th Nov 07

Box squats
110 x 11 (242lbs x 11)
120 x 8 (264lbs x 8)
130 x 5 (286lbs x 5)

Leg extensions (machine)
110 x 11
110 x 9

Leg press
160 (+sled) x 11

NOTES: Just a short workout today as my lower back was still sore from rack pulls on tuesday. I'm was feeling plenty of soreness in it during the box squats so there was no way i was going to go GMs or SLDLs.
Anyway the box squats went well, i'm still leaning forward a bit when i'm struggling but alot better than my form used to be.
Going out for dinner and drinks tonight with my gf and her friends and then staying at the 5 star hotel where my gf works, should be a good night!

dparm99
11-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Ended up drinking too much last night and only getting 2 hours sleep, so chucked a sicky from work today. No more big nights before the deadlift comp.

Was just looking up some records (unequipped deadlift) from the World Drug Free Powerlifting Federation (WDFPF): http://www.worlddrugfreepowerliftingfederation.org/records2005/unequipped/unequipped.pdf and they weren't as high as i thought they'd be. I'm hoping i can give them a shake in another year to year and a half.

wala
11-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Nice session dude, but I see why you did a short one with your back still being tender from back day.

I had the exact same problem last week! Although thise week i was totall fine and hit a few PRs in both back on tuesday and then a few for legs last night.. I guess my body got used to it this week..

dparm99
11-19-2007, 02:45 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS/CALVES - 19th Nov 07

Seated DB press
37.5 x 5 (83lbs x 5)
35 x 6
35 x 6

Flat BB bench (paused)
100 x 5 (220lbs x 5)
100 x 5

Machine shoulder press
stack x 17
stack x 10

L lateral raises
20 x 12 (44lbs x 12)
20 x 11
20 x 10

Lying tricep extensions
42.5 x 11 (94lbs x 11)
42.5 x 8

Ski jump calf raises
60 x 33
60 x 33

NOTES: Pretty good short workout. Decided to give the 37.5kg DBs a go on shoulder press, they felt pretty heavy but got 5 reps which was okay i guess. Tomorrow is rack pulls :)

olympic
11-19-2007, 04:59 AM
The pause knocked a good 10kg off your bench. So that means you'd probably have 135-140 touch and go bench... mate you are pretty crazy strong for your bodyweight.

dparm99
11-19-2007, 03:43 PM
The pause knocked a good 10kg off your bench. So that means you'd probably have 135-140 touch and go bench... mate you are pretty crazy strong for your bodyweight.

Yeah plus i did it as second exercise mate so my tris were a bit tired. Thanks anyway.

young and strong
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Man strong overheads, Olympic's right. Pound for pound you can give a can compete with most strong guys.

dparm99
11-20-2007, 03:00 PM
BACK & BICEPS - 20th Nov 07

Rack pulls (at knees)
260 x 6 (572lbs x 8)
272.5 x 3 (600lbs x 3)

Shrugs
180 x 11 (396lbs x 11)
180 x 11

Bent over BB rows
120 x 8 (264lbs x 18)
125 x 7 (275lbs x 7)

Machine pulldowns
stack (200lbs) x 10
stack (200lbs) x 8

EZ bar curls
45 x 12 (99lbs x 12)
Dropset
45 x 10
35 x 8
25 x 10

NOTES: Well it seems i've hit the wall on rack pulls, was bound to happen i guess. Even though i had no callous to rip off i took skin off again (below my finger between middle and pinkie on left hand) and my hand started bleeding and it hurts to straighten it atm.
Anyway next week i'll be aiming (fingers crossed!) for 240kg x 3 from the floor (for one set only) then that's it before the comp.

dparm99
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Also took a quick pic last night...

olympic
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
600lbs! Mustve felt good. Mate you'll be setting national records soon at this rate.

dparm99
11-20-2007, 04:37 PM
600lbs! Mustve felt good. Mate you'll be setting national records soon at this rate.

