PDA

View Full Version : Handgun advice...

Deathstroke
09-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Although I've always been a staunch supporter of gun rights, I have never owned a handgun. I have only owned a shotgun and a few rifles given to me. I've decided to go ahead and pick up my first handgun. I am open to purchasing any brand. I've asked around and so far a few different Sig's and glocks have come up which I've been told are exceptional handguns.

Keep in mind, I am willing to spend alot but I feel I don't know enough about handguns to make an informed decision, so I am hoping some of you gun enthusiasts out there could point me in the right direction and give me advice on a good FIRST handgun.

nognig
09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Everybody is different and there are a lot of great guns out there. Your best bet is to find a range that rents handguns. Shoot as many as you can and see what you like and don't like.

A few popular makers are:

SIG - expensive, but very high quality (~$750)
HK - expensive, but again very high quality (~$800)
Glock - very reliable, lots of models to choose from (~$500)
XD - a nice alternative to Glock, different feel from a glock (~$450)
Taurus - pretty affordable and some models have great reputations (~$350)

And may I suggest a 9mm? Or at least, pay attention to how much the ammo is going to cost you. .45ACP costs twice what 9mm does ($12/100 Winchester White Box), .40S&W costs 50% more than 9mm and .357sig is even more than .45ACP.

NN

Xamine
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Personally...My 3 fav guns are..
Rev- .38
semi auto- 380 Special, or a 9mm

Deathstroke
09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanx a bunch. I can't rep now but I will as soon as I can.

guest89
09-04-2006, 05:33 PM
What do you plan on using the handgun for?

Home Defence, Range plinking, SHTF, or competing?
I'd suggest if possible you rent or borrow some handguns and experiment around and see what feels best in your hand, what you like, what you can shoot the most accurate with..ect.

If not possible at least at a gunshop hold and experiment with each one before you make a choice.

You also might wanna check out CZ, Smith and Wesson, Colt, and Ruger ( I dont think anyone has mentioned these brands yet).

You may even want to consider a .22, extremely cheap to shoot every handgun owner needs one to perfect his shooting. I run 500 rounds a week through my .22 handgun, in my backyard. Thats only 10$ a week for tons of shooting. Figure a .22 as a first handgun for plinking, its a cheaper weapon and its cheaper ammo. If you like shooting handguns you can step up to a bigger weapon after you are more familure with what type of weapon you like.

All the guns I listed, and the guns nognig listed are all exellent weapons. My favorites are Colt and Sig.

Deathstroke
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Home defense and a little plinking. :)

I'll rent and experiment first with all the ones you just named. Thanks.

dannyman80
09-04-2006, 05:48 PM
There's really no "best" handgun. There are good handguns and there are bad handguns. But personal preference is a huge factor.

I agree that if you haven't shot a handgun much before, definitely get a .22 like a Ruger MKIII or something similar to practice. Nothing is better for getting your skills down pat. The ammo is so cheap you can shoot all day at the range for an absolute fraction of the cost that even the cheapest standard handgun would run you.

But for good popular choices that are prevalent it's worth looking at Sig 2XX series, USP's, Glocks, Beretta 92's, CZ 75/85's, any of the million different 1911's on the market, Browning HP's. That names a good chunk of the pistols on the market but any of those are proven and you would be unlikely to be very disappointed with.

But don't buy before you try.

BlueBayou
09-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Home defense and a little plinking. :)

I'll rent and experiment first with all the ones you just named. Thanks.

I assume you're only considering semi-auto...

Start out at first with a 9 mm. Easy to shoot well and cheapest target ammo apart from .22, but still packs enough power to drop a bad guy with premium JHP ammo. Shoot it as much as you can. Many who start out on .40, .45, or other-more-powerful-caliber have a hard time at first and they can also induce a hard to get rid of, involuntary flinch. The 9mm, with today's premium JHP's, is almost as effective as the .40 and .45, but with much less recoil. But the 9mm is the minimum I would consider in a semi-auto for self-defense.

If you are not going to carry concealed, I would suggest you look at a Glock G17(full-size) or G19(compact) or Sig 226 in 9mm. If you may be carrying this one concealed, look at a Sig 229 in 9mm or a Glock G19 or G26(sub-compact). The Glock 19 is the most popular selling handgun in America today for non-LEO. That says something. The NYPD and several other Police Departments issue the G19, but the G22(full-size .40) is the most popular handgun for law enforcement in America. The G19 is an awesome gun and fits many people's hands perfectly. But Glocks can be hard to shoot at first for some people, while others can drive nails with them. Also you may dislike the lessened safety level of the Glocks when a round is chambered. You cannot stick a Glock in your pocket with 'one in the chamber' unless you wanna lose your balls or kneecap or your life. A Glock must be kept in a holster -to cover the trigger- if you are going to keep a round in the chamber.

