PDA

View Full Version : WTF is Cytosport MuscleMilk Collegiate?

JRRBadBoy4Life
08-06-2006, 08:18 AM
At some other site they are selling 5.9 tubs for $28:eek:! Unfortunately they are all out of stock right now.

Mr. Aries
08-06-2006, 08:21 AM
a bigger version of the original?

MoonMan12
08-06-2006, 08:47 AM
i noticed that too, i was thinking collegiate was provided by colleges or somehting, it makes no sense. great deal tho

SavageOne
08-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Wow! A while ago I said that they should consider selling 5 lb'ers. Where are they available?

JRRBadBoy4Life
08-06-2006, 11:55 AM
a bigger version of the original?
They have the 4.96 lb tubs selling for like $41.99, which really isn't saving you money considering 2.48 lb tubs sell for about $20. Doesn't really make sense.

Then they have the ones I mentioned, the Collegiate Muscle Milk 5.9 lbs for $28. Unless maybe they are only being sold to college students. Man that would piss me off. I've got 2 cars, a house, a wife and kid...I could use a nice discount too:mad:

red_plague
08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
They have the 4.96 lb tubs selling for like $41.99, which really isn't saving you money considering 2.48 lb tubs sell for about $20. Doesn't really make sense.

Then they have the ones I mentioned, the Collegiate Muscle Milk 5.9 lbs for $28. Unless maybe they are only being sold to college students. Man that would piss me off. I've got 2 cars, a house, a wife and kid...I could use a nice discount too:mad:

Sell the kids for some extra cash. ;)
lol, I bet my parents wish they could do that sometimes.

SavageOne
08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
It's formulated to be in accordance with The Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports standards and contain no banned substances.

Anyways, seems like the nutrition facts are a bit different.

Muscle Milk 2.48 lb'er:

# Serving Size 2 Scoops
# Total Fat 18 g
# Saturated Fat 8 g
# Calories 348
# Cholesterol 3 mg
# Sodium 200 mg
# Potassium 595 mg
# Total Carbohydrate 12 g
# Dietary Fiber <2 g
# Sugars 6 g
# Protein 32 g

Muscle Milk 5.29 lb'er:

# Serving Size 4 Scoops
# Calories 580
# Total Fat 7g
# Carbs 89g
# Sugar 5g
# Protein 40g

CrazyTall
08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
You would think that you would get a bit a a discount if you bought the 5 lbr.
I dont get it. Its actually more if you buy the big one.

ThrillHouse43
08-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Is the 5.29 tub of Collegiate a better value than 2 tubs of regular MM?

BTW, I found the Collegiate for 35.95 w/ Shipping at 7.95, while 2 regualrs was 36.90, w/ shipping at 8.95

deserusan
08-13-2006, 09:02 AM
It looks like a decent MRP that uses low GI carbs. I think it might be a home run for Cytosport because it is already used at a number of universities with reputable sports programs. Also, it doesn't contain glycocyamine either which is another plus in my book. The original MM does and is why I try to stay clear of it.

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=12

SpeedDemon9
08-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Almost similiar to Cytogainer......

ThrillHouse43
08-13-2006, 09:51 AM
What is it exactly that makes glycocyamine so bad for you?

SavageOne
08-13-2006, 10:43 AM
So they just came out with MM Collegiate and a 5.29 lb'er of the original from what I've seen.

rampagefc77
08-13-2006, 10:51 AM
ordering off the internet... i almost feel bad for you guys. theres a place by where i live that price matches... so i print the cheapest price i find off and they match it. couldnt ask for a better deal. if you live in southern wisconsin check out natural high in west allis.

Danoe
08-13-2006, 11:35 AM
It looks like a decent MRP that uses low GI carbs. I think it might be a home run for Cytosport because it is already used at a number of universities with reputable sports programs. Also, it doesn't contain glycocyamine either which is another plus in my book. The original MM does and is why I try to stay clear of it.

what is wrong with glycocyamine? just curious.
also, ON whey seems to be so popular, what
makes you guys like MM over ON? ON's cheaper, not?

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
What is it exactly that makes glycocyamine so bad for you?

Glycocyamine will increase your homocysteine levels which will lead to cardiovascular disease. I'll post a link to a thread that has more info.