Thanks mate, it felt pretty bloody heavy! Hopefully some records will come in time...

dparm99
11-22-2007, 12:07 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 22nd Nov 07

Flat BB bench (touch & go)
115 x 5 (253lbs x 5)

40 x 9 (88lbs x 9)
35 x 10

Pec deck
setting 11 x 11
setting 11 x 8

60 x 10 (132lbs x 10)
60 x 9
60 x 8

bw + 20 x 11 (+44lbs x 11)
bw + 20 x 8

7.5 x 17 (17lbs x 17)
7.5 x 15
7.5 x 15

60 x 17 (132lbs x 17)
60 x 13
Dropset
55 x 10
45 x 10
35 x 10
25 x 10
15 x 11

NOTES: Nearly got 6 reps @ 115kg on flat BB bench but failed about 3/4 of the way up (past my normal sticking point). Rest of the workout was pretty average.

young and strong
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Strong chest workout man, how are you feeling the new form with the DB bench is working for ya??

Ezy10z
11-22-2007, 02:42 AM
You look huge in that pic. Have you taken your shoulder measurement lately?? Do you think 240 x 3 reps will be to much before the comp? Have you considered doing maybe 230? or something just under your 1st attempt? If you get it easy well you know everything is going to plan.

Rob.

dparm99
11-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Strong chest workout man, how are you feeling the new form with the DB bench is working for ya??

Thanks mate, it seems to be working okay, but i need to give it more time. It's aimed at increasing my chest growth.

You look huge in that pic. Have you taken your shoulder measurement lately?? Do you think 240 x 3 reps will be to much before the comp? Have you considered doing maybe 230? or something just under your 1st attempt? If you get it easy well you know everything is going to plan.

Rob.

Cheers, i took shoulder measurements a few weeks back. Because of my small bone structure i probably look wider in pics than i actually measure.
I'm now undecided about what weight i'll be doing next week (read post below as to why).

dparm99
11-22-2007, 03:04 AM
Went and saw the powerlifting guy today and i'm going to do my last workout (back workout) before the comp there next tuesday. He's getting a deadlift suit for me to try out (borrowing it off the freak that has pulled 336kg @ 89.9kg bodyweight). Hopefully my belt will be here by then so i can try it out with the suit (and my deadlift slippers too). All these things plus the fact i'll be training where the comp will be held will be good experience i reckon.
Not sure what weight i'll use, have to play it by ear and see how the suit and belt feel. All this has now got me thinking about the big 600lb (272.5kg) mark for the comp, but realistically it's still a bit of a long shot.
I'll also be switching to the powerlifting gym come the start of December.

olympic
11-22-2007, 03:24 AM
600lbs from the floor would be nice.

Considering lockout is your sticking point and you got 600lbs for 3 in the rack pulls I don't see why you couldn't get that in the comp even without the suit, belt and slippers.

Your benching is getting strong real fast.

dparm99
11-22-2007, 03:37 AM
600lbs from the floor would be nice.

Considering lockout is your sticking point and you got 600lbs for 3 in the rack pulls I don't see why you couldn't get that in the comp even without the suit, belt and slippers.

Your benching is getting strong real fast.

I still think 600lbs will be a bit of a stretch even with the suit, just have to wait and see. I'll get a good idea after my workout on tuesday.
My benching is coming along okay. I'm going to keep doing it 2x a week for a while and see how it works out.
Good luck for your max bench tomorrow mate.

Ezy10z
11-22-2007, 05:14 AM
That guy from CAPO seems like a really good bloke and going out of his way to help you. Although the suit helps it doesnt lift it for you but definitely give you more drive of the floor and help you drive through your sticking point. You getting up to some seriously big weights now and probably a good idea to wear the belt for protection. When wearing the belt make sure you push your stomach against it and not suck it in. Doing it this way will give you a lot more support.

