PDA

View Full Version : I feel like Im suffering for nothing!!!!

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
I have been 224lbs, 6ft tall and at about 16-18% BF for about two years, eating whatever I liked, bacon, chocolate (everyday), soda, sausage, crisps, chips, curry, rice etc etc, a pretty poor diet and huge portions at that!

Now I have been eating really clean and have added cardio to my regime up to 6 times per week, 40 mins on stationary bike. Added creatine and green tea.

I havent really budged bar 2-3lbs and Iv been at this for nearly a month, my weight workouts have been more intense, with a couple of cheat meals in the week. I have been trying to get leaner for summer.

My diet has been like: -

breakfast
oatmeal
2 x egg whites and 2 x whole eggs

mid morning
whey protein shake
Nuts

Lunch
2 slices of wholemeal bread
150g lean meat or tin of tuna

Afternoon
Whey protein meal replacer - maximuscle cyclone
creatine, glutamine, 20g carbs, 30g protein. 3g fat.

Post Workout
whey protein drink
2 slices of white bread

Dinner
Vegetable Medley - cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, baby corn - 20g carbs
150g lean meat or tuna something high protein.

Before Bed
Pint of Skimmed Milk- 25g Carbs, 20g proteing, less than1 g Fat
2 tablespoons of flaxeed oil

Have Chromium and green tea extract twice a day!

Cardio 40 mins stationary bike

and dependant on work a 4 or 5 day weight training split.

Around 4-5 litres of water, the odd diet coke.

BEFORE THIS -

4 or 5 day split as above Cardio rarely and sometimes, go out on bike, swim but not regular.

Breakfast

Huge oatmeal with syrup
Chocolate chip muffin
whey protein drink

Mid morning
Fruit, pint of whole milk

Dinner
Two Cheese salad sandwiches
Packets of crisps
Chocolate bar
SODA

Afternoon
MEal replacement drink before workout

Post workout
white bread toasted with Jam
whey protein drink

Dinner

Two chicken pieces in breadcrumbs
Chips/potato waffles 2 or 3
Baked Beans

Chocolate Bar
Soda

Before BEd
Cereal - weetabix/Oatmeal

1-2 litres of Soda
1-2 litres of water
no green tea extract

I havent budged!!!!!!!!!!
My stomach feels softer if possible but I look NO leaner, the above diet was much easier, tasted better and I didnt count calories or worry about intake of anything. I even ate sweets, curries , macdonalds etc etc etc

Why havent I moved?
Or have I and I am putting in some muscle at the same time through adding more protein/creatine and glutamine to my diet and the affect is 'levelling off'?!?!

I hope so because if I carry on like this I am going to lose my ability to metabolise so much junk food and BEER lovely lovely beer (that I have hugely cut out!), Losing hours extra per week on cardio, not to mention the added effort etc, anyone else felt like this? Just like jacking it in and remaining as are without all this effort?

My stomach is flat and my chest/arms/shoulders are big and obviously muscular to the eye, Im just not cut up like some others.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards to you all!

Wannabsexy
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I recommend you do some walking/jogging/running.
Stationary bike does help at all.
Running uses all your leg muscles plus arm muscles.Bench pressing will get rid of any fat in the chest area.

P01Shooter
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
You know... you just don't sound ready for this. You LOVE your beer, junkfood, etc. Why bother? You ate how many calories a day before? And now you're eating around 1500? You sound happy where you are and with what you used to eat you don't sound that bad physically.

Your diet needs more food and perhaps your entire plan needs to be reworked. Check out Burn the fat feed the muscle by Tom Venutto, the carb cycling thread, or study up elsewhere.

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 12:09 PM
thanks so far

I ate probably up to 4000 some days to be honest, I dont want rubbish results meaning I cant eat junk on cheat days perhaps.

Mate (instructor) says as I am my metabolism is high obviously, I should just eat a bit cleaner he reckons, lose the soda (I have already dont forget) lose chocolate until a cheat day, still eat some rubbish just reducing portions, then with adding cardio I should lose fat and keep most muscle and this could be a way of eatin permanently not jogging around cutting and bulking.