So, find a range that rents and try some different guns out. This will make all the difference in the world. "Guns are like gloves, some fit just right and some dont." Tell the range owner if youve never shot a handgun before and get yourself some free pointers/tips on how to shoot well. And also, the range owner may be able to help you choose which guns to look at. Try to go in when he isnt busy with other customers, like in the morning. Dont hide it if you are a novice, tell him so and ask for help.

If you can also pick up a semi-auto .22 LR, this will be invaluable for training experience and just plain fun and costs pennies to shoot. There are many to choose from, but the Rugers are among the best.

Good luck and have fun!

dannyman80
09-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I assume you're only considering semi-auto...

Lollll as opposed to buying a Glock 18 or Beretta 93? What do you mean by that? self loading vs. revolver?

BlueBayou
09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Lollll as opposed to buying a Glock 18 or Beretta 93? What do you mean by that? self loading vs. revolver?

Semi-auto vs revolver

This is the common terminology in the USA and most of the world.....?

Whar you from?

dannyman80
09-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Semi-auto vs revolver

This is the common terminology in the USA and most of the world.....?

Whar you from?

Canada.. here if differentiating between a revolver and a standard pistol I always hear "self-loading". That makes more sense than revolver vs. semi-automatic. A double action revolver is a semi-automatic firearm just like any pistol with a slide and magazine is.

Johan.Liebert
09-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Everybody is different and there are a lot of great guns out there. Your best bet is to find a range that rents handguns. Shoot as many as you can and see what you like and don't like.

A few popular makers are:

SIG - expensive, but very high quality (~$750)
HK - expensive, but again very high quality (~$800)
Glock - very reliable, lots of models to choose from (~$500)
XD - a nice alternative to Glock, different feel from a glock (~$450)
Taurus - pretty affordable and some models have great reputations (~$350)

And may I suggest a 9mm? Or at least, pay attention to how much the ammo is going to cost you. .45ACP costs twice what 9mm does ($12/100 Winchester White Box), .40S&W costs 50% more than 9mm and .357sig is even more than .45ACP.

NN

what about Kimber?

GREENFEATHER
09-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of Sig Sauer, I own 5 of them so I do have a Sig fetish. I've owned Glocks, couldn't hit a bull in the ass if I was standing right next to him without it jamming. Series 70 Colts are the only Colts that I would own. I don't feel that the quality of the steel that goes into a Taurus is something that I would spen my money on. I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed with your SIG!!

KIDRR
09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
From what I have

Glock 19 9mm: Nice, light, compact. Good for conceal carry and super reliable. Don't like the trigger that much though

Sig 226 .40:Great gun, nice trigger pull. Heavy and I don't like the "snappyness" of the .40S&W round

HK USP 45: My over all favorite, love the .45acp round, love the big handle for my big hand. Down side is the manual saftey it has.

Beretta 96 .40: Worst gun I have ever had. Inaccurate, horrible manual saftey odd ergo's

Ruger KP95 9mm: Good gun for only ~$350 decent ergo's but can tell it is lower quality

From what I shot

Kimber Raptor .45-Super $$$ but a really nice quality gun. Only holds 7-8 rounds though.

HK P2000 9mm: Nice small little gun, light, not as accurate or comfy as the Glock though

Snoopis
09-30-2006, 10:27 AM
for the guns!!!;)

Love the avatar. ;)

Speaking of handguns... How a Robbery Went Fatally Right (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/LOCAL/609300507/1006/LOCAL)

Snoopis
09-30-2006, 10:30 AM
If you want a very basic but reliable and affordable .45, check out a Rock Island Armory 1911. A friend and I each bought one last weekend at the gun show... they are $320 each. Might sound cheap, but they are well made and more accurate than I am. The stock trigger set-up isn't too bad, but my friend already did a little tweaking on his and he says it's pretty damn nice with a little work.

