PDA

View Full Version : Best Plyometric Drills

ZSebag
07-20-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm trying to get a bit faster atm, since I haven't gained any speed since 8th grade(I was one of the faster kids). I was wondering what plyometric drills you reccomend, their are so many I have no idea where to start.

Robby_ #52
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I could tell ya what excercises to do if you know which part you need to work on. Like if you need to work on foot speed, explosion, agility, quickness, etc. Which one of those?

jboddy34
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
tuck jumps, box jumps, bounds for height and distance, etc etc, look it up you'll find tons of stuff

ZSebag
07-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah, thats the problem. I find so much it's overwhelming, I have no idea where to start, how many exercises is a good # etc etc.

I need work on everything from acceleration to top end speed, however exceleration is the #1 thing I lack though and want more of.

jboddy34
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
do form starts, falling starts, pushup starts, focus on explosiveness. just do 2 sets of 40 yards of a bunch of different exercises like buildups, etc. do hollows and sandwich sprints, come on theres tons of stuff you can do. run hills too, doesn't hurt.

ZSebag
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
appreciate help, I just wasn't sure what type focus on which area ie: do depth jumps focus on top end speed? etc etc.

jboddy34
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
do some research....there's sites all over the place...good luck...

Zac Robinson
07-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Yeah, thats the problem. I find so much it's overwhelming, I have no idea where to start, how many exercises is a good # etc etc.

I need work on everything from acceleration to top end speed, however exceleration is the #1 thing I lack though and want more of.

During the acceleration phase there is more ground contact time, therefore you have longer time to express relative strength, as the sprint continues, acceleration decreases, GCT is shortened and now you need to express as much strength as possible in a really short time (explosive strength)!

So work on improving maximum strength for acceleration, as it improves acceleration will too. After a phase of improving maximum strength, then you can start working on explosive strength (less weight, fast movement, etc.), at this time you could include more lead up type plyometric activities (squat jumps, leaps, skips, hops, etc), don't worry about stuff like drop jumps and depth jumps until down the road. Good luck