Oh and on my days off were I dont have to get up at 4.30 am just to do the stationary bike I tend to have a couple of runs a week in place of bike on the treadmill, to change it up a bit

P01Shooter
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I'd keep your calories the same, do cardio 3 times a week, and cut the crap out of your diet unless you are out with your friends (1 or 2 x's a week). The results won't be the fastest but given enough time you'll look pretty good and probably end up around 12%. Improve what you can but still be happy with your lifestyle. Life is a balancing act and having a ripped ass isn't as important to some of us that like to eat good food and hang out with friends without always ordering a grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies. As you progress you can make further changes but start small and if you end up wanting to be leaner you can always do that.

Philabong
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Ditch the stationary bike... how can sitting on your ass for 40 mins be effective? If you dont like running, hit the eliptical.

Clean up your diet. "a couple cheat meals in the week" means you are not suffering much, if at all. Kill that white bread, it's almost as bad as drinking soda. Up your calories to 2k and see how you respond.

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 12:27 PM
white bread is the simple carb needed after training and recommended by many.

stationary bike is all i can do when Im working from 7am, I like to do it fasted. As for the 'how can sitting on you arse....' ask lance armstrong hat question or sir steve redgrave on the rower! I run when I can, I live in the UK it rains hard up in the north quite a lot and dont fancy viruses from sweating in the cold rain!

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
and I am suffering if you consider the previous diet to the new one and cardio 5 days a week included!!

P01Shooter
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
White bread as your pwo carb source? Um, ok but I've never seen it recommended anywhere to consume white bread.

Study my man. Study.

TheVirtualTaco
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I recommend you do some walking/jogging/running.
Stationary bike does help at all.
Running uses all your leg muscles plus arm muscles.Bench pressing will get rid of any fat in the chest area.
Wow.
Lots of info that is WRONG.

The stationary bike is good for cardio.
You WILL NOT lose bodyfat on your chest by doing bench press.

YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE.

TheVirtualTaco
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Ditch the stationary bike... how can sitting on your ass for 40 mins be effective? If you dont like running, hit the eliptical.

Clean up your diet. "a couple cheat meals in the week" means you are not suffering much, if at all. Kill that white bread, it's almost as bad as drinking soda. Up your calories to 2k and see how you respond.
More WRONG info.

How can sitting on your ass for 40 minutes be effective? Try PEDALING.
Effective cardio=getting your heart rate in an optimum fat burning zone (approx. 65-80% of MHR) and maintaining that level. Any exercise that recruits large muscle groups (like running, biking, elliptical, jump roping) will be effective in fat oxidization.

Philabong
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Sorry bro, but Lance biking up the side of a mountain is NOT the same as you sitting on the stationary bike for 15 minutes per day.

Rain does not carry virus. Do you own this stationary bike, as in it's in your flat? If not, use the tredmill or eliptical at the gym.... if so... use the tredmill or eliptical at the gym. They open early, true story. While your at the gym, do 3 sets for 8-12 reps of the following 3x per week: Squat, Dead Lift, Bench Press, Military Press, Bentover Row, Upright row. In fact, do those before your cardio which is, for reference, eliptical or tredmill.

I've NEVER heard anyone in the BB community recomend white bread for anything other than a TP replacement. Seriously, you're fighting everything you're asking for. We can't take the fat off for you. Listen to what people are saying, do some EXTENSIVE reading, get a diet and workout routine down. You don't have to eat clean forever, but it helps ALOT for what you are looking to do. And after you've achieved your goals, you will be more mindfull of your body and be able to controll yourself when you are not eating clean. Never stop exercising.

Philabong
05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but!

How is a question wrong information? I wanted the poster to answer the question. He obviously does not know and is fighting the answers to his own quesions.

More WRONG info.

How can sitting on your ass for 40 minutes be effective? Try PEDALING.
Effective cardio=getting your heart rate in an optimum fat burning zone (approx. 65-80% of MHR) and maintaining that level. Any exercise that recruits large muscle groups (like running, biking, elliptical, jump roping) will be effective in fat oxidization.

TheVirtualTaco
05-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm not looking to pick a fight here, but!

How is a question wrong information? I wanted the poster to answer the question. He obviously does not know and is fighting the answers to his own quesions.
If you want the original poster to answer the question about the stationary bike, throw in "To the OP:" As it is right now, it looks like you are asking a rhetorical question.

RE:
"Sorry bro, but Lance biking up the side of a mountain is NOT the same as you sitting on the stationary bike for 15 minutes per day."

I'm not talking about Lance Armstrong biking up a hill. I'm also not talking about 15 minutes on a stationary bike. Fifteen minutes of any cardio (unless it's HIIT) is worthless. I'm talking about 30-45 minutes of stationary biking with your heart rate at 65-80% of your MHR (Max Heart Rate).

