PDA

View Full Version : kidney stones

XXXL_Bryan
02-08-2008, 06:45 PM
suck.

feel great in the morning, make it to my workout and have been strong as hell. eating well. tons of fluids.

since wednesday, every night my pain has been a 7/10. taking my anti-inflamatories. had to break out the percocet tonight. this is the 4th stone I have had in 5 years.

anyone else been the lucky recipient of one of these fine jems?

Mark1T
02-08-2008, 06:55 PM
suck.

feel great in the morning, make it to my workout and have been strong as hell. eating well. tons of fluids.

since wednesday, every night my pain has been a 7/10. taking my anti-inflamatories. had to break out the percocet tonight. this is the 4th stone I have had in 5 years.

Yes. But, I have not had one since 2000. I increased my fluids. Since you said you drink plenty of fluids, that stumps me. Instead of depending on the water fountain at the gym, I take 1 liter of water with a little Gatorade powder mixed in for the salts and I am able to consume more. I drink 99% of it during my 45 minute workout.

That made a difference for me. Percocet? Hell, Morphine didn't even phase my pain.

BergMuscle
02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
My dad had 'em several times. I remember him colapsed on the bathroom floor on Fathers' Day when I was 11 (his first stone) and years later holding the cup and bracing him as he took his first pee in his hospital bead after surgery (painful beyond words based on his reaction).

I keep hoping that, since I seem to have gotten more of my genes from my mom's side of the family, that I'll be able to pass on that.

m1212
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes and mine was way to big to pass and i had just started working for a new co. so i had to wait 60 days to have it removed. I had a few MISERABLE nights. I dont know how much u drink , but my dr said during summer months i should be drinking enough water in which i could fill up a 2 liter jug with urine everyday. So i realized i was not drinking enough.
Man u just brought back some bad memories

SurveyGator
02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Man I just had the first one last September. Had no idea what the hell was going on. I thought I was dying. Emergency room at 2 am. A litlle dilloted (sp) in the IV and all was good.

Out of the hospital by 5 am with percocet in hand - stoned passed at 7:00am - Doc said take it easy, stay out of the sun, and no alcohol so of course I was off to the first Dolphin game of the year by 9:00am.

Doc says I have already started to form another one. I try to drink at least 2-3 liters of H2O a day. Sometimes that's hard to do.

I would not wish one of those suckers on my worse enemy.

911medic
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep, been blessed twice. You know, that they say that the pain from a kidney stone is as close as a man will come to the pain of childbirth. When I had my first one the nurse walks in and says "So, whatcha going to name it?"

I told her I didn't know for sure but "Sonofabitch" came immediately to mind. ;)

I would only wish a kidney stone on a few people in this world.

No damn wonder they hurt....

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/Stonewall1563/kidneystones.jpg

taf1968
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, yes . . . I have literally "felt your pain." Day before Thanksgiving about 4 years ago, I came home from the gym after having a great workout and jumped in the shower to get ready for work. Then it hit me out of absolutely nowhere! Doubled over in pain and could barely stay on my feet . . . my wife had to take me to the ER where they kept me on fluids and doped me up with Toradol (sp?) for about 8 hours. Got sent home later that day.

Passed the stone the next morning . . . and it was the tiniest freakin' thing! I could not believe something that small could have caused that much excruciating pain (and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain). I thought I was going to die and I never EVER want to have another one.

I drink so much water now that I might sprout gills.

:)

XXXL_Bryan
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
going to ride it out this weekend. if it doesnt pass or improve, then I will have a study done monday. I carry a 1 liter bottle at the gym and go through 1 or 2 no problem. this stemmed from having the GI flu last weekend. I was so dehydrated from vomiting and stooling I am certain it caused this one to attepmt to pass. I have 3 others and each one was preceede by dehydration.

amoreno
02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Been there ... once ... about five years ago. I was in so much pain that I passed out while my wife was driving me to the hospital. She freaked out and pulled over and called 911. That was my first ride in an ambulance. And my first taste of morphine (yum).

The nearest hospital was so booked up, the only open bed they had was in the maternity ward. You'd think the nurses there had never seen a man before. They kept poking their heads into my room to see the strange visitor.

Anyway, I passed the stone as soon as I got there, and luckily I've never had another problem. I turned into a filtered water drinking fool after that episode!

baker
02-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I was told in December that I have 5 or 6 of them. I had to have another CT and Xray last week
and won't get the results for another two weeks. I really dont know if I have passed any.
My pain feels like I have a vice clamping down on my lower abdomen and back. It has brought
me to my knees several times and Vicotin won't touch it when the pain is bad. :(

Bob45
02-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Never had them myself but just talked to a friend that had quite a few. He just figured out it was from coffee and soda. He drank plenty of water.

someday
02-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Yep, been blessed twice. You know, that they say that the pain from a kidney stone is as close as a man will come to the pain of childbirth.

this was obviously stated by a man.........what a bunch of pussies! :D

baker
02-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Ouch...

resurrected
02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
suck.

I was told that lemon juice daily would aid in stopping the formation of the stones. But it needs to be pure lemon juice in water. I use it and make a sugar free lemonaid 2 times a day.

freebirdmac
02-09-2008, 07:50 AM

LOL!