Edit- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=866875&highlight=homocysteine

ThrillHouse43
08-13-2006, 12:39 PM
How dangerous is it? I've never heard anyone complain about MM or Glycocyamine problems before.

fuzzyfozzie
08-13-2006, 12:45 PM
ordering off the internet... i almost feel bad for you guys. theres a place by where i live that price matches... so i print the cheapest price i find off and they match it. couldnt ask for a better deal. if you live in southern wisconsin check out natural high in west allis.
i order my supplements on the internet all the time..why is this bad? funny thing is I order from a website that matches and lowers price by 5% and they are located in wisconsin under the name "natural high". hmmmm...could it be the same place? LOL, I guess you didn't know they had a website bud.

warriors
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Glycocyamine will increase your homocysteine levels which will lead to cardiovascular disease. I'll post a link to a thread that has more info.

Edit- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=866875&highlight=homocysteine

yea yea yea sat. fat and trans fat can lead to cardiovascular disease :D

deserusan
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Yes....but they don't lead to Alzheimer's disease as well. Please read this:

Brosnan JT, Jacobs RL, Stead LM, Brosnan ME. Methylation demand: a key determinant of homocysteine metabolism. Acta Biochim Pol. 2004;51(2):405-13

red rocket 33
08-13-2006, 01:51 PM

I used to live in very northern IL right by the Wis border, nat high was about an hour away. You are right, great place to shop with the price match + 5% off the price match. Great selection, too. It takes a little bit of work to do an exhaustive price comparison search (if you are way to into it, like me where I just HAVE to search everywhere else), but it is worth it. I think their shipping was pretty fair too, as I did shop both on their site and at the store. Of course this site is great too (trying not to ruffle any feathers...wink-wink).

into eternity
08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
2 scoops of MM strawberry banana and 1 scoop of Arctic Berry Cell Mass taste delicious mixed together in a shake, expensive yes, but it tastes amazing.

MoonMan12
08-13-2006, 03:32 PM
use pricegrabber, you can usually find the cheapest price.

Sixpack
08-13-2006, 03:43 PM
A little sat fat is all good eat them eggs

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 03:59 PM

*negs Warriors* :mad:

OneBetter
08-13-2006, 04:04 PM

could you post the ingredients please? i'm not seeing them.

deserusan
08-13-2006, 04:20 PM
could you post the ingredients please? i'm not seeing them.

http://www.cytosport.com/media/ProductSupplementalFactsImage/supp_mm_collegiate_van.jpg

I assumed they are using a low GI carb source based on the following sentence:

"100% Complex Carbohydrate Source: CytoCarb II helps keep muscle glycogen at peak levels to extend performance and endurance. Maintaining muscle glycogen helps produce muscle ATP to fuel longer, harder workouts. It helps stop muscle breakdown after workouts, and encourages favorable nitrogen retention. "

Malto and dex aren't complex carb sources so I am going to assume they will probably be using brown rice powder, oat bran, and most likely rice oligodextrins. This is just an assumption based on the complex carb claim.

If they use complex carbs I will definately being buying some of this. Cytosport has a damn good flavoring system.

TinyMan
08-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Malto and dextrose alone aren't complex carbohydrates (sugars), however maltodextrin is technically a complex carbohydrate I believe. Acts pretty damn close to a sugar though.

OneBetter
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
["100% Complex Carbohydrate Source: CytoCarb II helps keep muscle glycogen at peak levels to extend performance and endurance. Maintaining muscle glycogen helps produce muscle ATP to fuel longer, harder workouts. It helps stop muscle breakdown after workouts, and encourages favorable nitrogen retention. "

Malto and dex aren't complex carb sources so I am going to assume they will probably be using brown rice powder, oat bran, and most likely rice oligodextrins. This is just an assumption based on the complex carb claim.

ok, just wondering. i've seen weight gainers advertise "complex carbs" and still have malto so i'm a bit skeptical. if it doesn't have malto (which would be suprising) i would probably buy it.

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Malto and dextrose alone aren't complex carbohydrates (sugars), however maltodextrin is technically a complex carbohydrate I believe. Acts pretty damn close to a sugar though.

That is very true Tinyman. I wouldn't be surprised if they did use dex/malto that Cytosport put a high fat content in there to blunt the insulin spike all those sugars would cause.