You're trying to completely disqualify the stationary bike as a solid form of cardio. I can say, from personal experience, that it is a very good form of cardio. I used that as my cardio and lost 25 pounds of fat over 16 weeks. I burned, on average, 500-600 calories per 45-minute session. It (like the elliptical) is also easier on the knees than running. This helps immensely when you had a high intensity leg workout the day before.

Moral of the story: Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the stationary bike, don't do it. YOU may not find it effective. Others might find it highly effective.

JaeGee
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I do my HIT cardio on a recumbent bike for the one reason that I can push myself to my limits on a bike and only on a bike. You can't do the same on a treadmill or other machine because of the safety issue.

If you aren't doing HIT I would recommend a treadmill because people just looking for 40 minutes of cardio on a bike tend to slack off and pedal half ass and watch tv instead of actually attempting to get your heart rate up.

On a treadmill you are forced to run atleast.

But for HIT I would strongly recommend recumbent bike over any other equipment.

northernstar
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I think you're doing too much cardio. Cardio can be catabolic and more does not equal better results. I would aim for 1-2 HIIT sessions (have you been doing HIIT?) and 2-3 SS or interval sessions of cardio.
I bet you'll get better results with 3 days of cardio a week than you've been getting with 6 days.
Also...what are you daily totals for your diet?

Philabong
05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
If you want the original poster to answer the question about the stationary bike, throw in "To the OP:" As it is right now, it looks like you are asking a rhetorical question.

My bad, your posts came in after I started writing my replies, IIRC. I usually quote when the post I'm replying too is not the last in the thread.

RE:"Sorry bro, but Lance biking up the side of a mountain is NOT the same as you sitting on the stationary bike for 15 minutes per day."

I'm not talking about Lance Armstrong biking up a hill. I'm also not talking about 15 minutes on a stationary bike. Fifteen minutes of any cardio (unless it's HIIT) is worthless. I'm talking about 30-45 minutes of stationary biking with your heart rate at 65-80% of your MHR (Max Heart Rate).

You're trying to completely disqualify the stationary bike as a solid form of cardio. I can say, from personal experience, that it is a very good form of cardio. I used that as my cardio and lost 25 pounds of fat over 16 weeks. I burned, on average, 500-600 calories per 45-minute session. It (like the elliptical) is also easier on the knees than running. This helps immensely when you had a high intensity leg workout the day before.

You are right. I am trying to disqualify it... although for this poster only. Biking is a great form of cardio and even better for people with joint issues or just plain don't like running. But, imho, it is easier to slack off on the stationary bike, and for n00bs (not excluding myself) it's quite easy to sit there and diddle daddle for 45 mins and call it a cardio workout. The tredmill and elipticals you can "set it and forget it", and keep yourself moving at a decent pace for the entire workout.

Moral of the story: Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the stationary bike, don't do it. YOU may not find it effective. Others might find it highly effective.

Agreed. However, if you're not putting enough effort to accomplish your goal (of a cardio workout), what's the point? The OP wanted opinions on how to better his workout and fat loss goals. I gave mine.

Philabong
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
If you aren't doing HIT I would recommend a treadmill because people just looking for 40 minutes of cardio on a bike tend to slack off and pedal half ass and watch tv instead of actually attempting to get your heart rate up.

On a treadmill you are forced to run atleast.

Exactly my point, in this thread.

DJohnson
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I gain 7lbs on creatine mono which I drop a few weeks after I stop use.

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks for the final post suggesting creatine might be levelling my weight off, phillabong read my original thread, stationary bike 40 mins, yes its in my house, I never said rain carries viruses but getting cold and wet at 5 am will be bad for the bodies 'thermostat' and not my idea of great before work. I AM IN THE UK.

White bread is recommended in this months copy of muscle and fitness.

cant think of any other points to raise.

lespaulsarecool
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
no gym in a TWENTY mile radius opens before 8am, I have said I start work at 7 am and have to set off at 6.15 am, no gym I have ever heard of IN THE UK opens at 4.30-5am for me to start my cardio sessions.

Does anyone else agree that Im doing too much cardio, or that my loss of around 4lbs in a period of 4-5 weeks with so much difference to my previous diet and activity level could be from training weights harder, regulating my protein and taking creatine monohydrate????

lespaulsarecool
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
bump