Mark1T
02-09-2008, 07:55 AM
When it comes to kidney stones, I admit it - I am a major pussy, but I will never say it is like having a baby :p

dhofer
02-09-2008, 09:25 AM

My wife has had stones on and off for about 11 years, the first bout she had 8 in her right kidney and 6 in the left, wound up having lithotripsie? (sp) sonic blast. to break them up. since then she has had at least one a year. We have three kids and even she says its worse than childbearing. I'll take her word for it. LOL

Obadiah!
02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, this is a timely post. I'll be doing lithotripsy this week for a stone. Don't know what childbirth feels like, but they tell me I have a 6mm stone caught in the 3mm ureter. So, if childbirth feels anything like taking a baseball bat and continually smashing you hard in the back kidney area, then yeah, there is definitely some discomfort to that.

911medic
02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
My wife has had stones on and off for about 11 years, the first bout she had 8 in her right kidney and 6 in the left, wound up having lithotripsie? (sp) sonic blast. to break them up. since then she has had at least one a year. We have three kids and even she says its worse than childbearing. I'll take her word for it. LOL

Same thing my Mother says. :)

someday
02-09-2008, 10:53 AM

i dunno.......i've never had kidney stones, but i have had 2 kids both without even a bit of pain medicine. did your wife have a totally 3 totally all natural childbirths or did she get any drugs, an epidural or have a c section? i sticking by what i said........at least for now. :)

antonbrn
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Lower your salt intake, and red meat intake. Another thing you can do is drink a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. You can google it to find the correct amount of each. I'm on 3 different med's for kidney stones, but I still have some attacks, just not as many as I had when I was younger. But seriously, check out the lemon juice/olive oil mixture.

antonbrn
02-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Hey they say it's the closest a man can come to knowing what it's like to give birth!!! Ouch!

antonbrn
02-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, this is a timely post. I'll be doing lithotripsy this week for a stone. Don't know what childbirth feels like, but they tell me I have a 6mm stone caught in the 3mm ureter. So, if childbirth feels anything like taking a baseball bat and continually smashing you hard in the back kidney area, then yeah, there is definitely some discomfort to that.

You'll be in our prayers. Make sure you can use the bathroom when you wake up, or...... well just make sure you can go.

gneal
02-11-2008, 09:09 AM

That's hilarious.....

My wife had hers naturally and I was there to see it. I have had stones one time......I would have to give her the trophy for most pain, but I'll tell you what, those stones dropped me to the ground on the 1st hole of the golf course and wouldn't want them again.

Mark1T
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Lower your salt intake, and red meat intake. Another thing you can do is drink a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. You can google it to find the correct amount of each. I'm on 3 different med's for kidney stones, but I still have some attacks, just not as many as I had when I was younger. But seriously, check out the lemon juice/olive oil mixture.

Which 3 meds are you on, and what do they do? Thanks.

johnsue79
02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
got my first stone in my late 20's, they continued up untill 5 years ago. then during a ct scan for a perforated colon, it was noted that i had a golf ball size stone in my left kidney & scores of smaller fragments. months later after the colon fix i finally went to a urologist, turned out to be a near record setting uric stone. did lithotripsy along with a kidney stent so that the broken pieces would pass pain free into my bladder. well that only worked to a small degree, so after a month they finally went in through my penis with a laser and blasted all the remaining pieces to smithereins, during that procedure my kidney hemoraged leaving me in the hospital for 4 days to undergo a catherized kidney flush. since then ive been stone free. i take allopurinal & uricit-k(standard uric stone meds), drink lots of water, eat a very healthy diet and have a KUB ultrasound every 6 months. i think i'd rather have a baby.---------------------------john

porcupinetree
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
http://www.kingmaker.net/DeadDoctorstxt.html

I would say read the whole thing. It will make more sense when you get to the part about kindey stones.

This works. I have friends with kidney stones actually have them just disolve and go away when they took the right calcium and other supps.
BUt it has to be the right stuff.

freebirdmac
02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
got my first stone in my late 20's, they continued up untill 5 years ago. then during a ct scan for a perforated colon, it was noted that i had a golf ball size stone in my left kidney & scores of smaller fragments. months later after the colon fix i finally went to a urologist, turned out to be a near record setting uric stone. did lithotripsy along with a kidney stent so that the broken pieces would pass pain free into my bladder. well that only worked to a small degree, so after a month they finally went in through my penis with a laser and blasted all the remaining pieces to smithereins, during that procedure my kidney hemoraged leaving me in the hospital for 4 days to undergo a catherized kidney flush. since then ive been stone free. i take allopurinal & uricit-k(standard uric stone meds), drink lots of water, eat a very healthy diet and have a KUB ultrasound every 6 months. i think i'd rather have a baby.---------------------------john

Geez! After all of that I'd sure hope you'd never get another one. Yikes.

XXXL_Bryan
02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
as an update;

passed the stone on sat. went straight to the gym.
trained sun
trained today and went to tae kwan do
I feel terrific.
ultrasound later in the week.

best of luck to those prone to these
congrats to those who have never had one!

antonbrn
02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Which 3 meds are you on, and what do they do? Thanks.

uro cit k
allopurinol
indapamide

They help my body produce less kidney stones, to make a long story short.

Obadiah!
02-12-2008, 06:00 AM
If there is anything "good" about kidney stones it is that there is no disruption of training for me. Only the occasion when the stone decides to start moving and create intense pain does life cease to exist. All other times things are just peachy. In fact, I had a great, intense workout last night! That's the funny thing, stones are like ticking time bombs. When they move or block, the functioning world around me stops. When they don't move, life is good.

Thanks to all for the good info provided in this thread.