Rob.

dparm99
11-22-2007, 05:39 AM
That guy from CAPO seems like a really good bloke and going out of his way to help you. Although the suit helps it doesnt lift it for you but definitely give you more drive of the floor and help you drive through your sticking point. You getting up to some seriously big weights now and probably a good idea to wear the belt for protection. When wearing the belt make sure you push your stomach against it and not suck it in. Doing it this way will give you a lot more support.

Rob.

Thanks for the tip mate, i'll let you know how it all goes after the workout on tuesday.

littlechick
11-22-2007, 05:39 AM
great pic :)

and good luck!!

dparm99
11-22-2007, 11:17 PM
LEGS/BICEPS - 23rd Nov 07

Box squats
120 x 10 (264lbs x 10)
130 x 6 (286lbs x 6)
135 x 4 (297lbs x 4)

Stiff legged deads
150 x 11 (330lbs x 11)
150 x 10

Leg press
170 (+sled) x 11
180 (+sled) x 11 (396lbs+sled x 11)

Leg extensions (machine)
110 x 10
110 x 10

Cable bicep curls
50 x 17 (110lbs x 17)
60 x 11 (132lbs x 11)

Hammer curls
15 x 11 (33lbs x 11)

Ski jump calf raises
60 x 44
60 x 60 (132lbs x 60)

NOTES: An okay workout. Unfortunately i had a pounding headache through the whole workout and was really out of breath so had to take longer breaks between sets than usual. My strength still seemed about par which was good.
I'm really feeling the box squats working my hams, glutes and lower back which is good and my form has improved greatly.

young and strong
11-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice box squats mate, what do you you could do i normal squats now??

SL Deadlifts are looking really strong too, very impressive!

dparm99
11-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Nice box squats mate, what do you you could do i normal squats now??

SL Deadlifts are looking really strong too, very impressive!

Cheers man. Probably could still only squat the 155kg i did in the comp i reckon, but with much better form. As i continue with the box squats and my hamstrings and glutes (and lower back) get stronger i'm sure they'll go up a fair bit. Don't plan on maxing anytime soon though (only in comps).

dparm99
11-26-2007, 03:58 AM
SHOULDERS/TRIS/CALVES - 26th Nov 07

Flat BB bench
120 x 4 (264lbs x 4) [touch & go]
110 x 6 (242lbs x 6) [paused]

Seated DB press
32.5 x 9 (72lbs x 9)
32.5 x 7
32.5 x 7

L lateral raises
20 x 13 (44lbs x 13)
20 x 12
20 x 11

Machine shoulder press
stack x 13
stack x 10

Lying tricep extensions
45 x 11 (99lbs x 11)
40 x 10

Ski jump calf raises
60 x 55
60 x 55

NOTES: Benching was easy tonight. Probably could have got another rep on both sets but didn't want to push it. Everything else was pretty strong too.
Tomorrow is the big night where i try out the deadlifting suit and a belt (mine still hasn't arrived so will probably have to borrow one). It's also my last back workout before the comp.

Endeavourer
11-26-2007, 04:25 AM
I should give lying triceps ext a go sometimes... havent done that for ages... Nice DB Shoulder Press mate, good load on the lateral raise as well.

littlechick
11-26-2007, 05:58 AM
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!

Dominik
11-26-2007, 08:10 AM
NOTES: Benching was easy tonight. Probably could have got another rep on both sets but didn't want to push it. Everything else was pretty strong too.
Tomorrow is the big night where i try out the deadlifting suit and a belt (mine still hasn't arrived so will probably have to borrow one). It's also my last back workout before the comp.Damn, that sucks about the belt not arriving yet. I know everyone is different but I've gotten nothing out of mine on DL. It's probably a bit of a gamble experimenting with a suit/belt so close to a meet but hopefully it all works out well.

Not sure what you're aiming for at the comp but if you can come away with a 3x bw lift that'll be insane. Having followed your progress over the past year I couldn't be happier for you. All the hard work is paying off.

dparm99
11-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I should give lying triceps ext a go sometimes... havent done that for ages... Nice DB Shoulder Press mate, good load on the lateral raise as well.

Thanks mate.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!