AccountantGuy
09-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Although I've always been a staunch supporter of gun rights, I have never owned a handgun. I have only owned a shotgun and a few rifles given to me. I've decided to go ahead and pick up my first handgun. I am open to purchasing any brand. I've asked around and so far a few different Sig's and glocks have come up which I've been told are exceptional handguns.

Keep in mind, I am willing to spend alot but I feel I don't know enough about handguns to make an informed decision, so I am hoping some of you gun enthusiasts out there could point me in the right direction and give me advice on a good FIRST handgun.

I bought a glock right off the bat. Never regretted it once. More complex guns = mo problems.

NuggzTheNinja
09-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I would have recommended that you get an XD, as they're like a Glock but with a few extras, but...

Mine totally took a **** on me during disassembly. Due to a design flaw, the guide rod can unseat from its home in the barrel, and causes the gun to turn into a $500 paperweight instantly, lodging it in front of the block...holy ****.

I had to hammer the barrel forward with a wooden dowel just to unjam the thing. The bottom line is...do you want to be doing that when the **** hits the fan? It's not easy buddy.

Cdem
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
for your first hand gun get a .22. I go to the range and shoot off 200 rounds and it cost me next to nothing. I fire off so many bullets my pistol starts shooting wild cause i get the barrel so hot.

My first hand gun was a Smith and Wesson .22. and i still love shooting that thing off to this day. It was cheap, easy to maintain, has never given me problems and the ammo is cheap.

For those wondering, i got it when i was 16...my dad is huge into weapons. Our house is like an armoury.

NuggzTheNinja
09-30-2006, 01:49 PM
If you want a very basic but reliable and affordable .45, check out a Rock Island Armory 1911. A friend and I each bought one last weekend at the gun show... they are $320 each. Might sound cheap, but they are well made and more accurate than I am. The stock trigger set-up isn't too bad, but my friend already did a little tweaking on his and he says it's pretty damn nice with a little work.

RIA is good, but they can be hit or miss. They were when I was researching them anyway in late '05.

I think they make a compact version too that's looking very appealing.

resurrected
10-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I personally have a .45 made by a company in Ohio, it comes with a life time gurantee. The company is calle Highpoint. Love it fells greT AND SHOOTS FANTASTIC AT HALF THE PRICE. I also have a nice little .38 by taurus.

Cobra5.0Jeep
10-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Definitely get a 9mm. My friend has a Ruger and its pretty badass.

markedman
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I own a 9mm and that is like my 2nd baby

OKgymNUT
10-02-2006, 11:14 AM
First of all make sure you take a safety course.

Second, I use to be a cop and from what I have learned from experiance, never carry anything smaller than a .40CAL. You want something that is going to stop or knock back somebody. A lot of people like 9mm, I personally don't due to the small round and fast muzzel velocity (the bullet travels through them and they keep coming.)

I carry a compact .45 and my wife carries a compact.40.

Good luck with your search.

greyhair
10-02-2006, 11:17 AM
IMHO, a revolver is the way to go for home protection and some plinking.
Reload is slower and it has fewer shots, but it is much more reliable than any automatic.
Home defense/plinking does not require 10 shots between reloads.
Most likely sceneraio for home defense is zero to 1 shots being fired.
The purp will run after seeing the weapon or hearing one shot.

Try this
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/288L.jpg
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5718&return=Y

fastdraw
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
This is quite a pistol.http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_500WE-2/Vidcap.jpgBe sure to watch the video.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_500WE-2/Thumbs/MVC-551F.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_500WE-2/Thumbs/MVC-554F.jpg

Here's the link to the page, it's a pretty neat packin' gun that packs quite a punch.http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_500WE-2.htm

fastdraw
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Issue with revolvers is that kids can shoot them much easier then a semi automatic..and by that I mean its more dangerous in the home to have if you have children

An unloaded gun; is a useless gun. I agree with you about the kids. Guns should obviously be put in a place where kids can't get them, if you have kids that is.

greyhair
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Issue with revolvers is that kids can shoot them much easier then a semi automatic..and by that I mean its more dangerous in the home to have if you have children

I believe your impling a loaded magazine separate from the pistol as a safety mechanism.
Its a good point, However, I quick loader for a revolver can be pretty quick.
On the other hand, I'd much rather keep the hand gun one of those electronic key pad safes. Yes it takes longer, but is is a balance between that and accidental shootings.
I favor the safe.

