PDA

View Full Version : Alistair "Demolition Man" Overeem

kingarty
08-03-2006, 11:17 AM
This dude is bad ass, he holds two victories over Belfort which is pretty hard to acheive and if he came to the UFC challenge Liddell I would totally vote for this dude, even though he lost to Liddell in 03 (That was a while back though, hes gotten tons better) He holds wins over Roman Zentsov and Belfort, but recently lost to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira(Ghey Fight).

Anybody else think this dude is badass?

user8073964251
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
no....

Belfort hasn't done a thing in a long time. He's not a top 10 LHW.

Overeem is potentially a top 10 LHW, but he's not in Chuck's league. He's not even in Babalu/Wandy/Shogun's league... Tito would beat Overeem as well.

kingarty
08-03-2006, 11:38 AM
no....

Belfort hasn't done a thing in a long time. He's not a top 10 LHW.

Overeem is potentially a top 10 LHW, but he's not in Chuck's league. He's not even in Babalu/Wandy/Shogun's league... Tito would beat Overeem as well.

I think hes bad ass, he recently Lost to Shogun but I think he will avenge it real soon...

user8073964251
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
no... no he won't.... Shogun is out of his league and still not %100. When Shogun is %100, he is easily a top 5 Light Heavy...

I would like to see Overeem fight Arona, even though I honestly believe Arona would destroy him.

AaronC
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
the guy is huge and looks to be chisled out of marble. his knees are insane. he's a cool guy, met him when he was in town for strikeforce. he and belfort both trained at my gym =)

HardGainer82
08-03-2006, 01:21 PM
You guys know Chuck KTFO'd him in the Pride GP, right?

cgc
08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm a pretty big Belfort fan - but he has not been the same since his sister was killed. He just does not seem to be in it much any more. If Overeem would have fought Belfort before his loss....I really don't think there would have been much of a fight.

You may like Overeem - and that's cool (I like Belfort...come on), but he isn't that good....

HandOfFate
08-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Belfort won his last fight in under 25 seconds...Can't remember who he KO'd.

AMAZING HAND SPEED!

He hit a rough patch after his sister was killed, but as he said "I AM BACK!"

HulkHagen
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Overeem is pretty good but he needs to work on his cardio. I'm not sold on his standup abilities either really. Hes well-rounded but I don't think his standup is as devastating as people want to believe.

Matt B.
08-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Overeem is pretty good but he needs to work on his cardio. I'm not sold on his standup abilities either really. Hes well-rounded but I don't think his standup is as devastating as people want to believe.

I agree, he was outstruck by Frabricio Werdum. He does seem to gas more often than not...

firer0ck
08-04-2006, 04:35 AM
This dude is bad ass, he holds two victories over Belfort which is pretty hard to acheive and if he came to the UFC challenge Liddell I would totally vote for this dude, even though he lost to Liddell in 03 (That was a while back though, hes gotten tons better) He holds wins over Roman Zentsov and Belfort, but recently lost to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira(Ghey Fight).

this thread is useless without pics

-RiK-
08-04-2006, 05:18 AM
bit off topic but can i ask.. what happened to his sister? i know she was missing from her home because vitor was wearing a shirt with her face on at UFC 46 when he came to the ring, and wanted ppl to give info if they had any. but what happened with her?

HardGainer82
08-04-2006, 09:33 AM
She was kidnapped and (I believe) murdered. Sad state of affairs.

remifontaine
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok you are talking about Alistair "Gassed at the end of round 1" Overeem? Liddell would beat him again.

kingarty
08-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Hes the man, If he works on his conditioning, he will be unstoppable...

Im telling you guys hes only like 26....

CouldaBeen
08-05-2006, 03:40 AM
last fight (against little Nog), he was going good and had probably won the first round, then took one shot and his corner threw the towel. I can only guess they knew something the rest of us didn't.

As for Vitor, he has had so many career resurrections it is ridiculous. From a 19 year old freak who schooled Tank Abbot with his hands, to getting a boring decision win against Matsui (Pride 10. Only dud fight on an awesome card), to being a LH contender/champ in the UFC (although championship was somewhat cheap on Randy's nasty ass cut), to hardly making an effort after round 1 against Overeem at Strikeforce...I'll believe when I see it. Seriously could dominate if his head is right. His sister would have screwed him up bad, but he has been questionable mentally for a long time.
I also heard he was going into pro boxing more.

the terminator
08-05-2006, 08:22 AM
overeem keeps improving every year.

MenTaLPiRacY
08-05-2006, 10:11 AM

The thing that Alistair has going for him is that he is young. Yes in MMA your going to lose fights (Unless ur Fedor :P) but i have noticed that he has gotten better and there is nothing to do exept get even better. His fight agains Minotoro was sad because Alistair was dominating the fight but got rocked 1 time and his corner threw in the towel. Apparently from what i read he was not physically fit to fight that night and he made an agreement with his corner me, if he got dazed they throw in the towel. Somthing about a neck injury. Id like to see him fight in UFC against Arlovski or Chuck again.

tl_D
08-05-2006, 11:18 AM
i only like the demolition man because he got sergei kharitonov. with a huge knee

Imperfection
10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Why would somone bump this old thread? (Why would I?)

LanJai
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
He is fighting again on Nov 16 at strikeforce in san jose...i have a question though...

How come all the articles are saying that the strikeforce event on nov 16 will be first-ever sanctioned MMA tournament in the state of California, when strikeforce had a mma event at hp pavilion before in san jose and ufc does shows at Anahiem?

cgc
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Holy old post, batman...

daniel77
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
You guys know Chuck KTFO'd him in the Pride GP, right?

That and the Shogun fight he was doing very well in the beggining, and seemed to lose it in a short period of time. I think he is very talented and I would like to see him fight some more.

HardGainer82
10-25-2007, 11:12 AM
That and the Shogun fight he was doing very well in the beggining, and seemed to lose it in a short period of time. I think he is very talented and I would like to see him fight some more.

He is extremely talented; one of the best in the world...for three minutes.

daniel77
10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
He is extremely talented; one of the best in the world...for three minutes.

Alot of fights are won in under 3 minutes.

HardGainer82
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Alot of fights are won in under 3 minutes.

Way to miss the point.

daniel77
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Way to miss the point.

Thanks for explaining it.

HardGainer82
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for explaining it.

You have to be able to last longer than three minutes to have success in this sport. I thought that was pretty evident. People have learned to withstand Overeem for a few minutes then trash him.

tozemax555
10-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Overeem beats EVERYBODY for the first 3 minutes in the fight. Then he gasses. Not even like slowly gasses, but as in like amazing explosiveness for 3 minutes and then 1 second later he's like a fatass in a ripped guy's body. It's a joke. He seriously has the best skills in the world for 3 minutes but then just.. whatever.

ri0t67
10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
It's been said because it is true: He gets blown up too easily.

I really like the kid. He's got all the goods to be a marketable MMA figure except he loses as often as he wins. I really don't see him getting better however. My prediction is that he'll always be able to get paid doing this because his style is exciting, but I don't see him holding a title (that matters) ever.

kingarty
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM

Because youre a big Overeem fan? Overeem over Buentello

MisterChase
10-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I wonder if Overeem gasses so soon while sparring too. If so, then what the hell is he thinking when he goes into the real fights? "Man, I ain't gonna gas out this time. I'm gonna make sure that punk gets KTFO'd under 3 mins. I am so going to win this. Goddamn this hammer is heavy as ****."