OneBetter
08-13-2006, 05:41 PM
actually there's only 7g of fat in there..

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
actually there's only 7g of fat in there..

7g of fat plus milk fat (if one does mix MM with milk fat) would be sufficient enough to blunt that insulin spike somewhat. :D

MoonMan12
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
still too expensive for me. i'm going with cytogainer, a lot cheaper. hopefully it tastes good...

OneBetter
08-13-2006, 05:57 PM
7g of fat plus milk fat (if one does mix MM with milk fat) would be sufficient enough to blunt that insulin spike somewhat. :D

true, it would blunt it somewhat. :)

but i'm not a fan of 2% or even whole milk anymore. ever since i started drinking skim, the consistency of whole/2% makes me uneasy.

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 06:08 PM
true, it would blunt it somewhat. :)

but i'm not a fan of 2% or even whole milk anymore. ever since i started drinking skim, the consistency of whole/2% makes me uneasy.

I stick with whole milk so it has plenty fat in there. I would say anyone that drinks skim milk would have to deal with a nice insulin spike if the carb source is malto/dex.

huamei
08-13-2006, 06:11 PM
I have recently read an article on here about MRPs. It compared MM to others and that made me not bother with MM. It also discussed the use of glycocyamine...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mroussell12.htm

Hope that helps!

deserusan
08-13-2006, 06:14 PM

It would still have a huge Glycemic Load which is a lot worse than huge insulin spike due to a GI carb. I really hope they come out with a decent product because their prodcuts taste great and their are few MRP's that taste good without being unhealthy.

Sixpack
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I agree not a fan of the malto they put in their products either , would be nice to have a low GI carb added

It would still have a huge Glycemic Load which is a lot worse than huge insulin spike due to a GI carb. I really hope they come out with a decent product because their prodcuts taste great and their are few MRP's that taste good without being unhealthy.

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 06:45 PM

I'm not 100% familiar with glycemic loads so that means I have some more reading to do.

Schizo
08-13-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.cytosport.com/media/ProductSupplementalFactsImage/supp_mm_collegiate_van.jpg

Those are nutritional facts, not ingredients. Would be nice if someone had a tub and could scan the paper for ACTUAL ingredients. I'm betting that GAA is still present.

deserusan
08-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Those are nutritional facts, not ingredients. Would be nice if someone had a tub and could scan the paper for ACTUAL ingredients. I'm betting that GAA is still present.

I'm right on top of that Rose!

TinyMan
08-13-2006, 10:17 PM
That is very true Tinyman. I wouldn't be surprised if they did use dex/malto that Cytosport put a high fat content in there to blunt the insulin spike all those sugars would cause.

Maltodextrin isn't a sugar, technically speaking. My guess would be that it is similar to Cytogainer - the usage of maltodextrin as the carbohydrate source, while avoiding the simple carbohydrates (fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, etc). It would be nice to see that they went with a low-GI carbohydrate, although I wouldn't be putting any bets on it.

Elliptical Envy
08-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Maltodextrin isn't a sugar, technically speaking. My guess would be that it is similar to Cytogainer - the usage of maltodextrin as the carbohydrate source, while avoiding the simple carbohydrates (fructose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, etc). It would be nice to see that they went with a low-GI carbohydrate, although I wouldn't be putting any bets on it.

I believe it will be exactly just like the regular Muscle Milk just minus the glycocyamine.

Schizo
08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm right on top of that Rose!

Terrific...

I'm curious about the ratio of Betaine to GAA so, I will try and give a call to obtain some numbers. "Not expecting much"

If there is at least a 4:1 Betaine to GAA then there shouldn't be any worry. B6, B12 and folic acid help break down homocystiene, as well. Hope this alleviates some of the GAA scare.

deserusan
08-14-2006, 08:25 PM
If there is at least a 4:1 Betaine to GAA then there shouldn't be any worry. B6, B12 and folic acid help break down homocystiene, as well. Hope this alleviates some of the GAA scare.

you might want to find out where that majik ratio comes from as well..............

Schizo
08-14-2006, 08:33 PM
you might want to find out where that majik ratio comes from as well..............

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/glyco.html

There ya go.

What's with the attitude? You on the rag?

deserusan
08-14-2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/glyco.html

There ya go.

