PDA

View Full Version : Brock lesner !! about time

Aameiel
08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
sorry if this is a repost but i cant wait to see this !!

MMA company K-1 released the following press release this morning confirming that Brock Lesnar will enter the MMA Ring:

Former World Wrestling Entertainment Champion Brock Lesnar Announces Entry Into The MMA Ring In K-1’s HERO’s Series
Former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) World Champion Brock Lesnar announced his entrance into the MMA ring Saturday night at a press conference at Bellagio following the K-1 “Battle at Bellagio” event. Lesnar confirmed that he had signed a contract to fight for HERO’s, K-1’s new Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) series of events which includes headliners Genki Sudo, Bob Sapp, Kazushi Sakuraba and Don Frye. Lesnar also announced that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu innovator and the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) first-ever champion, Royce Gracie, will be his trainer.
(PRWEB) August 17, 2006 -- Former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) World Champion Brock Lesnar announced his entrance into the MMA ring Saturday night at a press conference at Bellagio following the K-1 “Battle at Bellagio” event. Lesnar confirmed that he had signed a contract to fight for HERO’s, K-1’s new Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) series of events which includes headliners Genki Sudo, Bob Sapp, Kazushi Sakuraba and Don Frye. Lesnar also announced that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu innovator and the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) first-ever champion, Royce Gracie, will be his trainer.

“You are a great champion wrestler and I am a great Jiu Jitsu fighter; we are going to be good together,” said Gracie as he eagerly shook Lensar’s hand in the K-1 ring at the sold out “Battle at Bellagio” event on Saturday.

Lesnar’s career includes a number of years with WWE, a player with the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL as well as Amateur Wrestling in high school and college. He won the 2000 NCAA Heavyweight Wrestling Championship and was a two-time All-American amateur wrestler. Lesnar’s professional titles include WWE Heavyweight Champion, WWE King of the Ring Champion, WWE Royal Rumble Champion and the IWGP World Heavy weight Champion.

HERO’s is the new and exciting MMA series brought to the United States by FEG, also the organizers of K-1. Established two years ago in Japan, HERO’S combines all forms of martial arts disciplines including Karate, Kickboxing and Kung Fu, as well as the grappling techniques of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo and Wrestling. This style of fighting has been developed with the hope of eliminating unnecessary techniques and creating more exciting fights that last longer. The fights take place in a boxing style ring making it easy for the viewers to follow the action.

Over the past decade, MMA events have increased significantly in popularity. Creating a true international flavor by inviting top participants from all over the world, the reputation of HERO’s shows has spanned far beyond Japan. With special lighting and pyrotechnic effects, the HERO’s events are packed with high-energy action and excitement. HERO’s events are currently broadcast in prime time on Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS).

HERO’S will be held four times each year and is scheduled to begin in February 2007. The location has yet to be determined but more than likely will occur at a major venue on the West Coast. HERO’S will televise their events in more than 110 countries worldwide.

K-1 is a martial arts fighting sport that derives its name from its inclusion of a wide array of combat disciplines including Karate, Kung-Fu and Kickboxing (“K”), with an intent to determine one champion in one ring (“1”). After being staged for the first time in Japan in 1993 under the direction of founder Master Kazuyoshi Ishii, K-1 has evolved into the country’s most popular sport and has achieved popular culture status as its athletes are larger-than-life celebrities.

For more information on HERO’S, go to www.k-1usa.net

ArnoldMovieFan
08-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Cant wait to see him get his ass beat.

mfdff10
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
he is gonna get beat bad

tl_D
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
hes gonna either beat or get beat

bjjwraslter7
08-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I think he will demolish his first opponent because they will probably put him against a nobody, it being his first fight and all. With his wrestling background (amateur obviously), and being trained by royce, and his strength and agility he sure as hell won't be a pushover.

bjjwraslter7
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
hes gonna either beat or get beat

Yeah I think he will either win...or he will lose.

Where's the captain obvious pic when you need it...

Deathstroke
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Lesnar’s career includes a number of years with WWE, a player with the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL as well as Amateur Wrestling in high school and college. He won the 2000 NCAA Heavyweight Wrestling Championship and was a two-time All-American amateur wrestler. Lesnar’s professional titles include WWE Heavyweight Champion, WWE King of the Ring Champion, WWE Royal Rumble Champion and the IWGP World Heavy weight Champion.
The article is wrong on that one. He tried out for the Minnesota Vikings but didn't even make the practice squad. That said, he has potential in MMA. I expect him to hold his own in takedowns and wrestling given his amateur background...but let's see if he can develope an all-around game and learn some striking and submission. Also let's see his chin tested.

