PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about ankle sprain

Cowart69
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Its been about 3 weeks since my 14 year old son got a high ankle strain playing in a playoff basketball game (it will be 3 weeks on Saturday actually)

He isn't limping, and has resumed training (lightly...not at full speed yet) some light plyo and strengthening type stuff but no running yet.

What concerns me is he hasn't shedded the ankle brace (he has one of the good lace up ones) he continues to wear it even though he says he doesn't have any pain anymore.

Just how long does a high ankle sprain last? I dont want to push him and if he needs to see a doctor I want to get him in right away but he swears to me there is no pain, there is no bruising and no swelling.

Anybody have any dealings with high ankle sprains?

noshe24JP70
04-18-2006, 12:56 PM
The ankle brace may have become a comfort blanket for him. So the injury is a mental thing and he worried that id he doesnt wear it the ankle will become injuried again. I would recommend taking it slow and make he has plenty of time to rest, you are right not for pushing him, but you definitely want to stay on top of it and look for and changes in his form or how he is moving, because the body will try to compensate for any pain or if there is something wrong.

carl.c
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
First question is who diagnosed high ankle sprain. I would assume a doctor since he has a brace.
A high ankle sprain involves the ligament that conects the tibua and fibuia.
It may help to talk him to the doctor that diagnoised the high ankle sprain.
Going by your post I would say he's nervous not unusal but you need to work him throuhg it. Don't push just support him and incurrage him to lose the brace.
Start with light drills mainly flexability of the lower leg. After one week start adding impact drills. He should be back into full training with in 3 weeks. Pay attention to pain, swelling or lose of stranth. It any of these things occur have him re-checked.

Cowart69
04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I actually didn't take him to a doctor...he was evaluated by the trainer he works with this time of year (has knowledge in sports medicine) who diagnosed high sprain.

There actually hasn't been any swelling or bruising of the ankle since the first day.....its been about 3 weeks now and I see him wanting to push on it a bit here and there.......but he isn't losing the brace so yeah maybe it is a confidence issue.

Its probably no big deal....my fear is that months from now he goes out to training camp for freshman football and has an injury that could have been prevented. He is going to need to push on it hard to compete for his positions, but he also has a lot of work to do before training camp starts.

carl.c
04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
If you have contact with the trainer ask him for some advice. The trainer should be willing to help you.

Cowart69
04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
He has and is working with him now....lots of work in the pool and strengthening the muscules around the ankle so that he does suffer weakness from not working the muscules....

he says everything is fine and he will get back on schedule...I am just looking for other opinions.....

bigdeezy74
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
i would let him wear the ankle brace for as long as he wants. because sport like basketball theres lots of ankle injurys.

teriyakisaki
04-18-2006, 07:02 PM
i wouldnt worry about it. the brace's dont hinder performance, and they actually help prevent further injury. the older he gets, the more likely it is he will wear a brace or tape. ive played sports all my life and have rolled or sprained my ankles numerous times. now i just tape as a profilactic, and its more comfortable for me.

if he feels fine, then leave it at that. just make it clear to him, that hes far too young to be pushing it, especially now that he's in the offseason. this is the time to heal up and take it easy.

Person
04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Try this for 2-3x a week for a couple weeks (at least) and see how it progresses:

-Ice bath (it needs to be an ice bath of some sort to ensure the tissue gets cold enough) the injured ankle for 20 minutes. After this, you have ~2 minutes where you can do exercises like single leg hops (easy though) and stuff involving ankle flexion and the like without worry for injury (for the most part) and will definitely strengthen the injured ankle. This can be repeated up to 3x a day. It takes a while, but is definitely worth it.

I may also consider something like Equi-Block if it is just a continuing, nagging pain (search it, I'm not going to get into details).

JTexas
04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I sprained my ankle in January and tonight was the first time I felt comfortable playing tennis without a brace. The problem was never the pain, it was the strength. I didn't feel comfortable pushing off with that foot without the brace. It was both psychological and physical. It really took a long time to gain that strength back and even more time to not consciously favor that foot.

I wouldn't put a timetable on your son. Let him know that the brace isn't a crutch and someday it will have to come off. Any athelete will want the full range of motion back asap, so I think he'll have it off in no time. It took me 4 months to feel comfortable again, then again, I don't heal like a highschooler anymore.

Good luck and best wishes.

carl.c
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Cowart69: trust in the trainer. He has a plan for your son and it is best to stick to it. If you are conserned talk to him in private most trainers are more then willing to talk to parents and are very understanding.
Right know it may seem like progress is slow but the trainer will move your son to the next level when he is strong enough.