Cheers, hopefully the suit experiment goes well.

Damn, that sucks about the belt not arriving yet. I know everyone is different but I've gotten nothing out of mine on DL. It's probably a bit of a gamble experimenting with a suit/belt so close to a meet but hopefully it all works out well.

Not sure what you're aiming for at the comp but if you can come away with a 3x bw lift that'll be insane. Having followed your progress over the past year I couldn't be happier for you. All the hard work is paying off.

Yeah it is a bit of a gamble mate but if the suit doesn't work i'll just pull raw at the comp.

Thanks for the kind words mate. You've definately helped me along the way and been a big inspiration. Since coming back from my 6 month break i've worked really hard and i know if i hit the 3x bw lift i've earnt it.

dparm99
11-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Deadlifts

245kg x 1 (540lbs x 1) [w/ deadlift suit]

245kg x 1 (540lbs x 1) [w/ deadlift suit]

245kg above knees but not locked out [unsuited]

Tried out the deadlift suit tonight and not really a fan of it. It was pretty uncomfortable and made the lifts feel a bit unnatural. I felt it was screwing up my lockouts so i took it off for the third lift but i couldn't even lock it out :( (probably because i was too drained as much as not having the suit on).
The suit was tight around the crotch area and lower regions but loose up top, so was by no means a perfect fit. I didn't use a belt either (mine still hasn't arrived!).
To be honest tonight really shot my confidence but i'll regroup and be back. I'd still like to pull 260kg+ at the comp but i'm very unsure about it now.
I also did some shrugs, rows and curls tonight.

littlechick
11-27-2007, 05:34 AM
do you have to compete in the suit????
sounds uncomfortable :(

olympic
11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Thats not much fun about the suit mate. From the sounds of it it looks like it might take more than one night to get used to it.

You'll still do well at the comp- just take some time off before it and you'll be fine.

dparm99
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
do you have to compete in the suit????
sounds uncomfortable :(

No the suit is optional and i won't be using it at the comp.

Thats not much fun about the suit mate. From the sounds of it it looks like it might take more than one night to get used to it.
You'll still do well at the comp- just take some time off before it and you'll be fine.

Yeah i reckon it'd take a good few weeks to get used to it properly.
It felt weird pulling from the floor again too. Anyway if i can get 260kg at the comp i'll settle for that now. Not sure if i'll get 3x bw cause i've put some weight on lately.

ozzybob
11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Good luck mate.

Oh and subbed'!

dparm99
11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Good luck mate.

Oh and subbed'!

Cheers mate & welcome!

young and strong
11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
You'll be right, sounds as if the suit wasn't really worth the trouble.

dparm99
11-29-2007, 05:35 AM
CHEST & TRICEPS - 29th Nov 07

Flat BB bench
125 x 3 (275lbs x 3) [touch & go]

40 x 11 (88lbs x 11)
40 x 8

60 x 111 (132lbs x 11)
60 x 10
60 x 10

Pec deck
setting 10 x 11
setting 10 x 11

60 x 19 (132lbs x 19)
60 x 15
60 x 13
Dropset
50 x 13
35 x 11
20 x 17

NOTES: Benching was weak tonight. I've got a strange soreness in my upper chest/neck/traps from the deads i did on tuesday which affected m,e a bit tonight (that's why i skipped some exercises).
Tomorrow is leg day then on monday i'll hit shoulders/tris/calves and that will be all the lifting before the comp on saturday the 8th.

Endeavourer
11-29-2007, 06:10 AM
125kg on bench is huge man...

olympic
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Really nice benching.

young and strong
11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
125kgs isn't weak, are you kidding me??

I think that's the most i've seen you do :D

dparm99
11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
125kg on bench is huge man...

Really nice benching.

Thanks guys.

125kgs isn't weak, are you kidding me??

I think that's the most i've seen you do :D

It is but the 120kg x 4 on monday felt heaps better. Also i only got 115kg x 3 paused whereas i got 110kg x 6 paused on monday too.