He's trained with MFS and has Royce working with him, that sounds like a solid start.

Deathstroke
08-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I think he will demolish his first opponent because they will probably put him against a nobody, it being his first fight and all. With his wrestling background (amateur obviously), and being trained by royce, and his strength and agility he sure as hell won't be a pushover.
Yeah, agreed.

LatsMakeTheMan
08-17-2006, 10:40 AM
We'll find out whether he can take a shot to the chin as well.

ArnoldMovieFan
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
lets see if he can take a punch or a round house from Le banner

bjjwraslter7
08-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I honestly don't think his opponents, the lesser ones at least, will have much chance to hit him. With a wrestling background that strong he will be able to take down just about everybody with ease. Think about other ncca all american/champion wrestlers in mma, they might not all be top fighters but they can get takedowns at will. I think his biggest weakness will be getting subed from gaurd, and not being able to finish on top. Then again with his power he may be able to get some ko's without even passing gaurd.

tl_D
08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I honestly don't think his opponents, the lesser ones at least, will have much chance to hit him. With a wrestling background that strong he will be able to take down just about everybody with ease. Think about other ncca all american/champion wrestlers in mma, they might not all be top fighters but they can get takedowns at will. I think his biggest weakness will be getting subed from gaurd, and not being able to finish on top. Then again with his power he may be able to get some ko's without even passing gaurd.

he will fight to be number 1 (so he will fight guys like arlovski, sergei, overeem, fedor, cro cop maybe?)
even pat miletich thinks he will be number 1 in a years to come but i dunno
he would be like randleman but with more technique

Tiger Driver
08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
The article is wrong on that one. He tried out for the Minnesota Vikings but didn't even make the practice squad. That said, he has potential in MMA. I expect him to hold his own in takedowns and wrestling given his amateur background...but let's see if he can develope an all-around game and learn some striking and submission. Also let's see his chin tested.

He's trained with MFS and has Royce working with him, that sounds like a solid start.

He did play in a game...I believe it was pre-season though, and he didn't stay in long.

bjjwraslter7
08-17-2006, 11:01 AM
he will fight to be number 1 (so he will fight guys like arlovski, sergei, overeem, fedor, cro cop maybe?)

I think who he fights will depend on the organization he sticks with, it's not like he can fight in k1, pride, and ufc so he won't be fighting all those guys. Regardless I don't think he will climb the ladder that quickly, he deffinitly has the tools he needs but it will take time for him to get that far.

It would be cool if his first fight they put him against sylvia, just because it would be humiliating for tim if he lost and I would laugh my ass off...but that's impossible.

Deathstroke
08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
He did play in a game...I believe it was pre-season though, and he didn't stay in long.
Oh my bad. Didn't know that.

LAWofNJ
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Plus he hadnt played football since high school... a long layoff, shows his athletic ability.

tl_D
08-17-2006, 11:14 AM
good thing lesnar's a tough guy, he did a shooting star press one time
and he landed on back of his head and cracked his neck
but thats nowhere near how many people he injured back in the wwe

TheBlueDevil
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
He'll do fine, they'll stick him in there with a can and he'll probably get an easy win in his first 2-3 matches. He's a smart enough business man to know who to get in the cage with at his skill level.

tl_D
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
yea i mean wwe was all business for him it was hardly a sport

HardGainer82
08-17-2006, 01:02 PM
First off...he's not gonna fight world champs right off the bat.
Second...how the HELL does Overeem get on that list?

cgc
08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Isn't this about a week or so old news?

Honestly, I think with his wrestling history (not WWE :rolleyes) he has a pretty good foudation....then with him working with MFS and Gracie....yeah, he's headed in the right direction.

My main concern is his weight. What is HERO's weight class for heavy weight. Last time I checked Brock was floating around 285-290 lbs...I believe UFCs HW cut off is 260 lbs....that's a nice little bit of weight to cut considering he does NOT seem to be overweight.

I honestly would like to see him move away from MFS eventually so he can pound on Tim Sylvia.

HardGainer82
08-17-2006, 02:30 PM
For UFC it's 265, don't know about HERO's though. But while Brock isn't fat by any means, he has a little excess he could drop, particularly if he's busting his ass training. Also, he's a wrestler, so cutting water is nothing new to him.

bjjwraslter7
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
285 to 265 should be no problem. I mean look at the size of the dude he probably can cut 20lb by taking a dump. Seriously though if 150lb wrestlers can cut 15-20lb of water weight it should be no problem for him.