PDA

View Full Version : Needed:Shoulder breakthrough exercise.

Team Hoss
06-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Alright folks, my shoulders seem to be lagging around and not progressing as my other muscles seem to be. I have reached a plateau and need a breakthrough exercise to put me back on track. Below is my shoulder rountine which I do once a week:

Seated Dumbbell Presses
50# x 10 reps
60# x 10 reps
70# x 10 reps
(if previous set felt good, I will do another set of 10 with 70#, ususally 6- 8 reps.)
Drop Set - 60# x 8-10 reps

Standing Front Raise (reverse grip barbell, sometimes dumbbell)
30# x 10 reps x 4 sets

Seated Cybex Machine Flyes
Plate #6 x 10 reps
Plate #7 x 10 reps
Plate #8 x 10 reps
Plate #9 x 10 reps

High Pulley Rope for Rear Delts (looks as if I'm doing back except I pull the rope to the top of my head)
Plate #12 x 10 reps x 4 sets

I need to get through a plateau. Any suggestions?

-OSD

gecko2424
06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Alright folks, my shoulders seem to be lagging around and not progressing as my other muscles seem to be. I have reached a plateau and need a breakthrough exercise to put me back on track. Below is my shoulder rountine which I do once a week:

Seated Dumbbell Presses
50# x 10 reps
60# x 10 reps
70# x 10 reps
(if previous set felt good, I will do another set of 10 with 70#, ususally 6- 8 reps.)
Drop Set - 60# x 8-10 reps

Standing Front Raise (reverse grip barbell, sometimes dumbbell)
30# x 10 reps x 4 sets

Seated Cybex Machine Flyes
Plate #6 x 10 reps
Plate #7 x 10 reps
Plate #8 x 10 reps
Plate #9 x 10 reps

High Pulley Rope for Rear Delts (looks as if I'm doing back except I pull the rope to the top of my head)
Plate #12 x 10 reps x 4 sets

I need to get through a plateau. Any suggestions?

-OSD

The DB presses work your front delts, but not to the extent you want. The flyes do nothing for your shoulders.

For the rear, I love the facepulls. Do these plus reverse flyes on the pec deck. Also do rear raises on an incline bench. Add lateral raises and focus on lifting with your elbows high (thumbs downward). Try that now and feel the difference compared to thumbs forward. I would also start with a barbell military press. It will work your shoulders a little harder than the DB presses if you can add more weight.

Also, you might do some more trap development work. Having defined traps can make the shoulders stand out a little more.

jnatale3
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
You need to incorporate some more trap exercises and then some side lateral raises. ;)

aljick
06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Try supersetting, it works wonders.
For example for front delts try supersetting military press and db frontraises.

Try to have an exercise for lateral, front and rear delts at every delt workout. That'll give aesthetic and marble-sculpted delts.
Good luck.

mightymouse37
06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Get rid of the front raises, they're pointless. If you want to keep doing them w/a reverse grip, move them to your chest workout right after inclines. That's what I do and I love the results they've given me on my upper pecs.

IMO you should just stick to basics - overhead press, maybe a few sets of lateral raises, and then some sort of rear delt exercise - I think the specific exercise is less important than being able to feel the rear delts contracting during the exercise. Really focus on that, and you'll notice a difference.

I've mentioned this before in other threads, so sorry for anyone who's sick of reading it, but here it is, take it for what it's worth... I was on the coed cheer team back in college, and for five years I never once worked my shoulders in the gym - we spent two hours at practice every day stunting with the girls, throwing them in the air [essentially a power clean] and then pressing/holding them above our heads [obviously, this would be just like an overhead press and/or push press]. Working with 115-lb girls every day made my shoulders huge, and not just the front delts - my side delts popped out something fierce, and again, I NEVER did lateral raises. I'm not saying you shouldn't do them, I'm just saying that I believe personally that pressing should be the core of your shoulder workout. I'd stick with standing overhead bb press, and just vary your grip width every few workouts, then follow that up with some lat raises and rear delts.

Oh, and don't go crazy with the volume - anything more than 9-12 sets is a bit much, IMO.

Choktu
06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I've posted this before, but i love this exercise:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBRaises.html

It's a solid compound movement for the shoulders, it focuses on middle deltoid and a bit of rear deltoid and it gets the traps well. It's also much safer than an upright row.

TravisLehr
06-26-2006, 05:40 PM
My first advice is to get off of the cables and the machines immediately. You are wasting your time right now. They should only be used when you already have mass and want to sculpt and finish off the muscle to the proportions you want.

First, u must realize that the shoulders have 3 heads that must all be worked. To have growth, u need compound movements as well.

Start off with Barbell Miltary Press and go as heavy as you can, this will be the foundation for growth in ur shoulders. Next, its time to hit the sides of the shoulders with some Lateral (side) Raises. Follow this up with working the Rear Delts with Rear Laterals. The front has already been worked hard with the BB Military Press. I would recommend finishing off your shoulder workout with Arnold Presses because they hit all 3 heads of the shoulders when performed correctly. This will ensure that your entire shoulder has been worked. Do 3 sets of each exercise with 8-12 reps as heavy as you can with proper form of course.

And like state above, work your traps with your shoulders with some BB shrugs and some DB shrugs as well, 3 sets of each at 8-12 again heavy as possible. Good Luck!

EctoHooligan
06-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Push press (a great plateau buster for your other presses)
Cleans
Clean and Press
Bent over laterals

Some of the RC exercises can hit the delts well, too, like the cuban press.
I agree with the poster who said you should drop the machines. Machines and cables are fine, nothing wrong with 'em, but almost everyone reports better progress with free weights as the main part of the workout.

Sheerin
06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
lay off the pyramids for a few weeks definately. your body probably expects pyramids day in and day out.

with seated vertical presses, warmup with 50....then find the heaviest weight you can handle, going for 6 reps. i'd say, going by what you posted you could probably handle 85's for six reps. 2+ minute rests. 4 sets like you normally do. no drop sets. just keep it real. i know sixes might be frowned upon or outdated, but they've worked for me

stick with the front raises.
again, go for 6 reps. up the weight.

lose the machine. side lateral raises, bent arm style. doesnt isolate. hits all delts and front traps.

face pulls are nice, but easy to get used to. replace them with back shrugs. HEAVY WEIGHT. no more than 15 reps. i noticed reasonable shoulder results with this. (this is where smith actually comes in handy)

also, i love arnold presses, but i could never see myself doing military presses and arnold presses in the same workout. seems too repetitive.

it cant hurt to try it for a few weeks though. good luck.

stealth_swimmer
06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
What helped shock my delts into new growth was adding one or two really light sets each of laterals and bent-over laterals and repping as many as i could but extremely slowly and getting a peak contraction of the particular head of the delts at the top of the movement. I did this for a month and my delts started growing again.

Man2kx
06-26-2006, 08:23 PM
You need:

Front Raises (with DB and overhand grip), these are the best front delt builders IMO.
Upright Rows
Rear Delt Machine
Miliary Presses
Bent over cable lateral raise