What's with the attitude? You on the rag?

As I said before....where does this 4:1 ratio come from. I prefer my sources of information from research institutions and not commercial entities like bb.com. What's with your attitude....you want to be in the red?

rampagefc77
08-16-2006, 08:38 PM
i order my supplements on the internet all the time..why is this bad? funny thing is I order from a website that matches and lowers price by 5% and they are located in wisconsin under the name "natural high". hmmmm...could it be the same place? LOL, I guess you didn't know they had a website bud.

definitely knew they had a website. and just like every other site u have to pay shipping and handling. meaning u pay more than i do.

OneBetter
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
definitely knew they had a website. and just like every other site u have to pay shipping and handling. meaning u pay more than i do.

yea, a whole $5 for S&H. you'd spend that in gas driving to get the supps.

row machine
08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Yes....but they don't lead to Alzheimer's disease as well. Please read this:

Brosnan JT, Jacobs RL, Stead LM, Brosnan ME. Methylation demand: a key determinant of homocysteine metabolism. Acta Biochim Pol. 2004;51(2):405-13

Are you 100% sure homocysteine is a CAUSE of Alzheiemer's disease and cardiovascular disease, or is it just a marker of the two?

I believe the once popular Niaspam (mega dose vitamin B3) for heart disease lowered homocysteine, but didn't lower the risk of heart disease.

JRRBadBoy4Life
08-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Muscle Milk Collegiate vs regular Muscle Milk. Since Collegiate is much cheaper I may be buying that instead of regular MM my next order.

E-Go
08-20-2006, 07:48 AM
I went to a conference for work and they introduced it there. They said its a cross between Cytogainer and MM, and that it is being formulated towards the college athlete. I think that they took out the glycocyamine and the lean fats. It is a product that they say has been tested to make sure it has no banned substances

SpeedDemon9
08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Looks like the regular MM might be on the way out. I mean take a look at the price of the new collegiate vs. MM. I already have two tubs of it coming my way.

JRRBadBoy4Life
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM
bump

E-Go
08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Looks like the regular MM might be on the way out. I mean take a look at the price of the new collegiate vs. MM. I already have two tubs of it coming my way.
No way, they said they have another 5 flavors coming within the year

SpeedDemon9
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
No way, they said they have another 5 flavors coming within the year

We shall see, but to me it is cheaper to buy the Collegiate rather than pay $25 for the 2.48 lb. tub.

SavageOne
08-20-2006, 05:42 PM
We shall see, but to me it is cheaper to buy the Collegiate rather than pay $25 for the 2.48 lb. tub.
Yeah, I agree. The 2.48 lb'er gets used up so quickly. The 5 lb'er idea is great and should be a real money-saver.

OneBetter
08-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I agree. The 2.48 lb'er gets used up so quickly. The 5 lb'er idea is great and should be a real money-saver.

there's no way 5lbs of MM would sell for $28. this is going to be closer to the cytogainer then MM

Hogg
08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
So as far as Cytosport MuscleMilk Collegiate vs ON whey which one seems to be better?

And out of those 2 how does it compare to EAS Max Milk?

Calories 340
Calories from Fat 160
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
TransFat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 32 g
Vitamin A 645 IU
Vitamin C 18 mg
Vitamin E 18 IU
Thiamin 1 mg
Riboflavin 1 mg
Niacin 6 mg
Folate 120 mcg
Biotin 90 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 3 mg
Calcium 100 mg
Iron 3 mg
Phosphorus 120 mg
Iodine 45 mcg
Magnessium 100 mg
Zinc 5 mg
Selenium 15 mcg
Copper 1 mg
Manganese 1 mg
Chromium 50 mcg
Molybdenum 30 mcg
Sodium 200 mg
Potassium 410 mg
Boron 1 mg
Mulit-Stage Protein Blend 32 g
Liquid Blend 13 g
Creatine Potentiator Blend 3 g

E-Go
08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
So as far as Cytosport MuscleMilk Collegiate vs ON whey which one seems to be better?

And out of those 2 how does it compare to EAS Max Milk?

