PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been/heard of bowfishing?

XPmpnII
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I had never heard of it until here recently... I went last weekend and I must say... it's awesome!

Much, much more fun than just plain old fishing. I caught a 3-5 lb. catfish and a 15 lb. carp. Seriously, guys... it was a ton of fun. I'm going to try and go as much as I can now... can't go every weekend, but maybe every other weekend or so.

The guy that I was with caught a 4-5 ft. gar and we brought it up to the boat. Unfortunately, it got loose before we could actually bring it on the boat, but still... it was badass getting to see it.

guest89
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Heard of it, had a friend who was into it. But for some reason I never did do it... Wished I woulda though.

a catfish bowfishing? I always thought gar and carp were target species

fitnessman
08-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Unless you harvest the fish, I am against Bow Fishing.

Many Bow Fishermen simply leave the kills on the banks. While legal in most states, I see no sense in killing anything unless it is put to use.

Chipman
08-23-2006, 05:14 AM
I am totally against BH for catfish and this article states my reasons better than I could. (catch and release). Like fitnessman if I ain't takin it home I leave it alone. ONe more small point..ONce we let catfish be taken then someone will say let's go for this one, and this one, and this one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The state will hear debate on bow fishing for catfish
Thursday, January 26, 2006

In the Texas angling world, there are two kinds of fishermen: catfish guys and everybody else.

The catfish guys hunt a different breed, and they are passionate about it. Now they're going to get a chance to let the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission understand just how passionately they care about their favorite fish.

Commissioners voted Wednesday to seek public comment on a proposal that would allow bow fishermen to shoot catfish with bow and arrow.

The proposal is the result of a petition for rulemaking from the Texas Bowfishing Association, which the commission could have rejected outright. However, commissioners chose to pursue a proposal that would allow bow fishermen to take catfish channels, flatheads and blues under the same statewide limits as other anglers. Bow fishermen currently are limited to so called trash fish, such as carp and gar.

In voting to take the proposal to public hearings during February and March, commissioners ignored the obvious discomfort of the Inland Fisheries staff, who at the very least wanted to leave flatheads out of the proposal.

"If it was our choice, we would prefer not to have flatheads included in this," said Phil Durocher, chief of Inland Fisheries. Flathead catfish are highly prized fish, Durocher said, that are not as prolific or numerous as channels and blues. "They may be more susceptible to bowfishing in the evening at certain times of the year."

Durocher also said, in response to a question from Lufkin commissioner John Parker, that bow fishing would run counter to the catch-and-release mentality that has recently begun to work its way into catfish angling, especially for the older, larger fish. "It kind of goes against our philosophy," Durocher said. "I think we may be opening up a can of worms."

Commissioners weren't swayed. "I'm having trouble making the distinction between taking five (flatheads) one way or taking five another way," said Houston commissioner Ned Holmes. The limit for flatheads is five fish per day with an 18-inch minimum size. Blues and channels have a 10-inch minimum size and a 25 fish per day bag limit.

The difference between bowfishing and other types of angling is that once a catfish is shot with an arrow, he can't be released. He's dead. If he's the wrong size, then what?

And some bow fishermen have said they don't see that many catfish, but believe they ought to be able to take a few home to eat. "They must be seeing them or they wouldn't be asking for (the new rules)," said Durocher.

It all depends on where one is fishing. On a shallow, clear-water Hill Country stream? Catfish have no place to hide. Around a lighted dock on Lake Buchanan that's been baited with sour grain for a few days? There will be catfish there that can be shot with a bow.

Maybe nothing happens to catfish if this rule eventually passes when it comes back for a vote in April. But there will be a wall that comes down, one that it just doesn't make sense to breach.

mleggett@statesman.com

One More Time
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Many Bow Fishermen simply leave the kills on the banks. While legal in most states, I see no sense in killing anything unless it is put to use.

^^^^^^^. Most of the guys that I know who bow fish, fish for gar, carp, drum, snakes, etc. If I kill it, I am going to eat it (with exception to snakes, lol) or give it to someone that will eat it.

XPmpnII
08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Gar and carp aren't very good to eat, though, are they?

One More Time
08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Gar and carp aren't very good to eat, though, are they?

No, they are not. I'm just saying that I don't like to kill things unless I am going to eat them (poisonous snakes are an exception though). I wouldn't mind bow fishing for catfish because I would eat them.

Thordic
08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
pretty ****ty bowfishing for catfish. The reason people kill carp and gar with them because there in no need for them. And because they like to kill fish I guess

CmC520
08-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I went bowfishing with me and 3 other people and we limited out on redfish (20) and we ate every single one....and yes, it is a blast.. but there is nothing like catching a big fish on a fishing pole as opposed to shooting it.

MaSTeR4846
08-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Not me but a buddy pretty good fish though.

Donkey Hunter
08-24-2006, 08:59 PM
How many times have you killed a mouse or bug without eating it? Not saying I agree with leaving them to rot, just playin the DA.

XPmpnII
08-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Not me but a buddy pretty good fish though.

DAMN. I'd freak if I ended up hitting one that big.

Geno
08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I did a lot as a kid. Not so much now, maybe once a year or so with a friend who has a boat rigged for it. He feeds three families that are very poor with the trash fish he takes and eats the better fish (sheephead, reds, cats, rays, shark and grass carp) himself.

One More Time
08-28-2006, 04:53 AM
How many times have you killed a mouse or bug without eating it? Not saying I agree with leaving them to rot, just playin the DA.

You make a good point..... Most of the time the bug or mouse was "bothering" me though. But, to each his own and if bowfishing is what makes a person happy, then go for it. I just prefer not to.

BeastWithin
08-28-2006, 07:31 PM
i say if an animal enters ur home its fairgame to kill it without feeling bad.

goldent
09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Heard of it but never really done it might need to try since you said it was fun

Nainoa
09-29-2006, 02:54 PM

We have a lake about 10 miles out of my home town, that's infested with Carp... So my boss goes there when the carp are running, and bow fishes them... Then smokes the good ones and uses the muddy big ones for fertilzer...

It's amazing what some fish will do for fertilizer...

I put the remains of all the fish I clean into the garden... Then in the spring before the game fish open I fish for Cats... I burry either 2 small or one 20" or so cat fish under each tomato plant...

I have one Tomato plant right now that it's tallest "Branch" when pulled up is as tall as I am!

_STL_15_
10-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I use to go alot out by a creek. There was an older gentlemen up a ways and he would take w/e you cought and either cook it or he also made bait out of it. So it wasent a waste. If there an abondence of carp, gar, or any other fish that is un wanted by people eat, I dont see anything worng with it. I still try to make use of w/e i cetch or shoot.

Kovalchuk
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
LOL...

so bowfishing equals finding the slowest swimming, laziest, bottom-feeding fish and shooting them with an arrow?!

Then leaving them on the bank to be eaten by flies?? Hmmm... really takes the sport out of fishing.

If you eat them fine, but otherwise seems kind of pointless.

Geno
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
It's good archery practice. Carp are not the easiest thing to shoot - bass are - bass are illegal to shoot. Carp are a lot easier to spook than most gamefish.

I'm not advocating wasting any living creature - you shouldn't. I'm defending bowfishing as a sport.

snowborder
10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I have never been but I agree if you are not going to eat it then you shouldn't kill it.