PDA

View Full Version : Long time lifters

81Ort
01-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Do you guys find that the stronger you get the longer it takes to fully recuperate after a very intense workout?

Danimal
01-31-2006, 05:54 AM
yes, but I think there are other factors involved. Age, nutrition, rest, and volume all come into play. I find I have a longer recovery time and usually get a lot more sore when I do higher reps and volume with lower weight than if I go in and hit a heavy triple and then do some assistance.

powerlifter70
01-31-2006, 06:10 AM
That is not the case for me. I run my training in 10 to 12 week cycles depending on when I have a meet. I try to compete about 4 times a year and some of the meets are only 5 to 6 weeks apart. I have competed in back to back meets only a week apart and have not had any problems. I think that as long as you get enough rest and eat enough of the good stuff, you will recover just as fast as when you were new to the game.

glk19
01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
im not exactly a long term lifter but ive been hitting it hard for about 4 years. for the past year or so, its like my recovery has gone to crap. if i wanted to, back in the day i could bench 3 times a week with no soreness (not that i did). now, after chest day, im sore for 4-5 days...

RobW
02-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Do you guys find that the stronger you get the longer it takes to fully recuperate after a very intense workout?

Travis,

I have some bad news for you....It's not the Stronger you get, it the OLDER you get that makes it harder to recover.....It's all downhill from Here :D

THESHAWNRAYWAY
02-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah I agree, age has to be the most prominate factor affecting recovery time. But there are many other factors involved.

81Ort
02-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Aww don't tell me that I'm only 24!!! That's gong to suck.

Bad_Vibes
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM

lol, 24 is actually about right at the age when that starts. Wait till you go and try to play softball after not playing the whole year. Holy ****!!!!!!!!

RobW
02-02-2006, 12:02 AM

Travis,

Don't get too bumed out, you still get stronger...it just takes longer to recover :D

Anyway....wait till you realise your hair is falling out....you have such fun times to look forward too :D

phreak
02-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I recover better now, age 32, than I did at 18. And this is while my workouts themselves are more intense AND have more volume. For me it's all in the diet. No ****loads of protein, but plenty of low-GI carbs and fats.

DuracellBunny
02-02-2006, 01:20 AM
I think normal innate recovery doesn't change with strength but will change eventually with age as testosterone goes down. Overall recovery is still the same or even better though as when you have been lifting longer you normally learn how to manage/aid the process so you achieve a net gain in recovery compared to when you were younger/less experienced.