Firepower
10-02-2006, 12:24 PM
a .22 cal is good for plinking and won't be any use when trying to defend yourself. it's fun to shoot and the ammo is dirt cheap. 9mm are good to shoot also. recoil is fairly low. i carry a .45 cal with hydroshock low-recoil bullets.

guest89
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
I think kids should be taught about guns, me and most of my friends have had access to loaded guns since we where born. Never had any accidents/problems.

Instead of hiding guns from your kids why not teach them about guns? I recieved my first BB gun when I turned 2, my first shotgun when I was 6. For as long as I can remember I've fired some sort of weapon almost daily for my entire life. (When I lived in the city I built an indoor target for air-rifles/handguns).

I say teach a kid how to handle a weapon properly, let him/her fire it often, and teach him/her how to respect weapons.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Firepower
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
i agree quest. alot of the accident these days is because kids get curious with the gun and end up getting hurt

kappac
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
A good gun to have is really your prefrence... first of all you should take your handgun safety classes that are held in your state. Then from there I would pick a that doesn't kick too bad but is small enough to fit your likings.

Snoopis
10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't forget the option of wearing a holster at home. That's a pretty safe place to keep it, kids or not.

NuggzTheNinja
10-02-2006, 04:20 PM
First of all make sure you take a safety course.

Second, I use to be a cop and from what I have learned from experiance, never carry anything smaller than a .40CAL. You want something that is going to stop or knock back somebody. A lot of people like 9mm, I personally don't due to the small round and fast muzzel velocity (the bullet travels through them and they keep coming.)

I carry a compact .45 and my wife carries a compact.40.

Good luck with your search.

Shot placement is everything. That minimal tenth-of-a-half of a caliber is going to do nothing for making the necessary internal changes occur on your target to ensure quick death.

It becomes a big deal when you start carrying concealed.

Revolvers are pretty f-cking tough to conceal. They're not heavy, but they're fat, and they have a unique print that's easily visible through clothing.

Glocks, XDs, and other DAO double stack semis are comfortable as their surfaces are nice and flat, but they're thick too. Trust me, I put up with a service size XD every day mate. It's tough to conceal, I have to dress like a gangbanger. All my shirts are XXL.

It's hard to find something that's reliable and easy to conceal.

NuggzTheNinja
10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
yea..but you can't sleep in it;)

Speak for yourself! :D

fastdraw
10-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I think kids should be taught about guns, me and most of my friends have had access to loaded guns since we where born. Never had any accidents/problems.

Instead of hiding guns from your kids why not teach them about guns? I recieved my first BB gun when I turned 2, my first shotgun when I was 6. For as long as I can remember I've fired some sort of weapon almost daily for my entire life. (When I lived in the city I built an indoor target for air-rifles/handguns).

I say teach a kid how to handle a weapon properly, let him/her fire it often, and teach him/her how to respect weapons.

Just my opinion on the matter.

I agree with you on this 100%. I also got my first bbgun at 4 years and a .22 rifle at 7 and by that time I had shot several types of guns.

The only problem is that as much teaching as you give some kids they won't listen. To this day I don't trust my best friends when we are shooting guns, becuase they aren't responcible, and they havn't been since they where young.

Luckily my old man tought me right and I listened to him, and turned out to be a pretty responcible kid.

fastdraw
10-02-2006, 11:00 PM
This is me on a New Years Eve, I was home alone and we had some freaks who would come through our yard, so I was going to be ready.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/fastdraw/scan0018.jpg
Some other pictures of me as a kid.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/fastdraw/scan0002.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/fastdraw/scan.jpg

nWo Texas
10-03-2006, 01:48 AM
cute pics!

Do you have pics of your guns?

PaHulkster
10-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Hahaha why would you shoot people coming through your yard? Don't you have crazy walls and whatnot too?

guest89
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Hahaha why would you shoot people coming through your yard? Don't you have crazy walls and whatnot too?

Because perhaps the people coming through his yard might vandalize his property, or rob him?

Better to be prepared and never need your gun then not be prepared and need it.

PaHulkster
10-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't know what kind of crazy ass laws they have in the Congo, but you can't just shoot people for vandalizing your yard here. People still do it all the time, and go to prison for it though.

Diana Ball
10-03-2006, 07:35 PM

He didnt say that. Why you puttin words in people's mouths? Is everyone in your "party" as stupid as you?

guest89
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't know what kind of crazy ass laws they have in the Congo, but you can't just shoot people for vandalizing your yard here. People still do it all the time, and go to prison for it though.
Some people dont live in the middle of a city ^_^.