Calories 340
Calories from Fat 160
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
TransFat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 32 g
Vitamin A 645 IU
Vitamin C 18 mg
Vitamin E 18 IU
Thiamin 1 mg
Riboflavin 1 mg
Niacin 6 mg
Folate 120 mcg
Biotin 90 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 3 mg
Calcium 100 mg
Iron 3 mg
Phosphorus 120 mg
Iodine 45 mcg
Magnessium 100 mg
Zinc 5 mg
Selenium 15 mcg
Copper 1 mg
Manganese 1 mg
Chromium 50 mcg
Molybdenum 30 mcg
Sodium 200 mg
Potassium 410 mg
Boron 1 mg
Mulit-Stage Protein Blend 32 g
Liquid Blend 13 g
Creatine Potentiator Blend 3 g

Max Milk tastes like ass

OneBetter
08-20-2006, 06:30 PM

that's not a good question, ON whey is just protein. Muscle milk has good fats and vitamins, and the collegiate one supposedly has good carbs too. depends on what you're looking for.

SavageOne
08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
there's no way 5lbs of MM would sell for $28. this is going to be closer to the cytogainer then MM

I noticed that when I was checking it out that it didn't seem have the same nutritional facts as the regular MM. I thought about taking maybe 3 scoops as opposed to the recommended 4. That might be a dumb idea, I didnt compare 3 scoops of the Collegiate to 2 of the original. I just like to save money as much as possible and still get a high quality product.

wantstobeinshap
03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
so does anyone here know if the carb source in this is low gi or not?

JCAZ2010
03-13-2007, 03:26 PM
so does anyone here know if the carb source in this is low gi or not?

it's basically malto and dextrose.

wantstobeinshap
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
it's basically malto and dextrose.

so it's high gi and insulin will spike when consumed? can anyone confirm this?

thanks

JCAZ2010
03-13-2007, 03:46 PM
so it's high gi and insulin will spike when consumed? can anyone confirm this?

thanks

I don't have credibility or something????

"CytoCarb II? (Cytosport's unique combination of branching as well as long linear chain maltodextrins with very low ?DE? (Dextrose Equivalence) Providing a Complex Carbohydrate Source Approximately 96.5% Sugar-Free)"

dizi24
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
So what is the verdict on Muscle Milk? Is the glycocyamine too much of a risk for me to take?

If so, are there any alternatives? The collegiate doesn't look bad, but it only has 16 servings in the 5 pound tub. A month supply of this stuff is going to cost almost 60 bucks, which I am not willing to spend. Maybe something about half of that, closer to the 30 dollars a month range.

JCAZ2010
03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
So what is the verdict on Muscle Milk? Is the glycocyamine too much of a risk for me to take?

If so, are there any alternatives? The collegiate doesn't look bad, but it only has 16 servings in the 5 pound tub. A month supply of this stuff is going to cost almost 60 bucks, which I am not willing to spend. Maybe something about half of that, closer to the 30 dollars a month range.

doubt it, i try to avoid products with muscle milk but millions of people take it and have taken it for long amounts of time with no adverse side effects.

dizi24
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
doubt it, i try to avoid products with muscle milk but millions of people take it and have taken it for long amounts of time with no adverse side effects.

Yea, after looking around for a bit, I found a form of muscle milk that has the same nutrition (18 g fat, 12 g carbs, 32 protein) withou the glycocyamine. And to make it better, it's cheaper. Can't complain.

EricTheRed
03-13-2007, 07:16 PM

i hear thats a pretty decent place

DaveGabe24
03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
The Collegiate seems like a pretty solid MRP. Would you guys suggest it over Universal Real Gains?

Here's the description of the carb source:

INGREDIENTS: CytoCarb II (Cytosport's unique combination of branching as well as long linear chain maltodextrins with very low ?DE? (Dextrose Equivalence) Providing a Complex Carbohydrate Source Approximately 96.5% Sugar-Free),

It's $26.95 for 5.29lbs which is relatively the same as Real Gains which goes for 23.95 for 6.58lbs, although the carb source may be less effective? What's your stand on this comparison? I like to have these shakes for breakfast and my home-made shakes for 2-3 other meals throughout the day.

dumac
03-13-2007, 08:24 PM

its tax time that kid's gonna come in handy.

wantstobeinshap
03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
i called cytosport and asked them about the carb source in musclemilk collegiate. They say it is moderate and should keep insulin levels the same. I don't know what to believe...