PDA

View Full Version : ATN Scopes

Achilles_
05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm looking for a good open scope for my AR-15. Anyone know how good the ATN Ultra Sight Digital Red Dot Multi Reticle Tactical scope is? Try to keep it cheap fellas. :D

NuggzTheNinja
05-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm looking for a good open scope for my AR-15. Anyone know how good the ATN Ultra Sight Digital Red Dot Multi Reticle Tactical scope is? Try to keep it cheap fellas. :D

You want a red dot?

If you don't have enough for an EOTech then get a S.P.O.T. mk III. They're excellent Aimpoint clones.

This is my AR with the EOtech on it.

The reticle looks a lot bigger in person. It's zeroed, but the gun is canted.

Achilles_
05-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Looks good thx man!

NuggzTheNinja
05-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Looks good thx man!

Note the cowitness. If my EOtech goes down, irons are right there.

BlueBayou
05-11-2006, 07:55 PM
The problem with red dots designed like the ATN is there vulnerability to being thrown off if hit hard enough around the glass housing. The housing around the glass is exposed and a hard enough hit on it can cause the glass framing to bend/distort and the glass to slightly alter its angle relative to the LED. Very miniscule alterations in the glass angle can cause very large movements in bullet impact downrange. If you get one be very wary of this. I have one of similar design, a Hakko Panorama MkIII - on a Romanian AK w/ quick release, and I dont think I would ever trust it in a truly "tactical" situation over the iron sights. I would not use this for life-threatening situations.

Like the Eotech that Nuggz suggested, one with a more protected design would be more appropriate for this- but of course youre going to pay more. The Eotech specifically has a very substantial guard around the glass housing to protect it from impact.

Try to find something with more of a protected design if you are going to be using it possibly for hectic life-threatening situations. That glass housing sticking up like that is asking it to get hit by a door frame as you move past it, or to be hit by your arm or leg in a violent sitaution. The ATN has an aluminum housing like mine, and that metal housing around the glass sticking up like it is would not take but so much for a slight deformation to occur.

The Aimpoint series is another excellent design of a red dot scope that minimizes the possibility of being thrown off from a direct blow to it. There are some less costly knock-offs of these that are probably almost as good. The Aimpoint and Eotech designs are the most used by American military, and for good reason. I cant recall ever seeing one of these ATN-type, stand-up-glass designs on a weapon in Iraq or any other battlefield or in use by law enforcement.

Outside of that, I have used an ATN on a friend's rifle, and my Hakko Panorama many times, and they are fine and work well. I wish I had bought one of a different design though that I would feel more confident with.

NuggzTheNinja
05-11-2006, 09:20 PM
The problem with red dots designed like the ATN is there vulnerability to being thrown off if hit hard enough around the glass housing. The housing around the glass is exposed and a hard enough hit on it can cause the glass framing to bend/distort and the glass to slightly alter its angle relative to the LED. Very miniscule alterations in the glass angle can cause very large movements in bullet impact downrange. If you get one be very wary of this. I have one of similar design, a Hakko Panorama MkIII - on a Romanian AK w/ quick release, and I dont think I would ever trust it in a truly "tactical" situation over the iron sights. I would not use this for life-threatening situations.

Like the Eotech that Nuggz suggested, one with a more protected design would be more appropriate for this- but of course youre going to pay more. The Eotech specifically has a very substantial guard around the glass housing to protect it from impact.

Try to find something with more of a protected design if you are going to be using it possibly for hectic life-threatening situations. That glass housing sticking up like that is asking it to get hit by a door frame as you move past it, or to be hit by your arm or leg in a violent sitaution. The ATN has an aluminum housing like mine, and that metal housing around the glass sticking up like it is would not take but so much for a slight deformation to occur.

The Aimpoint series is another excellent design of a red dot scope that minimizes the possibility of being thrown off from a direct blow to it. There are some less costly knock-offs of these that are probably almost as good. The Aimpoint and Eotech designs are the most used by American military, and for good reason. I cant recall ever seeing one of these ATN-type, stand-up-glass designs on a weapon in Iraq or any other battlefield or in use by law enforcement.

Outside of that, I have used an ATN on a friend's rifle, and my Hakko Panorama many times, and they are fine and work well. I wish I had bought one of a different design though that I would feel more confident with.

I have a Romak as well. I'm gonna put a railed fore-end on it, and put an aimpoint clone + vertical grip + flashlight on it.

Should make a good piece in case I have to break one off to a buddy or family member, but the AR is coming with me. :D

BlueBayou
05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a Romak as well. I'm gonna put a railed fore-end on it, and put an aimpoint clone + vertical grip + flashlight on it.

Should make a good piece in case I have to break one off to a buddy or family member, but the AR is coming with me. :D

Exactly. Get the railed gas tube instead of using the reciever side mount. They are very solid designs and are also afixed to the barrel instead of the reciever which just improves reliability/accuracy all that much more.The Century reciever isnt sturdy enough for this purpose IMO. I have the quick release reciever side mount. I can grab my red dot mounted on my AK and move it back and forth (reciever flexing) with minimal pressure. I'm sure it wouldnt take too much of a hit to throw off the red dot completely requiring rezeroing. This and my above post are two reasons I dont trust my setup for anything more than fun shooting or maybe hunting.

NuggzTheNinja
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Exactly. Get the railed gas tube instead of using the reciever side mount. They are very solid designs and are also afixed to the barrel instead of the reciever which just improves reliability/accuracy all that much more.The Century reciever isnt sturdy enough for this purpose IMO. I have the quick release reciever side mount. I can grab my red dot mounted on my AK and move it back and forth (reciever flexing) with minimal pressure. I'm sure it wouldnt take too much of a hit to throw off the red dot completely requiring rezeroing. This and my above post are two reasons I dont trust my setup for anything more than fun shooting or maybe hunting.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to cowitness the irons with a red dot on an AK. :(

That's one of my favorite parts of the AR design, as unintended as it may have been.