I actually think there is at least one state where you can legally shoot someone for vandalizing your property. You can kill someone if they are on your property, even shoot them in the back.

Taken from a news article

When Gary Lee Hill stood on the porch with a loaded rifle, he was afraid the people outside his home would attack him again, the jury in his murder trial was told.

That left them no choice, the jury foreman said in an e-mail defending last week’s harshly criticized verdict, but to find Hill not guilty of murder under Colorado’s Make My Day law.

“The fact that the group was not leaving and continued to engage Mr. Hill,” the foreman wrote in an e-mail to The Gazette, “led us to determine that it was reasonable for Mr. Hill to believe that the group of assailants might use physical force against him.”

Hill, 24,

was found not guilty in a Colorado Springs courtroom Dec. 14 of first-degree murder in the shooting death of John David Knott, 19. Knott was shot in the back while sitting in a car outside Hill’s home.

http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1313093&secid=1

Kickass law, crime(Robberies) are 50% lower because of this law. (Or so I read).

I know for a fact the amount of theft from homes are VERY low in Colorado (the part I lived in anyways).

fastdraw
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM

That was when I was in the States, we don't have guns here in Congo(I have to stick to my knives and machetes here). I would have only shot someone if they came into the house, or where trying to come in, a man walked right into our next door neighbors house in the middle of the night once.

BlueBayou
10-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey Fastdraw, whatcha doing in Congo, if I can ask? Anderson Cooper had something on about Congo today on CNN.

fastdraw
10-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey Fastdraw, whatcha doing in Congo, if I can ask? Anderson Cooper had something on about Congo today on CNN.

My parents are missionaries, we got about one year left until we take a furlough back to the States. At witch time, I will join the Marines.

BlueBayou
10-03-2006, 11:39 PM
My parents are missionaries, we got about one year left until we take a furlough back to the States. At witch time, I will join the Marines.

Man, that sounds interesting! Would love to hear more. Do yall have a website or something like that? Anyway, good luck in the Marines! Looks like you are already a good shot!

resurrected
10-04-2006, 03:16 PM
heres a link to info on that Hi point company for any one interested. you can also click on the underlined sections to see the pistols. I have .45 acp, really nice weapon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms

Travis71902
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM

I just went through all this about 2 months ago. Ended up with a Glock 19 and love it! And yes, I have much tighter groupings at the range now;)
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=868402

guest89
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
heres a link to info on that Hi point company for any one interested. you can also click on the underlined sections to see the pistols. I have .45 acp, really nice weapon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms
lol you joking? Hi Point are used as disposable weapons. :D

NuggzTheNinja
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
lol you joking? Hi Point are used as disposable weapons. :D

I didn't wanna be the one to say it.

Supposedly they're pretty reliable. Some guy on Glocktalk picked one up just to futz with it.

I wouldn't trust my life to it though.

resurrected
10-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Perhaps so, but it is a great alternative for those of us who cannot blow a load on a handgun.
It has a lifetime guarantee no questions asked, reliable use it almost daily for the last 2 years now, ease of operation and cleaning, good pattern on targets, and will do some damage to someone if they break into your home.
Along with the price tag, to me this is a good bargain for self protection if on a budget. I own other weapon as well, but love this one, it fits in my hand so nice and shoots smoothly.So say what you will about it, but it works for may who have little cash.

smokeater
10-06-2006, 04:58 AM

You've named two excellent brand names, top of the line. There is a lot of debate between which of these two are better. I'm a big fan of the glock, it was my first pistol. One of the best things about Glocks are that there is such a large assortment. 9x19mm, .40, .45..... standard, compact.... basically they make a pistol for everybody. I really don't think you can go wrong with a Glock. Try them out because some models have thicker grips which can make a difference depending on your hand size. To say nothing about how reliable this pistol fires the FTF/FTE is really low with the Glock. Geez, maybe I should get a job as a salesman.

Others models that I think very highly of:
- Colt 1911
- Beretta 96D (a lot of police departments have switched from these to Glocks and you can get used models at great prices)
- Sig P226
- S&W Third Generation Pistols

A few other things to consider when purchasing a pistol are the cost of ammunition and availability of replacement parts. Obviously you can shoot more rounds with less expensive ammunition and older or discontinued pistols may be hard for a gunsmith (or you) to modify or make repairs to down the road.

Hope this helps. Good luck.