PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a calculator in Excel for the following items...?

Ballistics
01-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Lets say I have the following weight plates for my home gym:

4x 10 kg
6x 2 kg
8x 1kg
2x 20 kg

I want to make a calculator in Excel where I say I want a total of 12 kg (for example), and it automatically assigns the available plates for each side of my weight lifting bar (so 6 kg per side).

It has to consider that I only have those available plates. And if it can't find a perfect match, it has to find the nearest weight.

Any ways this can be done in Excel?

Yes, I know it's easy so work out the weights on your own but I have a lot more weights than that and it would be quite helpful to plan my periodization routine more quickly. I'm sure it could come in helpful for others too.

saladpants
01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
The only way I can think is using the built in visual basic scripting, but there may be excel functions that can be used...

Interesting project, if it wasnt midnight i'd have a tinkle myself

totalrookie
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
something simple that might work - i've attached a spreadsheet...

basically enter the weight you want in the max weight column
then look at column d to find out what you kg weights you need based on the values youve given me...

so for 30 it shows
10,2,2,1 which is what you'd put on each side (15kg)

boo-yah?

jay415
01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
The only way I can think is using the built in visual basic scripting, but there may be excel functions that can be used...

Interesting project, if it wasnt midnight i'd have a tinkle myself
Excel uses visual basic scripting. Almost ANYTHING can be done with excel,(if you know how)

Lets say I have the following weight plates for my home gym:

4x 10 kg
6x 2 kg
8x 1kg
2x 20 kg

I want to make a calculator in Excel where I say I want a total of 12 kg (for example), and it automatically assigns the available plates for each side of my weight lifting bar (so 6 kg per side).

It has to consider that I only have those available plates. And if it can't find a perfect match, it has to find the nearest weight.

Any ways this can be done in Excel?

Yes, I know it's easy so work out the weights on your own but I have a lot more weights than that and it would be quite helpful to plan my periodization routine more quickly. I'm sure it could come in helpful for others too.

Try This I made it for lbs but can easily be changed to kg. It is easily customized. Let me know what you think.